Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Christian School Student Suspended For Attending Public School Prom

posted by Joanne Brokaw

An Ohio Christian high school student was suspended yesterday after he escorted his girlfriend to her prom at the public high school.
Yahoo News reported Friday that 17-year-old Tyler Frost, a senior a Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, was told by his principal that if he attended the prom at Findlay High School with his girlfriend Rebecca Smoody he would be suspended from school, and if it was found that he was involved with sex or alcohol at the prom he would be expelled.

Frost’s stepfather told the Associate Press that he doesn’t expect the school’s rules to apply outside the classroom.
The code of conduct at Heritage Christian School forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing; the handbook calls rock music “part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people’s hearts and minds.”
Principal Tim England told the Associated Press, “In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other.”
FrostSmoody.jpgIronically, the report in Ohio’s Courier.com displays a picture of Frost and Smoody engaged in a lip lock in front of the school as Frost starts his first day of school suspension. (The photo credits Randy Roberts and can be found on the Courier.com main page.) That should be enough to get the senior expelled from school. The principal had said that in the face of suspension Frost would be able to take his exams and get his diploma, although he wouldn’t be able to participate in graduation.
Frost told a local television station that he didn’t regret attending the prom, which Findlay High School Principal Craig Kupferberg said went off without a hitch as 669 students and 99 guests danced the night away. But Frost did say that he regrets that his classmates may now be unfairly judged for their beliefs or for attending Heritage Christian.
While I understand that the school has rules and that students agree to them, I’m still shaking my head in dismay. Those kind of restrictive rules don’t do much to help teach a student – especially one who’s going to be headed off to college in the fall – how to transition their beliefs to the real world. Rather than suspend him, it would have been a great opportunity for the principal to help prepare Frost to make decisions in a real world situation.
And I have to question what the principal meant when he said that Frost was deciding between pleasing himself or God. Did he mean violating the code of conduct he’d agree do would displease God, because God expects us to keep our word? Or did he mean that attending a public school prom itself would be displeasing to God? I suspect he meant the latter, which would be ridiculous. If he meant the first, then I could maybe – MAYBE – see his case that keeping your word in the face of distractions would be pleasing to God. But there’s nothing inherently wrong with attending the prom. Or dancing or listening to music.
In an event, I wonder what you think. Is the school right in suspending Frost? Or should he have abided by the school’s rules and not attended the prom?
Click here to subscribe to Gospel Soundcheck by email and have the Gospel Soundcheck headlines delivered daily to your email inbox. And don’t forget to follow me on Twitter!

Dave

posted May 12, 2009 at 8:34 am

I understand that attending the prom was against the rules – but the student went to the principle and got signed permission to attend the prom. How can the school come back and say “we gave you permission to go but we are going to punish you for it?” Did the school board not back up Mr. England’s decision to give permission?
All units of humans have rules – whether its a family, a church, a school, or a work place. I don’t have a problem with there being rules – if you don’t like the rules you get them changed or you leave. But it should be acceptable for someone to go to an authority of a unit (school in this case) and ask for permission to do something that is against the written rules (I mean there are always exceptions to rules). And once the authority gives permission to break the rules – he should stick by his decission. If the institution isn’t going to back Mr. England in his decision – that should be between Mr. England and the school board.
I think it is wrong to punish Tyler Frost for something they gave him permission to do.

Teresa Roberts Logan

posted May 12, 2009 at 8:44 am

This is ridiculous for this school to try and control every minute in a student’s life, and to try and perpetuate the “Christian” Bubble they apparently live in.
I went to a private Baptist high school, which did not sponsor proms. So, the students put on their own proms, and the high school was apparently fine with that.
Are they trying to send the message that Christians cannot associate with people who dance? What is THAT?
Bizarreness, that’s what. And it ain’t NOTHIN’ like Jesus!
Thanks, Joanne, I appreciate your thoughtful approach to this!!

