Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by xscot mcknight

I’ll be adding to this Weekly Meanderings, at the request of others, a brief on speaking engagements for the week. This week (Oct 2 and 3) we have Phyllis Tickle at North Park giving the Zarley Lectures. The lectures are free and you are more than welcome to come hear her talks: 3:30-5pm in the Anderson Chapel at North Park.
Who knows of a Christian college with a sophisticated worship leader training program — one that does a good job in both teaching the theology and leadership of contemporary worship and that introduces students to the ins and outs of technology (stage production/video production/music production) today?
New blog I discovered: Ken Schenck’s site. Some very good stuff.
Just found this: Mark Albrecht and NorthBridge — and others — are continuing their missional ways.
What’s so hard about marriage? Check out Jim Martin’s post and the discussion.
Friend of Missional: those who are in the emerging conversation with missional focus have made a move. There is more to it than Spencer Burke’s misguided book — with more mistakes than a book should have — but the ongoing silence over Spencer represents a concern of many. Jamie Arpin-Ricci weighed in on this issue, too, and also clarified his thoughts.
I hope every church reads and preaches this sermon by Fr. Rob. Adopt one of those college kids off at school. Send them some love in the mail. It’ll make my job easier, too!
“I am all for questions, but my heart was grappling with where best to have them raised and with whom.” This is from Dan Kimball, after deciding whether or not a church-sponsored art-decorated cafe should or should not have artistic nudity. Dan’s a man of wisdom — and the process of what happened is a revelation of artful pastoral decision-making.
If you follow the issue of the worldwide communion of Anglicans, the Kigali Statement could have world-wide impact.
Sorry for so many links up front, but Rumsfeld’s interview (this weekend on CNN) needs to be watched.
1. Stephen Shields has a good post about distinguishing “emergent” and “emerging.”
2. David Crowder with a problem, beside that fancy emergence at the bottom of his face, I’ve never had.
3. Bob Robinson has finished his excellent series on Greg Boyd’s book. Thanks to Bob for leading us through it. Our prayers are with Bob.
4. Very nice article in Christian Century about Jacob’s Well in Kansas City. (HT: Adam Cleaveland.)
5. Marko’s got a nice, thoughtful post on the Achilles’ heel of youth ministry. Drop him a line, asking him if he’s afraid of the upper case letters!
6. John Frye‘s got some reports up about his ministry in the Ukraine.
7. Andrew Perriman has revisited the sense of “wrath” in the NT (here Rom 3:21-26) and he contends that it has to be understood historically (against Jerusalem, against Rome/Greece/enemies) and narrativally, rather than simply an ontic reaction to sin against humans as a whole. His site is not all that easy to use, but it is definitely worth looking at.
8. Erika Carney Haub’s story – must read.
9. Margaret Spellings, American czar of education, has a new, good idea: making college easier for families.
10. Do you think the Trinity is to be mirrored in husband-wife relations? Check out Susan Arnold’s post.
Sports:
I’m less sanguine about the Bears after that lucky win up in Minnesota. I can’t even pick them this weekend against Mike Holmgren (with Kathy — NPU grad!), but I admit I’m hopeful.
Here’s a great article by Bob LeGere about Lovie Smith’s “coachspeak.”
On the Ryder Cup. Those gentle, sportsmanlike, courteous Europeans invited our chaps over to play golf in weather that only those in Seattle have ever seen. There’s some kind of plot against us. My theory is that our selection process is wrong: we need to pick folks who are from the State of Washington only. Our fellas from Florida and Texas and Arizona don’t know how to play in the rain where they hop from bog to bog to get to their next shot.

Anonymous

posted September 30, 2006 at 9:28 am

Subversive Influence » Blog Archive » Jesus Creed » Weekly Meanderings

[...] This is my regular Saturday link to Scot McKnight’s reading list from the blogosphere last week. [...]

Mark Perry

posted September 30, 2006 at 9:50 am

Scot, at Waynesburg College we have in the past year or two added a Biblical Ministry major with emphasis in music, theater, or media. The media focus (in which I will be teaching sound, projection, and lighting) will be training students to work in the kind of church environment you are describing. Is it sophisticated? It is too early to tell, and I suppose that depends on your definition. This new major was added to address the needs of churches that are doing more with music, theater, and media.

RJS

posted September 30, 2006 at 9:51 am

The link for #5 is wrong

jazztheologian

posted September 30, 2006 at 10:01 am

Mr. McKnight,
I just picked up a copy of, “Praying with the Church,” and am enjoying it very much…
If you don’t hear it enough, your blog is a treasure. Your content, spirit and approach are to be emulated.
jt

Scot McKnight

posted September 30, 2006 at 10:01 am

RJS,
Thanks. Just fixed it and hereby apologize to the Marko.
Jazztheologians, many thanks.

Tim Gombis

posted September 30, 2006 at 10:07 am

Re: Da Bears, with Alexander out, they’ve got a real shot of shutting down Seattle’s offense, so if they can put up 21-24 points, they can do it. Think of the momentum a win like that would create!

Scot McKnight

posted September 30, 2006 at 10:13 am

Tim,
I’m not convinced their offense is so tied to Alexander though. Holmgren’s a master of offenses — not just the use of talent.

Jamie Arpin-Ricci

posted September 30, 2006 at 10:57 am

Scot,
Thanks for the shout out. The post you linked lead some to believe that I am trying to distance myself from the emerging church or from Emergent Village. My follow up post “Why I am Missional, Emerging and Emergent” helps bring clarity. Thanks again!
Peace,
Jamie

marko

posted September 30, 2006 at 12:32 pm

i’m not afraid of caps. just lazy. and think they’re not needed in the new digital reality. i still want them in my books. good thing you don’t spend time IMing teenagers, scot — lack of caps is the least of the issues.
i AM, however, afraid of lousy spelling; and i can’t believe i spelled both achilles (i spelled it ‘achiles’) and heel (i spelled it ‘heal’) wrong through an entire post on that theme. doh!

Scot McKnight

posted September 30, 2006 at 12:47 pm

Marko, In my grace I chose to ignore those spelling infelicities. Have you spoken about these lower case spelling issues with Liesl’s teacher? Does she have concerns about her father’s ways?

Ken Schenck

posted September 30, 2006 at 3:09 pm

Hey Scot, thanks for the free publicity. I noticed today that I was getting a lot of traffic from your site and couldn’t figure out why! Of course you set the gold standard for blogs :-)

Erika Haub

posted September 30, 2006 at 4:40 pm

Scot,
Thanks for the link! I’m pretty sure I’m unique as a North Parker with this particular claim to fame :)

molly

posted October 1, 2006 at 5:44 pm

What a GREAT compilation! I had a little extra time yesterday (rare, that) and enjoyed following your link trails.
Also, embarrasingly, I’ve read one of your books AND lurked on this blog for months now, and just recently realized that you teach at North Park… (My skim reading tendancy shows up to bite me again, I guess–lol). We have good friends with the Ev.Cov running a Bible College up here in Alaska, and they’ve all but convinced us that if we ever join up with a denomination, it’ll be Ev.Cov, and have had us convinced that if we ever go back to seminary, it will be straight to North Park! :) I was delighted (and embarrased, since I should have noticed it long ago) to realize that you were with them!

John Frye

posted October 3, 2006 at 6:08 pm

Scot,
Thanks for the word about the Ukraine trip to your bloggers and blog readers. It was a good trip and it’s good to be home.

Big Mike Lewis

posted October 3, 2006 at 10:26 pm

Lucky? Was Indy lucky? How come the Bears are the only ones deemed lucky when they finish a game with a TD?