Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by xscot mcknight

We escaped any serious flooding in our area, but Chicago was drenched with rains and flooding for a week. Many in our area will spend weeks cleaning up and drying out. [For some reason, some of my Chicago Tribune links are not available and I wonder if it is because they are a week or so old, and #2 requires signing in to Google. Sorry.]
sandbagging.jpgtree-splits.jpgcleanup.jpg
The world’s worst airport?
This has got to be the Parable of the Shrewd Manager on Steroids!
The vote is in from New Orleans on the baggy-saggy pants.
The video-enhanced iPod will mean….?
This is what we have to look forward to this month in the Midwest:
fall-colors.jpg
1. The vitality of religion among youth.
2. Whatever happened to ESPN? Ask Luke.
3. I hope more seminaries develop spiritual direction programs. North Park’s now has its official graduates.
4. Guess who’s 40? I’m certain I’ve not had a Big Mac since I was 40, and I’m guessing the last one was when I was about 35.
big-mac.jpg
5. Counterfeiting must be big business, but the US Bureau is one step ahead with their new Ben Franklin moving image.
6. Review by Geoff Holsclaw of A Community called Atonement.
7. “The grapes she threw April 4 beaned ["graped"?] at least one board member before police led Hitchcock out of the auditorium.” Activists can sometimes just get out of hand. Graping people might be the new form of nonviolent resistance.
8. Reclaiming your evenings.
9. We’ve got crickets in our basement, and Thursday’s commenters gave me some suggestions. But, this is what I really need …
spider-web.jpg
10. The new Nelson Mandela statue in London.
mandela.jpg
Sports:
Now they’ve gone and done it. Someone at Zondervan has re-issued my 1 Peter commentary but done so in new colors: green and yellow. I can’t bring myself to linking to it here since it constantly reminds me of the Green Bay Packers and I just can’t get over it. 8)
The Cubs are in first place; I predicted this at the beginning of the year but I have no confidence. I don’t think the Cubs, Cards or Brewers are good enough that we can say “They’ll win.” Any of them can win it, and I hope it is the Cubs. It looks a bit like this:
tomatina.jpg

joe

posted September 1, 2007 at 6:20 am

speaking of sports, my cleveland indians are in first place! but i cant watch them because they have their own cable network station now.
Ohio state plays their first game today. i can’t watch it either, because i have to get the Big Ten Channel now.
We know sports are all about money, but do thet have to act like it?

Jason Dye

posted September 1, 2007 at 6:56 am

speaking of the Big Ten Channel, i hear it’s not even available in certain parts of Ohio (i’m not sure about Illini country out here. the whole thing kinda caught me by surprise.) and when it is available, it’s not high def.
now, MNF games are available to local teams on ABC, so why can’t a similar plan be set in place for the local Big Ten Teams. if i wanted to watch OSU play Indiana, then i should pay the extra bucks, esp. if i wanted extra coverage of the conference. but i shouldn’t pull out extra money just to watch my rebuilding Illini or, heaven forbid, Northwestern.

Jason Dye

posted September 1, 2007 at 7:07 am

Scot,
some of the links aren’t working. at least 1 & 7. and #2 (your son?) is set to private.

Scot McKnight

posted September 1, 2007 at 7:25 am

Jason,
I can’t figure it out; they all were working and were things I have read. Maybe they are too old and the Trib took them off their site.

Michael W. Kruse

posted September 1, 2007 at 8:24 am

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.
I don’t eat them very often, probably less than once a year, but I still like ‘em.

Diane

posted September 1, 2007 at 8:51 am

Scot,
Nice review of a Community called Atonement. (I liked Brian McLaren’s review too.)
Reclaiming Your Evenings: OK, full disclosure, I have issues with Real Simple magazine … but leaving that aside … My issue with the story was: the women talk about how they structure evenings at home. My problem –and from what I gather, many people’s — is not how to structure an evening at home, it’s how to have evenings at home. The article didn’t address AT ALL how to keep all the evening meetings, work obligations and yes, crucial to this blog, church obligations at bay. So to me, it missed the crucial issue. I try very hard to keep my evenings free so I can be at home. For me, to be at home is recapture my evening. However, inevitably, in my line of work, there is evening work, which I accept, and, as a parent, I have teacher conferences, school events, etc., I also accept. And my kids have some evening activities. The rub is the church activities. I know the obvious way to connect to my new church is to —sigh — do an evening group, but I dread it. Are others here able to be connected with their churches without evening activities (at least on weeknights)?

RJS

posted September 1, 2007 at 8:53 am

Zondervan should have reissued in Purple, White, and Yellow – although my son would say Honolulu blue and silver.
Although I could recite the theme as well as Michael – I don’t know if I’ve ever eaten one. Too big – there are more reasonable items on the menu.