Saganhill

posted May 12, 2009 at 8:48 am

Wasn’t that Kevin Bacon film based on this School?
Really, how about we teach this school to be a little more rational when teaching kids.
And when viewing the story on CNN there was this old fart stating something about a contract that the boy agreed to. There are laws about minors and contracts and he is to young to enter into any contract and if he did Im sure it was under durrest. (excuse spelling).

David O

posted May 12, 2009 at 9:28 am

I live in Findlay, and have firsthand knowledge of this situation. The form the principals from other schools are asked to sign in this situation is not a permission slip. It merely states that Student A is a student in good standing at School B. I imagine that Findlay High School requires this in order to maintain a level of security and control over who attends their prom.

Deana

posted May 12, 2009 at 9:44 am

I think it is ridiculous to punish a student for something that didn’t happen on the christian school property or at his school function. You can certainly dictate the rules within YOUR school but you can’t tell people what they can and can’t do on their personal time… This isn’t communism. I went to christian schools growing up, this was not the practice. We were allowed to have prom, have homecoming and every other high school function. What we did in our own time as long as we didn’t disgrace the school, was fine. And as Christians to be so closed minded as to say that our rules are right and every one else are wrong.. is absurd. Was he doing drugs wearing a shirt from his school? was he caught having sex in the backseat of a car that had a bumper sticker on it from his school? IS SHE PREGNANT? Oh wait maybe he was falling down drunk holding a beer in a huggie with his schools logo on it?? The point is, he didn’t do any of these things… He seems to be a good kid. THIS IS WRONG!!

Nancy

posted May 12, 2009 at 10:23 am

I just saw this on the news, and was reminded of the school district my children went to. They took the stance if the child did ANYTHING off school property, and not during school hours (ie fighting, underage drinking, etc), the child would be suspended from school. This included the summers when school was not in session.
I did not then, nor do I now agree with this. I believe it is the school’s right to dictate the rules of the school as well as any events that are associated with it.
I do not believe the school district has the right to dictate to my children when they are under my supervision and on my time. I am the parent, they are not. I make the rules for my family, they do not. I decide the punishment if it is necessary, they do not.
When schools attempt to take total control of a child to the extent they believe they have the authority to make all decision for the children at all times, they are taking away not only parental rights, but violating the integral core of the families. They are stating by those actions that not one single person is capable of raising their own child, and the only ones that can are them. NO ONE has the right to do that.
Fortunately for our school district, I did not have to deal with such nonsense as this family is having to do. However, I did put our school on warning if they ever attempted to usurp my authority as a parent, they had better take me to court, prove me unfit, take custody of my children, take my name off the birth certificate and pay the children’s bills. Until they attempted to do that, they would do well to remember the children in question were MY children, and only their students. However if this had ever happened, I was prepared to go to court at any time, to have the situation resolved.
This is not a dictatorship in this country, and it would be well for school administrations to accept that. And it would be wonderful if parents would stand up to the system and take back the control they are allowing strangers to take from us. Children are the most precious gift we are given. If we do not to our best to take care of them and protect them, we do not deserve to have them. And by allowing another to dictate our actions on how we raise our children, we are doing nothing more than saying our child are too much trouble and just throwing them out for others to raise.
I hope the family of this boy fights this school and wins. I doubt they do win as they’ve already stated the boy will be allowed to graduate even if it isn’t with his own class. But hopefully it will put the other families of this school on guard to see that they can lose control of their own children, and the enrollment for this dictatorship of an institution will see enrollment drop until they decide to relinquish parental rights of the students to the parents that BY LAW are entitled to have.
Good luck in college Mr. Froth. Your school is not allowing you to learn the type of things to deal with the “real world”. I wish you the best.
And to the administrators of this institution… watch the movie Footloose. Kids are the same all over, and when you treat them as prisioners instead of helping them to get ready for the reality of life, you’re hurting them. Fortunately, the children in this movie had a pastor that finally learned how to help, and not hurt. Take a lesson for yourselves before you destroy many young lives.
Footloose by Kenny Loggins
(Chorus)
Loose, footloose
Kick off your Sunday shoes
Please, Louise
Pull me offa my knees
Jack, get back
C’mon before we crack
Lose your blues
Everybody cut footloose

pg

posted May 12, 2009 at 1:38 pm

He and his parents knew the rules before they sent their child there. Sending your child to a private or Christian school is by choice only. They had a choice, if they didn’t agree with the school’s policy then they should have never let their child attend there. They have no grounds of sueing the school. He said on the news that he signed a piece of paper stating that he agreed with the policy. And, kissing his girlfriend outside of the school after the suspension shows blunt rebellion. I do not understand why parents pay to send their child to a school just to scream you do not agree with their policies. If you do not agree – send them else where!

