I’ve been asked what are my top books on prayer. Since I covered “prayer books” (as a book with prayers rather than teaching about prayer) in Praying with the Church, I’ll focus here on books that teach us about prayer. Feel free to mention your favorite books on prayer.
Above all, the book of Psalms and the Lord’s Prayer.
1. Richard Foster, Prayer.
2. C.S. Lewis, Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer.
3. G.A. Buttrick, Prayer.
4. Brother Lawrence, Practicing the Presence of God.
5. D. Bonhoeffer, The Psalms: The Prayer Book of the Bible.
6. Thomas Merton, The Inner Experience.
7. D. Bloesch, The Struggle of Prayer.
8. Calvin’s Institutes and Luther’s stuff on Lord’s Prayer.
9. Classics like Teresa of Avila and Catherine of Siena.
10. P & C Zaleski, Prayer: A History