Missional Jesus incorporated women in his missional work.
1. Missional Jesus’ mission is the kingdom of God — the society in which God’s will is done and transforms all of life.
2. Missional Jesus was accompanied as much by the Twelve as he was women.
3. Missional Jesus was supported by women who had access to funds and resources and ways to help Jesus.
4. (There is no indication that being accompanied by women was scandalous to anyone in Jesus’ world — maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t — but there is not one text in the Gospels that suggests Jesus’ relationship with women was either surprising or scandalous.)
5. The women around missional Jesus were drawn from all layers in society: demonized, Herodians … and others. (I assume “Mary, mother of Jesus” is one of these women.)
1 After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, 2 and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; 3 Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod’s household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means.