J Walking

J Walking

A challenge

posted by David Kuo

Ok, this will require an honor code.
While thinking this morning about Christians and politics this jumped to mind. As one who tries to follow Jesus and one who talks about the importance of the spiritual first and the political second I want to let you know that I failed the following quiz miserably. (And I even thought up the questions!)
There are only two questions.
1. Name the nine Supreme Court justices.

2. Name the nine things that Paul describes as the “fruit of the spirit.”
I got #1 right. #2 I couldn’t do.
It is just another example of how I interest myself more with the political than the spiritual. It is great to know our Justices. We should. But how much more important for those who call themselves Jesus’ followers to know the very fruit by which we are to be known.
Thank God he forgives.
Answers:
1. Alito, Breyer, Ginsburg, Kennedy, Roberts, Scalia, Souter, Stevens, Thomas
2. Love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance

Thinker

posted July 9, 2007 at 7:26 pm

1, 6.9 only because I’m old
2, 8/9 only because I am taking a class and this has been the centerpoint – forgot that long-suffering thing

Doug

posted July 9, 2007 at 7:36 pm

I had the same result. Just an observation: the political world is part of our environment and it actively compels our involvement. The fruits of the spirit, we cultivate internally, so it is up to us alone to remember them. The horizontal is easier to know well than the vertical, although much less important.
One more observation:
Alan Bannister, Bucky Dent, Oscar Gamble, Richie Zisk, Chet Lemon, Jorge Orta, Brian Dowling, Jim Spencer, Ken Brett. That’s the not-quite-in-order batting line-up of the Chicago White Sox as I remember it from 1976. I’m not 100% sure I have that quite right but it’s pretty close. I’m not real sure we had a Supreme Court when I was 8 years old.
Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 2005 world champions!

JP

posted July 9, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Not to rain on your parade, but that was the 1977 White Sox! :)
I LOVED that team

David Kuo

posted July 9, 2007 at 11:19 pm

I love it. Yeah, I can still name a very high number of Pittsburgh Steeelers from their domination years in the 1970s and I am sure I had no idea that fruit had spirits.

Doug

posted July 9, 2007 at 11:26 pm

JP, you’re absolutely right. Zisk didn’t come until 1977. Maybe I’m saved, after all.
David, I remember those 70′s Steelers teams fondly, too. Sadly, I remember most of the Cowboy’s players from that era, too. But not fondly.

Thinker

posted July 10, 2007 at 1:12 am

There was a great little Scottish film about 25 years ago called Gregory’s Girl. And I want Doug, and JP and David to run right out an rent that sucker. It’s about guys and numbers and the girls who don’t get it.
I do however remember the 85 Royals Geroge Brett, Frank White, Dick Howswer, – well that’s the only three I remember.. Do recall a ball rolling through the legs of Bill Buck and losing for the Boston Redsocks and then a very messy play in the last inning of the sixth game. Hey – that’s pretty good for a girl.

Doug

posted July 10, 2007 at 9:49 am

Buckner, Thinker. Bill Buckner, and there was nothing funny about that play. They say that after that game he was so depressed he stepped out in front of a passenger train which, thankfully, passed harmlessly between his legs.
I saw Gregory’s Girl in High School and enjoyed it a lot once my ear started picking up the words cloaked in Scots. But I’ll rent it again.

Trish Ryan

posted July 10, 2007 at 9:51 am

I was feeling all proud of myself b/c I knew all the answers to #2…then I read the comments about baseball. There’s just no denying that the Red Sox are getting far more enthusiasm from me than the Bible has this summer. UGH. I’m off to repent and recalibrate…

David Kuo

posted July 10, 2007 at 10:32 am

I will pray for your soul Trish. Let us know. You can be saved.

Thinker

posted July 10, 2007 at 11:15 am

Ahaa, Trish, I only discovered that baseball was a metaphor for everything about three years ago. And Scripture contains metaphors for everything. Therefore, you can connect the two. Oh, I’m stretching a bit. But, you see I met the holy man of baseball before he died – Buck O’Neal. We’re talking the baseball equivalent of – let me see – dare I say – Paul?
Went through the Negro Leagues Museum and my docent – Buck O’Neal. Holy man of baseball.
Not sure my baseball belief is heretical to my Christian faith, but I don’t think so. Baseball has reflected clearly every single huge moral issue in American history – it was the place we began to work our the conundrum of race and the one where we can clearly see some issues of injustice that might escape us. I’ve discovered that if someone loves baseball – they are capable of deep conversation on almost anything. Football – not so much. Now basketball – it has its own world of mythology and metaphor, but I don’t get it. Yet. Since my single favorite sporting event is moving the books from one room to the other and coming up with another means of organizing them, I am always surprised when I go out to the stadium and feel that emotion thaat comes with the first pitch.

Marlene

posted July 10, 2007 at 2:52 pm

Thanks to all the baseball posters for validating my love of the game. My scholarly friends do not “get” my passion for the sport. They do not see the similarity between a pas de deux in ballet and a well-executed double play. To me, both are the height of elegance and grace.
Some of my fondest memories are of countless summer evenings at Dodger Stadium watching National League super-stars, my favorite being the great left-hander, Sandy Koufax (who pitched a no-hitter on my birthday — I still have the ticket stub with a treasured Koufax-signed baseball). Since I now live in the middle of the country, I am also a Cardinals fan. To my great and utter dismay, my little grandsons prefer soccer!

linda

posted July 11, 2007 at 1:39 am

i got all the spiritual ones bt i could only thing of scalia as a judge and i think ruth bayer genshaft is retired…

Donny

posted July 11, 2007 at 8:14 am

When you look at the actions and behaviors of Progressive and Liberal politicals, in contrast to answer number 2., you see why I have such a negative view of it.

Jennifer

posted July 11, 2007 at 4:28 pm

1. Thomas, Alito, I just don’t know. I am bad at this!
2. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

seth

posted July 11, 2007 at 9:16 pm

ha. dint know 1 of the first category knew all of the second category.

David Kuo

posted July 12, 2007 at 1:51 am

Linda, Jennifer and Seth – more people need to be like you guys…people like me.