Denise Thorbjornsen

posted May 12, 2009 at 3:42 pm

First off attending a prom doesn’t mean sex,rock and roll ,and drugs.I went to my prom and had a nice time.Does the principul of his christian high know God’s word or is he a pharisee who thinks that young people can’t have a dance and simply dance and enjoy eachother’s company with adult supervision.I think it sends the wrong message about Jesus,od and the bible.It’s in the new testament that a young man or woman who can’t control their passions should marry.What’s this principal affraid of,his ability to lord it over this student or does he forget to love his neighbor as himself.I think it’s redicuous that this young man can’t attend his own graduation ceremony because of a power hungry principal.God knows we all make mistakes.Is this principal going to show some forgiveness as Jesus commanded.Forif you will not forgive men their tressspasses,then neither will God forgive you your tresspasses.

Tom

posted May 12, 2009 at 3:54 pm

This is not Christianity or what Jesus preached. That school is teaching a false version of Christianity. They are the heretics and the ones who displease God. That principal ought to be ashamed. I would expect this from an Imam leading a Muslim madrassa.
I’m so grateful that I was not raised in that sort of restrictive false Christian cult.

Your Name

posted May 12, 2009 at 3:56 pm

The old saying goes “it takes two to tango” and that is applicable to more than the dancing here.
On one hand, I agree that school’s stance both oversteps the bounds of rationality in its interference in student lives and does little to help prepare the student to live anything other that what one writer (C.S. Lewis maybe?) called “rabbit hole Christianity” where life is simply a mad-dash from one “safe” Christian place to another. I personally find the stance to be ironically un-Christian, as Christ himself called us to be “salt” and “light” in the world.
On the other hand, Christian schooling is a choice and one that I would presume this young man (or his parents) freely made. If he (they) didn’t know or understand that rules of that particular school going in, then that was a failure on his (thier) part. Once you agree to something, you should stick to it. As Jesus also said, “let your yes be yes, and your no be no.”

Richard

posted May 12, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Wow! This is a PR mess for everything I believe in. I agree that the student knew the consequences and made a decision. I am ok with the school making their own rules….. BUT – for the Principal to make a statement to the press that this student has chosen against God and to infer his damnation to Hell…… And to then boldly speak for God and Gods’ Moral will for this and (implied) all students. Is a big-ole-can-of-worms.
Maybe I should go visit my ostrich friend he has a nice warm hole for my head.

Anonymous

posted May 12, 2009 at 4:05 pm

What does dancing have to do with christianity.. and really if there was no sin in the world .. wouldn’t that mean that Jesus just died in vain???

Bill

posted May 12, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I can’t believe how some are twisting this. The principal never said the poor young man would be damned to hell. Why are we attacking a private school with its own biblical world view that may be a little more conservative than most of us? While I too don’t believe it is a sin to dance, the family was was not forced to send their child to this school. They chose to send their child to this school and abide by their rules. He and the parents knew ahead of time the consequences and made their choice. They contacted the secular press AHEAD OF TIME (I know because I read this last week) and are trying to create a national rebellion against this school’s “separate from the world” beliefs. Let them run their school the way they choose, and let families freely decide whether or not to send their children there without one rebellious teen building a secular support trap in which we’re all falling.

