J Walking

J Walking

Walking with J

posted by J-Walking

For the last 20 years my heart’s deepest desire has been to walk with Jesus – even when that was the last thing I thought I could to do. Trying to capture who Jesus is in a few words is something just a few have been gifted to do – Matthew and Paul and Luke come to mind. For the rest of us I think understanding Jesus can only be done by celebrating and exploring and sometimes railing against the journey. That is what I want to do here. I want to talk about what it means to walk with a First-Century Palestinian Jewish carpenter who healed lives, was so compelling everyone was drawn to him, and who came to “give life and give it in full.” The best way to do this isn’t just for me to ruminate – though there will be times when that happens. The best way to do it is to show how he walks with lots of different people. Some of those people are friends of mine and some are people I may read about in the paper and some may – I hope – be you. So thank you for taking a look at J-Walking. Check back soon because we are going to get off to a quick start… trust me.

mark h

posted October 13, 2006 at 4:28 pm

David, It would seem that in the short run there are more urgent things you need to address.

Blue Gal

posted October 13, 2006 at 6:50 pm

I’m with Mark, (in more ways than one, we’re co-bloggers.) But seriously, the left-wing blogosphere needs a model for the kind of Christian they don’t have to hate just on principle. I try to be that kind of Christian. I try to follow the teachings of the Sermon on the Mount: be meek, be a peacemaker, if you have to pray, do it in private. You have good credentials as a conservative. But I think there’s a higher avenue here for you. Getting Christians to see the separation of Church and State as a protection for them, is just one. I think a lot of Christians have been guilty of false pride: trust in the false gods of political power and being humanly “right” about things. Being a Christian requires temperance, calm in the storm, all the things that Jesus exemplified. It does not require the cooperation of the White House, seats on the Supreme Court, or some crazy, and yes, I mean crazy, sense of our country as a “Christian nation.” I’ve gone on long enough. I look forward to more posts from you and to a continuing dialogue. BG

A Friend

posted October 14, 2006 at 3:06 am

David. You give me lots of hope. I find that politics in the year 2006 has been a real obstacle for me as a Christian. I went from being a conservative to something else. I’m not quite a Democrat, but not quite a Republican. I cannot give myself over to either side, although I value aspects of each. I have no home, really. This used to frustrate me. And I have bought in at varying levels and in a variety of ways to the politics of “outrage” that partisanship seems to thrive on. But I guess that this is what it means for us. Ours is not the luxury of pat political answers. The only answer for a Christian is the way of the cross and the resurrection to come. For us, triumph and sacrifice are inseparable. We are pilgrims. Thanks for sharing the journey. I have so much respoect for you.

DH

posted October 14, 2006 at 4:22 am

All in all isn’t it kinda tacky to attack the White House at this point? Do you have any moral fibers left that may have been concern you are now putting $ (book sales based on release at election time) ahead of honesty??

valueadder

posted October 14, 2006 at 7:11 pm

David, If you want to walk with Jesus; i.e. be His friend, you need to understand His business & support Him(John 15;15). We gain the knowledge to understand Him, growing our faith, by reading the Bible for faith comes from hearing the Words(Romans 10:17). Prerequisite is to accept Jesus into our heart to allow us to understand the Bible and let Him guide us directly. What is His business & His title. He is Mighty God & Prince of Peace, growing world peace. WWJD: what is his business? Jesus answered, “I will build my Church & the gates of Hades shall not overcome it.” How do we support Jesus’ vision of Peace on Earth? Through the Great Commission. What do we do in His Church? We are His Ambassadors of Reconciliation; i.e. His World Peacemakers. How do we reconcile the world to Him? He has sheep not of Judaism pen that He has to bring also. Magi of EASTERN RELIGIONS worshipped Him too. Example of reconciling: Per the Bible, Jesus is the Most Gracious because salvation comes by Grace and not by work. The Holy Spirit is the The Most Merciful because through Him we work out our salvation. Do you know that Muslims pray In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Mercciful; i.e. we can say In the name of God the Father, the Most Gracious Son, The Most Merciful Holy Spirit. What would happen when Muslims turn to The Most Gracious. Worldwide terrorism would stop. Thus, it is b knowing the knowledge of the glory of the Lord that we can walk with Jesus, supporting His business, and to make happen God’s Promise to Abraham that all nations on earth shall be blessed through Jesus, uniting the world into His World Peace.

