Homeshuling

Homeshuling

Happy Birthday to me, free books for you!

posted by Homeshuling

It’s erev my birthday on the secular calendar. (Wondering when your birthday is on the Hebrew calendar? You can find out here.) Tomorrow I’ll be something-something. No, actually I’ll be 43. After spending the weekend with a bunch of young hippies at the Teva/Adamah staff reunion, it’s actually starting to feel kind of old

feivel.jpg

What better way to celebrate than to offer a children’s book giveaway? (Well, a romantic dinner with my husband, for one, but that will have to wait until we have a babysitter.) Kar-Ben publishers (yes, the folks who published both my first and upcoming books, and yes, who sent me a copy to review) are offering a very sweet story, Feivel’s Flying Horses, by Heidi Smith Hyde, to one lucky reader. It’s the story of how an immigrant turns his skill at carving synagogue furniture into a viable career as a merry-go-round horse artisan. I still feel about ten years old when I go on the rides at the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk with my kids every summer, so this seems like a perfect match for the day.
To enter, all you have to do is post a comment about a favorite birthday tradition. For you, this time. Not your kids. Post by the end of November 21 in order to be eligible.

Becky

posted November 15, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I won’t say it’s a tradition, but when I turned 30, I threw myself a 80′s style birthday at Northampton Bowl, complete with goody bags, pizza, and ice cream cake (although it wasn’t Carvel). Maybe I’ll keep it going for big birthdays!

Eloise

posted November 15, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I have always, for as long as I can remember, had crepes as my birthday dinner. Not for dessert mind you, and not savory either, but piles and piles of lovely crepes with lemon and sugar for dinner. It was lovely when my mom used to make them for me as a child, but there were never enough. Now I get to make as many as I want (which is a lot!)

Traci

posted November 15, 2010 at 6:58 pm

My favorite birthday tradition is to ask for toys. I’m going to be 32 in December, and as I fight being an adult, I find some irrational toy I must have so I can feel like a kid still. When I turned 30, I asked for a remote control tarantula. My family thought I was joking, but I wasn’t. I always wanted one and since it was likely I wouldn’t buy one on my own I put it on my wish list. Besides, my 4 year old loves whatever toys I get and we get to play with them together.

Dara

posted November 15, 2010 at 8:15 pm

having hamburgers for dinner.

Michelle

posted November 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm

My favorite birthday tradition is the special birthday cake,banana chocolate chip with chocolate fudge frosting, that my Poppop made for us every year. He only made this cake for birthdays and only for our family parties and so it is special. I now make it for Froggy.

Cara

posted November 15, 2010 at 8:48 pm

My favorite birthday tradition is to go for a nice family dinner, one really decadent dessert, a walk on the beach with my kids and mom, and perhaps somewhere fun, like Old Town in St. Augustine.
One tradition that has lapsed, sadly, in recent years, is getting my mother to make me a real rum cake. My favorite. I might have to revive that tradition next year.

Becky

posted November 15, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Also, I know you said not for our kids, and since our boys just turned one, we have only gotten to do this once, but on their birthday, we bake treats and bring them to Hamp OB/GYN and the Cooley Dickinson Birthing Center. This past year we did two’fer cookies: chocolate chip cookies with chunks of brownies inside!

Dorothy

posted November 15, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I don’t really have any traditions now as a grownup, but my favorite tradition as a kid was getting measured against the front closet door on my birthday. I do that with my kids now. Plus, my parents still live in the same house, so when we visit, we can compare the kids’ heights to mine at their ages.

Sarah Buttenwieser

posted November 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm

birthday tradition? beyond a frozen yogurt, really, it’s about taking a little time to receive calls/well wishes.
43 not so old!
happy happy xo

acw

posted November 15, 2010 at 10:54 pm

My favorite birthday tradition is making my own cake. It’s delicious, and exactly what I want!

Eileen

posted November 16, 2010 at 8:59 am

43 is young! (I’m 47…)
Our household birthday tradition, and hence mine as well, is a treasure hunt. One of the adults sets up clues around the house, each clue leading to the next one…and so on…until the gift is found. (When the kids were little the clues were in picture format…it’s always exciting when they can actually start to read their own clues).
I love running up and down the stairs trying to figure out where to go next. My gift from the kids is almost always the same thing (Body Shop soaps) so there is no real surprise, but I love their excitement and anticipation in presenting a gift that they chose themselves.