Your Name

posted May 12, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I am saddened by a few things here. First is that the gossip from this has reached into other states. I saw this in the Milwaukee Journal, in WI. Second saddened that these High School students are subjected to even signing something like this that effects there lives outside the school as to the music and dance and attending a prom. As for serving self or God, is this administration and Pastor of this church placing themselves in the position of God? I am very familure with this school and the college they are affiliated with, BJU. I am a grad.of that college and 25 years ago taught in a christian school in SC. I too had turned in a student who attended a prom. And have regretted now for years that I had done so. If I could look that girl in the eye today I would ask her forgiveness. Did I bring that student closer to God? Who was I? Was I serving self or God? Well…
Relationship with God is what it is all about. Also people will not remember so much as what you say or do but will remember how you made them feel.

Joanne Brokaw

posted May 12, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Your Name – I appreciate your honest comment, and I’m sorry that you have regret about that incident; I understand the feeling, looking back and wishing you could redo something and wondering if you turned someone away from God rather than to Him. I think God understands how you feel, and hopefully the girl has forgiven you without you even knowing; God has. :)
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Your Name

posted May 12, 2009 at 7:46 pm

I’m sorry, I’m a christian, and unfortunately some people take Christianity to the extreme. People need to know that this has nothing to do with true Christianity and is not what GOD intended. I would have to question the judgement of this principal! This does nothing but drive people away from GOD.

A CHRISTIAN MOM

posted May 12, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I AM A MOTHER OF 5 AND THIS IS NOT A GOOD SCHOOL… XCUZME… REMEMBER SCHOOL BE FORGIVING… GOD DIE ON THE CROSS OF ALL SINNERS AND I WHO ARE YOU TO JUGDE… GOD LOVES ALL HIS CHILDERN… SO GET WITH THE TIMES… ARE KIDS ARE GOOD KIDS AND THEY WILL DO MISTAKES.. AND WE COULD ONLY SHETHER SO MUCH..

Sarah

posted May 12, 2009 at 8:15 pm

First off, whole anti-rock stance is insane. It sounds like something that was said back in the 40’s or 50’s. This is a new millennium. Rock has been around for a long time and will continue to be. There are plenty of people who listen to it and who are very religious. (Hence the whole Christian Rock trend) I think it is a good thing if a young person can relate to someone like the lead singer of U2 (BONO) or John Mellencamp (helped start Farm Aid). Famous people are what spreads the word around fastest about charity.
I only have one comment on the dancing policy. If dance is so bad, then I guess the pope is going to go to hell because he has invited many people to the Vatican to perform. This is one of those visits.
Why aren’t two people of the opposite sex allowed to kiss again? Didn’t god create man and woman for the purpose of uniting? Don’t people who are in love kiss? Just because you kiss someone doesn’t mean you are going to have sex with them. Some people still have morals in this world. Demanding that a someone not to do something can provoke the very thing this man seems to be thinking he is teaching not to do. I think that is what provokes rebellion. If someone tells me I can’t do something, it makes me all that much more determined. Plus, how does this teach trust? Instead, I think he should be teaching the things that make a good Christian like honesty, trust, and compassion for all. That is what being a Christian is all about. It is not about strict roles and paranoia.
In any point, this teen went dancing with his girlfriend outside of school. How can the school dictate what he was does on his own time? As long as he doesn’t shame the school, (which he obviously did not) what right do they have suspending him? They obviously are trying to make an example of him, but I’m not sure what it is; unless it is that you have no freedom if you go to their school. I also agree with Nancy. The school’s policies totally infringe on parental rights.

Jennifer

posted May 12, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I also attended a christian school. This is exactly why people think that Christian schools are cults. The administration gives permission, they get their tushes in a sling for doing so and then try to cover it by punishing Tyler. Mr & Mrs Frost you have the right to see your son walk in graduation. Also, Tyler will be out in the “world” in a little over a month..what then..I have to question just how good the teachings are at the school? If they don’t think he can handle things now, what about when he graduates..oh, I see its not their problem then. Push for the rights of your son…make them take the blame where it truly belongs and it is not on your son!

