Deepak Chopra and Intent

Deepak Chopra and Intent

Growing Up with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (by Mallika Chopra)

posted by Mallika Chopra

I learned transcendental meditation when I was 9. I think I met Maharishi Mahesh Yogi for the first time when I was 13, and for the next decade he was a major influence in my life. I remember sitting for endless hours with Maharishi – sometimes crowds of thousands of people, others times just with my parents and brother. Because of my father’s (Deepak Chopra) relationship with him, Maharishi was someone we knew, rather than someone we idolized.
When you were with Maharishi, it truly was like time did not exist. There was a sense of connection to something deeper. Maharishi was a visionary. He always spoke in grand, universal, mythic terms. Numbers were always infinite, possibilities endless, nothing too difficult to accomplish. He would talk about changing the world in sweeping terms, and then suddenly, focus on some minute detail. Since people from so many walks of life came to Maharishi, those endless hours were full of individuals who did different things, who came from every corner of the earth. Maharishi spoke a universal language that resonated with all of them. His language touched people’s souls. You could tune in and out of what he said, and still feel like you were experiencing something truly monumental.
As a young girl, I did not understand most of what was talked about, but I wanted to be there. I felt inspired, energetic, motivated and at peace. When we left him, I would run and shyly give him a rose, and he would give me a smile that always made me laugh.
Maharishi would talk with his sweet voice and then giggle – a giggle that then erupted into a wave of laughter that tickled those in his presence at their very souls. I will always remember the laughter around Maharishi. Around him, I felt happy and free and timeless. Even though I was shy, I could laugh with abandon – a laughter that was so uplifting.
I remember very clearly the evening my mother called me to tell me that she and my father had left Maharishi – for good. I was a senior at Brown University, and to me it was quite devastating because his presence had, in many ways, formed my identity. But, upon reflection, it was the natural step in a mythical relationship between a guru (Maharishi) and his disciple (my father). The comic books that my brother and I had read growing up had the same theme over and over again. At some time, the guru says good-bye, and the disciple moves on.
That evening, I went and got a red rose and headed to the local TM Center in Providence. The people there had always welcomed me as a daughter, and it had proved to be a quiet haven for me throughout college. I sat in the meditation room, the rose in my hand, and meditated for over an hour. When I came out of my meditation, I felt a tremendous sense of strength and peace.
I realized in that moment the wonderful gift that Maharishi had given me – the ability to connect to myself, to love myself, to laugh and feel connected to something universal.
Yesterday, when my father called to say that Maharishi had left, I felt that peace again. It has been more than 10 years since I last saw him, but his gift is still with me. When my father taught my elder daughter to meditate last summer, Maharishi’s gift was passed on to her.
Today, I plan to spread rose petals around my house with my two little girls. To honor Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, we will meditate and cuddle and play. And, most importantly, we will smile and laugh and celebrate.

louise marble

posted February 7, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Thank you so very much Mallika for your’ thoughtful words and experiences with Maharishi has a young girl. It is nice to get an inside view from you and your’ brother. I remember the Chopra family with fondness amongst hundreds of people, looking a little bewildered at everything going on around you. All blessings…

nancy

posted February 7, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Thank you so much for speaking so honestly, and wisely. What a beautiful gift for all of us at this time.

GARY

posted February 20, 2008 at 10:04 am

Malika, Did you not want to know why DEEPAK left Maharishi?
I have a hunch, Chopra did not leave Maharishi. I think it was the otherway round. Guru did not approve of Deepak`s intense greed and
craviing for more and money to mint in whatever way he could.

Anne

posted March 19, 2008 at 5:28 am

I attended a ‘school’ where I learned much about consciousness and got initiated into meditation. I attended for about 8 years (part time).
When I left for good, I missed much of the miraculous stuff that happened there but…the higher up I got, the more conflicts I had with policy and how to be in the world. This does not mean that the ‘holy man’ who flew in from India to do the initiation was not authentic nor that I did not learn much, but my path was different.
Not to be too specific, but in doing service to the school, all the jobs were gender specific. This & other things became more evident as you got higher up. I was more comfortable with a hammer in my hand than a dust cloth. But, the policies crept into every aspect of your life as time went on. I was so frightened when I left, that I had lost my chance for enlightenment. It is very difficult. They were not frauds, just not my path.
I believe Baba Ram Dass studied under the same person,Maharishi Mehesh Yogi. His stories about MMY are wonderful to read. I believe that both Deepak & Wayne Dyer are taking care of him since his stroke. They have the means to do so. Baba Ram Dass had given up his inheritance and spent his money ‘feeding & taking care of people’ as MMY told him to.
Whatever Deepak does on his path, is his karma. I don’t feel I am in any position to judge him & he has done a lot of good for me and others.
BTW – There is a book, it has been (I don’t know the proper term)re-published after many years – title= Stranger in a Strange Land.
At the end, what the main character tried to give away free was rejected until he started to charge for it. — Just a thought.
2nd. BTW- I do believe that everyone should have access to meditation regardless of their financial situation.
Gary, I’m sorry you are so angry with Deepak but if being generous is so important to you, there is ‘Habitat for Humanity’ & Bill Clinton wrote a book recently about GIVING. I don’t remember the title but saw the entire interview with him, and it is full of some many ways both small & large and everything in between, for everyone. You might want to look into it and get some ideas on how to be the opposite of what you despise.

Your Name

posted January 11, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Thank you for sharing Mallika. I have been doing TM for 25 years and also deeply respect your father and the great work he is doing as well as you and your brother. Thank you for your writing and your wonderful websites.

brady

posted April 21, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Baba Ram Dass did not study under Maharishi Mhesh Yogi. This is easily discovered by reading up on Richard Alpert.

Dan Friedman

posted April 18, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Dear Mallika,

Reading your words made me feel as if I was with Maharishi.

Franz Rickinger

posted January 21, 2015 at 5:35 am

Good day, hallo

Part one: Mr Mahesh and his relationship to Swami Brahmanda Saraswati
=========

About his early days in USA one can read the book of Mrs. Olson “a hermit in the house”.. Mr Maheh Yogi had stayed in here house for a few months and she has reported about those days.
She reports that he used to say after his lectures “everyone is invited to come for initiation”; yet afterwards he had went – at least twice – to Mr. Olson and had said to him: “Don’t allow this or that person to come”; it gives some insight into his behaviour during those days and his way of promising, etc.

