Honestly with Sheila Walsh

Honestly with Sheila Walsh

Where to Start?!?

posted by Sheila Walsh

Do you ever find yourself staring at a to-do list on a Monday morning and wondering where to start? Yesterday morning I was like a deer staring into the headlights of a Mac truck. I had two books to edit, a house that needed cleaning, a pile of laundry that looked like a bed for a horse and a son, still on vacation who wanted to go swimming. If I’m not careful, I can get so overwhelmed that it sends me into a semi-comatose state where I think to myself, “I know what to do, I’ll take a nap.” Now, I have nothing against naps, I am a big fan of naps, but I only got up two hours earlier. So, I took a deep breath, a cup of coffee and I slipped out of the house onto the back patio and sat in my Father’s presence. Psalm 46:10 reads, “Be still and know that I am God.” The Hebrew root of, ‘Be still’ means-Let go! I used to think that verse was encouraging me be still in perfect silence until I attained some mystical knowledge of God. I found that very hard. Now I consciously bring everything I have to do and everyone I love to God and I let go. I let go of the stress of getting it all right or even done on time. I let go of my desire to be perfect and I stay there in the love of God until that joy is greater than anything that needs to get done. I pray that for you today. I don’t know what your to-do list looks like but I pray that it pails in comparison to the awareness of how much you are loved by your heavenly Father.

Sally Diniu

posted August 4, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Thank you for this, Sheila! I really needed it today — for my to-do list and beyond. I printed it out to re-read whenever I need the reminder to “let go.” :-)

Brooke Cooley

posted August 4, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I had an overwhelming experience just the other day and really am trying to let go of it to God so I tried praying and telling God all about what needed to happen and the next day he showed me he had it all under control and it is being taken care of at his time and not this world or my time. Thank you for this blog it really enforces what I have been praying for. And it also lets me know he is working on what use to overwhelm me. Also thank you for another blessing. Nothing is impossible for God.
Love,
Brooke

Kimberly

posted August 4, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Amen Sheila. I need to focus more on the Lord this way. I’m overwhelmed daily upon rising.

Mona

posted August 4, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Thank you for your post Sheila. I felt this way starting a couple of days ago…and it was getting worse and like you said it can send you into a semi-comatose state. We’ve had a lot of company over the summer which has been great, but there are days you just want quiet for a few hours. And at times it has felt that the walls were closing in. I am so greatful that I have a God who totally understands and will take it all on, we just have to let go which can be so hard. Sheila I like your comment about praying and “letting go of all the stress about getting it right and getting it done on time”.
We put way too much pressure on ourselves. The longer I live the more I realize I need to choose joy over “freaking out” over everything, otherwise I’ll never have joy in anything I do.
Thanks for sharing.

Nesha

posted August 5, 2009 at 11:30 am

Thank You! I so needed that reminder today since I am packing for a family beach trip. I felt like I was no where near ready with us leaving tomorrow morning at 6:30 with so much still to do. Let Go! I did just that and I still have a lot to accomplish but my spirit is in a much lighter place now. I even stopped and played a game with my youngest son for half and hour!

Your Name

posted August 5, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! Being a full time working mom and wanting to do it all I can relate! I’m afraid to admit that I get so angry when I am stuck at work with so much other things that I’d reather be doing and things that need done at home. But what gets me most frustrated is the time I am losing with my daughter. I knew when I had her that my husband and I agreed to have me stay home but we had just bought a new house to make fit for her arrival and he hadn’t found steady work yet after moving into Utah. I was able to work part time for a while. Also my job was also something God gave me as a blessing in a very trying time in my life and I have always envisioned retiring here – but is it this important to me any longer? Yes and No. Why do I need to have the best of both worlds?
Now we are in too much debt for me to have the option to quit but are working on that as we speak and will have all but our house paid off in two years as long as we persevere. Why do I have this need to be a stay at home mom so badly yet I was willing to sacrifice the option as I had a need to keep my employment, health insurance, and retirement? I wasn’t a believer back then and so I have accepted that my priorities have truly changed now but that all will be fine and God knows what is in my heart. I am thankful to have the days off I do and that my work is very lenient and understanding.
I am working to ask God to come in this web to attack the spider that made it, only He can save me from it! I want it all! I am very guilty of allowing things like this to get to me so thank you for your post and I will remember just to relax and let God take care of it all.
Have a blessed day,
Tammy

