Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

UCLA

posted by xscot mcknight

I came of age as a basketball player in the Johnny Wooden era. All those banners with a peerless moral leader of the old school like Johnny Wooden simply put UCLA on another level for me. And they’ve been there most of these years. So, I’m cheering for the Bruins tomorrow night. Johnny Wooden created a standard that will perhaps never again be reached by any NCAA basketball team. The present team is one of the best defensive teams I’ve ever seen. Ferocious defense.
On commercials in the NCAA Women’s tourney… Harley paid too much money, because I’ve seen that commercial WAAAAAAAAAY too many times; the Orbitz commercial is corny, and looks like something out of Star Trek’s early years; the cell phone commercial, with just a touch of variety, is still fine.

Casey

posted April 2, 2006 at 8:50 pm

Good Day Sir, I see your Bruins are doing quite well in your poll. I recently lived in Washington State and was a U of Washington fan and sense the West Coast doesn’t get much respect in the college basketball world. Good luck to your boys tomorrow night.
I picked up your book, Jesus Creed at Borders the other night and look forward to a good read.
Also, since I see you like to frequent blogs, you should check my sister’s out. My family serves the Lord in Haiti. My sister is a nurse and she began a blog that described her life in rural Haiti and what she sees each day. She has lived there for 8 years and my family for 12. Her blog is

Ted Gossard,

posted April 2, 2006 at 8:57 pm

Scot, Looks like I’m the first in your poll to vote for Florida. I guess I’ll stick with them since I picked them at the beginning of the Final Four. But I may end up rooting for UCLA. I did root for George Mason, though I really like all four teams.
Yes. I still remember the John Wooden era. The great game in the Houston Astrodome when UCLA was upset. Though less seem to remember the blowout UCLA handed Houston later that same year in the tournament.

Scot McKnight

posted April 2, 2006 at 9:49 pm

Ted,
I sat in front of my TV and cried when the Big E beat Lew Alcindor — remember his eye patch? Terrible day, but they whopped ‘em but good in the Final Four and then beat Charlie Scott and UNC in the Finals. Have I got my facts straight here?

Ted Gossard,

posted April 2, 2006 at 10:12 pm

Scot, The bottom of this page verifies what you’re saying:
Good memory.
I remember that night of the game in the Astrodome, though I was confined to the radio in my room. I too was upset, as I remember it. But the lingering memory for me is what a great game and atmosphere it was. Of course I didn’t see Lew Alcindor’s eye patch.

Ted Gossard,

posted April 2, 2006 at 10:18 pm

Sorry about that link. It doesn’t work after I pasted it. Hopefully this one will: http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/mayhem/history/yearbyyear/1968

rapraptorman

posted April 2, 2006 at 11:05 pm

Best thing about John Wooden. He could keep Bill Walton quiet. Nobody’s been able to do it since!

T

posted April 3, 2006 at 8:42 am

C’mon guys . . . where’s the love? A bunch of sophmores, who everyone expected to go nowhere this year, are playing like a team all the way to the final game–and for a school that hasn’t won it over and over again like UCLA. Go Gators!

Julie

posted April 3, 2006 at 4:01 pm

I have voted for UCLA from the first poll until the last. They always had the fewest votes (just about) until today. They’ve been under-rated this tournament and are showing their stuff at last!
Glad you’re rooting for them, Scot!
do you remember Jim Harrick’s team? They prayed in a circle before celebrating after they won. V. cool!
Oh, and I’m a Bruin alum (1983).
Go Bruins!!!

Alan R

posted April 3, 2006 at 5:17 pm

Although I rooted for both LSU and George Mason, I too am rooting for UCLA tonight, as I live in L.A. I also really am not a fan of Florida, don’t like their style of basketball. When it comes to John Wooden, all I can say is he is one of the finest leaders this country has raised. Not only did he always stick to what he believed was right no matter what it might have cost, his marriage with his high school sweet heart Nell is a thing of beauty and he is truly the greatest coach in American sports history. For those of you who don’t know, ever since his wife past away about 20 years ago, he writes her a letter every month and puts it away. I also heard he never sleeps on the other side of his bed (the same one he and Nell shared) because he has a picture of her on her side. I have had the great pleasure of meeting him quite a few times, even sitting next to him at church after he was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom and he is the most humble man I have met. He truly is one of the great treasures of this country.
Alan

Brad

posted April 4, 2006 at 7:44 am

Tough night for the Bruins. Here’s a link to an old article on Wooden by Rick Reilly of SI. It’s worth a read for all of us who admire Coach Wooden and all of those who wonder why we do:
Long-time reader, first-time commenter. Appreciate your work.
brad

Scot McKnight

posted April 4, 2006 at 7:59 am

Brad,
Thanks for this. I’ll get to it later; I have to get to class soon.
But they looked last night like a team that lives by defense, which couldn’t carry them, and were left staring at the headlights of a team that they couldn’t keep up with offensively.
Let’s hope Coach Wooden’s hospitalization is not serious.

Julie

posted April 4, 2006 at 9:39 am

It was the mirror image of the LSU game. The Gators took the mickey out of UCLA the same way UCLA did it to the LSU.
Once I shifted to admiring Noah’s performance, it was less painful. That guy is destined to be a star and sell everything from Nikes to Porsches.