Let’s examine Mr. Mahesh’s own story about how he had come to Swami Brahmanda Saraswati:
Mr Mahesh had narrated as follows ( I re-narrate it according to his story; not literally but as close as possible out of memory):
>>I had been fond of visting saints. Someday a friend told me about Swami Brahmananda Saraswati. I went there and arrived at night; It was all dark. I felt someone sitting there but I couldn’t see anything at all. Suddenly the light of some car – at quite a distance was passing by – and that made it possible for me to see his face for a short moment. At that moment I knew that I had found the right one.
I asked him whether I may become his pupil.
He replied: “What have you been doing?”
I answered that I was studying physics.
He answered: “Better first finish your study; then you may come”
I asked him: “Where will I find you?”
He answered: “You’ll find me somewhere here around”

I went back and I was working to finish my study; I was so excited that I had some troubles finishing my study.< Internet) then one finds that even 3 persons are said to claim or to be claimed to be the Shankaracharya of the North at present.

At “indology.info/papers/sundaresan/shank-jyot” (-> internet) one can find the same fact.
They say among other things:
>>Swarupananda Saraswati’s Dwaraka title is undisputed, and he is routinely described in press reports as the Sankaracharya of Dwaraka. However, it should be noted that while his status as the head of two principal mathas is somewhat unusual, and also confusing for the lay public, it had not been insisted that he relinquish his position at Jyotirmath, before taking charge at Dwaraka. Swarupananda had attended the 1979 meeting of the Sankaracharyas at Sringeri, in his capacity as the Sankaracharya of Jyotirmath. He also attended the funeral ceremonies of Swami Abhinava Vidya Tirtha at Sringeri in 1989. In June 1993, a joint statement was issued by the Sankaracharyas, in connection with the Babri Masjid demolition, which Swarupananda Saraswati signed twice, in his dual capacity as the head of both Dwaraka and Jyotirmath. And as Jayendra Saraswati of the Kanchi matha has also signed the 1993 statement, I assume that he too accepts Swarupananda at both Dwaraka and Jyotirmath.< Paul Mason):
>>Extract from ‘Shri Shankaracharya Upadesha’
pages 20-23 of the newsletter of Shankaracharya of Jyotishpeeth
Published 20th July 1953< internet).
Mr Mahesh had been somehow deeply shocked and – different from other shocks – he somehow couldn’t get rid of it.
There was that feeling that it had to do with his course.
Mr Mahesh tried to explain what had taken place and he suddenly stopped to even try to talk in those scientific terms that he had been trying to maintain throughout so many years..
Mr Mahesh said that as a result of so many people practising TM – at such a rather small spot – quite a lot of ‘sattva’ might had got produced. When the course had ended that production of sattva had come to an sudden end and as a result of that lack of affluence of
sattva such a thing as that revolution might have happened.
(…What had he thus said, too ? He has said that TM would be a very dangerous something if it would be practised in larger groups more often a day…)
It was obvious that he hadn’t understood what had happened; he had been searching for an explanation to soften down that deep feeling within him that there had been some “link” between his course (…better expression would probably be: between „him“…) and that revolution. Of course he hadn’t wanted to get drawn into things like communistic revolution. He had used to talk in favour of evolution and had used to reject that principle of communistic revolution.

His explanation about those happenings in Ethiopea never could convince me.
As a matter of fact Mr Mahesh handed over all organizational responsibilities to the so-called “board of directors” after that revolution had taken place..
Within about 1 year the “TM-movement” got changed into something that got labeled – for instance – by Germany as a dangerous sect.
(….There had been a very strong influence of the US-TM-organiaztions; there had been the rumour that “sect” would have had advantages in the field of tax….).

One more – may be – linked fact in that context is that Tatwale Baba got assassined at the end of 1974.
Tatwale Baba had lived in a cave near the “ashram” of Mr Mahesh and (..as I had been
told by some TM-teacher who had been deeply shocked when he had heard about the death of Tatwale Baba in 1974 ..) Mr Mahesh had sent someone of his helpers to Tatwale Baba to ask him to come down into his ashram from time to time. (…regarding those early TM teacher training courses that had still been done at Rishikesh…)
Tatwale Baba then talked to those TM-practicioneers, answered questions, …
Tatwale Baba had been a sort of friend of Mr Mahesh.
Thus those two attacks – that had been in the above sense attacks – against Mr Mahesh happened within a short period of time.
Asassination of a friend and the revolution in Ethiopia,
He who had assassined Tatwale Baba regained his freedom already after about only 1 year of prison.
(see internet reports…).
When I had heard Mr Mahesh’s talk twice within only 4 1/2 months and after having heard it 4-5 times altogether I suddenly started to remember those reports of German politicians like Dr h.c. Franz Josef Strauß, documentaries in TV, etc regarding those young supporters of communisme – escpecially – in 1968: “Long way through the stately organizations to convert there functioning eventually”.
I got to the result that another possible explanation – leaving Mr Mahesh’s explanations as a hypothesis – would be:
Some such young supporters of communisme had failed to infiltrate those stately organizations and they had – may be – altered their plan to infiltrate international organiazations like the TM-movement in the hope to be someday able to manage a
turn-over towards communsisme in India, Nepal, etc.
I remembered the TM-course at Kössen in autumn 1971 which had been attended by Mr. Mahesh (…Bramcharya Satyananda had been present……).
(I had been practising TM since spring 1971; I had still been of minor age until march 1973, I hadn’t got written permission by my parents for learning TM, etc. Of course I hadn’t falsifed such a permission! – Some people in the TM movement stated later that I would have had falsified. Those are lying! -.
I had not been able to avoid to ask for initation because my teacher of German language and Geography – a certain W.S. – had violated the law that should garantuee the means of freedom of learning and means of freedom of teaching….
Thus I have had a pupil-like objective approach to that TM-movement and I hadn’t started from my own at all.
If that teacher would not have interfered I hadn’t asked for initition before I would had reached full age; if I would have ever asked for iniitiation in TM I don’t know, because I hadn’t taken any decision regarding that….).

Some people here and there said to me at that course at Kössen/Austria in autumn 1971:
” Oh look that man there, he was/has been one leader of the student’s big demonstrations in 1968.
Look at Him, He was/has been chief-ideologist of SDS – Socialistic German Club of Students -“, etc.

Someone made the suggestion that someone should take care of the TM-movement’s relationship towards the Soviet Union.
Mr Mahesh then gave that job to a certain Mr. P. H..
Mr Mahesh said literally to Him: “Take a Mercedes and go”.
(… I remember that very well because it sounded very un-yogic and didnd’t fit at all to the general meaning of the word „Yogi“…)

Mr Mahesh had wanted – until about 1976 – that all over the world there should have been five organizations for spreading TM; he somehow liked that idea: “5 senses,5 organs of action, 5 TM-organizations“.

P.H. has founded a 6’th organization, his own organization, in Germany.
That organization had been different. P. H. selected the people who had been allowed to use it.
A young Dr. of philosophy had been P. H.’s man in Munich.
That Dr. said to me once (in the context of a weekend-TM-Course at Kössen a very few years later): “I have been a convinced communist until I started TM”.
The German expression for “until” is „bis“ and that word has two meanings in German language;
1. It can just mean „until“ (a preposition of time)
2. It can mean “I was so convinced to even to do such a ugly thing as to learn TM and to disguise myself as a TM-teacher” as well.

