Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

Anne Rice announces on Facebook that she’s quitting Christianity!

Anne Rice

Yesterday on Facebook, Anne Rice updated her status….

“For those who care, and I understand if you don’t: Today I quit being a Christian. I’m out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being “Christian” or to being part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to “belong” to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten …years, I’ve tried. I’ve failed. I’m an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

And then later, she updated her status again…

As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of …Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

Currently her status is…

“But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. ” Gospel of Matthew.

I love Anne Rice!

However, I do hope this new “non-Christian, Christ-centered non-Christianity Christianity” that she’s embracing will lead her to stop writing books about Jesus. Wow. Have you read them? They’re so boring in my opinion. Oh, I still buy them. But I don’t read them. (Stupid, I know.)

So… thoughts on her status?

Mary

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Damn, I’m kind of out, too! Not quite that out, but sick of church drama.

Ian

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Very ‘Dietrich Bonhoeffer’ (religionless Christianity)

She should join the Episcopalian church. They accept pretty much anything as ‘Christian’

matt

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm

sounds like she is confusing fundamentalism and Christianity

RobM

posted July 29, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I tend to agree, but there’s a LOT of anti-gay in all strands of formal Christianity, and to a varying degrees of anti-feminism, and obviously lots of anti-evolution in all denominations/strands.

Steven McDade

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Just like most who find Christianity wanting, we find more IN Christ than just a religion. We find life.

John

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Great publicity stunt. Does she have a new book coming out soon?

RevJATB (KnowTea)

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I’m thinking this is a grab for attention. There are plenty of places she can go and be pro-gay, pro-women, pro-Democrat, etc and still be Christian. She can go to the Episcopal Church. She can go UCC. She can go ELCA. She can go to a lot of (though not all) Presbyterian churches.

Unless she thinks that only the Roman Catholic church is the “one true church” (and she may), leaving Catholicism doesn’t have to mean leaving Christianity.

MainlineMom

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I think it’s sad. I understand her sentiment, but I feel like her understanding of grace falls short if she’s willing to write off the body of Christ.

RevJATB (KnowTea)

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Pet peeve of mine here: there is no such thing as an “Episcopalian” church. It is the Episcopal Church. A person who is a member of an Episcopal Church is called an Episcopalian.

Brett

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:33 pm

She needs to hang w/ Anne Lamott. It seems like all the things she is committed to fall in line w/ Ms. Lamott. And Ms. Lamott calls herself a Christian.

Of course, I get the point. For some reason though, I get all uncomfy w/ the whole, “I’m not a Christian like all those guys who confuse Christianity w/ Glen Beck worship.” I’m a Christian; I’m a part of a broken church which I love despite its flaws.

steveT

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm

knowing that i suffer from this same kind of ache at times (dare i say often?!), i hear her loud and clear. trust me…it’s not a publicity stunt. this woman has fallen in love with Jesus in a fresh new and freeing way. i’m fairly convinced that she’s totally into following Jesus. it’s just that, as our blog-master (ever been called a bm before, mpt?), mpt has said so succinctly, “….being a christian is often something that looks quite different.”

like everywhere else, the church is rife with people that need to be loved and saved…and it becomes a bit more difficult because often, they’re convinced they’ve already got a corner on that market.

`steveT

Diane

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:39 pm

And never mind that Glen Beck is a Mormon!

There are LOTS of Christian denominations (UCC excluded, since they aren’t exclusively Christian, they get together and worship the deity of their choice) who are NOT anti-gay, anti-feminist, right wing, etc.) The Catholics are pretty much the ones not anti-Christian.

She should have simply quoted Ghandi: “I like your Christ. I do not like His followers.”

vegas710

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:12 pm

UCC is Christian, I think you meant UU.

Helen

posted July 30, 2010 at 11:19 am

I think so, too…I grew up in the UCC church…They are Christ followers hence “United Church of Christ”… :)

bryan

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm

she needs to quit ruffled turtlenecks while she’s at it.

