Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

On Writing: A lecture

posted by xscot mcknight

The following is a lecture I gave at North Park, and at a few other places and in a few different forms. It studies “liberal arts” and then encourages writing. I shared some of these in a previous blog, enough wrote to me for a copy of the whole thing, so here it is.

I have a friend at a major research university who teaches on Thursday afternoons, 3-5, and when he learned my hours of teaching he asked with a snarl, “How do you get anything done?” I have another friend, a high school driver’s education teacher who never reads a book but who teaches from 7:20am to 3:30pm with a one hour break and who also coaches after school, who asks me regularly, “Is it because you can’t stand the pressure that you don’t do anything?” I have another friend, a manual laborer, whose comments to me are of this order: “How can go through life not doing anything?”

For full text, click here.

Horace Jeffery Hodges

posted August 22, 2005 at 8:11 pm

Good essay. Of course, it made me feel guilty.You might be interested in correcting what appear to be a few typos:Page 1: How can go through life not doing anything? –> How can you go through life not doing anything?Page 11: Mary Douglass –> Mary DouglasPage 16 You don’t enjoy giving them and students do learn from them. –> You don’t enjoy giving them and students do not learn from them.Jeffery Hodges* * *

Michael Pahl

posted August 22, 2005 at 8:46 pm

Thanks for this essay with its wisdom borne of much experience and reflection. I’ve forwarded it to my colleagues at our College, as we are collectively and individually working through the sorts of questions which this essay addresses.

jinny

posted August 22, 2005 at 10:17 pm

Let’s see, 2 of your former colleagues have said you’re a funny man; one of them even said, they still haven’t forgiven you for leaving. ;) I was also told that Lukas & Laura were the reasons Dr. Younger’s kids wanted to go to a particular church in Libertyville. :) You’re still fondly-remembered at Trinity, Scot!

Lukas McKnight

posted August 23, 2005 at 8:03 am

The paper made me think of the not-well-known Robert Frost poem, “Two Tramps in Mud Time.” An unpoetic name, that is, and here is the last stanza-My object in living is to uniteMy avocation and my vocationAs my two eyes make one in sight.Only where love and need are one,And the work is play for mortal stakes,Is the deed ever really doneFor heaven and the future´s sakes.

Bob Robinson

posted August 23, 2005 at 6:30 pm

Horace,I originally went through the document and corrected a few punctuation errors (mostly extra spaces here and there), but I missed those typos.Thanks for the heads-up on those. They are now corrected.http://www.vanguardchurch.com

Len

posted August 23, 2005 at 8:04 pm

Lukasthose lines became a foundational reflection for an excellent book by Parker Palmer 20 years ago. The title was “To Know As We Are Known” and subtitle “A SPirituality of Education.” His more recent book is simply profound and it is his life story: “Let Your Life Speak.”

Eric Manuel

posted August 24, 2005 at 2:04 am

Dr. McKnight, This is truly an inspiring essay for scholarship in the academy. Do you have any thoughts on scholarship coming out of the church? Could/should Biblical scholarship come from the church?Or is scholarship strictly the realm of the academy?

Horace Jeffery Hodges

posted August 24, 2005 at 3:12 am

Bob, call me “Jeffery.”No problem — typos leap up to my eyes, I’ve been proofreading so many years.Jeffery Hodges* * *

Scot McKnight

posted August 24, 2005 at 7:26 am

Eric,It would be nice to see that sort of thing written by some “writing pastors.”

Ryan Bolger

posted January 26, 2006 at 3:09 am

Thanks for contributing your wisdom regarding the challenges for professors in regard to writing, teaching, and scholarship. Great stuff.
I look forward to meeting you next month.
All the best,
Ryan

Aaron Ghiloni

posted April 23, 2006 at 7:50 pm

I especially enjoyed the practical wisdom you shared about developing a writing career/strategy.