All that I remembered when I had listend to that speech of Mr Mahesh about the ethiopian communcistic revolution in spring 1976.
Aha, may be they had disguised themselves as TM-teachers to be able to get into other countries and to be able to communicate with each other in a hidden manner for the sake of managing those revolutions.
By the time the Soviet Union had come to its end, communisme in Ethiopia came to its end, too.
Somehow that would fit very well to what Mr Yuri Bezmenov has been talking about.

I left the TM-movement rather abruptly in summer 1976.
I didn’t talk about it much.
In the TM-movement there had started that rumour that CIA had got interested in the TM-movement. Of course the rumour had been that there results had been very positive and not at all ending up in doubting TM as such, doubting the usefulness of that spreading TM, etc. Just rumour in favour of the TM-movement.
Being a German I didn’t see any necessity to approach them from my own.

I thought that such things might be something for the CIA (not that club who had been commiting torturing, kidnapping, etc)
I sometime mentioned those facts when talking to German state officials and I was rather astonished that the German state authorities hadn’t been very interested in it at all.

Of course I don’t join Mr Brezmenows idea that all those who
have been practisting TM, Yoga etc are fools. Freedom can yield
unexpected effects. Those attempts to have somehow tried to
calculate emotions, etc to turn free human beings to willing
followers of the stupid atheistic theories of Mr. Lenin and others
might very unexpectedly turn out to have caused very different
effects. After all it are the Soviet Union and KGB that ended in the
1980th.

The German Magazine „Spiegel“ reported in there frist edition in
January 2000 that Sigmund Freud had attempted to destroy „religious
devoutness“ by means of his psychic methods. Spiegel reported that
somehow the opposite had taken place.
Sigmund Freud had taught that one could say in general that
„religious devoutness“ would be a sort of sickness that he had
called „Kollektive Zwangsneurose“.

Sigmund Freud and Karl Marx have one thing in common:
The science of statistics and the science of decision taking theory
(including game theory, vector optimization,etc) hadn’t been
properly invented, yet.

Sir Isaac Newton had been in a similar situation. But he invented
that required „Calculus“ properly by himself.

Sigmund Freud and Karl Marx had expressed there fanciful ideas
and the tools to seriously check those „theories“ themselves
had neither been available nor had they invented those required
mathematical skills properly.

Part V)
========
Has it been really of such urgent need what Mr Mahesh Prasad had done by means
of his having had spread TM?

I was very astonished when in early May 1973 Mr Mahesh „made“ TM-teachers by
means of microphone and earphone. Any teacher is supposed to be able to talk
to about 40 pupils (who aren’t very silent often) in a classroom without microphone, amplifier, etc; they – at groundschool – are required to teach for about 4-5 hours a day. That shows that Mr. Mahesh really should have been able
to pass on those „such precious mantras“ in about 2-3 days to those about 1000
course participants (50 silent adults at a time; ½ hour per initiation,
5 hours a day; that results in 500 participants per day and thus 2-3 days should have been enough in favour of a rather comfortable and fitting manner.
Assembling with only 250 persons (they had been in need of enough room to perform puja) would have ended up in about 4-6 days. 1 week should really
have been enough to do it properly and in acordance to what he had been
claiming for: „personal instruction“.

Thus Mr. Mahesh has expressed that Mantras might be passed on by means of earphone,microphone and amplifier as well.

One of his speacial TM-teachers (for advanced techniques), Mrs. Eickhoff once
passed on Mantras via earphone and microphone, too.
She sat at a distance of about 5 meters to those whom she initiated;She used to
assemble not more than about 5 people around her. Individually she then passed
on the mantras via earphone and microphone and the amplifier had been such that
all who sat there could here the mantras which she has passend on to the others,
too. (She had spoken such loud, too).
What a scene of ridiculousness!

TM-Puja had been taught to those about 1000 course particpants at Playa la Antilla, Spain by means of audio.tape, video-tape, amplifier, earphone (those groups of up to more than 100 people who had been in need of translations, for instance the German language group) , etc.
All the so called „knowledge“ had been taught by such electronic means.
The course had been designed – from the point of view of teaching (…I don’t criticize him … – by Mr. Max Flissure (UK).

What are the conclusions?

A few years later one might have comfortably trained all those initiators at less costs via internet-phone from a place in India!
Thus it had been up to the Shankaracharya Tradition itself to do such a thing
in case they would have thought it to be usefull.
As special effect of such a line of thought, one comes to the result that
noone would have ever had a legal reason to go into other countries
on the basis of some lame excuse like wanting to teach TM there.

A rather few 10 years ahead one might have taught that automaticized
TM-teaching by means of Roboters in a much more reliable, cheaper and
not worse manner.

If one might pass on mantas by means of electronics, why shouldn’t roboters be
allowed to do that puja, select the mantra on the basis of a properly handled fillout, do TM-checking by means of voice-recognition, etc?

No sexual proplems like the theme in „Sexy Sadie“, the report of that lady in „David wants to fly“, etc.
No problems with wrongly selceted mantras as have been happening in the case of those human initiators.
No problems with TM-iniators who have violated – because of their eagerness to initiate, their eagerness for money, etc – ,the principle that no-one of minor
age must be iniated without written permission of their parents.
(…No problems with youngster who might have falsified such a written permission because the roboter would have kept his data very well, either…)

And above all that might have been done by a well-trained secretary of the
Shankacharacharya of the North who might have had some training as physisist
(…B.A. etc) some additional training on the basis of that B.A. in electronics and software-ingeneering, etc. – or that person might have learnt that addionally required needs by his own as many other physistism etc have done throughout the world…): Other people qho have been ready to serve a Shankacharya for such a thing might have lived in India, too.
And it might have been done on the basis of a decision made by the Shankaracharyaof the North or the 4 Shankaracharyas (….or – may be – the chief of the Swami Krishnanda Trust…):

Of course humans might start to memorize all what those roboters could do
and they might be able to do it in a responsable manner themselves a few years later. Such learning wouldn’t be a nonsense because some day roboters might exist no longer (for instance if the technical civilization had destroyed itself, certain resources had run out, humans had lost interest in all that poluting, cruel, crude technical stuff…)

This altogether shows that the activities of Mr. Mahesh Prassad might have
been not in accordance with true knowledge about mantras , not in accordance with true knowledge about „handing down knowledge about proper mediation, etc“
or too.
another possible conclusion were that Mr.. Mahesh had been caught up in something like excessive desire for action
or too,
Mr Mahesh had seen a „no“ in his „yes“; „yes“ because it had been He
who had walked to South-India and it had been He who hadn’t prepared his
journey well by means as reliable as a well-done tourist guide, etc.