Tyler

posted July 29, 2010 at 3:38 pm

hahaha that is right!

RobM

posted July 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm

LOL!!!! Very very true! UNFLATTERING!

RoddyG

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:50 pm

hahahaha – that really made me laugh!

Jennifer

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I agree with Mainline Mom. The Church is made up of sinners; it will never be perfect. The essence of Christianity is that we’ve been given God’s grace and we are to show that grace to others, whether ‘others’ are those outside the faith or those who are supposed to be our brothers and sisters in Christ.

RoddyG

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Can anyone honestly read her statement and not think twice about the state of Christianity (especially in America) today?? Too many thoughts to articulate, but it’s leading to a really interesting conversation on Twitter!

Sean

posted July 29, 2010 at 1:58 pm

What a shame… Seems like she’s confusing religion and relationship. Because I’m a Christian, and I’m just as much one of the “quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group” as anyone else is. We’re a broken people pursuing Christ because He made us clean, which we couldn’t do ourselves… And I don’t think she understands that.

Jesse Dukes

posted July 30, 2010 at 6:53 am

Following Christ means choosing not to be quarrelsome, fractious and never mean spirited. The world will know we’re his disciples by how we love one another, not lampoon or mock on another. Christ died so we didn’t have to treat each other that way, NOT so we could have free liscense to.

RevJATB (KnowTea)

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Gotta take exception with your take on the UCC, Diane. Since when is the United Church of Christ “not exclusively Christian” or simply “get together and worship the deity of their choice”? The UCC is a Christian denomination in the Reformed tradition, the result of a union many years ago between the Congregational Church and the German Reformed Churches. The UCC is in full communion with the Presbyterian Church.

You may have been thinking of the Unitarian Universalist churches (UU), but that is not at all the same thing as the UCC.

RobM

posted July 29, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I think she meant UU, not UCC.

Noelle

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I thought she wrote vampire books. I guess I’m not keeping up with the times.

I’m way more interested in her take on Bill vs. Eric vs Sam. I don’t think poor Sam gets enough attention.

Is this a normal FB update? I’m more the here’s a cute pic of my kid and that guy in that movie is way cute type.

Jesse Medina

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Sounds like someone has a poor understanding of the Body of Christ and sanctification…her own included.

vegas710

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I’m with her all the way. Even if you join the more liberal churches, there is bickering and division over who is right. I follow Christ but I don’t go to church and I don’t go around making sure everyone knows I lean Christian. When the problems of the church get to the point that it’s turning people away from Christ, it’s time to leave or stay and change from within. We’ll all make that choice on our own, neither one is wrong.

ThePianoGuy

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I can understand where she is coming from in all honesty, sometimes we can get over “churchy” in our lives.

However, and i’m NOT a fundamentalist by any means, I find that we can say “our conscience” says i can’t do that, but is that what the Holy Spirit wants us to do. Some things are black and white from scriptures, some things arents. Some things we must take a stand on, no matter how “churchy” it may seem WITHOUT being legalistic. That’s fine if she doesn’t want to be a Christian and just call her self a Follower of Christ. Sometimes “religion” just doesn’t live up to what a relationship in Christ brings. I just hope she is doing this out of sincerity and that it doesn’t bring shame to Christ or those who are still proud to call themselves a Christian. :)

Dan M

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Lame…I guess she is okay with being anti-christian. This type of attitude has grown tiresome and is rooted in the same kind of pride and arrogance that causes her to condemn the ones she is tired of.

Grant

posted July 29, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Exactly! Since when do we as christians have the right to give up on anyone?

Anna C

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I did try to read Out of Egypt, but didn’t get more than a few chapters. Maybe if she made a vampire version of them, they’d be good. I am glad she hasn’t quit Jesus. I think He’s far less concerned about what she calls herself.

david

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:41 pm

she needs a hug from Jesus. – jk

but in a sense she seems to be in pain over the contradictions presented by a living God who chose to work through people and not through mind control. I have to wonder what happened in her story that made her lose so much faith in the church and in christians.

david

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm

a thing that burns me a bit – have to admit – is she uses the “in the name of Christ” device along with the “Amen” convention to make this into some sort of poetry thing.