Bonnie

posted August 6, 2009 at 2:39 pm

What a golden nugget from heaven!!! Thank you for sharing!! This will minister to so many of us!!

Julie Kennis

posted August 6, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I really needed to read all of these comments today. I just keep struggling with my depression & taking care of my mom. Somedays I just feel like the walls are closing in on me & I forget to Let Go & Let God. If I could have other women that have commented God in their lives to help me with all of my confusion of every day life. Right now I have been unemployed since Oct. & you know there are days I truly wanted a job & then there are days I feel there is something out there that God wants me to do but he just hasn’t shown me the light yet. So I would appreciate all of the prayers that you women could give me & I need extra prayers from God

Kim Johnson

posted August 6, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Sheila! WOW!! This really hits home so well for me. My favorite scripture is “Be Still and Know that I am GOD!! I stand strong on that as it is the most difficult thing for me to be still and wait on God to help me through all my daily needs. He is so good and never fails. I love your blog and pray God will bless you richly.
Have a gr8 day!! Kim Johnson

Sweet Missy Sue

posted August 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Sheila,
Thank you for bringing to mind the Truth of the Word of God so clearly and applicably. My verse this year has been the exact one, “Be still and know that I am God.” In the NASB version of God’s Word, it says to Cease stiving and know that I am God. I was at the Women of Faith conference and God really told me to do all three….be still…cease striving to be perfect…and let go! I related well to Marilyn Meberg this year b/c I had a lot of layers that needed to be peeled away, like an onion, b/c of past baggage and a particular event that I had never told anyone about b/c of not remembering it until this year’s struggle with my bi-polar/schizoaffective disorder medication adjustment and then switch. Praise God that I now know Him as Al Rapha and finally as Father God. One lie I was believing up until Marilyn spoke on Saturday was that I am not loved. I learned that I am loveable b/c God says so in His Word. With being on a new medication that is finally slowing me down, and with gaining some of the weight back that I thought I may have overcome that struggle, I could get down on myself again for not being perfect…or looking perfect. But the Truth is I am loveable. God didn’t have to love me. He choose me. He loves me. I need to be obedient to His Word and be still and KNOW and also ONLY believe that He is God. Idols vanished and erradicated… replacing them with only living water.
Love your little sister in Christ who has a big to-do list as well :)
Missy Sue

Val Z.

posted August 6, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Praise the Lord Sheila,
I am so blessed by your newsletter and I now I get to read your blog that is so cool. It’s my frist time here so I will read some of your posts now. Thank you for sharing!!!

Mindy Rose

posted August 6, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Hello Sheila,
You have been a great inspiration for me for many years. And even during my years of walking away from God, I could hear one of your songs always in the back of my mind. I needed to read this today. I’ve spent a lot of time worrying and remembering. It reminded me that I shouldn’t worry God has a plan, I may not know what it is, but He has always been faithful even when I wasn’t. He has watched over me when I was doing my own thing. Thank you.

California Girl

posted August 6, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Thanks Sheila…”being still” with the Lord is so important because without it we cannot do the rest of that verse, “I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in all the earth.” And the reality is “exalting the Father” should be the only thing on our to do list. Sheila keep letting God use you to rock the universe!!!