By means of such a roboterized spreading of that „TM“ probably by now much more people would have learnt to practise such a TM in a benefiting manner.
And in case those who had thus started would find themselves ending up in
a good growth of yogic ideals, no longer wanting to kill, to injure, to hurt,
to polute themselves and the environment, etc they would know: „I have started
that on my own“.
And in case some govermnent would decide that before the
roboter can start there must be a hint that such a growth in yogic abilities, yogic virtues might be a result – of regular practice of that TM – that it might result in problems with one’s family, one’s society, jobs, professions, etc (….jobs which are in opposition to a life in accordance with non-violance, not-killing, brahmcharya, etc …) then a roboter wouldn’t mind and „patiently“ it
would first pass on that information and would require a „yes, ok“ before it
would continue and start the iniating process.

(…Mr. Mahesh once has talked about Patanajali and those eight steps to yoga.
Mr. Mahesh has said that the proper understanding would be that it wouldn’t be
eight steps to yoga but eight limbs of yoga.
Mr. Mahesh has said that it were like a table with eight legs
and if one pulls one leg all the other would come along.
Thus he has said that by means of daily practising that momentary samadhi
by means of TM „Ahimsa“,“Aparigraha“, bramcharya“, „yama“…. etc would come – in a automatic, causal manner – along, too.
Yet, that might result in a loss of job if someone had been practising cutting the trees, killing animals, destroying gardens for the sake of making new constructions, etc.
Thus such a hint that those growing yogic virtues might cause conflicts
in day-to-day life would have been very useful and necessary right from the
beginning of the teaching.
As a matter of fact Mr. Mahesh hadn’t known that when he had started to teach.
Mr. Mahesh used to say that „all that knowledge would have come up one-by-one because people had been asking questions, etc“; it’s obvious on the basis of
his own words that he hadn’t that insight when he had started to teach.
This shows once more that he had been no trained teacher.
For being prepared to teach someone would have to know all that in advance
and he/she would have to tell the „pupils“ all that honestly before he/she
initiates anyone:

It’s obvious that it would be of practical use if one knows ahead that one
starts to go for the growth of yogic virtues such as „non-violence, not-killing.
Etc“.

It’s obvious that a human being with its 50 to 90 kg of weight in average
and its maximimum speed of 9.7 seconds to something like 20 seconds per 100
meters, etc, his average intellegence, memory and thoughtfulness cannot kill an elephant, cow, rhino, any sheep, goat, lion, tiger, etc by mere chance at all because those animals usually keep enough
distance on their own and because they are tall and strong enough. Similar statments hold true for fish, shark, etc because they just have a different place where they live.
It hold’s true for birds because they usually live up in the trees and they are
very alert and ususally fly away in time when a human comes along with its
maximum velocity of running in an even non-precautious manner.
Its interesting that it’s hard to catch even a small fly if one wants to bring it out of one’s dangerous living room in a loving manner into the world of flowers, plants etc.
Thus creation itself is such that human beings are able to live without killing
other creatures to a certain very comprehensive and great extent.
Of course one might kill an ant etc by mere chance, that might happen; this
world is as it is. But with a little bit of good will one can get to know
at least some „streets of the ants“ and one might take a larger step accros
such a street instead of stepping right into it.
In addition there are certain very small and very dangerous animals, too
(Poison) and thus the human beeings are in need of being cautious anyway.

On the other hand humans are intelligent enough to live in such a precautious,
thoughfull maner that lions, tigers, etc won’t happen/be able to kill or injure
them at all; that holds true in the case of all dangerous – even very small ones – animals, too.

Human beings might practise the natural means of birth control and thus
overpopulation can be avoided in a simple manner, too. Of course that gets supported in a decisive manner by the principle of independence (-> statistics)
and at least in that sense by the principle of freedom.

This shows that no new land for farming would be necessary at all.

If the human beings would decide to live from those fields which exists already then all primeval forests, trees, bushes etc could be protected without any exception from now on.

In addition it’s common sophisticated knowledge that human beings can live
in a good vegetarian manner, too.

If one makes a hilly field out of of a flat field then the surface would get increased and thus – to a certain extent – one would be able to start to give back land to nature, to the re-growth of primeval forests, etc

Of course it would be good for creation if human beings would live a better way of life and they really should live as good as they could which can’t be difficult at all in that obvious very natural manner.
It is deviation from that natural good way of life that requires effort resulting in stress, danger, etc.
For certain one wouldn’t do harm to the world and thus a creator of that world;
one would at least do justice to one’s natural ability to live a good way of life.

I don’t reject the growth of yogic virtues at all.

But one should tell the beginners of something like TM ahead that that might
(or may be even is the planful goal of it anyway) be a result of such a practise of TM, etc.
If someone knows ahead then he/she thinks about how he will be able to make his living amidst his society when he goes for growth of yogic virtues.
He/she might search for a new job, further qualifying or even new profession in time and he/she would know ahead that he/she won’t have much chances as long as he/she has no other profession.

That is why I criticized that Mr Mahesh hasn’t talked about the growth of yogic virtues ahead.

Mr. Mahesh had taught to teach TM by means of SRM, SIMS, etc
and all the initiators had to sign that they wouldn’t initiate on their own.
Yet, suddenly, Mr. Mahesh dissolved SRM, SIMS etc and the iniators got tried to
be forced to sign the „laws“ of a completley new organization.
A few years later a new organization. (…Such a way of organizing had nothing to do with scientificness like a good university.
In case of an university one has to do justice to one’s subject and one doesn’t
get bound to the specific university….)

Thus it used to end in „nothingness“.

When Mr. Mahesh said some day by means of that international press conference (had been weekly on wednesday round about 5 p.m.) „I damn the democracy“, etc
then this shows again that he even wanted all to end up in „nothingess“.
And it was Mr. Mahesh who explained by means of his appendix to his commentary
of the Bhagavad Gita (pinguin paper back): „MAYA is that which is not“.
Thus it seems to have started due to Mr Mahesh’s not handling the theme of Maya
properly (not deciding in accordance with the advice of that elderly sadhu)
and it seems to have been designed to end in MAYA due to Mr. Mahesh’s ignorance about „independence“,„freedom“, the desire for a „free democratic world“, etc.

One thing has to be noted here:
Those secretaries of Mr.Mahesh who had seleceted that US-journalists question
„Maharishi, what do you think about democracy“ had been given – as matter of fact – the choice to select my question:
„Mr Mahesh, did you know those days at South India that shaking the head might
be understood as yes? Might it have been that just some misunderstanding
had happend and that it hadn’t do with the will of God,gods at all but it had only to due with „not-knodwing“ and thus „something that was/is not“?

