Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by Scot McKnight
Go Cubs!
BabyCubs.jpg
Pray for Chile. Pray for Chile. Pray for Chile.

I rarely hear anyone even discuss the appropriateness of icons anymore, but if you’d like to see an Eastern Orthodox critique of the Calvinist position on icons, read this.
Out of the pain of some serious decisions, this post reflects genuine yearning for God’s grace.
One of my favorite editors, John Wilson, has now taken the publication into online.
Ireland.jpgDavid Fitch sees the publication of McLaren’s new book as an opportunity for missional folks to align and articulate their theology.
Kathy Khang: a tough decision.
Chris Armstrong is one solid, steady blogger.
Kris and I will be in Ireland this June for some lectures, but here’s a taste of the sort of thing happening in Ireland: Chris Wright interviewed by Patrick Mitchel.
Good interview with Kent Annan on Haiti.
On plagiarism.
I like this guy: Brett.
I like the title of his post by Michael: Naysaying, and the others are good too: the anti-book, and rules of engagement.
I like this post: single-mindedness makes an unhappy person.
And the Creed itself comes under debate at times for low church evangelicals, but the Creed is also an issue among Messianic Jews. Check this post by Derek about The Creed.
There’s a sermon here.
There’s more than a sermon here.
There’s even more than a sermon here.
Can white men lead … or what can white men lead?
Meanderings in the News
GBHeron.jpg1. Can you say “I’ve got some milk!”?
2. Religion in foreign policy discussion.
3. David Brooks: “So we’ve sunk another level in our tawdry tale. The White House, to its enormous credit, has tried to think about the long term. But it has been dragged ever lower into the mire by Congressional special interests that are parochial in the extreme. This bill may be deficit-neutral on paper. But it has just become a fiscal time bomb. The revenue will never come. Compromises have to be made to keep it (barely) alive. But responsibility ebbs. Politics wins.”
4. An essay on the importance of American exceptionalism, and a piece that goes against the trends of much of our culture.
5. Value of small touches … : “Exact renderings of the creed differ, but the basic outlines are clear enough. The late Seymour Martin Lipset defined it as liberty, equality (of opportunity and respect), individualism, populism, and laissez-faire economics. The creed combines with other aspects of the American character — especially our religiousness and our willingness to defend ourselves by force — to form the core of American exceptionalism.”
6. We really do need more public discussion of the issue of torture.
7. The essential Democrat logic. The essential intell
igence conditions
— good critical article.
8. Michael Gerson: “Because the legacy of his presidency is at stake, or because of his pride, or because he is ideologically committed to an expanded public role in health care, Obama is pressuring Democratic members to join a suicide pact. When a president doesn’t care about his party, his party eventually ceases to care about him.”
9. Does the word “tax” make you snarl? Check out this history of taxes in the USA.
10. Good story and a good transition to baseball and sports.
Meandering in Sports

CanadaOlymp.jpg

Perhaps the writer’s right: Tiger might just start being a human and go by his real name, Eldrick.
Once again, I contend Figure Skating is judged in too partial a manner, and this article at CNN.com says it better than I do.

Meanwhile, as we watch the Olympics, my friend in Stellenbosch/C-Town, Theo Geyser, watches his Stormers:

Stormers.jpg

Ted M. Gossard

posted February 27, 2010 at 7:29 am

I have to admit I’m not at home in a country where the bottom line seems to me to be the almighty dollar and it’s all about keeping our way of life in the world through whatever means necessary. I am troubled over the health care links here. The Republicans on their own won’t do a thing. They believe in trickle down. I do agree with Roger Cohen on “The Narcissus Society” (first link, #7 in news).
Good review over at Christianity Today, Scot, on Brian McLaren’s new book.

Kyle J

posted February 27, 2010 at 8:15 am

Michael Krahn

posted February 27, 2010 at 8:46 am

Thanks for the links, Scot!

Allan R. Bevere

posted February 27, 2010 at 9:34 am

While I didn’t agree with everything written in the essay on American Exceptionalism, it was great to read something that was cogently argued and reflected some rigorous scholarship. When it comes to politics in the popular venue today, there is too little of that from both sides. I think we really need to shift the health care debate from questioning people’s motives to asking what is the best way to achieve true health care reform. Many of us who do not like the current legislation are greatly concerned about the millions of Americans who are uninsured. As a pastor I deal with the difficulties of the uninsured in my ministry. But many of us simply believe that the current legislation is terrible and will, over time, put us in an even worse position than we are now. And while I agree with Ted that the Republicans will do nothing on their own in reference to health care reform, it must not be forgotten that the Democrats are the ones who have achieved all these back door sweetheart deals with big labor and big business and created this nightmare without the Republicans help.
And, by the way, Scot… I know you have heard this before, but I really despise “capcha.”

ron

posted February 27, 2010 at 11:07 am

Damon Linker has written a response to the Lowry/Ponnuru piece:

Ted M. Gossard

posted February 27, 2010 at 11:27 am

Yes, Allan and Scot, and everyone. I wish both sides would get to work and get beyond politics. As for me, I’d rather be in system where people live with less so that all can have what is needed. Of course all kinds of considerations are involved in that, none of us want people living off the system. And medical costs have to be addressed. But for insurance companies to make medical decisions (and at the risk of people’s lives; I’ve seen that!) rather than we the people deciding through the system, or something better by which medical help when needed is affordable and accessible to all–maybe all agree on that. As for pork barrel, what else in new in Washington? Isn’t this the way both sides have passed major bills? Not right, but that’s politics in Washington.

Jim Martin

posted February 27, 2010 at 11:32 am

Scot, that piece on “Single-mindedness”is really good. Thanks for mentioning it here.

Chris Armstrong

posted February 27, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Scot,
Of course, you are one solid, steady blogger, too! And your occasional kind mentions here of my little blog never fail to create nice big peaks on my WordPress page-views-per-day graph. It’s always gratifying for us writer/teacher/nerd types to be heard out there in the vastness of cyberspace.
I still hope to get over to North Park some day and importune you for a brief chat over coffee. Or, if you’re ever visiting the Twin Cities and have a free hour, the coffee/beer/lunch is definitely on me.
Peace,
Chris Armstrong

Dave Leigh

posted February 27, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I always look forward to your meanderings!
Thanks Scot!