Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by xscot mcknight

The Mississippi flooded its banks and broke down some levees.
flood.jpgflood2.jpgflood3.jpg
Took some time off and it was hard to get back into the Weekly Meanderings, but now that I look at them … not too bad. Have fun.
Is the Neo-Reformed movement the way forward? So asks David Fitch.
The growth of the church in China. Could there be 70 million Christians in China?
Eddie, the 8 year old who knows his stuff.
A pastor who knows his words. Which one was your favorite?
Beware the red-winged blackbird.
Are you envious? Read John Stackhouse’s wise piece.
What would you call this piece?
Good line: “a poverty of ambition” from a good article. And read this piece on the Malthusian fallacy next.
JR Woodward on developing a rhythm in life.
I’m way behind on blog reading, but here’s a couple of good ones that I’m catching up on: Eugene Cho and Rob with his hognose and Don Johnson on sin and joie de vin and Bob Robinson on creativity. And Erika dreams of blogging and I dream of those who make comments that need constant deleting. Karen writes about Jubilee.
Husbands, wives, career moves.
Chicago at night, you gotta love this place:
chicagonight.jpg
Oh, and this: a conservative believes … (read the piece long enough to see his list)
1. On South Africa’s xenophobia problems. Here’s a good source for news and commentary about RSA.
2. The American Dream: Barna’s newest study of what Americans want.
3. Known for his human rights writing, Nicholas Kristof’s piece on Israel is worth your time.
4. GAFCON hopes for an Anglican revival.
5. Never heard of this before.
6. On neighboring.
7. Thanks to Marko, I found this article on the report of a very early Christian church.
8. Airlines are escalating their warnings of what is to come.
9. Cram schools.
10. Your brain.
Sports:
When I think of the great athletes I’ve been able to watch over the years I think of Jack Nicklaus, Bart Starr, Oscar Robertson, Lou Brock, Edwin Moses, Michael Jordan, Tiger Wood and of course this guy (light feet or what!).
tiger.jpg
I’m not fan of Johnny Miller’s commentary on golf matches, but I am a huge fan of Rocco.
The NBA, which is more wrestling than basketball, had its draft, and our erstwhile champion Chicago Bulls had the first pick, and chose a local player, Derrick Rose, and guard who played at the Univ of Memphis, and I hope I’m wrong … but choosing a guard is not the way to go. The Bulls need more than a good guard; they need someone in the paint who can make things happen. Well, I hope Rose becomes a star, the Bulls win, and I’m wrong.

Michael W. Kruse

posted June 28, 2008 at 3:20 am

Nice piece by Beck. He captures the conservative essence well.

Carl

posted June 28, 2008 at 5:22 am

Great links, as always. Thanks.
With respect to the Time (magazine) article, while there are certainly things to consider with respect to modern beliefs (and, by implication, evangelism), I do not think the article is frightening as they initially make it sound. I mean, come on: 35,000 is hardly representative of “every” religion let alone representative of “every” American, or even American Evangelicals. :-)

RJS

posted June 28, 2008 at 5:58 am

Scot,
With respect to the combination of the words “Chicago” and “Love” – a combination that crops up with frightening regularity on Weekly Meanderings – I respectfully submit a dissenting opinion. Chicago is that dreaded traffic nightmare that casts a pall over our journey and anticipation of said journey as we try to get from where we are to where we want to be. We face the beast some 6 to 8 times a year.
One could write a parable based on this – a good sermon illustration.

Scot McKnight

posted June 28, 2008 at 6:08 am

RJS,
If you treat Chicago as a place to get through, it fights back;
if you treat Chicago as a delight, it woos you.

RJS

posted June 28, 2008 at 8:07 am

Rocco’s response was pretty good.
On the city of Chicago – perhaps I’ve been scarred for life by traffic jams (hours…) and crowds (think shopping centers and museums the day after Thanksgiving with children in tow). I’m not sure that I can overcome…

mgroves

posted June 28, 2008 at 9:19 am

I find Beck to be a conservative leaning towards populism, but he’s made some good points and his radio show is very entertaining.

David

posted June 28, 2008 at 11:14 am

picking a guard isn’t at all a bad thing, at least if Rose becomes have the superstar he is claiming for himself. Look at New Orleans and Chris Paul, or Miami and Dwayne Wade (for a little while).

David

posted June 28, 2008 at 11:15 am

have = half

Dana Ames

posted June 28, 2008 at 1:36 pm

RJS, (and anyone else who might be interested)
LeRon Shults’ book “Christology and Science” is out now:
He’s asking for feedback on his blog site, and I know he would value very much anything you would have to say.
Dana

pam

posted June 28, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Scot #4 – that answer was gold. i have countless times had to run from the b to c concourse through the ‘go ask alice’ corridor. having spent many hours (days) roaming from gate to gate hoping a plane will take off with me on it, i say it’s good at fighting back too.
it is a delight if you’re not trying to get somewhere else

Preacherman

posted June 28, 2008 at 3:36 pm

John Fry does a geat job with new phrases.
It is great!

Mark Begemann

posted June 28, 2008 at 7:20 pm

I can’t believe i just got Rick Roll’d here… wrong! :)

Anonymous

posted June 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm

American Dreams « The Upside Down World

[…] HT: Jesus Creed […]

Brenna

posted June 29, 2008 at 4:55 am

I like to try to follow the athletes who went to the same college where I graduated, Florida Southern College, so I like to watch Rocco Mediate too, although he attended about 10 years before me.

John Frye

posted June 29, 2008 at 10:29 am

Little 8 year old Eddie is a wonder! Thanks, Scot, for sharing his story.

john mark inman

posted June 29, 2008 at 7:44 pm

The NBA is listening to you Scot. They have tried to make rule changes to make the game less of a slugfest. Point guards like Rose(parker, paul etc. ) can change a game cause they can get to the basket and not be mauled.
The days of the NY Knicks and the bad boy Pistons are no longer.
They are even going to fine people next year for flopping. Rumor is Ginobli has turned in next year’s salary.