Rachel

posted August 6, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I am amazed at how the Lord continues to bring the words Let Go! up in front of me. Thanks Sheilf for the reminder.
Rachel

Judy

posted August 11, 2009 at 9:44 am

Wow Sheilia: Letting Go is one of the things I really need to work on. In the pasted 6 months my husband lost his job after 19 years, had back surgery and lost we lost his younger brother at the age of 45, passed away on his birthday. And we lost his mother a year ago but we know for one thing sure we will see her in Heaven with a new body. People has asked me how I do it and I just tell them that I know that the Lord will never put anything on me that I can’t handle and I just take one day at a time with the Lord. Letting go has been happening to me in all direction in my life for the pasted 15 years since I lost my mom. I can’t wait until I start reading your book will be soon. I am still reading a book of yours almost done with it. This weekend was wonderful at WOF I look forward of hearing your message every year. Letting Go will be one thing that I will work on for the rest of my life, I know this weekend and your book will be a big part of my life. Thank You Shielia for being you and deciating your life to the Lord.
Judy

JJ

posted August 21, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Hi,
I’ve been experiencing an overwhelming sense of uncertainty and helplessness because of the pressure at work and at home. As a born again Christian, “letting go” is something I know I can and should do, but never really had the chance nor the “guts” to actually do. I am a Filipina, based in the Philippines. I don’t know how it is in the US, but life here is not as easy. I’ve been married for 18 years, have one daughter, and have been the sole breadwinner for most of those years. Until now, my husband is not only jobless, but is also living as if he were a teenager. I can talk about him some other time…
Anyway, I have been feeling very very very tired lately – physically and emotionally. I can relate with Tammy when she said that what gets her most is the time she is losing with her daughter. I can relate to all the others who are working moms and worry about the pile of housework to do while having to go overtime at work or vice versa. My body is giving up – I feel dead tired as I make my way home and yet I still have to worry about dinner, the dishes, laundry, my 82 yr old Mom (how lives with us and is now showing signs of alzheimer’s), the ceiling that has to be fixed, the bills, my daughter’s assignment and school projects, and more. At work, I almost always doze off and start snoring while typing away, but at night, deep sleep escapes me because my mind is wide awake and doesn’t stop reminding me of things I need to take care of.
Let go… I tell myself…I should let go. Let go of my husband. Set myself free. But my faith tells me to forgive… work things out…persevere and have faith. Let go of my deliverables at work. Ahh…easier said than done. I’ve always wanted to be a “housewife” and just take care of my daughter. I like to be able to cook and have a lot of time to chat with my daughter and my mom who needs me. I’d like to have a long vacation in, another country… but I don’t have the time nor the money to do that. So I go back to work. Sigh…it’s a frustrating cycle.
Hmm…sorry to use up a lot of space. I guess I just want you all to know that… I agree with you. We sometimes need to let go. I need to allow God to take control. I need to trust him more despite everything. I’m glad I found this blog. A least I know I’m not alone. Aside from my God, there are real people out there who knows how it feels. Thanks, Sheila. I’ll be looking forward to reading more. Pray for me. God Bless you!

tami walsh

posted August 24, 2009 at 11:06 pm

thanks sheila

tracy fox

posted September 2, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Hi Sheila: You have an amazing website and whenever I go to it…I feel at peace and I also love your tag line about inspiring women to fall in love with christ. I teach a Bible Study in my home town of Darien and have also just started a blog as well as a newsletter. Everyone seems so in need of answers and peace. It would mean a lot to me if you went to my blog and let me know your thoughts….www.BetterThanHavingItAll.blogspot.com and also may I add your link to my website or blog??I think all the ladies I connect with would love to know about YOU…we almost all came to the Women of Faith Conference in Hartford but then could not make it.
thanks for any thoughts you have..
tracy fox

Lisa

posted September 3, 2009 at 1:24 am

This world is so blessed to have such talented people like you who can bring so many people closer to the Lord. When I feel my day is going crazy, I find a quiet spot and I plug into my IPOD and listen to your music. I feel instantly at peace. Thank you for this blog.
God Bless,
Lisa

JRH

posted September 8, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Love u Sheila. I’m a retired secretary. Forgive me for checking for spelling and grammar errors in everything I read. It’s a condition…..like dandruff. LOL
Pales in comparison….not pails (as in bucket) in comparison.

