Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

Will Kentucky’s fake Ark feature unicorns and dragons?

Atlantic Wire blogs about speculation that Kentucky’s Creation Museum’s ‘Ark Encounter’ might feature unicorns and dragons.

And it’s possible… according to the Ark’s official Q&A site, it does seem plausible…

Being land animals, dinosaurs (or dragons of the land) were created on Day Six (Genesis 1:24–31), went aboard Noah’s Ark (Genesis 6:20), and then came off the Ark into the post-Flood world (Genesis 8:16–19). It makes sense that many cultures would have seen these creatures from time to time before they died out.

And before you ask… here’s your answer…

The biblical unicorn was a real animal, not an imaginary creature. … The absence of a unicorn in the modern world should not cause us to doubt its past existence. (Think of the dodo bird. It does not exist today, but we do not doubt that it existed in the past.). … To think of the biblical unicorn as a fantasy animal is to demean God’s Word, which is true in every detail.

Awesome!

Her dodo bird comparison is horrible… mostly because I think we have dodo bird skeletons… we only have unicorn paintings! And some of them are velvety.

I have only one question: Will there be Hobbits on the Ark?

So.. what do you think? Should Kentucky’s fake Ark allow unicorns and dragons?

Brad S

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:03 pm

It will most certainly feature idiots.

Derrick

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:07 pm

No need to *feature* idiots…there’ll be plenty coming to see it.

Jessica

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Have you seen that documentary called Dragons or Dinosaurs?

Not bad.

And on Netflix instant viewing. ;)

Susan

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I do enjoy pointing out to people that unicorns are referenced in the bible, albeit only in the King James version. Hobbits, though…haven’t come across them.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Oh I know all about that reference to “unicorns”… it’s in Job.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I think it’s in Job…

Marni

posted December 31, 2010 at 4:29 am

Yep…Job 39:9-12. KJV only though. Every other translation I looked up states “wild oxen.” Did a bit of research on this to understand it better – and it is just wild how some will take one translation of scripture as *the* translation, and make wild deducements like this and create them as truth and fact. I certainly hope before this possibly goes through (I sure hope it doesn’t), there is a whole lot more study done; otherwise, there is a whole lot of foolishness to contend with.

Kellen

posted December 31, 2010 at 9:48 am

Unfortunately if they’re that dead set that the unicorn existed and needs to be on the ark, there won’t be anymore future study.

jasdye

posted January 1, 2011 at 10:09 am

I thought the “unicorns” referenced in the KJV were rhinoceroses (uni=one, corn=horn).
          But it doesn’t matter. Anybody who chooses to believe that the world is only six thousand years old “because the Bible says so,” is already choosing NOT to believe in logic and science, as this whole unicorn~do do bird FAIL demonstrates.

JamesBrett

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:07 pm

should the fake ark allow unicorns?

i think its walls should be lined with their magical fur.

April L.

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I just about spit my drink out reading that. L. O. L.

LRA

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I actually can’t wait until this thing is built. When people see how small it is compared to the biodiversity on the planet, they are going to realize that the story is a myth.

Yess!!!!!!

Maybe.

D’oh! Probably not.

Boo.

HolyRollerNovocaine

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Of course they won’t realize it’s a myth. I just can’t wait to hear how they explain how possible it all was.

TheBoyWonder

posted December 31, 2010 at 11:04 am

“But we all know carbon dating is bunk! And all the links
      are missing in the fossil records! And it’s all microevolution, not
      MACRO!” lolz… But seriously, Christians aren’t the only ones who
      do this. Some Jews and Muslims do it too. Just a thing… A BIG
      thing for science, but just a thing.

Headless Unicorn Guy

posted January 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm

“And then a Miracle happened… And then a Miracle happened… And then another Miracle happened…”

LRA

posted January 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I have decided that henceforth, I shall refer to this theme park as “The F’Ark.”
    :P

Shana

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Biblical unicorns??? I didn’t know they featured in the Bible. Dragons (serpents), the leviathan, and giants are mentioned … but unicorns?

Looks like I have some research to do…

(Besides… I had always thought the narwhal horn was the one mistaken for the unicorn horn… and we do have rhinos…)

HolyRollerNovocaine

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:14 pm

see what i mean?

Shana

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Oh I believe there was a flood of epic proportions… so epic it appears in … lo and behold… the Bible. But I also believe years of oral history tampered with the actual story. Unicorns though??? I may use them in my screen name, but I have a hard time believing they existed…

LRA

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:28 pm

“I also believe years of oral history tampered with the actual story.”

