Jesus Needs New PR

Jesus Needs New PR

Sh*t Christians Like and Make (and then put on TV for other people to see)

This is hilarious.

Before you complain about me using 75 percent of the slang word for poo, watch the video. I think you’ll wonder why I used the asterisk.

And this is why I have always turned down interviews with CBN, TBN, and the 700 Club.

More people should in my opinion. Do those types of shows sell books? Sure! Along with one’s integrity.

Found at Unreasonable Faith.

bryan

posted May 21, 2010 at 7:23 pm

ugh.

Rick G

posted May 21, 2010 at 7:26 pm

…sweet mother.

RG

Tamara

posted May 21, 2010 at 7:49 pm

“Take it like a girl up in…” That’s some classy Christian shit right there. No asterisk.

Denny

posted May 21, 2010 at 7:51 pm

hahahahahahahahaha

Drew Hulsley

posted May 21, 2010 at 7:55 pm

the basement is right up the road from me….God help us

@nicolewick

posted May 21, 2010 at 8:02 pm

This is hysterical… and the devil is totally wack.

dubdynomite

posted May 21, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I know the guy that started The Basement.

Sure, the TV stuff they do is a little cheesy (ok, maybe more than a little), but their ministry has really done a lot to capture the interest of young people who were totally disengaged from Christianity.

The vibe that they have does not translate well to television.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted May 21, 2010 at 8:17 pm

“The vibe that they have does not translate well to television.”

You know, I think that statement is true for all TV shows about faith.

Christina

posted May 22, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I think that’s JUST it – Christianity doesn’t translate well into “entertainment” for the most part. Especially to the casual observer. Heh.

I think I’m going to start incorporating the phrase: “The Devil is Wack” though. That could prove to be useful.

JuliaKate

posted May 21, 2010 at 10:00 pm

sometimes i wish we’d buy a clue from the mormon’s and not allow cameras during our “ceremonies & services”… or any other weird thing we consider “reaching the world for Jesus.” sometimes i pause on TBN and think, oh God no… not another satellite! i am not excited about chrisitian tv being broadcast all over the world. just more work for christians, because not only do we have to combat the works of darkness to win souls, but we also have to combat the works of goofiness that have done wonders turning off the last 2 generations. oye vey! 😉

Amy

posted May 21, 2010 at 10:23 pm

You have no idea. I was in the Peace Corps in southern Africa and TBN broadcasts pretty much everywhere there. Never has the prosperity gospel disgusted me more than watching someone preach it on a TV hooked up to a car battery in a mud hut in my village of subsistence goat farmers. I think it kind of messed me up.

Juliakate

posted May 21, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I have some idea. I was a missionary for two years in Paris & time & time again I felt like my conversations & prayers were about untwisting the work of goofy christian tv… That & Jerry springer, seriously! It’s often doing more harm then good. I have good friends & even relatives that are guests on these shows & they’re point of view is that they want to be a glimpse of normalcy amongst the insane, but I say it’s a lost cause. Perhaps we Could reach people the good old fashioned way, through relationship…. Even to the ends of the earth. Believe me, Christian tv is no replacement for missionaries & loving your neighbors.

Matthew Paul Turner

posted May 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm

YES! AND have trampolines! :)

healthy_obsession

posted May 22, 2010 at 1:12 am

LOL..I think I’d rather watch CurrentTV. Good video though made me smile.

Heather (Perspective Is Everything)

posted May 22, 2010 at 6:02 am

wow. @@ that is truly ridiculous and sad.

Leanne

posted May 22, 2010 at 9:13 am

If we truly believe our God created…..where is our creativity? We take what the world is doing and slap Jesus on it and abrakaHolySpirit its Christian. No wonder the American Church is struggling. We offer what the world already has mixed with the words of faith–you’re forgiven now so you have to watch this cheesy crap alternative to what you were watching.

Gordon Marcy

posted May 22, 2010 at 11:21 am

infoMania is a satirical news show that puts a comedic spin on popular culture. Was there an expectation of something different?

I’m not here to defend bad art or programming in religious or secular media. But neither would I want to paint all Christian media in a negative light. Billions have been reached with the gospel through radio, television and now the Internet.

One risk I see in “piling on” (Christians) with the secular satirists, is that we might be a little less bold in speaking out when something truly offensive comes along. Hopefully not.

Apparently, the outrage Comedy Central received from Muslims over its handling of the Prophet Muhammad on “South Park,” isn’t stopping them from developing an entire animated series that mocks Jesus Christ. Comedy Central’s head of original programming Kent Alterman considers making fun of Christianity to be “comedy in purist form”….

And just in case we think that if all Christian media were to be “perfectly created,” the world wouldn’t find a way to mock it, the people who make it or the Christ they love and serve … a rereading of Mark 15:16-20 would be a good reminder.

Yes, the InfoMania piece was funny st*f, sadly.

Mike

posted May 22, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I wonder what’s on the Buddhism channel…

Elle M.

posted May 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Speaking of scary, how about that Google ad for “mature singles” in your sidebar, especially the photo of the eligible bachelor… (or does the ad change every time someone visits this page?)

Matthew Paul Turner

posted May 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm

It changes at random! But I can only imagine it’s scary. The term “mature singles” is scary enough.

Tylor

posted May 22, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Ha, you had “mature singles” on your visit so I looked over and got the Child Fund International.

Robin

posted May 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Gaah! MPT this is the second day in a row I’ve fallen into a horrible depression after watching some “Christian” clip you’ve posted. Go easy on us, man!

Carole Turner

posted May 22, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Cheese-louise!!

Oh and thanks for the Swaggart clip, so nice to relive the insanity!

Julia

posted May 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm

STILL laughing thinking about the workout videos.

Dan M

posted May 22, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Yo kids! Pull your pants up and don’t be whack like the Devil! You don’t want to have anal sex like a girl do you?
So irritating.

Paul

posted May 23, 2010 at 12:13 am

Content blocked in my country (UK) due to copyright issues!!
Obviously this means I can’t watch it, but from the comments & the word ‘penis’ in your tags I feel I’ve missed a treat – maybe us Brits just aren’t ready for such deep Christian broadcasting?!

JT

posted May 23, 2010 at 10:41 am

Brutal. I liked the Christian yoga.

joy renée

posted May 25, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I get how cheesy it is. But it’s not all bad.
And I didn’t get why you turn down interviews for CBN, TBN, and 700 club. I’m blonde. Explain it for me?

BDC

posted June 20, 2010 at 9:10 am

DYING!! What you’re saying is you take it up the butt, like girls do!? I dont think good Christian girls have anal sex.

But clearly the dude in the orange shirt has established himself as a closeted Christian top. We get it dude, you’re butch!

And I didnt know there was Tool Academy for Christian networks, that Basement stuff is spot on!