JETHRO

posted May 13, 2009 at 12:26 am

sHAME KID GETS HIS DREAMS TAKEN AWAY BY THIS. aND READ ON THE SCHOOLS WEBSITE THE PERSON THAT WROTE IT SOUNDS LIKE HE IS POWER HUNGRY

John

posted May 13, 2009 at 12:27 am

You are all such pushovers. As evidenced by this situation and the Miss California episode, it’s apparently only ok to be tolerant if you really like the people you’re tolerating. Just because something is allowed doesn’t mean it’s worth doing. Why are standards (albeit strict ones) villified? The laissez faire “just do whatever you want” philosophy is not one of any merit. As Paul says in 1 Corinthians 10:23: “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are profitable. “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things build up.

Jane

posted May 13, 2009 at 12:34 am

I have no idea how these people wanted their son in the school to begin with if they knew the rules. If they were so deadset against it, why didn’t they use any of the alternatives? To think this is actually about Tyler Frost is naivety.

Marie

posted May 13, 2009 at 2:53 pm

This is a Christian website and you are blasting the school? Wow, I wonder what kind of “Christian” you are. Maybe you had better read the Bible again (or for the first time) to see what God says about holiness. It’s HIS ideas that we need to follow, not whatever YOU think is right or wrong.
Tyler knew the rules, and he chose to break them! And you are siding with him? I am sure God is smiling down on you and your ideas right now, wow!

Homer

posted May 13, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Marie, are you judging Joanne Brokaw, Tyler Frost and others, and the sincerity of their faith? It seems to me that you might be. Jesus said that we are not to judge others, that is for him, and God, and I think that just might apply even if we don’t have all the same doctrinal beliefs. Remove the plank from your own eye before attempting to remove the splinter from another person’s eye. Wondering what kind of “Christan” somebody is seems very clear to me that you are judging, otherwise why put the quotes around Christian?
I am a conservative, evangelical, fundamentalist. A Christian first through being born again, a Baptist second by choice of association. But I am not narrow minded.
Miriam danced to music after the exodus, the first person recorded to have danced, I believe. In Judges, 200 of the surviving 600 Benjamite men “stole” their wives after almost all of the tribe of Benjamin had been killed and only 400 virgins were found among the inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead who did not go to war against Benjamin.
David danced in the streets with his robes removed while bringing the ark to Jerusalem. Of course he had some clothes on still, but probably minimal, enough to be covered, yet not dressed as royalty. His wife Micah look out the window and “despised him in her heart”, then criticized him, but he was dancing for God and she was rewarded with never having a child. There is nothing un-Biblical about dancing.
“Grinding” and other sexually suggestive dancing is an entirely different story of course, but should we condemn all dancing because some people may go overboard? Should we not rather raise children with the right morals so they know not to do what we teach them is morally inappropriate? I have an almost 22 year old son and almost 19 year old daughter. I have some experience, and I know what absolute forbidding does and does not do, and I believe from experience that teaching the right values, and then explaining why a particular situation is inappropriate but pushing the decision back to the child, and showing them our trust to make the right choice is far more effective.
Actually, I don’t just believe it, I know it as fact after allowing my daughter to choose whether watching Will and Grace on TV was appropriate or not. I explained what I would choose, but allowed (or rather made) her to choose either way for herself. She recognized the truth in my moral objection to Will and Grace and chose to stop watching. By the way, do you have a problem with TV programs like that, and if not, why not? It very actively promotes and endorses not only homo-sexuality, but also hetero-sexual promiscuity, in an amusing light thereby de-sensitizing our youth who simply see it as a comedy.
If Tyler Frost agreed to and then deliberately violated a rule, that is one thing, he deserves discipline in some form. If he attended a prom and did not break the rules, i.e. did not dance,and they did not play rock music (admittedly extremely unlikely), then he did not break rules. If breaking the rules is judged by him escorting a girlfriend even if he behaved as a perfect gentleman and rule abiding Christian, somebody is way over the top.
Interesting that the school is so strict on rules against dancing, yet they did not bar the boy from attending the school when he is living in a house with a step-father. Last time I read my Bible, God hated divorce. I believe he still does. But I accept that there are also extenuating circumstances where divorce is inevitable, or may be prior to a person being born again. Then too, Tyler Frost’s step-father may have married a widow, not a divorcee. But we don’t know that and should not judge them on that either.
I’m not sure God is smiling down on your judgmental comments.
As for rock music, God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. The music that was played, and songs sung by Moses and Miriam, David, Solomon and others are nothing like rock music. But wait! Neither are our hymns, contemporary music, and “pop”, or any other genre for that matter. So we are ALL wrong and listening to evil music. I have joked before that God created all kinds of music, but one. Satan created rap.
In spite of that, and my absolute dislike for rap and hip-hop, there are a lot of good, solid Christian bands who sing all different kinds of music, including rap and hip-hop. If a person might be reached and come to faith through a kind of music that somebody else does not like, does that mean that music is evil? Absolutely not!
If a young person listens to Christian rock and is touched by the lyrics, or horror of horrors, they listen to heavy metal, or rap, and hearing the lyrics, seeing the sincere testimony of a band are reached, does that mean they have been reached for Satan, and God is displeased? I don’t think so. God is pleased, and there is more rejoicing in heaven over one lost sheep who returns than every other righteous person in heaven. No matter how that lost sheep is found, or on which day, including the Sabbath.
As conservative, fundamentalist as I am, I have been a few times to The Big Ticket Festival in Gaylord MI, heard a lot of very loud music, not a single hymn, and seen, and participated in a lot of genuine worship around many different types of music, including rock, and yes, metal too.
Just because rock had it’s origins in a culture of dope-heads does not mean all rock is evil and Satanically inspired in rhythm and content. Not all Austrian immigrants to Germany with black hair and funny mustache’s are evil. Not every person who posts here and dislikes what you like, or disagrees with what you say is evil or wrong.

