Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

'Go to hell' says @GlennBeck to his critics

According to the Huffington Post…

Glenn Beck delivered a message to his critics on his Thursday television show: “go to hell.”

Beck’s comments came in the middle of a nearly 19-minute monologue where he continued his theory that the protests in Egypt are being orchestrated by an alliance of Communists and Islamic fundamentalists who seek to overthrow capitalism and make a “new world order.”

He had claimed that a New York Times article had validated his theory because it spoke to young people from a wide vareity of political backgrounds who said they had joined forces to try to bring down the Mubarak regime. To Beck, this was evidence that the situation he foresaw was coming true. He then blasted President Obama for praising the protesters in his speech in Michigan on Wednesday, and tried to connect Obama to the Communists and fundamentalists he has been warning about by saying that both used “change” as a slogan.

Read the rest of the story here.

His ‘go to Hell’ message is at 4:17…

But before that, he talks about the “New World Order” and then asks Jesus to take him off the earth. He comments, “A lot of Americans would be happy about that…” And then he asks Jesus to do it right then and there on live television.

I think he must have gone off his meds or something… this video is sad to watch…

And what’s really strange… A good number of his viewers–the evangelical ones–believe that Glenn Beck is going to hell (be cause he’s a Mormon).

The irony actually hurts.

Ginny

posted February 11, 2011 at 11:28 am

I knew Glenn was crazy, but this.. Wow. This is a tad.. man, I can’t even think of the word.

yshekster

posted February 11, 2011 at 11:34 am

It is sad to see mental illness displayed like this in America.

Lurch Kimded

posted February 11, 2011 at 11:37 am

Erm… yeah… words fail me… this beyond crazy even for Beck, he has gone beyond potential parody and into dangerous madness

trip

posted February 11, 2011 at 11:38 am

Glenn Beck @3:24: “You are being manipulated!” So true…

J. Daniel Rollins

posted February 11, 2011 at 11:38 am

Well, I guess I’m going to hell (for two of those reasons above apparently.)

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm

My philosophy education makes it impossible for me to watch this man. He waterboards logic.

Silica

posted February 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm

“He waterboards logic.”

Well put. My father worships capitalism (and I do not say that lightly) and watches Beck’s show often. It’s sad because my father is a very smart man, but doesn’t see the obvious gaps in logic or incredibly flawed rhetoric that Beck uses…which is easy to do when a person is confirming the beliefs you already have.

But I’m a woman and was an English major so what the heck do I know?

Melody

posted February 11, 2011 at 5:09 pm

My dad is the same way. He is very intelligent and could have easily gotten a PhD (he just had no desire to do so). It’s really a shame how many otherwise intelligent people are so grossly misinformed because of their prejudices.

Joe Crenshaw

posted February 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Funny @Melody that is the same things Conservatives say about you liberals.

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 11, 2011 at 5:25 pm

My dad is the same way. He gets all wrapped up in the conspiracy theories and prophecy craziness.

BTW, wasn’t Henry Kissinger the Anti-Christ? I distinctly remember that claim when I was a teen.

noelle

posted February 11, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I have some smart family members who believe the same too. They fill their FB statuses with it. I stopped replying. I won’t unfriend them, because that’s childish and they want to see the kid pics and work out holiday get togethers. It makes for an interesting news feed with my extra liberal friends’ statuses all scattered in between. Is too bad they can’t see eachother

I’m not sure how best to discuss with the Beck believers. They don’t follow a logic I can see. Worrisome dangerous stuff

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 12, 2011 at 9:54 am

It is worrisome and dangerous.

He feeds their fear and paranoia. They have listened to so many sermons about how the devil, the world and the flesh are out to get them. They have a bunker mentality and he only pours gasoline on the fire, to mix my metaphors. (Is it an abomination to mix metaphors, like mixing cloth types?)

What he says is unfalsifiable. If you point out the legion of factual errors in what he says, you will be eyed suspiciously as an agent of the Conspiracy.

If you comment on all of the conceptual hokum (wow, I didn’t think hokum was an actual word.) you are an agent of the Conspiracy.

(Seriously? Glen, the Communists are working with the Islamic fundamentalists to set up Sharia Law in Egypt? A Communist would no more help a Muslim set up Sharia Law then a Communist would help you teach Creationism in the classroom.)

If you are not an agent of the Conspiracy, you are a pawn of the Conspiracy. They will pity you and pray for you, but you have no authority. Reality has no authority. Only the prophet has authority. He channels their fear.

They see the world perfectly, with a clarity only achieved while on pharmaceuticals. And attempts to correct that vision are not welcome.

Dan

posted February 12, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I’ve blocked hyper-partisans on both sides of the aisle from my facebook news feed. You can do that without unfriending. If you move your mouse over one of their statuses you’ll see an “x” appear in the top right corner. Click it…

What’s the most frustrating to me about it is that if you go “off script” they just revert to “I’m rubber, you’re glue.” Sign they don’t think for themselves. If I wanted to hear Beck/Olbermann sound-bites I’d “like” them…

noelle

posted February 13, 2011 at 8:37 am

I only X people who play games and do quizzes incessantly. No I will not plant your imaginary farm. I don’t care which country song I am. All their updates fill up my screen otherwise. The others I can skim and ignore. If we’re being fair, it’s just as difficult to discuss something with an ultra-liberal. They tend to prefer rant over reason as well.

John

posted February 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Nope. I’m not going to reply. Not gonna do it.
Stay blessed…john

Pingback: Tweets that mention ‘Go to hell’ says @GlennBeck to his critics | Jesus Needs New PR -- Topsy.com

brandontheguy

posted February 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm

America needs new PR

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm

le mot juste.

Daniel Alcantara

posted February 11, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I must remember to not read anything on here or, in fact, anywhere that has to do with Glenn Beck…

I really wish people would stop worshipping capitalism. No, I’m not a commie…

sbuxjosh

posted February 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Godamn commie.

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 11, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Nothing wrong with commies.

Elemenope

posted February 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm

As people? No. But their economic thought leaves something to be desired. IMO, Marx was a much better critic (and historian) of capitalism, than he was at coming up with a functional alternative.

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 11, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Indeed, a vanguard revolutionary party is just offensive. But when I write on American blogs I never assume that other readers can tell the difference between a Democrat and a Communist, never mind between a Marxist and a Communist. (We won’t even mention the Maoists or the Anarchists.)

Elemenope

posted February 11, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Fair enough. Awareness of the fine distinctions of political ideology and political economy has never been my countrymens’ strong suit. Nonetheless, I find equal difficulties talking about conservatism being confused or conflated with tea-partier and know-nothingism, and that little blur seems to affect people on both sides of the Atlantic.

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 12, 2011 at 10:09 am

Indeed, there are kinds of conservatives and they are not necessarily friendly to each other. (Neither are serious Leftists) (Witness the deep hostility between Fundamentalists that only Fundamentalists can understand.)

What are you conservative about? Economics? Social behaviour? Technology? Music? All of the above? Some of the above? None of the above?

In what way are you conservative about these issues and to what degrees? And in what context?

The Amish are very conservative about technology. And there are environmentalists that also have suspicious about technology. They would not likely call themselves conservatives, but they would most certainly say we must conserve the earth.

Blogs are difficult places for nuanced discussion. Peoples’ attention spans seem to be shortening.

noelle

posted February 13, 2011 at 8:40 am

Wait, democrats aren’t communists? What country are you from?

J. Daniel Rollins

posted February 11, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I will say this. Beck may represent the Tea Party, but he does not represent Mormonism.

wasmfasm

posted February 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm

If I have to believe him in order to be a Christian I’d rather go to hell.

Leanne

posted February 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Beck was at least truthful at 1:50 when he said he has bored us to tears.

David Pettigrew

posted February 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and go on record as calling Beck crazy.

noelle

posted February 11, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Um. Wow. I tried, but I couldn’t watch it all. I made it up to him showing the “9th most influential Muslim” (is there a list?) giving a crazy speech. Where’s Beck on the Christian list? Is he blind to irony?

Dianna

posted February 11, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I can’t watch Beck for very long before I start yelling profanities.

Can’t wait to see how Jon Stewart responds to this. He always has something good.

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 12, 2011 at 9:58 am

I wonder if Jon Stewart’s writers experience combat fatigue from watching all of the crazy?

Leanne

posted February 12, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Beck certainly makes their job easier. They don’t have to look far for something crazy.

LRA

posted February 12, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Hahaha! Yes, I can’t watch Beck except for JS’s parodies of him. Beck’s brand of crazy makes me crazy.

Dianna

posted February 13, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Yes, I cheer every time Stewart gets out the glasses and the chalkboard. It’s pretty darn brilliant. :)