Mary

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm

What’s the fuss? Who is Anne Rice anyway?

sandra

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I wonder if her feelings come with disappointment in the Catholic church, which she rejoined a few years ago after many years away.

Jared

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm

cop-out. just follow Christ without being such an old emo lady who has nothing better to do than update her facebook status with that nonsense.

Jesse

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Man, can I tell you honestly that I feel like this is a bit self-righteous in it’s own way? If we were to look at our lives and assume that people would want to be apart of a religion because of the way we acted, then we’re blinded. I’m sorry that Christians are hurtful, hateful and arrogant, but the beauty is that Christ (and his followers are referred to as Christians) is what covers our imperfections.

…”quitting” Christianity seems like a pretty lame move to me.

Pingback: Tweets that mention Anne Rice announces on Facebook that she’s quitting Christianity! -- Topsy.com

pberry

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:50 pm

How dare you call us disputatious! That’s absurd! You totally don’t understand us!

Regards,

The commenters

J Boyce

posted July 29, 2010 at 3:11 pm

It is easy to make church the scapegoat. I think that we must re-learn what it is to be a member of the body of Christ. The Church (the global body, not the catholic one) is the only institution that Christ has promised to preserve is His Bride. I think it’s time to take the faults of the Church upon ourselves. We have to realize that the problem with the Church is us- individuals. Then again, that is inconvenient for all of us who are mere consumers. Maybe if we better understood the doctrine of sin we would begin allowing God to change us instead of just complaining about the current state of the american church. To say that you are opposed to Church is to say that you are opposed to the Body of Christ. Measure the weight of that.

Blake

posted July 29, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Ummm, who is Anne Rice?

Noelle

posted July 29, 2010 at 5:49 pm

She wrote that vampire book that they made into the movie with Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise and that girl who grows up to be Spiderman’s girlfriend

Danny

posted July 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm

When I read items such as this, I can not help but stand amazed that grace seems to only be extended to those outside the realm of church, while those inside are not afforded the same opportunity. In the midst of all our imperfections I will gladly proclaim that I’m a Christian. I’ll glady gather together with other Christians and together we will cry out to Christ to forgive our hypocrisy and convict us to live holy. But I will not turn my back on the body of Christ simply because it is plagued with issues. So long as there is a church, we will have problems. We come together and claim Christ and each other, warts and all.

Scottie

posted July 29, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I think people are confusing their own definition of Christianity with Rice’s. I think the point she’s making is that she is only concerned with her relationship with God, not the other “baggage” that we’ve (the church) put on being a Christian.
I think she’s saying that religion isn’t for her anymore, just her personal relationship with Jesus.
She’s a smart lady. Give her more credit.

jody

posted July 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm

While I don’t necessarily agree with Anne Rice’s decision to renounce being a Christian on facebook, I do empathize with her feelings. The longer I have been an adult (26 now…so barely) aka thinking for myself, hearing most Christians express their social beliefs makes me cringe! I do agree that the group in question is mainly fundamentalist. Other people that make me cringe are mostly just conservatives :) Can’t really fault them, we are all entitled to our own opinion…aka all conservatives are not Christians and vice versa. Pardon my liberalism!

Jonathan Elliot

posted July 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm

An atheist friend alerted me to this yesterday, and I noticed she’s “left Christianity” but not Christ, which I duly pointed out to him. I’m helpful like that.

Anne (and others), you’ll find you’re not alone. There are many many people who are sick of churchianity, but maybe might, possibly, maybe want there to be a god. I discovered that there is a huge pool of “left the church but still have a faith” people. It kind of encouraged me at the time.

Jonathan from Spritzophrenia :)

James in the Bush

posted July 29, 2010 at 4:10 pm

God does not have “only children”. We accept Christ and we become part of the family of God.

