Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Canada’s Finest Coffee?

posted by Scot McKnight

2dCup.jpgNope, forget Tim Horton’s. The finest Canadian coffee I’ve had is Second Cup. We first tasted this coffee in Edmonton, we’ve got a bag or two of the beans, and I have to say that this stuff rivals some of the better coffees I’ve had. Ours is the Ethiopian Limu — smooth, creamy, and a great aroma. Indeed, so good one does want a second cup. Great lingering aftertaste.

Greg Smith-Young

posted April 6, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I’d agree, Scot, as far as chain retailers go.
Though, for a purely Canadian cultural experience, Tim’s is unrivaled. One someone doesn’t feel right saying “eh” in a Second Cup, while at Tim’s it is pretty much mandatory.
Now, where did I leave my toque?
Greg

RJS

posted April 6, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I thought 4:00 was Tea-time? This must be somewhere in the protocol…

snc

posted April 6, 2009 at 5:15 pm

RJS, Only in Victoria on Vancouver Island is 4:00 tea-time! For the rest of us its, Timmy’s!! Roll-up the rim to win baby!!
Scot, the challenge with Second Cup is that its only available in larger markets. Tim Horton’s is the coffee of the people and for the people.

michael krahn

posted April 6, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Scot,
If you ever get to my part of Canada (Ontario) be sure to find a Coffee Culture and order a Dark Roast.

Sam Buick

posted April 6, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Well, I hate to disagree, but the best coffee in Canada, is not Tims and nor is it Second Cup. I have lived in Canada a long time, and came from Europe where coffee is king and an art form. I love coffee, even though it is not good for my blood sugar.
The best coffee in Canada is Williams pub brand. It is found in Ontario and it is by far and away the best. Not only is the coffee great, but they actually have a healthy menu, and also terrific cakes, pies, and such treats. It is a great atmosphere in which to each and visit with friends and family, or a business meeting, and enjoy the best, absolute best coffee in Canada.
A transplanted Brit, who is a Canadian by choice (and a Williams coffee drinker by conviction!),
Sam Buick
Waterloo, ON, Canada

Homeless Drew

posted April 6, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I grew up in Ohio and we have always had Tim Horton’s so it just doesn’t seem very Canadian to me.

david

posted April 6, 2009 at 7:20 pm

I’m from Montreal Canada. Love Coffee. I probably have a double espresso a day. Next time your at a cafe, ask for a double espresso with hot milk, a great coffee.
For regular coffee I head to Starbucks, usually amild blen.
BUT 2nd cup is my 2nd home. Usually mild too, and probably the Ethiopian blend. Their stronger coffee’s are really tangy, or fruity – not sure.
Thanks for mentioning Canada Scot!

Dan

posted April 6, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Brent Wittmeier

posted April 6, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Second cup? Second tier, in my opinion! But it is leagues better than Timmy’s (most popular in Canada).
If you’re in Vancouver, where people take devotion to coffee to new heights, Cafe Artigiano is one of many fine local beaneries.

Brother Maynard

posted April 6, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Second Cup handily beats out Starbuck’s and Tim’s, among other chains represented across the country. There are some good regional and independent options though. From Second Cup, I like their estate blend, La Minita Terrazu.

Henry Zonio

posted April 7, 2009 at 12:55 am

Kicking Horse is also a really good Canadian company to get beans from. They also have fun names for their blends.

David W

posted April 7, 2009 at 1:24 am

shameless canadian coffee plug: my brother in law is involved in a terrific fairtrade coffee project called Ethical Coffee Chain. Definitely worth checking out if you are a church or similar organization that purchases some amount of bulk coffee and are looking for an affordable and ethical alternative.

David W

posted April 7, 2009 at 1:28 am

Sorry. one other link.. here are a couple blog posts from their trip to Nicaragua to connect with and more fully understand the needs/desires of the growers that they are now working with.
blog.christiantrademission.com

Heidi Renee

posted April 7, 2009 at 7:35 am

Timmies is a cultural icon, it’s famous for the memories and providing the community a third space – but it’s coffee is subpar. Glad you were able to find a good cuppa while here in the Great White North!

Phil

posted April 7, 2009 at 8:10 am

I’m from the Niagara Region, Timmies are king here, but not for me, gives me gut rot every time.
I second the coffee culture, kicking horse, Timothies and Second cup. We also have some good local coffee places, tea too!

kns

posted April 7, 2009 at 10:08 am

Worth trying. And fair trade.

Aideen

posted April 7, 2009 at 2:27 pm

You do realise Second Cup is owned by McDonalds, don’t you?

Danny Zacharias

posted April 7, 2009 at 8:31 pm

If you are ever in Nova Scotia, try Just Us Coffee.

Albert the Abstainer

posted April 8, 2009 at 5:45 am

Try Planet Bean if you are ever in Guelph, Ontario.

Alan K

posted April 8, 2009 at 10:14 am

When in Vancouver, try:
Bean Around the World (great variety and great chairs to sit in)
Grounds for Coffee (out of this world cinnamon roll)
The Well (great coffee in Canada’s best theological bookstore–the Regent College Bookstore)