Hmmm… I believe that of pretty much the whole Bible.

Shana

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I tend to believe that of the earlier stories, particularly Genesis and Exodus.. but with writing I believe there came more accuracy. Then again… even today it’s a known fact that two memories of one event can be widely different… even if the memories are taken from one person at different times. I guess what it all boils down to is sometimes we just take what we need to take from the stories and just have faith.

I still love the whole story about the Unicorns and the Ark, even if it’s just a fantasy.

Brian

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I wonder if the Kentucky Ark will explain how they dealt with the enormous amounts of waste produced 24/7, how the animals were fed, how animals arrived from other continents to get on the boat, etc.

HolyRollerNovocaine

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:15 pm

magic, of course

LRA

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I wonder if they will address the fact that salt water animals can’t live in fresh/brackish water and vice versa…

So if the rain was fresh, did it kill off all of the sea life?

If the rain was brackish, did it kill off all of the fresh water life?

Or was it, as HolyRollerNovacaine suggested….. MAGIC!!!!

Shana

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:24 pm

“With God all things are possible…” Guess he made sure all the fish were safe too ’cause after all… the ark carried all the animals…

LRA

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Gen 7:

7And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons’ wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood.

8Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,

9There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah.

10And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.

Well, no mention of fish there. Also, no mention of hermaphroditic species like snails, or asexual species like sponges.

Guess it was….. MAGIC!!!!

Jon

posted December 30, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Oh, the continental problem is “solved” easily. Back when I was a Creationist we were told all the continents were joined together–Pangaea–and the Flood broke them apart. I was also told that until the Flood the earth was surrounded by a crystalline dome of water called “the firmament” so ya know…

Ken

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Will they feature a “Charlie the Unicorn” video as evidence?

jasdye

posted January 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Chaaaaaaarrlliiiiiie!

Headless Unicorn Guy

posted January 6, 2011 at 2:11 pm

“WE’RE GOING TO CANDY MOUNTAIN, CHAAAAARLIE!”

(Talk about “so high, both eyes in the same socket…”)

Michelle

posted December 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I think it’s funny that so many people think it’s CRAZY to believe in a horse with a horn but easily believe that God became man, was born to a virgin, and was raised to life again after death!

Just sayin’

(And for the record I do believe all of the above is true -even that crazy unicorn!)

jasdye

posted January 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm

not so easy, to be Honest Christian…

Jon

posted December 30, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I was really looking forward to using the quote on unicorns for the lol-factor. But then I noticed that it’s sort of a splice of several statements made in the original Answers in Genesis article. As it goes–though I only skimmed it–it seemed to simply be explaining that the Hebrew word which the authors of the KJV rendered as “unicorn” could refer to some animal. My understanding is that the Hebrew word is obscure (the word, by the way is רְאֵם “re’em” which is used nine times according to the Blue Letter Bible, which the KJV consistently translates as “unicorn”) and so the animal in question is of unknown identification, though possibly some horned beast, such as the aurochs, may have been meant. Which is all just a really long, drawn out way to say that I’m disappointed not to be able to use the unicorn quote for the lol-factor. Though if the ark in Kentucky will feature unicorns, then the lol-factor returns. And then yay!

LRA

posted December 30, 2010 at 10:19 pm

LOL! The Polish are trying to bring aurochs back from extinction… it’s the Jurassic Park of cows!

Manda

posted December 30, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Sheesh. Hobbits don’t even like the water, much less boats! Clearly, you need to read LOTR. :)

Dianna

posted December 31, 2010 at 11:54 am

My thoughts exactly!

And Hobbits are sentient beings, just a different kind!

Joe Crenshaw

posted December 30, 2010 at 10:53 pm

So many jokes . . for a GOD one day who will cease all laughing.

KatR

posted December 31, 2010 at 10:58 am

Well, he does tend to be an insecure vindictive jerk, so it’s very possible.

Dianna

posted December 31, 2010 at 11:54 am

Wait, what? God’s going to stop laughter? Shit, I don’t want to see that.

jasdye

posted January 1, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Angry GOD is ANGRY!!

“Stop laughing at me!”
    - Angry GOD

sharideth

posted December 30, 2010 at 10:54 pm

mpt, remind me to show you my ceramic collection some day. oh yes. it really exists.