His „followers“ prefered to keep on bothering Mr. Mahesh Prassad with
all those difficult questions (has a sadhu been able to answer questions about democracy, last will, etc in case he/she just lives a real good reculse way of life?) and Mr. Mahesh reacted in that manner „I damn – that – democracy“ and
may-be he meant „I damn that stupid sort of handling freedom of yours; all the
time you talk about freedom; I have told you freely what had happend in South India those days and that I never have wanted to teach. Why dind’t you
respect it? Why did you keep on organizing as big huge lectures, meetings
etc as to a limit that I would feel obliged to go there on my own?
Why dind’t you just think in terms of your „concept of freedom“? No
„He has said that he never wanted to teach: Ok I respect that, adios Mr.Mahesh,
..Oh, may I help you to get out of your problems, may I bring you back to the
valley of the Ganges, to Uttar Kashi?“ has come: The only things that have come
were „trying to make money out of it“, „trying to make him a star“, etc.

Thus in case that had been the first time that Mr. Mahesh had said that
nonsense then it has been the mistake of his secreatries like Dr Haegelin, etc;
they had keept on bothering Him one time to much!

It’s not my fault: I had informed Mr Mahesh about that understanding by means of a question a few years before his death and I had even offered Him to pay for a travel back to Uttar Kashi!

Part VI) This and That, remarks
========

Mantras:
——–
50% of the mantras that Mr Mahesh has used were classical mantras, knowable from the ancient scriptures according to an interview with one Shankaracharya. The rest of those so-called “mantras” were more or less freely invented by Mr. Mahesh. “Mantra” is a different theme and I’ll comment on that later.

Of course one can read something and one can make something useful out of it; yet, unfortunately, sometimes bad things are made out of information here and there. Mr Mahesh’s teaching activities caused both: Positive effects, but more or less harmful effects have resulted here and there, too.

Looking for the answers at the Shankaracharya of the North:
————————————————————

As a conclusion of my report, someone might think that it would be a good idea to go to the Shankaracharya of the North instead of continueing to search for such knowledge in the “TM-movement”. That might sound rather logical. Yet there’s one very servere problem:
In the magazine “Alpinwelt” of the German Mountain Club – for instance – one once could read that “Sickness of Height” might occur even at a height not higher than 3000 meters. The seat of teaching where a Shankaracharya of the North is used to stay during summer time is at Badrinath temple and that temple lays at a height of more than 3000 meters. Thus it cannot be useful in general to go there at all.
Mr Mahesh has made many people eager for such knowledge; yet he couldn’t even tell them a safe path to fulfill that thurst for such knowledge.

The Beatles’ „Sexy Sadie“
————————-
If it had been all due to that misunderstanding then one would see that Mr Mahesh used to laugh with one eye and at the same time he cried with the other one. The title “sexy sadie” of that song of the Beatles thus looks like having hit the situation of Mr Mahesh rather well. (sadie – from “sad”)
On the one side he had always been very sad about the missed chance for his wanted carreer as a real good celebetarian sadhu and on the other side he had that strange sort of “laughing eye”, too
In the film “David wants to fly” a lady reports about her sexual experiences with Mr Mahesh by the way. Thus the Beatles’ hint at even un-celebetarian sexual activities of Mr Mahesh (-> the Beatles Bible, Internet) got supported by that witness a few 10 years later . (That sort of documentary had been in the cinemas, too) and from there “sexy” Sadie.

Mr Mahesh and his two professions:
———————————–
Mr Mahesh Prassad had something like a B.A. in physics and
due to his time with the Shankaracharya of the North Swami Brahmanda Saraswati he had become an experienced private assistant of a Shankaracharya, too.

Thus Swami Brahmanda Saraswati had improved the social stability of Mr.Mahesh.
He could still have worked as something like a teacher of pyhsics and
he might have worked as secreatry at a Seat of a Shankacharya, too.

When Swami Brahmanda Saraswati had died all of a sudden Swami Shantanand would have really been in an urgent need of a well-experience secreatary. Thus I wonder why Mr Mahesh didn’t want to apply what he had learnt practically during his times as the secretary of the Shankaracharya of the North Swami Brahmanda Saraswati. Why didn’t Mr. Mahesh serve Shankaracharya Shantanand as a very experienced and well-trained personal assistant ? As a matter of fact Mr Mahesh did exactly that what he hadn’t been trainend for at all. That’s really very strange.

Instead of making use of one of his professions he now – it seems like that – tried to go for becoming a „real“ sadhu, he tried for a recluse-way of life.
Yet the later facts of his life show that he didn’t succeed in that at all.
As a secreatry of Swami Brahmanda Saraswati he certainly had to do quite a lot
of work but he obviously had time to listen to the lectures of teh Shankaracharya etc.
In the context of the TM-movement he then had much less time for his own meditations, etc. He complained once that if those TM-people would keep on bothering him until 4 in the morning they wouldn’t have him for very long.
And what he lived had nothing to do with a sadhu-way of life in the sense of what Swami Brahmanda Saraswati had been living according to the narrations of Mr. Mahesh.

His efforts to bring physics and Indian philosopy together had been rather
poor. What a nonsense to apply physical laws like „Meisner Effect“ to that 1%effect“-study, etc!
That appendix in his commentary to the Bhagavad Gita that deals with
Vaisheshika seems to me rather useful and helpful.

His efforts to organize his TM-activities had been rather strange, too:
First he wanted SRM. Then he added SIMS, etc (5 organizations), then came something else all of a sudden; in between he created a political party
„naturall law party“ and finally he ended up in a sort of strangeness:
It might be similar to that Salvation Army that calls itself an army.
Likewise that „monarchy“ might understand itself as a Salvation Monarchy.
But that would be the best case. Mr Mahesh had founded those 1% parties
before, he – at least – twice said something like „I damn the democracy“
and in the context of USA he said something like „the sooner the free democratic system of the USA is off the better“, etc.
Thus it’s very doubtable that they understand themselves as something like Salvation Monarchy.

TM and TM-experiences:
———————-
If one has learnt TM and got to that experience of transcending, momentary samadhi may be even – fine, one might have experienced it repeatedly or not. Fine, one might have been able to objectively think about it even in terms of the Bernoulli Law of big numbers after a few thousand times of having had practised it (..thus not necessarily in need of the knowledge about the special fitting statistical distribution..).
If someone has taught TM to 100 persons and 99 persons got succesfully to that transending then one might say something like: “Ok. if I do further 100 initiations in that same manner it’ll be alright to expect with a probabilty of 95% that I’ll be sucessful in about 95 cases”.
(Regarding “Statisics”, look “Ingenieur-Statistik,Prof. Dr. Josef Heinhold,Oldenbourg-Verlag for instance.)

In hat sense TM had been called to be scientific and that had been rather
accepted all over the world..

What does that tell, too?
One had been a non-enlightened TM-teacher and let’s assume that the teaching had worked well.
Why then should it be necessary to assume or ever to should have ever had to assume that Mr. Mahesh had been or would have had to be enlightened only because he had been able to teach transcending successfully to a certain amount of people?
Hadn’t one be able to do so by onself as a non-enligthened being as well?

