Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Wearing Graduated Lenses

posted by xscot mcknight

Kris got new glasses today, and they have graduated lenses. She’s adjusting to them, but the odd thing is that she’s seeing a little hue — purplish and yellowish — outlining some objects in her distance. She’s not in the mood for jokes! Anyone have a similar experience when starting up with graduated lenses?

Rob Henderson

posted September 1, 2007 at 1:38 pm

I went back to tri-focals after trying the new lenses. I did not like them at all. They robbed me of peripheral vision too.

Scot McKnight

posted September 1, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Rob,
That’s not the “right” answer! I had trouble with peripheral at first too; and I was losing the golf ball in my backswing — and now it is very normal. I like them.

Jon

posted September 1, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Wikipedia lists a disadvantage of distortion and blurring (and if it’s on wikipedia it must be true!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_lenses

Todd M

posted September 1, 2007 at 2:04 pm

I never had any issues like that but, if the glasses are not fitted just right in terms of distance from your eyes, level, etc., it can be a real problem.

Jim Martin

posted September 1, 2007 at 3:57 pm

Scot,
No not that particular issue but Todd is correct. These have to be fitted just right or they do not work. I have word the graduated lenses for a number of years and like them very much. But–on two different occasions, I had to return the glasses because they were off in some way.

Scot McKnight

posted September 1, 2007 at 4:03 pm

Jim,
What were your symptoms when they were “off”?

sonja

posted September 1, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Do you mean “no-line” bi-focals?
I have those. You have to have them sitting just so on your nose, or you can’t see properly. I sometimes get funny furry outlines, if I don’t have mine in just the right place on my nose. This happens often because I don’t have a proper bridge so my glasses slide all over the place … but I’m used to it ;-)

Anni

posted September 1, 2007 at 8:04 pm

I have had no vision issues at all with my progressive lenses, which is what I think you’re describing. Kris should definitely go back and get them refitted. What she is describing should not be happening.
After having bifocals, my husband tried the progressive lenses and it took him quite a while to adjust to them. (But he wasn’t seeing extra things!) You do lose some of the visual space of bifocals. I started with progressives so the space is normal to me and I love them.

david Reeves

posted September 2, 2007 at 8:30 am

its the refraction of the light, probably needs adjustment.

Mike

posted September 2, 2007 at 12:06 pm

Amen to all of the above: at first, my lenses made me a little woozy (like Kris, I also had some weird colors right away), and I asked the doctor about it on the same day I got the lenses. Everyone I talked to-before I spoke to the doctor-assured me that it would go away: and the doctor repeated what everyone else said: adding, come back if the wooziness doesn’t go away by the next day. “It” went away.
I’ve had them readjusted from once or twice the strange hue came around (with mild wooziness). And that readjustment usually is marked by an annual exam anyway. Otherwise, these are a fine pair of spectacles…

Jim Martin

posted September 2, 2007 at 4:37 pm

Scot,
A few of the symptoms include a lack of focus, a mild wooziness. It seems that I had to regularly move my head down or up to try to gain some focus.
What I recall especially though was going through a period where I constantly noticed my glasses (and my frustration with them) instead of the object. I was trying to see. Once they were refitted, I no longer even noticed that I was wearing the glasses.

Linda Gilmore

posted September 4, 2007 at 12:48 pm

I wear progressive lenses, and have a bit of prism in my left lens. But I also have very thick glasses because I’m extremely nearsighted. I actually noticed the yellow outline around things several years ago as my glasses got thicker. So the outline could be related to how sunlight is refracting through thicker lenses, more than the progressive quality of the lens. (of course, if the new lenses aren’t any thicker then I have no clue.)
When I went to progressive lenses the technician made sure they were sitting correctly on my face and I’ve had very little problem. As others have noted, these glasses really do need to sit just right. If they aren’t sitting right, you’ll have problems focusing.