Honestly with Sheila Walsh

Honestly with Sheila Walsh

Never Alone

posted by Sheila Walsh

My two dogs, Belle and Tink only differ in weight by five pounds but in Bichon terms that can mean a world of difference. Belle, who is five years old, weighs fourteen pounds and Tink who is three, weighs nine. The most noticeable difference is that Tink can squeeze her body through the fence in our back yard and take off round the lake whereas Belle, with all the will in the world hasn’t a hope. Most of the time I put Tink on a long tether so that she has freedom to run around the yard but not lead me on a merry dance in front of our neighbors while I am still in my pajamas. But one morning recently I let the girls out and before I had time to hook Tink to her leash of grace, she took off! I called the little monkey’s name and Belle barked and barked but Tink was free and she intended to be fully present in every moment. I opened the gate and ran after her, making sure that Belle was safe in the yard. Tink would let me get to within a couple of feet of her and then she would dance off again. Finally she tired of the game and let me pick her up. I find it very difficult to even fake being cross with Tink as she is adorable but I gave it my best shot as I’m afraid one of these days she’ll get out and run into the road. Well, whatever she received from me did not prepare her for what was about to happen when I returned her to the safety of the house. Belle just lit into her. I watched this mini-melodrama unfold as Belle barked and barked at her and then proceeded to drag Tink into a corner by her ear. Once she had a totally captive audience she let Tink have the whole speech. When Belle was finished, Tink got up and with her tail wagging at turbo speed, gave Belle a kiss.

I thought a lot about that encounter. Even though it seemed extreme to me, Tink received it in the spirit that she felt it – love. Belle is protective of Tink and gets very anxious when she is not able to watch over her.

You and I have a heavenly Father who never takes his eyes off us and no matter where we find ourselves, we are never out of his loving care. Even when we squeeze into tight spots, he is there, able to reach us, loving us all the time. The psalmist David put it this way,

“Where can I go from Your Spirit?

Or where can I flee from Your presence?

If I ascend into heaven, You are there;

If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.

If I take the wings of the morning,

And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,

Even there Your hand shall lead me,

And Your right hand shall hold me.”

Psalm 139:7-10 (NKJV)

I pray that you know that today, you are loved, you are loved,

you are loved!

Kathy

posted July 2, 2009 at 11:04 am

I just love this! Bichon’s are full of surprises, aren’t they? My boy continuously preaches to me, by just being who he is. And isn’t that the way we are supposed to be in this world? A letter read by all? Thanks for sharing this warm story. It makes my day a bit brighter!
Kathy

JF BROYLES

posted July 2, 2009 at 11:07 am

I absolutely loved this! I had a cocker spaniel, Buffy Golden Sunshine, and she would dash out of the house &/or yard as fast as her furry legs would carry her. I can’t count how many times I chased her, always fearing that she’d run into the road and get killed.
One day a friend of mine was visiting & Buffy dashed out the door. His solution was to yell “sit!” Buffy did and we scooped her up. Made me think how often God has to “yell” at me to “sit” so he can “scoop me up” into His arms of Love, Safety, and Protection.

Peggy Britt

posted July 2, 2009 at 11:07 am

Wonderful, Sheila. I love the story, but I especially love the quote from Psalm 139. Where can I go frome His Presence? I can’t. Yea, God!

Your Name

posted July 5, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Really good post, thanks for sharing this. :)

Kimberly

posted July 6, 2009 at 8:39 am

I love the way the Lord uses everyday things to get His message across.
Praise the Lord for loving each and everyone. Thank You Father for using Sheila to reach all of us.

Sandy

posted July 6, 2009 at 8:42 pm

My daughter (16) went through a very rough time about Christmastime and asked “where was God then?” She was so depressed that she was “cutting” and I didn’t even see it. But I knew something was wrong and I did my best to stay close to her. I plan to show her this article and tell her – “that’s where God was.” I tried to tell her then, but it never seemed to sink in to her. Maybe this will help her understand better.

India

posted July 7, 2009 at 6:10 am

Yes to Sandy and Her love towards her daughter! Whatever The ROOT cause of what your daughter is going thru? Just Love Her and be there as Her Confidant and let Her feel and know that she can share anything with you! Jesus already knows and His Word Tells us He will never leave Us or Forsake us! I have gone through something similar myself growing up and God is Faithful! Love is the Answer!

Toni

posted July 7, 2009 at 12:56 pm

What tremendous insight. God has given you a special gift, Sheila. Thanks for sharing. I especially enjoyed and appreciated your words at WOF in Des Moines this year. I follow you on Twitter, and love your sense of humor, also! Keep sharing!!!

Your Name

posted July 11, 2009 at 12:53 am

God is good all the time even in the valley God is Good
All The Time. Stay true to His Grace and faithful.

Where to Start?!?
Do you ever find yourself staring at a to-do list on a Monday morning and wondering where to start? Yesterday morning I was like a deer staring into the headlights of a Mac truck. I had two books to edit, a house that needed cleaning, a pile of laundry that looked like a bed for a horse an

posted 12:25:27pm Aug. 03, 2009 | read full post »

A fad or a Place for Connection and Hope?
Some fads seem to spring up in our culture and for a moment they are everywhere, and just as quickly, they are gone. I wondered at first whether Twitter, Facebook and other social media networking outlets that have spread like wildfire would share the same fate. It would seem however that they have

posted 4:41:30pm Jul. 30, 2009 | read full post »

A Race to Run
It was early on a Sunday morning when I boarded my flight home to Dallas. I smiled at the woman who was already seated in my row but she didn't return the smile. She was a very striking woman that I imagined to be in her sixties. I thought, "She either just wants to be left alone or she is afraid to

posted 3:57:26pm Jul. 27, 2009 | read full post »

Only a Prayer Away
I have always been a stargazer. One of my favorite things to do as a child was to lie on a blanket on the grass and wait for the stars and the moon to appear. From a child-like perspective the sun seemed to beat down on me but the moon smiled on me and so I smiled back. Some nights the moon seemed s

posted 12:41:57pm Jul. 20, 2009 | read full post »

God in Every Moment
I looked at my to-do list today and had two more cups of coffee! I have to take Christian to basketball camp, pick up groceries for the next four days, do the laundry, get my nails done, pick Christian up from basketball camp, take him to get new school uniforms, cook dinner, go to my exercise class

posted 11:04:41am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »