The Jazz Theologian

The Jazz Theologian

Which one do you like?–Logo for Sankofa

posted by Robert Gelinas

I would love your opinion on the three logos you see below.  They are for The Sankofa Institute that I’m starting. (see here)

Remember, Sankofa is the West African concept that we must remember our roots as we move forward.  This is symbolized by a bird in flight, that, as it soars forward, looks backwards.  In its mouth it carries an egg.  For us, at The Sankofa Institute, this symbolizes the need for leaders who can glean from the past and lead us into God’s future.  As we do, we nurture those things that have yet to hatch and bring forth life.  “Sankofa” literally means, “It is not wrong for us to go back and find that which we have forgotten.”
These logo designs still need a little refining. That being said, which concept do you like best and why?  How would you tweak the one you like to make it better?

JHTDesign-Sankofa_Logo1_Web_Post.jpg
JHTDesign-Sankofa_Logo2_Web_Post.jpg
JHTDesign-Sankofa_Logo3_Web_Post.jpg
(Designs by JHTDesign)

Melanie Jones

posted December 16, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Concept A

Ginny

posted December 16, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Love Concept A and love the idea of a Sankofa Leadership Institute.

Ann marquez

posted December 16, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Go with A. It gives off the feelings of tranquility and nature. God Bless!

Andrew

posted December 17, 2010 at 1:07 am

A is my preference as well. Very cool.

linda

posted December 17, 2010 at 2:15 am

All the designs are great. Concept B makes me think of a great letterhead design. Of A and C, I prefer C. A is very nice, but doesn’t give me the feeling of forward motion, but more of protection (by encircling the egg). I like how C is rougher around the edges, not so perfectly and cleanly ‘drawn’. I think it would be even better if somehow we could see more “motion” in the drawing. The bird could have outstretched wings or something. Great designs. Kudos to the designer(s)!

Sarah

posted December 17, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I like A.
Can see it on a t-shirt. :)
I can tell what the logo “is”, and it makes me want to know what it’s about – what does it “mean”? Which is a great conversation starter.
S

Keith

posted December 17, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I like concept B. Suggestion, you take the bird from the A concept and replace the o in the word sankofa in the B concept. If it look too busy with the bird as the “o” then go with the plain concept B. U da man!

Lynda Woodward

posted December 17, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I most emphatically prefer A. Beautiful in concept and design!

Steve H.

posted December 18, 2010 at 11:06 am

A and C. I agree with Linda. A gives a great feeling of protection, security and comfort. C, because of how it is drawn, makes me think strength. How would it be to “combine” A and C. Give that more protection/comfort feeling, with the hard look of strength the C shows.
Everything looks very good. Thank you for all that you do.
God Bless

Karel

posted December 18, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I agree with Keith! I like A very much, but think it is too large for practical use (ie:letterhead) It would be great to somehow incorporate the bird into B, perhaps at the end of the logo, arching back toward the logo. I think that C looks a bit angry, but that’s just my perception.
Great initiative!

Richard

posted December 26, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I like A – minus the crest in the middle and the bottom lip of the bird. The bottom lip is just confusing to me and there’s no need for the crest if it’s in the name of the logo. I like A best because really, the logo is the Sankofa bird. This can stand alone or with the Sankofa font (which can also stand alone). None of the other concepts and stand alone and I prefer this option because it allows for more flexibility of your branding.
thanks for asking.
got any jazz recommendations?
Rich

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting The Jazz Theologian page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Red Letters with Tom Davis Recent prayer post on Prayables Most Recent Inspiration blog post Happy Reading!

posted 9:08:40am Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Celebrating National Adoption Month
November is National Adoption Month.  God is up to something.  The Bride of Christ is waking up all across this nation to the need to care for orphans through adoption and foster care. James 1.27 makes it clear that to be Christian is to care for orphans, "Religion that god our Father accepts a

posted 1:42:26pm Nov. 11, 2011 | read full post »

Sermon of the Week: Your Lot in Life (P6)
This book just keeps getting better! [vimeo]http://vimeo.com/31323811[/vimeo]

posted 3:00:02pm Nov. 05, 2011 | read full post »

Guest Blogger: Patricia Raybon
A Ghost? Or Our God?   By Patricia Raybon It’s dark, cold and early. But I’m excited. On this morning, the most important thing I have to do is hear from God. And not just a little bit. I want to hear without limits. Isn’t that what we’re all saying today? That we want to be blessed by

posted 6:00:00am Oct. 31, 2011 | read full post »

Sermon of the Week: Your Lot in Life (P5)
Good News:  Pure Motives Are Not Required Before We Serve In The Kingdom of God! [vimeo]http://vimeo.com/30383671[/vimeo]

posted 3:56:39pm Oct. 28, 2011 | read full post »