Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by xscot mcknight

We’re sensing we are a long way from our home, but “TK” is there remodeling our kitchen. So, hello to TK. Speaking of far away distances … this is some 450 light years from here…
450-lt-yrs-away.jpg
We are in Rustenburg, South Africa, north west of Johannesburg. Many folks see the terrain this way … we did not get here this way and we won’t likely be seen in the gandola anytime soon.
rustenburg4_5225_full-lnd.jpg
I begin with our prayers for John Michael Talbot and the community at Little Portion Hermitage.
And prayers for June Bug.
Emergi-Week:
One of my favorite bloggers is Eugene Cho, pastor of Quest in Seattle. His off-beat humor and clear-headedness keep that blog rolling. Like this post … which ends with a picture that is not likely to win him any awards. He passed this one on too; I hadn’t seen it until he posted it. And, just in case you didn’t realize this, this whole weekly meandering thing derives from one of the most consistent bloggers ever, an early emerger, Jordon Cooper. Tony Jones, a chaplain, weighs in on carrying guns and the Anabaptists. It’s Tony’s old song and dance. Bob Robinson, holding hands with Tony Jones on this one, has now weighed in on whether or not the Anabaptists get it right on government: is it designed to deal only with cracked Eikons?
One of the more insightful pieces I’ve seen on the malaise now infecting the Democratic party’s run-off. This piece explores a similar theme. And this piece by Weisman and Mosk points to a growing and worrying concern by African Americans. I don’t know if this link will get us there — so if not, please don’t write me about it — but CNN.com had a little video that shows Obama’s got game when it comes to hoops. David Brooks seems to have it about right on this one.
We’ve wondered how Christine and family were doing; thanks for posting this Christine. Our prayers are with you.
Read this about the opponents helping this young woman round the bases for her first homer. (I hope the link works — thanks to ksz.)
British Museum Library, which I used a few times, now permits more into its sacred spaces and it is creating a row. The put downs by the intelligentsia are worth the read.
We’re do for new phones … what do you know about the new iPhone?
And this little bear is already ready for church.
God and business — nice read by Moses Lee.
1. The world’s youngest professor.
2. Ansel Adams — a wonderful photographer.
3. Ed Gilbreath comments on the Jeremiah Wright interview.
4. Thanks to Mike Bird for the nice review of my atonement book.
5. Korean academies preparing students for Ivy League schools.
6. Barna’s new study on the use of technology in churches.
7. Ed Gilbreath sees a change in tone in Jeremiah Wright.
8. Any experience with cyber-bullying?
9. Did you see this picture?
10. Anyone (who is still reading) been to hear this singer of late?
11. Just got this one: Billy Kangas has a set of observations about intelligent design and how to talk about creation and science.
Sports:
Now that we are here in South Africa, I ought to mention that Rustenburg will host the 2010 World Cup. If you’ve got Google Earth the stadium is one of those little purplish lights. Looks like a cricket pitch is next to it. We’re staying near a golf course, but I’ve got no yen to cart clubs across the world or to play when we’ve got so much here to explore.
Say what you want, Wrigley is #1 – hands down.

Anonymous

posted May 3, 2008 at 2:30 am

Democratic » Weekly Meanderings

[…] Angus Reid Global Monitor wrote an interesting post today on Weekly MeanderingsHere’s a quick excerptOne of the more insightful pieces I?ve seen on the malaise now infecting the Democratic party?s run-off. […]

VanSkaamper

posted May 3, 2008 at 6:39 am

Wow. Paul Krugman exhibits the same old disconnect and elitism that’s afflicted the pundit class forever.

Tom Hein

posted May 3, 2008 at 6:42 am

That was a heart warming story about the softball teams, and I think I found an illustration for my message tomorrow morning.

evan

posted May 3, 2008 at 7:17 am

That musicians voice is amazing! Thanks for the tip!

Bob

posted May 3, 2008 at 7:19 am

I believe those merging galaxies are 450 MILLION light years distant. At least that is what NASA claims at http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080430.html
Still amazing!
thanks

Diane

posted May 3, 2008 at 8:02 am

Scot,
Thank you so much for these links. The story of the softball player carried around the bases was amazing; it brought tears to my eyes and I would never have read it if you hadn’t linked to it.
I also loved the ten reasons men shouldn’t be ordained. That deserves to cycle around the Internet a few (dozen) times.

dopderbeck

posted May 3, 2008 at 8:29 am

I think you mean 450 million light years. The Andromeda Galaxy is the closest spiral galaxy to the Milky Way and is 2.5 million light years away. The very cool think you have in that photo is two colliding galaxies.

cas

posted May 3, 2008 at 8:32 am

Scot and Kris,
Thank you for caring. We so appreciate the prayers that have sustained us. Scot, I also appreciate the link you sent me to the blog discussion about cremation. The anonymous comments of a blogger helped me articulate my own convictions about a very personal decision. What a strange new world.
Many blessings as you minister in South Africa.