willoh

posted May 14, 2009 at 4:59 am

Legalism is, and always was an enemy of the gospel. Someone needs to think of the effect this action will have on the prom students. are we as Christians saying that they are all on a road to Hell? This whole head-set of counter culture Christianity has done more to drive people away from the cross than all the dances in the world.

Dana

posted May 15, 2009 at 9:39 pm

I think if Tyler Frost clearly understood the rules and consequences of his action and willfully broke them then in doing that, he broke a commitment that he made thereby putting himself in a position to be suspended. I do think that as Christians it is our responsibility to show ourselves approved, but I think that we need to go to the Bible for such guidance and try our own hearts by what is written in the precious word of God. Our Lord is gracious and kind and showed us mercy when we deserved none. I think that if people stuck strictly to His word and the wisdom there in our road map for life, then things like this wouldn’t be such an issue. We are to live for Him not ourselves we are to live for the spirit and not the flesh. Our trouble is not that we have strict codes of conduct to live by, our trouble is that we have one spirit that strives for things that please our Lord and another counterpart which is our flesh that grounds us in this world and all of “it’s delights” and has us make excuses for ourselves because we didn’t do anything that was “too bad.” We can’t have two masters we can’t be residents or ambassadors for Heaven when were too busy making life here on earth comfortable for ourselves taking control of our own life and destiny. It was a dance and it may have been genuinely innocent and I am not an advocate for causing our young people to lose their choice in going or not going but what I am saying is that we each make choices each and every day that have consequences for our lives. We all sin and fall short of the glory of God but I think it is our duty to our Lord and Savior to strive to be more like the Master every day. Not because we need to for our eternal lives no Jesus paid it all, but because we love our Lord, because we want to be righteous. This is why things like this continue to hit media because we receive the gift of salvation and the holy spirit and then we continue living as though nothing has changed and we are the same as everyone else. You should not choose to be an undercover christian, but should show through your actions and love that you carry Jesus within you always. People need not only to hear your witness but realize the change that has happened to you and want or wonder what has happened and how they too can receive the gift that you have. Always live your life with joy and thanksgiving putting others needs before you own. At least that is what I believe. I am a sinner saved by grace and grace alone I stumble and I fall every day but I pray that my tomorrows will be more blessed than today and repent that I may become closer to God as each day passes.

