Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Fountain Pens: Christmas Suggestions

posted by xscot mcknight

If you are going to spend some money on a Christmas present, I reason to myself, you might as well spend it on something that will last. So, I suggest a fountain pen if you are so inclined:
1. Waterman Charleston: a nice solid barrel with a good nib. This is my travel pen. Good entry pen.
2. Pelikan 400 Fountain pen: Pelikan may well make the nicest fountain pens; flexible nib. They sell this same style of pen in different sizes (600, 800, 1000).
3. Mark Twain replica fountain pen: it is a bit clumsy, and it is a bit large, but this pen makes me feel like a 19th Century writer when I use it.
4. Conway Stewart: I have the “heather” pen with a lever fill; it is delightful and light.
5. Vincent Van Gogh: this is large but elegant pen with a full stroke nib.

Scot McKnight

posted November 29, 2005 at 10:11 am

Thanks, Luke, I just got on in Garry’s room.

Karen Spears Zacharias

posted November 29, 2005 at 11:52 am

Scot:
Thanks for the suggestions. Great ideas. I have a husband and father-in-law who collect pens the way some folks collect baseball caps. Now I await your list of must-give books.

Karen Spears Zacharias

posted November 29, 2005 at 12:06 pm

So, now that I’ve read further I see that you have already made your book suggestions. I’m humbled to be among the crowd of witnesses. Thank you. And altho, you are reticent to toot your own horn, I blare it. I carry Embracing Grace around with me and tell everyone about it. Of course, that’s not quite like having a recommendation from Oprah…

Pat

posted November 29, 2005 at 12:53 pm

Scot, perhaps I’m confused, but every time I try to use a fountain pen I keep getting the ink all over my laptop screen, and the stupid programs just sit there not responding.
Can you help me please?
;)

bob smietana

posted November 29, 2005 at 1:50 pm

Any suggestions of fountains pens for those of us with budgets strained by little kids– who want to try out fountains pens before plopping a few hundred bucks on one

Brian

posted November 29, 2005 at 2:08 pm

I have a rule when it comes to sunglasses: Since sunglasses are useful, but often break or are lost, never spend more than $15 on them. I never knew I’d need a similar rule for pens.

marko

posted November 29, 2005 at 4:14 pm

i’d just ordered 6 as gifts earlier today (prior to reading this) from your previous suggestion of http://www.fahrneyspens.com. got the following:
DUCATI 750 RB YELLOW
PELIKAN TRADITION 215 RB BLUE
DELTA FLUIDA BP ALUMINUM
MONTEVERDE REGATTA RB SUNSET RED
RETRO CIOPPINO MOTHER OF PEARL FP B
DUCATI 750 BP BLACK

Dana Ames

posted November 29, 2005 at 6:46 pm

Bob,
Waterman has some entry level fountain pens, available at our local Staples for $40-60, so probably yours too, or other office supply store. I have a nice Platinum pen (brand name, not what it’s made of…) I got from Levenger for $70. This is my “everyday” pen. Schaeffer makes some cartridge-only pens for under $20, if you just want to try one out and see how it works for you.
Generally speaking, the more expensive pens have very artistic outsides, flexible and precisely-crafted nibs, and better-quality materials for the inner workings. As in all things, 1) you get what you pay for, and 2) each person has his/her preferences.
Fountain pens aside, just thinking about all the Bics in landfills everywhere makes me want to be able to use writing implements that are at least refillable. I’m moving toward this at my own desk.
Dana

BJBergfalk

posted November 29, 2005 at 8:34 pm

Just received my Christmas present from Levenger today. Pelikan Fountain pen. I’ll wrap it up. Bring it home and put it under the tree to be surprised yet one more Christmas morning…
BJB

Kris

posted November 29, 2005 at 8:59 pm

Ah yes, a “To Brad/From Brad” gift. That’s the only way to be sure you get want you want!

Scot McKnight

posted November 30, 2005 at 12:35 am

Pat,
Foutain pens work much better if you put the computer on top of them. Haha.

Scot McKnight

posted November 30, 2005 at 12:58 am

Marko, you are the finest of shoppers!

jason

posted November 30, 2005 at 9:33 am

If you are in denver, go to Paradise Pen Company in Park Meadows and see Corey. Tell him I sent you and he’ll hook you up. They carry a nice assortment and everything Dr. McKnight is talking about. You get what you pay for!

jason

posted December 1, 2005 at 6:04 pm

any suggestions for a lefty hankering to try one out?

Dana Ames

posted December 1, 2005 at 7:36 pm

Jason, my husband is in the same predicament. Unfortunately, you will have to learn to write with the paper turned so that its long axis is perpendicular to your forearm (mirror to the way righties are supposed to have it), pulling the pen rather than pushing it. If you can do this, though, you can use a fountain pen.
Dana

discokvn

posted December 4, 2005 at 10:37 am

while not a fountain pen… i really love my sensa pen, i believe it writes underwater and in zero gravity (for those of you who find yourselves in such situations)… also, i’m big on the mech. pencil (.07 lead)…
glorious writing,
discokvn

Big Chris

posted December 11, 2005 at 2:41 am

Mont Blanc. I never understood that a writing instrument could bring pleasure until I owned a Mont Blanc. Sure they are expensive (mine was a reward from a former place of employment), but I would buy one now that I have used one for a while. http://www.montblanc.com/
Big Chris

Sue

posted February 8, 2006 at 10:14 am

I am crazy about fountain pens — but loath the high prices for pens (even from Levenger) that give you some kind of trouble.
I have found some economy range, cartridge type ink carriers, from DICK BLICK (great catalog & net site) that have been useful for writing, drawing, doodling, etc.
And whatever happened to ink blotters for use after you write?