Anne

posted November 16, 2010 at 10:58 am

My birthday tradition is that I share the birthday with my stepmom. I love that we share the date. My sister and daughter also have a shared birthday, as well as my twins (of course). It’s a family tradition!

Miriam Foss

posted November 16, 2010 at 11:14 am

My favorite birthday tradition is being home to answer phone calls from family and friends. I love catching up and being celebrated with attention!

Left Coast Barb

posted November 17, 2010 at 12:41 am

First, I has DS at 42, so you are doing great at this point! Now, as to a birthday tradition: It is my birth family’s tradition to say a little poetic prayer on everyone’s birthday. It is from BC (Before Conversion), so pretty Presbyterian, as was my upbringing. “Many happy returns on the day of thy birth, may sunshine and gladness be given. And may our Dear Father prepare us on earth, for a beautiful birthday in heaven.” A little creepy, but I love it nonetheless. :-)

R

posted November 17, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Speaking as someone who is 57 years old, the phrase “young hippies” is an oxymoron. If they’re hippies, they’re not young. If they’re young, they’re not hippies.
Hope your birthday was happy.

Heather

posted November 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Growing up, my parents used to take me to Manhattan to my favorite restaurant.
As I got older, this was more of a chore, so we began to go to dinner at a local favorite restaurant.
Then my family moved further away and we can’t always get together on my birthday. So, we celebrate when we see each other by going to a nearby restaurant.
It’s about getting together more than anything else.

MorahLaura

posted November 17, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Happy Birthday, Amy!
I’m with acw. I make my own cake so it’s just the way I want it.

Homeshuling

posted November 18, 2010 at 7:22 am

agreed. but “pseudo-hippies” sounded too snarky.

Michael

posted November 18, 2010 at 11:55 am

My birthday, since high school has been a day of service whenever possible. Thinking outside of myself on the day of ‘me’ has been helpful for many years.

Robin (noteverstill)

posted November 18, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Cheesecake as birthday cake. Yum.

Patty Arella

posted November 18, 2010 at 3:46 pm

For my 60th birthday, my mother and sister wrapped 60 presents and put them in a 1/2 bushel basket for me. When I opened them, one by one, I found items ranging from an old comb, to naughty panties, to my mother’s antique gold lapel pin watch with chain. What fun: what love.

Melinda Balasa

posted November 19, 2010 at 4:02 pm

My favorite birthday (and Mother’s Day) tradition starts with breakfast in bed and includes a show from my beautiful daughters. When they were younger, they performed a song and dance routine with them both wearing princess dresses and has now morphed into a musical performance on clarinet from my teenager and a separate fashion show from my now 10 year old. I can’t wait to see what they come up with next year!

Zebulun

posted November 19, 2010 at 4:58 pm

The older I get, the sillier I feel celebrating the anniversary of my own birth. I feel much more comfortable celebrating other people. Someone else commented that they use their birthday as a day of service to others. I think that sounds like a good idea.

Bingslittlegirl

posted November 19, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Remembering hearing my parents tell me of the trip to the hospital the night I was born, I retell to anyone who will listen the story of a February blizzard way back in 1945 in South-central Michigan and how my father had to get out of the car every few miles to reattach the chains on his old car’s back tires so there would be enough traction to go another mile. He’d get one partially on, then run back, open the door and yell, “Are you doing okay, Honey? I’m almost done!” and then he’d go back to work on the chains. They finally made it the 13 miles to the hospital with an hour or two to spare before I made my Grand Entrance.

stephanie

posted November 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I make my own cake every year so it is exactly as I want it.

ann

posted June 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I know I am way late — but I just stumbled across your blog…and decided to share.
My husband enjoys feeding people (his restaurant is Grady’s Cafe in St. George, SC. Each person in the family gets to choose their favorite meal…mama always gets home made tacos.
glad to have discovered your web site and looking forward to getting “The Shabbat Princess” for my granddaughters 3rd birthday–July 10th.
Thank you for sharing.