Stephen

posted July 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm

As someone who is in the process of leaving religion and kinda sorta leaving the church (institution, not body), I understand where she’s coming from. I admit that sometimes I hesitate to call myself a Christian. It’s not that I’m ashamed, it’s simply that identifying myself as a Christian seems to give the other person license to slap a label on me based on their perception of that particular term. I’d much rather engage in a dialogue with the person about this God with whom I have a wonderful relationship.

Hannah M

posted July 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I don’t have a problem with her giving up on Christianity, but giving up on Christians is very different. She’s writing off all people everywhere who call themselves Christians as being narrow-minded bigots. It’s that difficult “judging the judgmental” cycle that gets you nowhere. Yes, there are Christians who are like that… but there are also many who feel the way she does. They have not yet given up on their fellow church members, choosing instead to join with them and try to help them from the inside, so to speak. Whether they’re making a difference or not, they’re not giving up on the people around them. Once we give up on people, we’re not giving God room to change them and, worse, refusing to let ourselves be part of the process.

I hope that despite her frustration with Christians, she’s able to find *somebody* to encourage her in her personal faith. Walking that road all alone is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

Young Mom

posted July 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I was a defenseless kid when my parents went there, did that, and bought the T-shirt. It’s a stupid cop-out if you ask me, christianity without the church = being your own pope.

Jess

posted July 29, 2010 at 4:49 pm

wow. i guess good thing Jesus did give up on the church.

Heather

posted July 29, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I think many “christians” are frustrated with some of these attitudes assoiciated with “christianity.” It is important that we are careful not to become the opposite extreme and begin to hate and/or ostrasize those with whom we disagree. Prejudice is unhealthy on either side of the debate.

Ginny

posted July 29, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Man, don’t I know how she feels. :

KatR

posted July 29, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Me too.

I’ve been trying all day to think of a response to this, all I can say is “me too”.

matt mewhorter

posted July 29, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I became a Christian over a decade ago (wasn’t raised in a Christian home). I left a career in art to go into pastoral ministry where I served for several years. I feel like I’m at the same place as Anne: I’ve tried for ten years and over and over I’m an outsider. Every time I left a church was on a bitter note. We were booted from leadership in a terrible way because my wife disclosed to the pastor’s wife her intense heart for homosexuals and the terrible treatment they undergo. I feel Ms. Rice…truly.
I hardly resonate anymore with “well, I know it’s broke but I love it anyhow because God loves it” explanation. We are supposed to be known by our love for one another and we don’t show it-period. It’s bad and we need to call it what it is.

Carole Turner

posted July 29, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I’m amazed at all the people who don’t know who Anne Rice is.

She has an amazing life story and wrote the books that, I feel sure, gave inspiration to the Twilight series. She’s the original modern day sexy Vampire writer :-)

I pray she falls deeply in love with Jesus and finds his amazing grace no matter what she calls herself.

Pingback: For All You Anne Rice Haters Out There: A STATUS UPDATE! | Jesus Needs New PR

Terry

posted July 29, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Wow, is it really true that out of 56 comments only 1 person has actually opened one of her books? Kinda sad if it indicates the current state of reading. I just have to post to disagree with MPT about her writing, on her Christ the Lord books at least. I found them fascinating, and the afterword to Out of Egypt is a wonderful (and kinda scholarly) apologetic.
I’ll admit her autobiography was pretty disappointing, and this last Angel Time novel was pretty crappy, but I voted Christ the Lord Road to Canaan one of my top books of 2008.

Sam

posted July 29, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I hope she changes her mind, or finds a community of believers where she feels like she fits. I definitely remember feeling like this in the past, but thankfully God showed me that I could live a different definition of Christianity than I knew. Still, I can relate.

And dude, HOW do people not know who Anne Rice is?