The “transcending” is the one thing; mantra were a different thing anyway, Mr Mahesh used to say, “mantra” were just like a vehicle; it has some additional advantage but one might transcend via tasting, smelling, etc, too. He once said to TM-teachers at Arosa/Switzerland, Hotel Prätschli, about 1974 that they were supposed to be the specialists in transcending and that they should be able to transcend via tasting, too – for instance, he then explained in some details how one might do that; that’s really simple.

Changes in the TM-teaching as such:
—————————————————-

But he had been teaching: “We practise it alone; only couples might practise it together.”
And those who had been at the course at Kössen/Austria in atumn 1971 can know one example of reported experience of a full-aged TM-practioneer why that’s very necessary.
Thus all those big huge mass-TM-sittings of these days cannot be appreciated by me; no-one can expect me to do so.
At Kössen Mr. Mahesh hadn’t replied to that man: “Then you must have made some mistake in your meditation; TM is for transcending, it’s for reducing even the mental activities.” or some similar sentence. He had misleadingly answered “So it’s alright”; may be he didn’t want to say anything and thus said something that shouldn’t mean anything.
But that reported TM-experience remains as a matter of fact.

They even try for a “super-radiance-effect” these days:
They should really only apply those vibrations onto their own; in other words “apply your vibrator to yourself!”
If one asks God to help someone – Fine it remains the affair of God whether he does it or not and it’ll be God’s affair (….or gods’ affair….) if that person would not want to be helped by God, etc.
If one sits to produce “thrills”, “vibrations”, “waves” etc then there won’t be God necessarily in between the producer and the influenced ones and that wouldn’t be ok at all.
See one practises TM and , let’s assume, experiences deep rest, relaxation, restful alerntness, transcending, “turya”, momentary samadhi.
Ok, all that the individal can experience in the context of proper meditation, he/she might experience it repeatedly, regularily – fine. Such statements would thus be verifyable by ordinary humans. That had been that basic teaching until about 1975/1976. (Something like “TM is the practical aspect of the sicence of creative intelligence; it gives the experience” is said in those SCI-courses
Now, one thing has been part of the TM-practice: “The contents of thought – if any come at all – have no importance”.
Thus it is absoluteley impossible to verify a statement like “if 1% of a city population practise TM then the crime rate will go down”, etc. Such a statement just can’t be verified by TM-practise and everyone who ever has learnt TM knows that very well. Such a statement might be taken care of by profesional mathematicians who got experts in the field of statistics. It can’t be dealt in a reasonable manner by the vast majority of the humans. That is why it had been nonsense to ever had tried to make use of that 1%-study in the context of spreading TM etc.
It would have been better (-> decision taking theory) to look at the 1%-study as a sort of “expressed asumption of innocence”,”highly academic thoughts of some statistician” or some such thing.
Yet somehow Mr. Mahesh got crazy and made a sort of “believe” out of it. Thus he suddenly started to violate his statements like “it’s all scientific” , “anyone can verify it by himself”, “one practises it for oneself”, “only couples might practise TM together”.

A severe problem in the context of Mr Mahesh’s teaching/saying activities has been that he didn’t quote properly.
That story about “Waking, dreaming,sleeping and there were/is a fourth state of consiousness” can be found in those “Shiva Suktas” (->turya), written long before Mr. Prassad.
The “Yoga Vasishta” has been talking about an “absolute consciousness” that’s at the beginning and end of this whole world. Thus Mr Mahesh’s theme of “pure consiousness” has a further source there, too.
Very badly done – in that respect – is his “new translation on the Bhagavad Gita” which had been done by taking all available translations and only in case none could please Mr Mahesh then Mr Vernon Kaatz made a new translation until Mr Mahesh had been satisfied. Only in a few cases a real new translation of some verse had been done, according to Mr. Mahesh’s own lecture about that.
Why didn’t he quote poperperly? Only the commentary seems to have been really very much done by himself.
As a physist (B.A. or diploma doesn’t matter) Mr. Mahesh should really have known that he would have had to quote properly.
Ok, may be one can look at it as a sort of collage; but then all such things aren’t contributions to Science but pieces of Art. May be, more or less useful pieces got into those collages, may be certain really true and meaningful phrases got into it – may be.
May be those meaningful pieces are like maps of a treasure and those who might read those maps might get to that treasure – may be, may be.

(By the way, that story from Mr. Duke Elington I wrote about is to be found at Baedeker,6th edition, 2009, page 157
The head line is “further source of misunderstandings”).

“Saraswati Stotra translated by Sir Arthur Avalon” is an interesting text (especially if one compares the mentioned mantras with those that are found in the internet and which are said do to be “TM-mantras” there) and in such texts one finds expressed those general teachings of Mr Mahesh in short, too.
Sometimes such texts state that the one or the other mantras are used by those gods themselves (“is thy favourite mantra”) and thus using them cannot mean necessarily to worship any Hindu-God or Hindu Godesss.
That makes it escpecially interesting.

For instance:
>>HRIM, HRIM
3 is Thy most pleasing bija,
4 O Thou whose moon-like
5 beauty is heightened <>
AIM, AIM
5 is Thy favourite mantra,
Thou who art both form and formlessness,
6 Who art the wealth of the lotus face of the lotus-born,
7 Embodiment of all gunas,
8 yet devoid of attributes,
9 Changeless, and neither gross nor subtle.
<>Sir John George Woodroffe (1865–1936), also known by his pseudonym Arthur Avalon, was a British Orientalist whose work helped to unleash in the West a deep and wide interest in Hindu philosophy and Yogic practices.<>AING, AING
my dearest mantra
thou art form and formless<<
….

Thus I have come to the conclusion that TM is a „tantric meditation“ practise
and that explains rather well why Mr Mahesh Prassad Varma had made that rule:
„Those of minor age musn't be initiated without written permission of their parents at all!“, „Only couples may practise TM together“, „practise it at home in your own private room“, etc.

Of course even Shri Aurobindo once said that „tantra“ were a really great and important thing but that it would have been very badly misunderstood.
It's obvious that TM hasn't anything in common with those „sex-practises“
as they are known from those who „teach tantra“ here and there these days.

