Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Life Together 5

posted by Scot McKnight

Bonhoeffer.jpgIn Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Life Together we are reminded again of the value of beginning our day as has the Church throughout the ages. Though speaking here of “day together” what he says applies to both groups and individuals, but it would be good for groups — Christian groups — to follow Bonhoeffer’s practice:

“For Christians the beginning of the day should not be burdened and haunted by the various kinds of concerns they face during the working day…. Therefore, in the early morning hours of the day may our many thoughts and our many idle words be silent, and may the first thought and the first word belong to the One to whom our whole life belongs” (51-52).
So, take some moments to reflect and to gain silence before God — to offer your day and yourself to our God.
Many of us do not have a “life together” — most of us don’t in the sense of Bonhoeffer. This is why the use of the great prayer books of the Church can join us with others, the communion of the saints, as we say the prayers that the Church is saying. As we say them, we can hear the echo wave across the world hour by hour. (If you need an introduction to prayer books, check this out: Praying with the Church: Following Jesus Daily, Hourly, Today

John W Frye

posted September 21, 2009 at 5:40 am

Scot,
A hearty “amen” to sensing almost tangibly the “communion of the saints” in praying the prayers of the church. I ask the JESUS CREEDERS for prayer as I leave today for 2 weeks of mentoring/training young pastoral leaders in Ukraine. Thanks!

Ted M. Gossard

posted September 21, 2009 at 5:44 am

I find the morning’s refreshing, but I could grow alot in this by using a good prayer book and being more in silence before God.

Ted M. Gossard

posted September 21, 2009 at 5:45 am

I should probably say, in silence before God, period.

RJS

posted September 21, 2009 at 6:53 am

Godspeed John.

Scot McKnight

posted September 21, 2009 at 7:40 am

Our prayers go with you and before you John.

Jon

posted September 21, 2009 at 8:40 am

This has to be one of the hardest things to do:
And i like the idea of using prayer books. I say idea because I didn’t come from a church tradition that incorporates this. Still a whole new ball game to me.
Blessings.

Ellen Haroutunian

posted September 21, 2009 at 11:05 am

MatthewS

posted September 21, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Best wishes, John.

Rod01

posted September 21, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I have owned Bonhoeffer’s book LIFE TOGETHER and for over 30 years and I treasure this work which certainly inspired by the Holy Spirit. The book itself is very brief and can be completed within a few hours. Although Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran martyr, the work is highly ecumenical in its nature anf very simplistic and practica

Ted M. Gossard

posted September 21, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Definitely am praying for you as well and for your time there, John.

John Frye

posted September 23, 2009 at 4:24 am

Thank you, Jesus Creeders, for your prayers. I had pleasant flights from Grand Rapids to Kiev with the luggage arriving, too. Will be teaching in a pastoral training conference in Kiev with 30 young leaders in training. My topic: who pastors the pastor? or, How Jesus the Shepherd cares for his undershepherds. Grace to you, John