Pingback: Anne Rice anuncia no Facebook que está abandonando o cristianismo | PavaBlog

Jonathan Chang

posted July 30, 2010 at 5:56 am

What’s her last status mean? I’m slow, I know.

nicodemusatnite.blogspot.com

David

posted July 30, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Not everyone that claims to be a Christian is one. Praise Allah. Why doesn’t she just start her own religion like Joseph Smith did?

I really don’t get this pressure to try to conform to biblical principals? Why would she want to call herself something that she is obviously not? I mean, if you don’t like hamburgers and chicken, there are lots of other places to eat than McDonalds.

Crazy.

I wish everyone who came to the conclusion that Christianity is not for them would take the same stand and quit. I am dumbfounded, what is the point?

Pingback: Reads of the week – 2010 – 27 « Hope In Love

Neuci

posted August 1, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Father, I pray for all the people who are not in Christ. Lord you know that there are many who are not Christians, and say they are, they claim to believe in Christ, but their behaviors are not indicative of those who truly love your son Jesus. Father help the world to see the difference between those who truly love Jesus and those who have accepted Jesus as a fire insurance policy but have never allowed your Spirit to form Christ in them. I pray that the world will come to understand that those who really love Jesus also love your word, As Jesus is the word, “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.” And that Jesus will always be the word. “His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.” Please help them to understand that Jesus is just as much John 3:16, as He is 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, He is just as much, Luke 3:16 as He is Romans 8:1-8, He is just as much Luke 23:34 as He is Rev. 22:12-15.
Father I ask you to have mercy on the world and those who do not know Christ, whether they have never accepted Him or they have rejected Him for whatever reason. Father, please help them to understand that true Christians aren’t intolerant or bigoted but truly love people and have the same heart as you have towards them, because you do not want anyone to be lost. Help them to understand that only the pure in heart will see you and those who have even a taint of sin will not see you. Please help the world to see that you are so Holy that you can’t even look on sin, which is the violation of your holy laws. As you said, “For I am the LORD…Your God, You shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.” Father I pray that you help the world to see, that the place to get sin out of our hearts is on this side of eternity, that is why you sent Jesus. As you said, “if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.” This means we have to stay in the bath of Jesus blood for the rest of our lives in order to be ready for eternity with you.
Father, I pray that you help us all, saint and sinner, to understand that Jesus not only died so that we can be forgiven for our violation of your holy laws, but also that His blood is so powerful that we can live and not continue to violate them. Please help us all to realize that the cross tells us how much you love us; and it also tells us of your great hatred for lawlessness. As you said, “God is a just judge, and God is angry with the wicked every day.” Father help us to realize that whenever we violate your laws we violate you personally. Help us to understand that at the cross, you proclaimed to the world and the universe that in your Kingdom there will be no sin allowed.
Father I pray for mercy on the world, sinner and saint. We have all gone astray and lost sight of the magnitude of your love. We all fail to understand that you love us all and desire to have all your children with you in eternity. Help us to realize that the things we do, is not who we really are. We are all created in your image, but have tarnished your image in us with our lawless deeds. Please help us all find our way back to the cross and stay immersed in your Son’s blood until we step into eternity. Help us love each other and help each other. Father, please help your church to love the sinner and hate the sin, and to help the sinner understand the difference.
Finally, I ask that you empower your church to expose the lies of the god of this world, satan, in order to deliver those who are deceived by it from it’s grip. Father, they don’t understand that until they truly open their hearts to Jesus that satan keeps their minds in darkness and they are not able to understand the truth of your word. Father, please help us to live lives that demonstrate to the world that true Christianity is not going to church or following a bunch of rules and regulations to go to heaven, it is a daily intimate relationship with you our Father. It is a lifestyle of living the righteous that Jesus purchased for us at the cross. It is not a self righteousness that we earn. It is the gift of righteousness, which is bestowed on all those who love Jesus, and live their lives in intimacy with Him, through the Spirit of Christ, who is given to empower all those who truly believe and have opened their hearts to you. Amen

Pingback: Worship Setlist – August 1st, 2010 « Hope In Love