In this series of blogs I want to look at a variety of categories and the top ten books for each category. Today we will look at Spiritual Formation.
By way of preface, there are four books that look at spiritual formation in a comprehensive, text-book fashion. I will avoid “linking” to Amazon on each of these.
M. Thompson, Soul Feast.
R. Foster, Streams of Living Water.
J. Ortberg, The Life You’ve Always Wanted.
T. Jones, The Sacred Way.
My Top Ten Spiritual Formation Books
1. St. Augustine, The Confessions.
2. John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress.
3. J. Edwards, Religious Affections.
4. D. Bonhoeffer, Life Together.
5. T. a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ.
6. C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
7. The Way of a Pilgrim
8. Teresa of Avila, A Life of Prayer
9. A. Schmemann, For the Life of the World
10. H. Nouwen, Reaching Out
R. Foster, Celebration of Discipline
J. Wesley, The Journal of John Wesley
J. Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book 3.
M. Luther, The Freedom of the Christian
Br. Lawrence, Practicing the Presence of God
The Rule of St. Benedict
D. Taylor, The Myth of Certainty
The Little Flowers of St. Francis
T. Merton, The Inner Experience
W. Law, A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life
The Journal of John Woolman
D. von Hildebrand, Transformation in Christ
There are so many more