Diane

posted September 1, 2007 at 8:53 am

I dropped words out of that last post because I was multitasking … well, what else is new? I really can write in English with all the words.

John

posted September 1, 2007 at 8:57 am

Heathrow is by far the worst airport in the world, followed by LAX, Mumbai India, most any airport in China and the Nouakchott Mauritania International Airport. But at this point it doesn’t matter anymore, air travel has been ruined by 9/11 and will never be the same again.
Best airport in the world is Hong Kong by far, nice, open airy and the people work to serve you.

RJS

posted September 1, 2007 at 9:00 am

Diane
As daytime hours M-F and in many cases Saturdays are irrecoverable, the only opportunity to connect is evening – except of course Sunday. But do we really want to try to compact everything into Sunday? Or do we just dump connection as an outdated luxury and cocoon at home?

Andie Piehl

posted September 1, 2007 at 9:24 am

That web is all the talk around town. On NPR yesterday they interviewed one of the caretakers from park, and she said they got some rain and that the web has drooped and is not so fairytale like now. She said the most amazing thing when they first discovered the web was the overwhelming hum you heard as you approached. Seems it was from all the captured mosquitoes. Since then, the spiders have eaten quite a view and their is still a slight hum, but your approaching impression is less mysterious than it once was.
I wonder what is going on that these particular spiders who are noted for working alone have become so cooperative and social. Truth gets stranger than fiction sometimes.
Andie in Fort Worth, TX

Jason Dye

posted September 1, 2007 at 10:06 am

thanks, scot.
looks like the Trib’s going the way of the Times.

Ivy Gauvin

posted September 1, 2007 at 10:09 am

My spiritual director is getting her doctorate in spiritual formation through The Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia. That blew me away!

Jason Dye

posted September 1, 2007 at 10:13 am

charlotte’s mosquito web?

Ted M. Gossard

posted September 1, 2007 at 10:22 am

Nice review on your book, Scot, which I’m greatly looking forward to reading, and that looks like a great blog.

BeckyR

posted September 1, 2007 at 10:35 am

The saggy baggy ban can’t be banned, unconstitutional – freedom of expression or something like that. But then nudity in public is banned and that is freedom of expression too. At least for the most part, saggy baggies have all areas covered with the boxers.
Becky – from the hip huggers, bell bottom pants era and mini skirts. Had to sit really carefully so not to show delicate parts unless one wanted to show them.
I went to a sunday church service in a mini skirt, back in the early 70′s, a classy mini skirt, it was tweed. It was a big church with more attendees than there were seats for so some of us sat on stairs or the floor. I was on the stairs. A deacon/usher took me off the stairs and found a place on a pew for me. Wonder what was showing with me sitting on the stairs.

BeckyR

posted September 1, 2007 at 10:48 am

There was a time when you got a free Big Mac if you could say : 2 all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun within a minute. Hubby and I, before he was hubby, were in Munich, jonesing for a hamburger, found a McDonalds and he said that : 2 all beef patties. Now, he said it in english and I expect those timing it had no idea what he was saying, but he said it under a minute. Wonder what it would be in German.

Tom Hein

posted September 1, 2007 at 10:52 am

So far, the Big Ten Network and the cable companies look like that big mess of tomatoe throwing.

joe

posted September 1, 2007 at 11:30 am

i agree. big ten channel and things like it are marginalizing the very people they are trying to reach.

Georges Boujakly

posted September 1, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Dear Big Mac,
Thanks for horrifying vegetarians for the last 40 years.
Yours unsincerely,
Notafan Atall

Diane

posted September 1, 2007 at 2:15 pm

RSJ,
Connection as an outdated luxury … I am simply hoping for some brilliant answers to enjoy that luxury …

Peggy

posted September 1, 2007 at 10:49 pm

Diane,
I knew you would be there with me on that article. Good grief! If I get another tip for organizing I’m gonna puke! Sorry, but this do and be everything to everyone just has something wrong with it.
I do not watch TV very often…although I did watch our Cougars against the Badgers today. The Cougs played better than some expected…I thought they kept the points from being a lot higher ;)
Anyway, if I stayed up until 11:30 every night I would be a zombie…and I just am amazed that people bathe their children every night. Call me a bad mother, I guess, but really…every night???
Okay…spent enough of my evening at Jesus Creed… 8)

joe

posted September 2, 2007 at 2:16 pm

just an update for the sports fan. from an ohio state fan to the michigan fan… good game yesterday. lol. sorry. that wasn’t very jesus creedish. just having fun. peace.