Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Blogs of the Week

posted by xscot mcknight

Blog of the week: Hamo’s got a great one on a problem with youth ministry — front doors are busy but so also are the back doors! I don’t know the stats, but I’d like to hear from those who do.
Greg Mutch, at Too Mutch, has a vulnerable post about learning about the faces of forgiveness.
A compliment from the one who deserves the compliments. Tall Skinny Kiwi.
1. If you haven’t read Karen Spears Zacharias, I hope you will. Her daughter married a man with the unenviable family name of “Sinner” and Karen calls him “The Sinner.” Read the latest installment.
2. Global warming warning — this is serious.
3. Online prayer and healing: read this post by Dan Brennan. Dan points out that God is spirit, that God’s presence can take place through IM prayers, and that internet relationships have that unusual balance of both intimacy and distance that can create space for genuine honesty to do some healing.
4. This piece by David Fitch deserves more than a mention here; it deserves the conversation that has already begun at his site. What will an emerging theology look like?
5. What do you think about profanity? Read this piece.
6. Happy Birthday to Apple! Makers of the finest computers and the iPod.
China Dolls on DL.

DAWN HUSNICK

posted April 1, 2006 at 7:28 am

global melting….YIKES! What can ‘WE’ do?

Ben Finger

posted April 1, 2006 at 8:25 am

Jeez and I thought my last name Finger was bad. Granted I did know a few families with the last name “Faggit” in high school.

hamo

posted April 1, 2006 at 9:14 am

Thanks mate!

Dan

posted April 1, 2006 at 10:15 am

Thank you for your kind words and encouragment, Scot.

RJS

posted April 1, 2006 at 10:35 am

Scot,
With respect to the Front Door – Back Door issue. I think that one part of the problem is the easy pat answers taught in most churches, and unfortunately most (all?)Christian Colleges. As a whole evangelical churches and colleges at least have not encouraged people to wrestle with the tough issues. Even when there is a surface image of welcoming discussion, there is always the fear of being de facto shunned. As a result in youth and college ministries we produce surface Christians, many of whom are not prepared to encounter the outside world. We need to be equipping strong, smart Christians. One of the reasons, by the way, that your job, done right, is so important.
How do we build disciples not just numbers?
RJS

Anonymous

posted April 1, 2006 at 11:42 am

Subversive Influence » Blog Archive » Jesus Creed ยป Blogs of the Week

[…] Scot McKnight’s regular weekly is up: Blogs of the Week. […]

Elaine

posted April 1, 2006 at 1:19 pm

And a very sad blog reports that. Mark Palmer passed away this week. Mark was the pastor of a young house-type church in Ohio and died of cancer. Sadly, his first wife died nearly three years ago at the age of 26, also cancer. They had a little boy, Micah, who just turned four years old a few days before Mark’s death. Pray for Micah and Mark’s second wife, Amy. Amy and Mark only had a few months of marriage before his cancer was discovered. Thanks, Scot, for your mention of Palmer months ago as that’s how I found his blog. They could use our prayers.
Elaine

Justin Bertram

posted April 1, 2006 at 1:47 pm

RJS,
You asked, “How do we build disciples not just numbers?”
I have a Jesus Creed type of answer on my website.
Scot, I would also like your input on my story if that is possible (I know you are super busy). Oh yeah, the guy who discipled me now lives in Chicago (Logan Square).

Scot McKnight

posted April 1, 2006 at 4:24 pm

Justin,
That’s not a blog post but a book!

RJS

posted April 2, 2006 at 1:42 pm

Justin,
And, while very interesting, doesn’t actually seem to address the issue that I intended to raise – which is how to develop smart Christians. That is Christians equipped to stand up to the attacks of the world – especially the intellectual attacks of the world in general and the academic world in particular, as students and beyond.
RJS