Honestly with Sheila Walsh

Honestly with Sheila Walsh

Let Go and Let God

posted by Sheila Walsh

Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

What a promise! This is an all-inclusive verse. Do not worry about ANYTHING.

Don’t worry about the car payments, the house payments, the economy, your job or your health. Whatever is in your heart and mind, bring it to the Lord in prayer and in petition and do it with thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is such an important part of the process because it speaks to trust and confidence.

When we take our prayer requests to God and then continue to worry, it is as if we are saying, “Thanks so much for stopping to listen to me, but I’m not so sure you can help.” In our soul we sense the dissonance in that line of thinking. We believe that God is able to do what He says He will do. Why then is it so difficult to rest in this promise that Paul brings before the church of Philippi? Don’t be anxious about anything!

I think our need for control interferes with our trust in God. Joy and control do not make good roommates. I struggle with this daily. I’ve always found it hard to delegate. I figure if I do something myself then I know it will be done and done the way I think it should be. This spills over into my relationship with Christ. Doing makes me feel as if progress is being made. But that’s not necessarily so.

I have faced a number of situations that lacked closure. I see clearly that I have two choices. I can bring these to God and then spend the rest of the day trying to figure out how I can “make things happen”. Or I can bring my requests before God’s throne of grace with a prayer of thanksgiving and confidence in Him and wait in the Lord. The real difference is what happens in me after my initial prayer. If I make the first choice, I continue to worry and fret over the outcome. If I take the second route, the way by which Paul exhorts us to live, I come to an awesome promise. “The peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

What a gift. The Word of God could not be clearer here. If we will relinquish control of our lives and place our trust in God with absolute confidence, the peace of God, which is beyond human understanding, will cover us, protecting our hearts and minds.

This is “true joy”! Joy that G.K. Chesterton called “the giant secret of the Christian.”

Let go and trust Him today!

Sheila

Check back on Monday’s and Thursday’s for new posts from Sheila.

Patrice Tave

posted June 8, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Thank you Sheila for this uplifting message and understanding about worry, prayer and giving your worries and cares to God to protect me.
I too have had the ordacity to control things that I have remittedly given to God to protect me from. This is a strong message and I will send to family and friends for re-assurance.
Love your sister in christ, Patrice

Elizabeth Theiss

posted June 9, 2009 at 7:31 am

I have been laid-off for seven months now and struggle with the “”let go, let God”. Please pray for me to become stronger in allowing His Will and for me to let go of my control, when after all…He knows what is best for us. Thank you for the insight.
God’s Blessings to you.
Liz

Shirl delva

posted June 10, 2009 at 7:36 am

Thanks for the words. I will try to keep this in mind as I try not to worry about the $2500 and growing debt I am getting from utilities.
Thank you again.

karina manning

posted June 10, 2009 at 9:03 am

Thanks for the word. Today i will let go and let god and not to worry about any situation that is going on in my life i give all to him thank you

dorothy

posted June 10, 2009 at 9:19 am

HI EVERYONE I NEED PRAYER FOR MY SON HE JUST LOST HIS SON, WIFE TO A VIOLENT ACT PRAY GOD WILL KEEP HIM HELP HIM THROUGH THIS GRIEF

Your Name

posted June 10, 2009 at 9:42 am

thanks for the insight, and the word, of god. gods knows best for all his children,imgoing to try harder to let go off the things that really dont matter so much.

Dalvern

posted June 10, 2009 at 10:04 am

Thanks for this sound word from the Lord.
I struggle with the drive to always be in control and the counsel to trust God in and with everything.Your message has come through loud and clear and I pray hat the Lord will bring me to that final place of experiencing His ” peace that passeth all understanding”.
God bless you.

Marilyn

posted June 10, 2009 at 10:10 am

Thanks for the word I work at a job that is very stressful and need to get out of it but have alot of bills and can’t leave. I would like to open up my own bakery that is what i love to do. Pray for me that I will be able to leave my job and open up my bakery. God Bless You

Charlotte

posted June 10, 2009 at 10:11 am

Thank You Shelia for that reminder.
These past two weeks has really been very stressful. I have been praying to God for a breakthrough (family & money), but I found myself trying to take care of it myself.
I am going to give control to God, trusting that all will come in His timing and not mine.

Your Name

posted June 10, 2009 at 10:46 am

Thank you Sheila. I too have been struggling with this. God wants us to put all our trust in Him, because He is faithful and He is able! A couple of years ago, after my Mother went to heaven, a plane pulling a banner said this message, “Pray, Hope and Don’t Worry”. I believe the Lord sent this to me and He still reminds me of this. He want us to rest in Him! Thank you Father for placing our brothers and sisters in Christ here for us, one for another. God is good all the time! -God bless you!

Jamie

posted June 10, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Thankyou so much! This is a very good wisdom of christian! I will try not to worry about anything while praying, this got to be on the top!