Kimberly

posted September 20, 2009 at 11:00 am

Thanks Sheila and everyone for all the comments.
I needed to hear them on this Sunday morning while I’m kicking myself for not making it to church today, for not finishing my to-do list from yesterday, from not having the energy to engage with my children on today, and for not being the Superwoman I wish I were.
God, help me to know that for today, I’m not only OK just as I am, but I’m right where you’d have me to be.

Vicki Reichert

posted September 26, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Sheila, Thank you for that piece of wisdom. Today I was experiencing that desire to run from the chore list. I have commented to my husband a few times that everything he eats, wears, sits on, walks on, sleeps on, has been touched by my hand. At first it seemed like a compliment but I think I was complaining!! My to-do list is often a do-for list. I have even put off having time for God b/c of it. I repent! Your word analysis of ‘be still’ definitely hit home when I realized that I need to let go of not just a few lists but of my attitude as well. I am looking forward to seeing you in Quincy at The Crossing in February. You have been my heroine for a very long time. Thank you for your honest example of love!

Your Name

posted October 4, 2009 at 1:38 pm

This is an awesome scriture to give to people with some much to do. I also was given this scripture form the Lord actually i have a plaque in my kitchen that has this scripture on it and i was going through some things at one time and he drew my attention to that scripture and the lord lead me to look up the words still and the word know.still- means unmovable, quite, at rest calm. and i thoght to my self Lord I have five kids a mortage and a husband that doesn’t work and i just quite my job after giving birth to my fifth child to which i prayed before i quit and was peaceful about doing so. How then should i be still not move, rest. then he said look up know- to be sure have facts about, experience with, acquainted with, recognize. then i just had to say Glory be to God with with highest praise Thank You Jesus. what God is saying is I(we) (you) can be still and quite and do nothing for some time if we know who He is, all poweful, all knowing and all loving and everthing we need and are to have he has it and because we are acquainted with him not just having a fling with him that we can rest on Him knowing that everthing that needs to be will be. So know matter how much we have to do who will or won’t assist us God has it and in the end eveything will work together for those that Love the Lord romans 8:28. the mortage will work out cause God gave this house to us the kids gone be fine cause as for me and my house we gone bless the lord, my husband gone find his place ass long as i stay in the lord’s presence, on my knees and being a examlple to my husband that why we go trhough so much cause the lord is using us that lean on him but know that the battle is the lord and we get to reap the good things that come out of our struggls not because we did good or we deserve it but because of the gracfullness and forgiveness or our Lord.

val w

posted October 6, 2009 at 8:35 am

I thought I was reading my own life in your post!!I am a mom of three and pregnant with the fourth. Recently my partner and I split up…so I don’t have a job and still trying to cope with the whole new situation. Sometimes I just want to fall on my knees and beg for forgiveness, because it seems I have done someone bad for all of this at once!I have prayed and prayed…crying to God…what has happened…?But now…I try to think that when one door closes another opens. My children are very young so..it takes alot of energy to keep them calm. My pregnancy was not welcome by my partner so I am alone in dealing with it…however…I will not bend..nor break…God is my strength.
Thank you for reminding me.

debbie

posted October 28, 2009 at 9:46 pm

I ask for prayer for the safe and speedy return of my 10 yr old daughter Rachel, she is in a very dangerous/abusive situation of which was not my choice, nor do I have any control over to change…I pray constantly, and am currently trying my best to be thankful in this trial hoping it will help it be over faster and my precious daughter will be home safe, I ask everyone who reads this to please pray for Rachel’s safe and speedy return to her family!

favorite verse!

posted December 10, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for the reminder! Peace be with you.