Kundalini and TM:
==================

Mr. Mahesh once has been asked by a young lady from USA (according to her slang) about Kundalini; she reported to have some Kundalini-experiences.
Mr Mahesh asked the audience (about 1973 to 1974, Arosa, Siwtzerland) „who else has that experience“ and quite a lot have raised their hands. Finally Mr Mahesh asked: „who has that experience of Kundalini flowing all through up to the top of the head?“. A few have raised their hands still; he then has shouted rather angrily: „Raise your hands!“ A few more have raised their hands; it were about 2o persons.
Interesting in that context is that in Germany psychiatrists have called
„Kundalini-Experience“ mental sickness and they have done that even in the context of compulsary medical treatment ( At least in that case it hadn't been anything else but torture, persuation, etc).
Thus all those people from India who take into account to go to Germany for
work should be well informed:
If they practise Yoga for a better life as did for instance Gopi Krishna
(→ his book „Kundalini“, German translation published by O.W. Barth Verlag)
and if they happen to awaken Kundalini then they might be thrown into psychiatry compulsarily and they might be persuaded because of that. Even if Kundalini
doesn't prevent them from doing a good enough job well, even if Kundalini and their way of life together with – for instance – „TM“ had improved their „eyes“ ( -5,5 instead of at least -8.0 not more than 4 years before, etc!)they might be prevented from further employment in their profession (…according to their high educatedness, professionality, qulification…) for the rest of their lifes; at least one such case has happened in Germany!
Now the question is how could the state authorities have got to know about who has Kundalini experience and who not?
They might have had their spies in such meetings in which Mr Mahesh had been
asked such questions and in which Mr Mahesh had – uncautionously – re-asked
and even re-asked in that „rather shouting manner“ as he had done those days in Switzerland.

Final part: about such a sort of teaching:
===========

Let's aussume some professor of, let's say, mathematics has decided to write a book about some subject of mathematics.
His long year secretary has offered him to do the typewriting.
That long year secretary might have been someone who had studied a few years
of mathematics even but may be he/she hasn't been able to finish that
study.

Now isn't it strange if suddenly that secretary starts to give lectures
on the basis of that book?
Wouldn't it be rather strange if some student of that subject wouldn't go
to the professor in charge of that seat of learning at that present time
but would to go to that man who had been the secretary of that professor who had once written that book?

Now, of course it might be the that such a former secretary serves as
a private tutor (the german word would be „Nachhilfelehrer“).
Fine that might very well be and it might be for good if done in a serious manner.
Of course even professors at the university happen to make mistakes here
and there sometimes and even in books of mathematics one can find sometimes
some mistakes in the context of a proof, example etc.
Thus one mustn't judge about mistakes done by such a private
tutor in a stricter manner.

As long as a private tutor really has a suiting competence such „sort of teaching acitivities“ shouldn't be a real problem (…especially in the case that that student goes to a real professor, too and doesn't just go to his private tutor…..)

If a student uses good literature from different qualified specialists in addition smaller mistakes here and there should really be managed sucessfully
by such a student.
A good compentent private tutor might really be a good help.

In that sense something like that teaching activities of Mr. Mahesh Prassad
might be understood properly.
Just as there are organizations that organize private tutors there might
be an organization that handles those „TM-teachers“. Why not?

I don't want to judge about that teaching about transcending, the used
mantras, etc.
But just as such a student with a private tutor usually handles that situation I think that it's very necessary and one's good right to make use of one's freedom and to inform oneself about the original professor, the author of that assumed „book“ and – above all – to listen to the lectures of the true orderly
professors and the one who is holding that seat of teaching at the present.

A „private tutor“ is a suplementary someone and neither less nor more.

After all it's up to the single indiviuals if they decide to go for a private
tutor.

If a private tutor has proper insurance in case of severe mistakes in the
context of his teaching activities the risk might be little.
If the private tutor hasn't any insurance and no insurance company agrees
in insuring that private tutor then the risk would certainly be rather high.

See it's the same problem as in case of „mountain guides“. Many people who have been walking up the mountains have thought themselves to be able to guide
others into the realm of the mountains some day..
As a matter of fact that might end with sudden death.
Even the problem of sickness of height isn't known to many of those
„private tutors“, those private sort of „mountain guides“.

Once one understood the dangers at a height more then 3000 m, one's readiness
to follow a not well trained private tutor will have become at least very little.
Mr. Reinhold Mesner used to say something like: „the world of high mountains starts at a height of more than 2500 meters and ordinary people shouldn't really go there on their own“.

I wish you all good,
adios

Appendix:
=======

Looking at the Yogavasishta and its teaching about Samsara one can notice
the following aspects:

A German politician, Mr Gregor Gysi, once said in an interview that he is
convinced that God/gods cannot exist because there is suffering in the world.
His line of reasoning has been: „If God might exist He/She/They would have made
an end to suffering of course at once“.

The Yogavasishata explains that this world were „SAMSARA“.
Western psychiatrists, scientists and also the Bible accept the phenomenon
of dream. Scientists are convinced that dogs – for instance – dream, too.
There is a movie with a sleeping dog whose legs suddenly make movements
as if he were running and the same time he starts to try to catch something – that in reality doesn't exist at all – by means of his mouth.

If everything that can happen in this „real“ world might happen also in the world of dreams then it's a simple logical and rather obvious conclusion that this „real“ world might be nothing else but a dreamy world.
Thus in reality one would be in some real world and there one had fallen
asleep and had started to dream; thus „this“ life in this world would be that
dream.

If one would die in this world one would – in reality – wake up in the real
world.
And the real world might very well be such that it's not possible to violate
any other creature, that world etc at all – because it might be done like that.
(Like tigers or lions in a well done zoo – they cannot injure or kill anyone
there and yet they get everything that they need for life.).

Because the suffering in this world thus wouldn't be “real“ and God/gods would
know that this „real“ world here is nothing but a dreamy world and all that suffering isn't anything but a sort of bad dreams God/the gods wouldn't have
to do anything at all against suffering.
Thus the conclusion is that God/the gods might exist very well and that they are free and they don't have to do anything like what that politician Gregor Gysi had stated; they aren't something like slaves of some humans.
Similarily enligtend angels, demon Bali, the immortal bird Busunda, etc might exist, too.
Of course there is no reason why God/gods,… might not be able to influence
happenings in this world; God/gods etc might help some in this world and
God/gods might help this world as a whole, too.
Someone has a bad dream and someone who is awake speeks soothing words and the badness of the dream usually stops and often the one who has been sleeping didn't even wake up.

Similarily it's obvious that something like a „Law of Karma“ might also exist.
As long as someone is still dreaming of killing, sexual violence, destroying the
primeval forests or as long as someone is still finding lines of reason
for killing, to which he/she/it has been clinching on he/she/it will have
less joy in the real world; his radius for activities will be less there.

Thus it's the logical conclusion that from that statement „this world might be a sort of dream“ it would be wrong to conclude that one might do whatever one just would want to do.

Conceiving of the possibility that this world might be „SAMSARA“ a sort of dreamy world it's also the mere logical conclusion that there might be birth and
rebirth.
That's simple because „death“ in the SAMSARA-world would be nothing but waking
up in the real world.
One simple conclusion from this were that death penalty doesn't make sense
at all. Why? See of to some bad one would apply death penality then He/She
might return next day again. Next day would result in the fact that he/She hadn't learnt anything new, etc. On the other hand He/She would have got a
new DNA, new identity, etc and thus a new chance for his/her eveil doings in
this world of SAMSARA.