HYDRANGEA

posted October 15, 2006 at 3:51 am

It is a shame that David Kuo does not understand that when we believers approach the political arena and, in particular, certain politicians it is with the hope (though not the expectation), but the hope, that we can successfully persuade a few, if not more, of those politicians to cast a vote that might count toward doing such things as protecting the unborn; putting an end to public policies that promulgate out-of-wedlock births and the wretched lifestyle that imposes on innocent children; fighting poverty and hunger without stripping folks of the dignity of employment and self help…then we believers have accomplished quite a bit. Where David has gotten confused is in wanting or expecting non-believing politicians to LIKE him. Who CARES if Karl Rove rolls his eyes when a zealous, evangelical lobbyist walks away? Who CARES if those people in Washington don’t LIKE us? Who cares if they think we’re weird? Why care at all? All we should care about is if they, in fact, get in there and vote the way we ask them to vote. We Christians are not of this world, right? We are citizens of another world. This world will NEVER “get us”! We need to get over that and just keep on fighting the good fight. We do not NEED the world to like or approve of us. That is the example that Jesus set. He set about the Father’s business and did not worry about whether or not He was appreciated or liked or admired. He just did what He was called to do and that is our example. Don’t worry if “those people” ridicule us or if they like us or dislike us or approve of us or disapprove of us. Just get their vote and call it a victory!

Frank Prinzel

posted October 17, 2006 at 7:03 pm

Know Religion, Know War

GIITTV

posted October 17, 2006 at 7:48 pm

For Hydrangea: If you are Christians and are not to be concerned with the things of this world, why do you care that politicians vote to save innocent unborn babies or stop evil homosexuals from marrying? Isn’t that up to God?

Claire

posted October 18, 2006 at 1:42 am

Thank you, David. Your faith journey has not been an easy one, but the love of Jesus will sustain you. You are in my prayers. So far as politics are concerned, I try to remember how Jesus said we would be judged. When we work to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, shelter the homeless, visit the imprisoned, care for the sick, and teach the uneducated we are doing it for Him. And I try to vote accordingly.

Dennis

posted October 18, 2006 at 1:51 pm

Dear David, In a lot of ways I agree with what you have stated here and throughout Jay Walking. However, I also have to say that I also like to pray in private and I do so. I also do not want to see more and more states allowing same-sex marriage, and unfortunately more and more Democrats are for this stating that their reasons for believing this is to keep State and Church separate. Remember what happened to two lost forever cities in the Bible and what God did to them raining down a great firestorm from Heaven. This was mostly because of them committing wicken and having sex male-male and female-female and male-female-animal. The Republican House, Congress and the President wanted a Constitutional amendment stating that marriage was between a man and a woman. What better amendment(s) to add to our great Constitution but God’s laws to mankind. Well I have stated enough for now. Keep up the good work Dave, because I truly do appreciate all that you have stated, and I try my very best to live by the things you have said that pertain to God’s written word. Dennis

Shannon

posted October 19, 2006 at 4:12 am

Hi David it is funny how God directs us in a path that we need to be. I am here working on a paper and somehow came to your site. I do not know who you are and I am not sure why I opened it but I did and I am glad. I have so many friends that are good christians and seem to be living the normal typical life that I am not. It was nice to read that someone else is going thru a tuff time and wants Jesus to carry them. I asked him the other day to just hold my hand and help me walk thru the fire. But really I would love for him to just pick me up and hug me and tell me its all going to be ok. I also related to while everything is wonderful we keep him at arms reach. I wonder why I do that? Maybe because like my children unless they have been hurt they dont really come to me to pick them up. I think that the fact that you had been thru a divorce, brain surgery, were what made me continue to read. You came thru these things and still love God. I am now getting ready to go thru a divorce and today the docotor referred me to someone else because of a cyst on my head. I am a stay at home mom, full time student, seperated from my husband, and now I might have cancer. But I looked up and said you know what at 36 I have lived and I know its going to be ok just continue to hold my hand please. My plate is beginning to be a bit full. :) Thank you for the hope and guidance. Shannon

Carl Manaster

posted November 5, 2006 at 6:34 pm

Hi, David, I would appreciate it if you included contact information somewhere on your blog. Thank you.