Matt

posted December 30, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Wait. I thought the story of the flood was a somber account of God’s destruction of the world for wickedness, and divine judgment and horrific drowning and stuff…but now you’re telling me if I go to Kentucky I can see fuzzy animals and dragons and even unicorns? That sounds awesome! I love Noah’s Ark!

LRA

posted December 30, 2010 at 11:11 pm

It’ll be a fantastic place to bring your children! You can teach them about how “God” mass murdered all but 8 people in the human race because he’s soooo “loving”!

HolyRollerNovocaine

posted January 1, 2011 at 9:33 am

I’m sure it’ll be a popular destination for home-school field trips!

gymmie

posted December 30, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I want unicorns <3

Frank Gallagher

posted December 31, 2010 at 12:12 am

Can anyone point me to the unicorn verses in the Bible?

Pingback: Tweets that mention Important question, demands an answer. // RT Will Kentucky’s fake Ark feature unicorns and dragons? -- Topsy.com

Charlie's Church of Christ

posted December 31, 2010 at 1:34 am

man these museum people are going to huge lengths to try to defend their beliefs – if you have to go this far you have to wonder what its even about anymore.

noelle

posted December 31, 2010 at 10:54 am

Of all the mythical animals, why are unicorns so popular? They are lame. They are pretty horses with a horn that like rainbows. Why not satyrs? They at least know how to have a good time.

Carina

posted December 31, 2010 at 11:30 am

First of all, I’m swedish. So if I spell things wrong or
use strange words, it’s because english is not my first language.
Anyway, I wonder about KJV. Why is the KJV “THE BIG VERSION”? I’m
brought up in a (what I thougt at least) fundamentalist church
(swedish pentecostal) and I’m also i missionary child. But I’ve
never heard anyone preach about that different translations are
better ore more accurate than others. Maybe it’s because we don’t
have so many to choose from:-) But, back to the question, how come
that KJV is the true word of God for so many?

Melody

posted December 31, 2010 at 3:25 pm

From a descendant of Swedish immigrants: Your english is just fine, Carina. Better than a lot of native speakers/writers, I might add. :)

Carina

posted January 1, 2011 at 10:30 am

Thanks:-D

noelle

posted December 31, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Hi Carina. I don’t get the KJV craze either. Old English sounds cool and more formal because it’s closer to Shakespeare and other things that are linguistically smarter and good for us. This is stupid, of course. The KJV is an outdated English translation of texts originally in completely different languages. I don’t know if this happens in other English speaking countries. Americans have their own brand of English and even modern British and Australian English sounds cool and different to us. Do Swedes like the sound and look of things written in Swedish from 500 years ago?

Carina

posted January 1, 2011 at 10:59 am

In general no. It takes a lot of time and knowledge to really understand something from 500 years ago. The language have changed so much. A lot of words have another meaning and the spelling is totally different. I guess english must have stayed much more unchanged. The first swedish bible (that still exists) is from 1541 but it’s never used. The last official translation was made in 2000 and I know that my mom almost fell out of her bed when they had changed harlot to whore.

Carina

posted January 1, 2011 at 11:20 am

And for the record, there are no unicorns in the swedish bible:-) It’s a wild oxen (vildoxe) and has always been a wild oxen.

Dianna

posted December 31, 2010 at 11:56 am

(HARRY POTTER SPOILERS HERE)

I just read an explanation of why unicorns are evil, and it seemed appropriate to share: Voldemort survived for a long time on the blood of unicorns. Voldemort then came back and created an army, which killed Fred Weasley. Ergo: Unicorns killed Fred Weasley and are therefore evil.
;)

nazani14

posted January 1, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Art history nerd in da house- origin of unicorn image: See relief images of bulls on the Ishtar gates of Babylon. It was common in ancient Middle Eastern art to show bulls in strict profile, so that only one horn could be seen. According to most scholars, this is how the idea of a single-horned bovine animal arose. You’ll also find plenty of winged human images in Babylonian and Assyrian art.
Dragons- see the image of the sirrush, also on the Ishtar gates.
It would appear that the Hebrews picked up more than the flood myth and the “eye for an eye” legal concept during their Babylonian captivity.

Headless Unicorn Guy

posted January 6, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Will Kentucky’s fake Ark feature unicorns and dragons?

Sounds like a need for a little GUERILLA FURSUITING —
and don’t forget the dinos!