Ron Reed

posted June 10, 2009 at 4:34 pm

This is the very subject i’m dealing with at this moment. Very timely message. Realationship issues. I’m going to follow this advice. Need help in prayer 4 strength.

maria

posted June 11, 2009 at 8:37 am

I loved this message I have a tandency to pray and worry. My husband is away and it’s hard I pray to god his okay and he finds a way to communicate. I worried about all the bad things and what if’s thank you so much for this message

Liz

posted June 11, 2009 at 8:40 am

Amen!

Pamela

posted June 11, 2009 at 10:15 am

Thank you for this. It’s so appropriate for me ….I plan to follow up and read the scripture and make a conscious effort to have faith, let go and let God. God Bless. Pamela

Denise

posted June 11, 2009 at 10:18 am

I do exactly what you are not suppose to do. I tell God about all my worries of being unemployed, no money, bills are piling up,my electric being turned off. And still I worry about it still and I need to believe that God will find a solution for the problems. And I should quit worrying. Thank you for making me understand what I am suppose to do to make the most of our God in Heaven.

Sabrina

posted June 11, 2009 at 11:25 am

I have been going thru this very thing all week…I have made myself sick with anxiety and worry while everyone and myself keeps saying stop worrying God will take care of you. This message really confirms that for me…THANKS!

Pedro

posted June 11, 2009 at 11:27 am

I have been a control freak all my life. I prayed but never ceased worrying about everything. At this time and moment in my life, so many thoughts of inadequacy, frustration are the result of my lack of trust in Him. Nothing is left for me…but to once an for all truly give give Him the glory and recognize He is the only one that can mend my life. I have learned the difficult way,that for us to get near Him, we do so not by selfishly asking for ourselves but by thanking Him for all and everything in our lives regardless how life may have turned on us. God works with us not in our terms but His. We don’t tell him what we need, but ask for His blessing if it convenes. The Xanax,Effexors’and Paxils’have not been the answer. Casually yesterday kneeled and prayed. Did not came out well. Today I will do the same not to get the money I need to pay my already behind bills, as well as “everything else”. I will pray and thank Him to give me strenght and serenity deeply and truly understanding He is the only one in control. Father I want “your peace, the one that trascends and guards my heart and mind in JESUS CHRIST”…Amen

David

posted June 11, 2009 at 11:34 am

So ! True & Helpful ,tho sometimes hard to remember & do .Thanks !

Jenny

posted June 11, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I really struggle with this one and although I keep renewing my promise to keep to this, I tend to physcially react to worry and stress which causes me to try to control and take action to remedy probs.

ackie

posted June 11, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Thanks very good advise.my mom tells me that all the time.

Egyptian Gods

posted June 11, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Hi, I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting. Very good post. Thanks for posting.

Christal Stewaet

posted June 11, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Praise the Lord! Iam a total control freak. I have been unemployed since February and I have prayed for another job and still I continue to worry. I now know that is not honoring God and all his greatness. Thank you so much for writing this I needed to hear it. I thank God for the job he will give me in advance.

Lora Aguilar

posted June 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm

I know that I find this very hard to do. I turn it over and then wind up and taking it back. Stress is my middle name. I know that it is not good to stress over things and when we turn things over to God we need to leave it with him. We just need to believe that things will work out.

Altimase

posted June 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Sheila this is truly an enlightenment. God is truly with us all the time during everything and if we continue to trust in him than we should not worry. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Your Name

posted June 12, 2009 at 4:04 am

i am also a control freak but also a good person. my husband just left me and this was one of our big issues i love him and want him back so pray and let go i try and it does give me peace hes really hard headed so please pray for us his name is bill and im tish we need lots of prayers open his heart pray and let GOD do the rest thank you and all my love

Your Name

posted June 13, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I to worry get anxious about things .But then when I take the time to
remember God’s word I get calmer but when the storm first hit my heart races my head hurts I can’t think ,I don’t want to be around anyone.This is truly a blessing to read these comments.Please pray for me that I can overcome these anxious feelings and wait on the Lord and be ale to reconize his voice.

Burrell

posted June 15, 2009 at 10:45 am

Worry is my middle name. I did not realize that I was a control freak until recently, my controlling nature manifests itself as not wanting to impose on anyone. Right now I’m arguing with a family member via email and I find it difficult to let it go. I anticipate negative emails, I don’t handle confrontation well at all, so I dread every time I check my email. Even when justified, I find it difficult to have people angry or upset with me. I obsess over what they may say and just plain worry about it until I get a response. I’ve tried not responding and just letting it go but I always give in and start the process all over.
I need to pray about it and let it go. Please help me do so. Thanks.

Mary Greer

posted June 16, 2009 at 8:34 am

I find this true. I pray for God to help, knowing I can’t do anything about the situation, then take it back and worry myself into high blood pressure and sickness.
I find this very inspiring. I have printed it out to keep with me to remind.

