Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

A beautiful moment in Egypt amongst all of the ugly ones…

This is one positive story among the thousands of scary ones coming out of Egypt. Pictured here are a group of Christians encircling/protecting a group of Muslims. They formed the circle so their Muslim friends could spend time in prayer.

I also loved the first few comments at the Reddit link where I found this pic.

Here’s a link to where more of the story is revealed.

Sent to me by Jarbas.

Joe Crenshaw

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:09 pm

There is hope for mankind . . . a great picture. Thanks for sharing.

KatR

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:11 pm

They not only guarded them but made sure they wouldn’t have to pray on hot asphalt. I’m choked up…….

Bradley Richardson

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:13 pm

People talk all the time what would Jesus do? This is it. This is what its about. As Christians this is what we should do. We should be there when gays are being persecuted. This should be what we do instead of telling people that they are going to hell for not voting for the “christian” candidate.

Natasha

posted February 3, 2011 at 9:26 pm

amen!!!

Dianna

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:23 pm

This and the photo of the human chain they made around various museums and important cultural landmarks both bring tears to my eyes.

John

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:24 pm

this is great…good PR for Jesus, wouldn’t you say?

Josh Humphries

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:25 pm

bob...

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:30 pm

That is Christ embodied. Awesome!!

April L.

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I will admit I have purposely not been following the Egypt story because I’m too wrapped up in my own personal drama right now. Selfish, I know, but I’m being honest. But for whatever reason, I decided to read this, and it brought tears to my eyes. This is one of the most beautiful displays of humanity I have ever seen.

Pingback: Tweets that mention A beautiful moment in Egypt amongst all of the ugly ones… | Jesus Needs New PR -- Topsy.com

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I say this with no snark or sarcasm. Apparently some Christians do listen to their founder. This is real ecumenicism.

Green Eggs and Ham

posted February 3, 2011 at 9:42 pm

In spite of my protestations, it still sounds snarky. I really hope that this spreads.

@RockingReverend

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I wonder how many Christians in America would do this?

Lee

posted February 3, 2011 at 9:24 pm

This is a wonderful moment. Hopefully it opened a door for them to witness to the Muslims.

KatR

posted February 4, 2011 at 9:34 am

I hope they didn’t. I’d like to believe that there are Christians somewhere who don’t use kindness as part of a sales pitch.

Lee

posted February 4, 2011 at 10:13 am

I’d like to believe there are still some Christians that obey the Great Commission when given the opportunity. It’s not a “sales pitch”.

Sam

posted February 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Amen to that. We don’t do good works to win people over. We do good works because Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for us, and this right here is our response. We do Good works as a response to Him, and that in itself gets people’s attention.

Silica

posted February 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Isn’t doing what they did in and of itself a kind of witnessing? By showing their love for their neighbor? For me, that’s probably the most powerful way to show the love of Jesus – by trying to emulate it yourself.

Though Muslims are pretty familiar with Jesus as it is.

LRA

posted February 4, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Wow. Kindness with strings attached, huh? Doesn’t seem very kind.

Brad S

posted February 4, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Well seeing as Muslims have also protected the Coptic Christians as they worshiped maybe they did some proselytizing as well.

LRA

posted February 3, 2011 at 9:29 pm

That really is beautiful.

yshekster

posted February 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Wow. Love this! Also those commenting on this story. THIS is what it is all about.

Pingback: A beautiful moment in Egypt | bignoseduglyguy

Natasha

posted February 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm

As a Christian first and foremost and an American and Egyptian second… this moves me beyond words. How many in America would do this? This is what Jesus would have done. A beautiful moment indeed. Thank you Lord that there is some hope in this world left !

Scott

posted February 3, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Very cool moment indeed, but it should be noted that the Muslims first did this for the Christians so they could worship freely at Christmas (orthodox).

Pingback: É assim que a vida deveria ser | Livraria do Thiago

Pingback: Friday Reads: February 4 Edition « Naming Animals

Lorena

posted February 4, 2011 at 9:00 am

A beautiful scene … leads us to wonder why so many people still fight in the name of faith … when they should just respect one another. I’m not saying there should be acceptance: each one believes in it either. The point is just respect. I hope this scene is a glimmer of hope for tolerance.

Noelle

posted February 4, 2011 at 9:31 am

This and the Coptic Christmas story is what being human is all about. Thanks for sharing

Pingback: Reasons to be Optimistic about Egypt | Unreasonable Faith

belle

posted February 4, 2011 at 11:18 am

Love love love this!

Julia

posted February 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Love your neighbour as yourself…I guess THIS is what HE meant! So grateful for the brothers and sisters who are living proof of Jesus love and compassion in this difficult time.

Pam Ellenburg

posted February 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I too got a warm and fuzzy feeling from this picture. A very nice gesture indeed! But to say that this is what Jesus would do – I doubt it. I’ve thought about this picture alot and can’t see Christ being a part of this situation since people are taking part in sin – bowing to a false god. I know he protected the woman they caught in adultery from being stoned but she wasn’t sinning while he took up for her. Plus he said “go and sin no more”. Just my 2 cents worth.

Silica

posted February 5, 2011 at 9:33 am

I was under the impression that Muslims and Christians (and Jews, for that matter), all followed the same God, albeit under different understandings of how that God works and what he expects of his followers.

Pam Ellenburg

posted February 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

That would be a good thing to research. You might begin with comparing the Jesus in the Bible to the one in the Koran. Look for the truth. Pray for wisdom and discernment.

Carol

posted February 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Seeing as Jesus was a Jew….

And there’s that little story about the Good Samartain – if he was using a Samartain as THE example of loving kindness – He totally would have done this.

Carlos

posted February 7, 2011 at 10:56 am

Jesus loves all people, so he would do this because he would be worried about their lives. The Christians from Egypt were worried about the lives of their fellow egyptians. They thought first in the lives they were protecting, instead being worried about who should be praised. So, they were just doing what the Bible commands.

See these verses:

“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 7:12

“To slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.” Titus 3:2

P.S. Sorry about my English!

El Ben

posted February 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Beauty for ashes, man. Beauty for ashes. :)

Pingback: // saturday round-up (05/02) « worship music should sound like this