Ted

posted May 3, 2008 at 9:01 am

re: iPhone. Two of my daughters have iPhones. I have the Blackberry Curve. We all love our phones. The Blackberry is the best phone I have ever had. For us, the issue is function. They do lots of photos and music. For that, the iPhone is by far the best, imo. The screen and resolution is much better than the Blackberry. But for simple email, some web surfing, texting, and actual phoning, the Blackberry is great for me and imo has a better keyboard. I was also able to take advantage of a sale and get a rebate ($99). It also included extending contract. I would have preferred to have been able to just buy a phone without contract extension. I don’t think those are available with iPhone.
Customer service is another issue. I had a small problem with my Blackberry. Nothing serious, but an inconvenience and an issue. AT&T is yet to answer the email to their customer service department and the local outlet let me know they sell them, not repair them. But one of the salesman was a neat guy who had a Blackberry and he helped me clear up the problem. He went “beyond”. No thanks to AT&T policy.
One daughter had an issue with her iPhone. Some functions just stopped. She took it back to the local Apple outlet to simply ask a question about how to get it repaired. They replaced it immediately with no questions.

Bob Robinson

posted May 3, 2008 at 9:24 am

I really don’t appreciate the mental image of me holding hands with Tony Jones. I see us skipping through a field of daisies… …yuk.
But thanks for the link anyways!

mike rucker

posted May 3, 2008 at 10:09 am

I believe those merging galaxies are 450 MILLION light years distant.
the more interesting question to ask isn’t how far it is fromus, but rather how far does an inhabitant of that galaxy looking at a picture he took aimed back here say it is?
the only thing we know for certain is that it’s not 450 million light years.
why?
because the concept of a “year” – the time it takes our little rock to go around the distant, anonymous star he can’t even make out in the picture – is as meaningless to him as the word “blog”.
another picture of humanity’s arrogance, perhaps?
just something to think about.
but only in moderation, cause if you think about it too much, you’ll go blind…
mike rucker
fairburn, georgia, usa
mikerucker.wordpress.com

ChrisB

posted May 3, 2008 at 12:52 pm

I saw an interesting article (via Joe Carter) about hacking an ipod touch to turn it into an iphone at a fraction of the cost.

Tom

posted May 3, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Thanks for posting the Intelligent Design Stuff. Well Thought out.

RC Gale

posted May 3, 2008 at 4:06 pm

That fan survey is ridiculous. Wrigley is at least top five. It’d be number one in my book if they had more accessible bathrooms. The urine feedback from the guys next to me wasn’t pleasant.

Peggy

posted May 3, 2008 at 4:29 pm

I was proud of our Washington girls! Glad to see their story has gotten a wider reading!

RJS

posted May 3, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Christine (cas), My prayers are also with you. Those are powerful posts on your blog.
On another issue, I also like Billy Kangas’ discussion of how to talk about ID, creation, and science.

cas

posted May 3, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Thanks RJS.

dopderbeck

posted May 4, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Mike Rucker said: the only thing we know for certain is that it?s not 450 million light years.
Well, the speed of light is the speed of light. So whatever is their equivalent of the amount of time we call a “year,” they will call it 450 million of those; or if they have no unit of time that equates to our “year,” whatever their units are will equal 450 million years when converted.

Bob Brague

posted May 4, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Re the colliding galaxies known to scientists as ARP 272 and individually as NGC 1150 and IC 1179 (according to the NASA website), my Bible has two remarkable verses in Psalm 147, verses 3 and 4:
3 He heals the broken in heart, and binds up their wounds.
4 He tells the number of the stars; he calls them all by their names.
I don’t know which is the more remarkable.

RJS

posted May 4, 2008 at 4:12 pm

The official SI unit of time is the second defined as the period equal to 9,192,631,770 cycles of the radiation which corresponds to the transition between two energy levels of the ground state of the Cesium-133 atom. The meter is exactly the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second.
A light year is exactly 9,460,730,472,580,800 m.
The purpose of the definitions used above is to have something that will allow conversion to different units anywhere, anytime based on physically measured generic properties – independent of our arrogance. So whatever they would use as the unit – conversion is possible.
Oh wait – this is TMI – too much information.

katie m

posted May 4, 2008 at 4:38 pm

Scot. The iPhone changes lives (jk). The ‘visual voicemail’ is the best. For me, it’s iPod, calendar, sms, phone, email… Google maps… like a gps. The internet works great everywhere. If you use the mac apps like calendar, mail (I have all my email accounts organized in mac mail), address book– you will basically have your computer in your pocket and online everywhere. Only reason not to: it’s expensive.
The software that manages this phone is far superior to blackberry. Although, to be fair, I was always using my blackberry with a mac. I think it works better syncing with outlook.

Bob Brague

posted May 4, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Re my #19: Oops, that was supposed to be NGC 6050.

attie

posted May 4, 2008 at 11:11 pm

We are the proud hosts of Scot and Kris in Rustenburg South Africa. Everybody enjoyed him very much last night. You can visit my blog http://attie.wordpress.com/ (Attie se Koffietafel – means Attie’s coffee table.) and listen to his teaching last night on the power of Pentecost. We hope to show him some lions and elephants and giraffes and hippo’s and rhinos on Friday-morning.

Peggy

posted May 4, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Christine…me too, sister….

Peggy

posted May 4, 2008 at 11:44 pm

Scot,
I am so very grateful for the link to the Billy’s wonderful post on the 10 Things to know before talking about intelligent design. I knew there was someone out there who knew that there needs to be a discussion that is open and thorough enough to see the strengths as well as the weaknesses of all sides to this discussion.
Thank you so very much!

cas

posted May 5, 2008 at 7:56 am

Thanks Peggy.

Diane

posted May 5, 2008 at 7:30 pm

Cas,
I just got to your blog. I am so sorry about your son.

cas