Your Name

posted June 16, 2009 at 8:38 am

Thanks I am truly going through a lot of things that I am trying to let go of.This is not something that I don’t know or didn’t know its just hard when your husband has taken all your money and abused you and you don’t have anywhere to go no money no nothing.Seeking for help for gas to get to work from day to day and when you get your check its already gone and stress all over again.
I know if I let Go and Let God it will be alright but thats one of the hardest things for me to do.
Thanks DEPRESSED.

Grace

posted June 18, 2009 at 12:45 am

I am praying for everyone who posted their comments above mine. Burrell, you are not the only one who struggles with your worries, thoughts and perhaps a bit of stubborness. Conflict is never enjoyable because we all want to identify and connect with others — it’s human nature. Try placing yourself if their shoes and imagine making their side of the argument as if it was yours. At a minimum, it will give you insight and perhaps help you focus on the issue and the argment instead of your feelings. “Your Name,” I’m sorry to hear that your husband recently left….if he is your soulmate, he will return as he will understand that while you are not perfect, you have a good heart and are trying to do and be better.
Don’t worry everyone . . . have faith. Everything is going to turn out fine even if you still hit bumps in the road along the way.

trying to be grateful

posted June 21, 2009 at 4:32 am

I am facing a situation, but I just prayed and told GOD what I thankful for and I will see the results tomorrow. I will check back with u tomorrow.

Your Name

posted June 22, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I have been struggling with some stress over my R.N. boards for about a little over a year now. I have taken the test twice and have failed. Not to mention all the daily stress of trying to pay the bills on a low paycheck. I have prayed several times, but continue to have anxiety over it. I did not know about letting go and letting God take control. I too am controling and find it difficult to let go of the control. This has inspired me to try harder and let go.

Princess

posted June 23, 2009 at 11:19 am

I have no problem praying about situations that occur in my life. It is the “letting go” part that I struggle so much with. I don’t doubt that God has the power to change the situation. I just lack the faith of believing that God will do it for me. I am so critical of myself and I am always contemplating whether or not God is trying to punish me for something I have done previously. I am really tired of living in fear, doubt, and faithlessness. I want to have the “peace that transcends all understanding”. This scripture is very encouraging, but so difficult to put into practice.

bea

posted June 23, 2009 at 11:22 am

I have been praying for my own house for years and it has not come
to pass. Should I stop praying?

Jodi L. Baker

posted June 25, 2009 at 3:32 am

who ever this goes to my father hurt his leg and he got eighteen stiches in his leg and they put him on meds to help him get better because I am worry about him and I don’t want anything to happen to him so I told him I will say a prayer for him to get better because after he told me about it I started to cry because I love him so much so can someone help me please to stay in touch with it Thank You? whoever this goes to u have my e-mail now so u can keep in touch with me?

D

posted July 8, 2009 at 9:57 am

Please pray for my son and I, I lost my sons dad 6 years ago and we are really having a hardtime. He is now 15 and really needs a male figure in his life. I tell him that God is the male figure in his life. But at 15 it is hard.
I have had to take a paycut with my job but I am very blessed to even have a job. We are struggling to make ends meet as he grows my grocery bill grows.
I know that people are going without and this is nothing compared to most, but please keep our family in your prayers.
And Bea, never stop praying. Just remember God’s time

Kimberley

posted July 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm

for me and my life at this current junction. My husband is out of the country with my stepson. When I say out of country I mean out of cell phone range. We own our own business which with the economy has been a stuggle to keep afloat. I am here doing the work part and I have my other stepson with me… I have been feeling a mixture of feelings but I feel as though I can not take a breath because everything is going to come crashing down. Shelia’s words and the verse could not come at a better time as all day today I have been worrying about the week ahead of me… I will save this verse into my computer as a reminder for this week…
Thank you Shelia for helping these words come alive…

Angel

posted November 4, 2009 at 10:09 am

I believe in “Let Go and let God”. The part that I struggle with is “WHEN????” or “is it His will?”. About 6 months ago, I prayed every night for Him to help me let go of a relationship that ended. And everyday I still thought about it. And I’m like “This is SO PAINFUL, will You please just help me let it go already?!?!”…Today, I don’t think about it at all. So I know He answers prayer. It’s just the instant gratification part I have troubles with, hehe. I’m stressing because my husband lost his job and has been on unemployment and it’s about to run out. And now, I’m on the verge of losing MY job. Not to mention the fact that come tax time next year, we’ll owe the government so much money because we couldn’t afford to get the taxes taken out of his unemployment (a VERY stupid mistake that I regret quite a lot). It seems like it’s about to get really bad, really fast. And we have no friends or family that could help us out. So when we say “fully relying on God”….we are, indeed, FULLY relying on Him. I just pray that it is not His will for us to be on the street and that something amazing will happen soon. My mother in law always says that God doesn’t close a door without opening a window….I can’t wait for this window to open up!!!

Your Name

posted June 29, 2011 at 4:38 am

I pray GOD to help me to let it go for the relationship I have, giving me warries and stress. I want to go on with my life and be happy with my family.
Thanks