Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Coming Conversations

posted by Scot McKnight

PatronSaints.jpg
We are concerned about 20somethings, or iGens, and this blog is devoted to discussions that can help with ministry to 20somethings. I am excited about two recent books I’ve read. So, in about a week we will begin discussions about how ancient saints can help postmoderns and then another discussion about the Third Way (beyond emerging and traditional). To aid us in these conversations, we will be reading:

Chris R. Armstrong, Patron Saints for Postmoderns: Ten from the Past Who Speak to Our Future

Jim Belcher, Deep Church: A Third Way Beyond Emerging and Traditional

Dave Sandell

posted August 30, 2009 at 6:02 pm

I’m really looking forward to this series. Gonna try to plow through the books as soon as possible.

Rachel H. Evans

posted August 30, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I think my readers will absolutely love this series. I’ll definitely be linking. Jim Belcher is sending me a copy of his book to review as well. Should start some interesting conversations. Thanks, Scot, for thinking of us twenty-somethings!

AHH

posted August 30, 2009 at 8:44 pm

On the Amazon page for Belcher’s book, the “Customers who bought this item also bought” section has one book by D.A. Carson and one by Brian McLaren. I guess that’s one sign that it could be third-way-ish.

RJS

posted August 30, 2009 at 8:55 pm

AHH,
Blurbs by Tim Keller and Rob Bell – also a sign of “third way.”

Michael W. Kruse

posted August 31, 2009 at 12:27 am

Just read Belcher’s book. I’ll have a review of it up at my blog sometime Monday morning. Excellent stuff.
Just got Armstrong’s book. Look forward to reading it.

dopderbeck

posted August 31, 2009 at 12:05 pm

So I ordered a copy of Belcher’s book — looking forward to reading it. My quick Amazon preview search, however, seems to suggest he doesn’t take on disagreements over that nature of scripture, which for me is one of the big places where the third way is needed. What does he do with this problem?

Barb

posted August 31, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I listened to an interview with Belcher on The White Horse Inn–August 9th podcast if you want to hear him speak about the book.
I was intrigued enough to put the book on my Amazon list.

Sacred Frenzy

posted August 31, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I have a question about the “third way” that is often mentioned. I understand the appeal, but I had been under the impression that the Emergent/emerging church was a “third way” beyond the conservatism and liberalism of late 20th-century Christianity. If this book is a move “Beyond Emerging and Traditional” then doesn’t that make it a fourth way? Since it is a metaphysical certainty that someone on the traditional side will take issue with the Deep Church, doesn’t that mean that eventually there will be a “third way” beyond Deep Church and Traditional? A “third way” beyond Deep and Emerging?
Again, I’m not trying to diminish the appeal, but it seems that such a dialectic (“clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right”) frames the conversation rhetorically rather than realistically (in which a multitude of ways, not just two, come together to seek the one Way).