All four points (this world might be SAMSARA, God/gods,..might exist, a law of Karma might exist, too; there might be Birth and Rebirth) show that
the evil in this world of SAMSARA might be overcome by knowledge.
This SAMSARA world be in need of what sort of knowledge?
The knowledge about something that lays beyond waking, dreaming and sleeping.
(…The Shivasuktas eleborate on that, too and state that there is in addition „Turyia“, a fourth state beyond waking, dreaming and sleeping…).
How to get to Turyia? That's the field of proper meditation.
Turyia has to do with knowledge.

And thus the Yogavasishta started with the statement that Rama's problems
wouldn't be a sickness but the result of lack of knowledge.
This shows that knowledge mustn't be denied. There might be a Law of Karma and
that is why one musn't do what one just desires to do.
Because this world might just be SAMSARA one might be in need of knowledge and thus one musn't deny or even fight „knowledge“.
Ny means of torturing animals, plants, nature, rivers etc one cannot expect to ever gain true, reliable knowledge.
As long as someone thinks that by means of causing suffering to others he/she
might get out of his own suffering, problems, etc he/she clinches on to suffering and thus just cannot get rid of it at all.

The Yogavsishta's starting point shows – as well as the starting point of the Bhagavad Gita – that a good teacher teaches the knowldge contained in the
Yogavasishta first.
It's obvious that it's nonsense to start even to teach without having been
able to teach properly the knowledge contained in the Yogavasishta.

What had been the basic mikstake of Rama, the Pandavas?
They had a very bad strategy. They had been blindly relying on God/gods and that
He/She/they would for certain take care of them and thus that something might be the will of God/gods or the strong advise of some enlightend being, etc.
The Pandavas had taken part in that gambling and Druyodhana had organized that gambling. Both had been lacking a well-done strategegy; both strategies had
been equally bad and inacceptable.
One musn't just take the risk to loose one's wellbeing, one's freedom, etc and one mustn't risk that others loose their wellbeing, their freedom, etc.
This shows that also from the western point of „decision taking theory“, „game theory“, „vector optimization“, etc, one comes to the same insight that they
had been lacking some very important knowledge.

Conceiving of this one comes to the result:
Violating this world, killing, etc cannot be a good strategy at all.
It's obvious that mankind has the ability to live in a safe, good vegeterian
manner, etc (I have explained that already; of course a lion that just wanted to play with a human might injure that human very severely by mere chance; it's because that lion is heavier, etc – one mustn't mix it up,
by the way the TV-channel „ZDF“ once reported that lions use to nourish themselves for about 50% by means of naturally having died animals anyway; it's only difficult to film that. Recently a TV-movie has shown a flock of 100 000's of Karibus together and a wolf has tried to get one to kill it; the wolf has tried very hard and over and over again he has started to run after them and one of it; finally he has been exhausted. Obviously „20 years of lifespan totgether with 365 days a year and 100 000 Karibus together“ results in a certain amount of naturally dying Karibus every day – there will be a certain statistical disribution- ; thus its a matter of waiting, feasting some days, not over-exhausting oneself to be able to feast some days etc and balance in the populations of the different species. There are those animals who can nourish temselves vegetarianly and also in that other way. In case too many natural died animals would ly around those would be able to „help“…
Better and more easy than to kill the snow-leopards, those admirable animals
would for certain be if some realized yogi who feels his end coming very soon
takes a last walk of pilgrimage up to the snowy world of the snow leopards,
he/she takes along with Him/her some natural having died animals that he/she
might happen to have found while taking that last walk.
Then he feeds some coming snowleopard, makes friends with him, shares his last
warmth of his body with him, protects him a little bit from the cold winds by means of his something like 8okg, something like 1,80 meters of length,etc and finally after his Mahasamdhi has given some additional food to his last, very intelligent, very beautiful, may-be even fully realized yogic and lovingly friend of this world of SAMSARA.
That would be a rather comprehensive theme….); that's one of mankind's possibilities for a strategically well-done way of life.
Worse than that cannot be a useful strategy at all.

There is that certain „as good as poosible“ in addition that „good enough“.
Buddha has said once (it is said that) that too much of askese would cause
more damage than it might yield advantages.

In that sense such a lifestyle can very well conceived of and be understood as a strategical something as well.

Let's think of a young man who is very intelligent according to his very good marks at school.
He has majored in that rejection of those cruel animal experiments.
His knowledge about chemistry and those tables (…containing reliable information about how much of vitamins, proteins, fat, energy, etc are contained in for instance 100g of corn,rice, bees, apples,oranges are contained….) is such that the protein contained in soya would be the same as the protein contaiend in flesh an thus he is well prepared and ready for a vegetarian way of life.
He is able to read in English and ready to go for understanding Indian philosophical texts properly.
He has a very good chance for a great carreer and without
engaging into those bad actitivities of killing, poluting the environment,
destryong primeval forest, killing trees, etc.
he is still of minor age and thus cannot accuse someone at the court etc.
If someone has added compulsarily TM to that life and nothing else has come out but poverty, getting persuaded by his soiciety and finally also by more or less individals of the TM-movement, etc then it's obvious that something must have been basically wrong in that „TM“-stuff!
Hadn't they promised: „It's all in accordance with day-to-day life. It's like tooth-brushing?“
Has tooth-brushing ever resulted in getting persudaded, loss of even possibility to make a well-enough available good carreer, being prevented from doing one's study with full concentration, etc?
Well-brushed teeth improve the learning ability because those acids in the
mouth cannot bother the body and thus disturb one.

An adult has felt himself persuaded because someone had put up lectures for him, even he had tried to say that he wouldn't want to lecture out of principle.
The result of that adult's acitivities is – among others -that a/some youngster/~s has been/have got persuaded, TM-initiation has been done even so he/she/they had said clearly that they will never get the written permission of their parents and even though the youngster/~s has said clearly and in the mother-tongue of the TM-teacher and his own one „Doesn't matter, I might come in about 2 years; I'm not fond of learning it now at all. I won't get the written permission by my parents either“, advertisment-activities have been organized for that youngster even though he has said „I don't want to do that!“, lecturing has been organized for him even though that youngster hasn't wanted it to be done, etc and by means of all that together his carreer has got destroyed by those adults before the carreer could have started.

If all that happend like that then obviously and undoubtably something very fundamental must have been wrong in those organizations who have dealt with that or even have been founded to serve that adult, for example Mahesh Yogi from India!
It really would have been better if they would have put that adult into a sort of prison – 1 day should have really been enough in that case – for the sake of learning because of his obvious inability to handle the words „yes“ and „no“ in the required manner!