Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Missional Jesus 60

posted by xscot mcknight

This is it. We finish off with Acts 1:8. First the text:
Acts 1:7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
1. Missional Jesus tells his disciples that they do not know the time when history will be brought to a close.
2. What they do know is that God’s power is available to them.
3. Missional Jesus’ followers are “witnesses” to Jesus and about Jesus and for Jesus.
4. Missional Jesus sees movement: from Jerusalem to the ends of the earth.
So, we finish this Missional Jesus series with this prayer from the Book of Common Prayer:
Almighty and everlasting God, whose will it is to restore all things in your well-beloved Son, the King of kings and Lord of lords: Mercifully grant that the peoples of the earth, divided and enslaved by sin, may be freed and brought together under his most gracious rule; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Has anyone put all these posts into a single Word document? Let me know if you have.

Rick

posted September 14, 2007 at 6:34 am

I love how this ends with the Trinity in mind, and with movement expected from His followers.
I have really appreciated this series. Thanks for doing it.

Nathanael

posted September 14, 2007 at 7:24 am

I second Rick’s sentiments…loved this series, brother.
Shalom

Art Going

posted September 14, 2007 at 8:25 am

Scot:
I have a Word doc with the entire series. I had planned to remove filing times still, but otherwise it’s clean. Of ocurse, you may want to change fonts, etc. Let me know if you want me to send it.
Art Going

Geoff

posted September 14, 2007 at 8:28 am

I have Scot, a terrific series!
Thank you.

T

posted September 14, 2007 at 8:42 am

Scot,
Do you see, or, more importantly, do you think the disciples would have heard in Jesus’ words here, a clear connection to and expansion of the prior missionary journeys that Jesus had sent them on?
Would they have taken this ‘empowered witness’ role as an extension (in length and geographic scope, but with the same character and activities) of the prior work?

T

posted September 14, 2007 at 8:42 am

Great series, by the way. Thanks as always.

John W Frye

posted September 14, 2007 at 9:00 am

Encore! Great series, Scot. One spin-off of the series is that you have made the term “missional” friendly and Christ-centered!

Scot McKnight

posted September 14, 2007 at 9:11 am

Thanks again; I’ve now received the posts in a Word document and I’ll start working on a few talks and workshops I’m scheduled to give.

Scot McKnight

posted September 14, 2007 at 9:13 am

T,
I’m sure you are right; they would have seen it as the expansion of their prior missions.

Ted M. Gossard

posted September 14, 2007 at 9:36 am

This is a great series, Scot. As all of them, really. I have alot of great reading and a bit of catching up to do with some, but there’s a wealth of good stuff right on this blog. As I told a friend at work recently, a young man, great reader, if there’s only one blog you read, make it this one, “Jesus Creed”.

Ish Engle

posted September 14, 2007 at 10:45 am

If anyone is willing to share that Word doc, I’d love a copy. This would be a great basis for a short-term Bible study.

Scot McKnight

posted September 14, 2007 at 11:00 am

Ish,
I’ll try to remember to post the whole thing tomorrow or Sunday as a separate post. How’s that?

Dana Ames

posted September 14, 2007 at 5:50 pm

I hope people appreciate your generosity with the Word doc, Scot. It would be easy for you to say, “Sorry, I’m going to publish it as a book…”
Dana

Peggy

posted September 14, 2007 at 7:15 pm

…hmmm…I think it’s already been published here…as a Blog 8) Perhaps “we” are going to be writing another book sometime in the future? ;)
Yes…missional Jesus kept his disciples focused on the mission. I am glad to have caught most of this series. Thanks again, Scot, for these great discussions.

RJS

posted September 15, 2007 at 10:52 am

Your (pl) book “40 Days Living the Jesus Creed” to be followed by “60 Days Following the Missional Jesus”?