Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Emerging in Austin TX

posted by xscot mcknight

We had a conference call the other day about the emerging event in Austin Texas scheduled for October 19 and 20. This will be a highlight event I think. We hear that the registrations are climbing rapidly and some special discussions are planned.
Emerging Event in Austin Texas.
First, we will have en evening devoted to a conversation about what emerging leaders believe — theologically. We’ll be talking about their views of Scripture and the atonement, to name but two significant topics.
In addition, Dan Kimball will be making a special presentation about not only about his book,They Like Jesus but Not the Church.
After this special Saturday morning event, we will be discussing the impact of the emerging movement on culture and the Church. I hope you can schedule this event. (Now of course there could be some competition if the Cubs are in the World Series.)

Bryan L

posted August 30, 2007 at 9:05 am

Is Gateway supposed to be an emerging type of church? Or is the pastor just sympathetic to the ideas of the emergent church?
Blessings,
Bryan L

Scot McKnight

posted August 30, 2007 at 9:39 am

Bryan,
Gateway, as I understand it, is more of a seeker-church for postmoderns than an emerging church. Maybe I’m wrong.

Julie Clawson

posted August 30, 2007 at 9:47 am

I wish I could make it, but the date changed didn’t work for me… I think my dad is still going and giving my registration to a friend. This could be interesting for him to really engage with emergent stuff. Either it will confirm all his worst fears or it will at least help open up the conversation.

theonlypj

posted August 30, 2007 at 9:54 am

Gateway has some former Willow Creekers in their leadership team – that probably lends something to the seeker style.
What Gateway does extremely well is relate to Austin’s emerging culture. I don’t think any church out there would try to be an emerging type of church unless there was an emerging type of culture in their community.
The local church has to be indigenous to its community. There are churches like Gateway and there are cowboy churches on Sunday night for ropers and ranchers – both indigenous to their community.

April

posted August 30, 2007 at 2:07 pm

Gateway is more the seeker-type church of the Willow variety. I have a few friends who go there. They are quite successful at attracting seekers, and I’m sure have been responsible for those seekers conversions. But, if I were to classify them according to the Hirsch/Frost categories of attractional vs incarnational I’d say they’re the former. They are trying to do something things outside the proverbial box, but the box they’re working out of is already pretty dated in my opinion.
The Austin American Statesman did a whole spread on the emerging church in Austin a few weeks ago. Gateway wasn’t mentioned which I felt was right.
I’m excited about the conference! I’m trying to get 10 people to register together with me so we can get the discount!!

April

posted August 30, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Correction to my previous comment. Gateway was mentioned in the article. It just wasn’t featured as one of a handful of emerging churches the newspaper covered. Here’s what it said about Gateway:
Meanwhile, other Christians had the same goal but decided that the best way to connect with unchurched young people was to bring a more conventional Christian message to new settings such as coffee shops and warehouses. Gateway Church in North Austin, for example, was founded in 1998 as a community open to punk rockers, drug addicts and others who wouldn’t fit the typical churchgoing image. The message: Everyone was welcome, whatever his or her background.
Gateway pastor John Burke wrote a book, “No Perfect People Allowed,” that has resonated with many ministers seeking to reach people who wouldn’t normally set foot in a church.
Though Burke’s writings deal with Emergent Church themes — his church is hosting a conference on the subject this fall — he says he isn’t casting doubt on basic Christian doctrine the way some emerging Christians do. The church, he said, must tend to what’s broken by opening its arms to sexual abuse victims, drug addicts, homosexuals and nonbelievers, giving them a place to ask hard questions about faith and helping them heal.

Scott M

posted August 30, 2007 at 8:22 pm

I’ll echo April’s comments. There are a number of more “emerging” sorts of churches in the area, but Gateway certainly reaches out to those who are frequently shunned in Christian circles. I have some friends who have visited it. Who knows? Perhaps one day we’ll end up there.
I’m looking forward to the conference.

Bryan L

posted August 31, 2007 at 6:09 am

Thanks Scot and thanks for everyone else who commented. From what I has heard y’all assesment seems pretty right on. I’m not making any value judgments on Gateway at all I was just wondering how they would be classified.
Scot I really want to be there, and I’m really going to try. It looks neat.
Blessings,