nwaocha ogechukwu

posted May 18, 2009 at 4:05 am

weather you like it or not, the school proprietor is 100% right. But i am also suggesting that he should help every of the school pupil with the below:
“An Exciting and Contemporary Interpretation of Symbolism in
Christianity.The Secret Behind the Cross and the Crucifix by Nwaocha
Ogechukwu is a fascinating and historical narration about the use of
symbolism in organized religion.
What do you think of when you look at the cross and the crucifix? Do they
hold sacred and religious value for you?
After reading Ogechukwu’s book, your perception may change about how the
church’s use of these symbols has been used for centuries to conceal facts
about their true origins. Ogechukwu reveals those findings in this stunning
expose
This easy to read, enlightening and academically sound book regarding the
symbolism and meaning of the cross in relation to religion leads to a
stunning conclusion. Learn more about the real nature of Christ’s death
and religion’s role in the symbolism at

Your Name

posted May 19, 2009 at 9:46 am

I think he made a good choice. Schools SHOULD NOT be able to control your outside life. They can try to teach you what THEY believe is right, but should not be able to force those rules outside of school. Maybe this situation will bring change, im hoping. He said that he has no regrets–he knew he would be suspended. Good for him, following his heart. Schools should not be able to control his life. What happens when he graduates? Walk around with his ears plugged and his eyes closed? This stuff is everywhere. There is nothing wrong with Christian Rock music. Also nothing wrong with hand-holding or kissing. It’s all where it leads to, but alot of people DO have self-control. Way to go, Tyler! You made a good choice :)

Gojogo

posted May 27, 2009 at 9:54 am

How can you guys call yourselves leaders of the free world? Restrictions on behaviour in any culture can be questioned but claiming your right to do so under freedom of speech and what not, is hypocrisy. And very convenient.

Robert R.

posted June 1, 2009 at 8:35 pm

The kid broke his word. He knew the consequences. I must have been in business too long. If a customer or a vendor barefacedly broke a term in the contract, I’d charge him the penalty. If he sued me, I’d win. If I broke a term of the contract, I’d totally expect to be penalized.
It doesn’t matter whether it was a victimless crime. If we think the consequences drive our ethical system, then we do not understand what Christ meant when he applied outward rules to an inward attitude. (e.g., Hating a problem in my heart is equivalent to murder even though there is not visible consequence.)
We need to think of this the same way Christ would. The issue is being obscured by the rule. Paul ordered slaves to obey their masters without qualification of their cruelty. He told citizens to obey the cruel Roman government. I do not care what the rule is. If he broke, he should expect to bear the consequences.

Sam

posted June 10, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Marie – great point about following God’s way. On the other hand, sarcasm doesn’t translate as well as direct communication when using the written media.
Homer – that was a great rebuke about being judgmental. Typically you see a perseveration of this, “Jesus-taught-us-not-to-judge” misapplication. That misinterpretation plays right into the hands of the moral relativism that is indirectly but literally killing people today. Judge the tree by its fruit. Show a brother his sin against you. Expel the immoral brother. All these require assessing the validity of a given moral stance, i.e. a form a judgment. In rebuking Marie, Homer was making a judgment about Marie’s judgmentalism. Homer was not judgmenTAL because there were no punitive literary devices deployed.
“School should not be able to control…” It obviously can’t – the kid went to prom. You’re not being controlled unless the consequence for non-compliance is too great. Theoretically, for the Christian, even prolonged torture and death is no comparison to eternity in heaven so we can’t be controlled. (Just manipulated too well and too often, I’m afraid)
Bottom line: The kid was paid the respect of being allowed to make his decision AND pay the consequences for it.

He's Free Now

posted June 25, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Whatever man. He’s graduated and is free from that school. Administrators can’t do a thing to him now. I say he should blast Metallica, KISS, System of a Down and AC/DC all night long.

Caroline

posted October 12, 2009 at 4:37 pm

This is one reason I was taken out of school and homeschooled, ridculous rules. In my own opinion I think these schools are dangerous for kids. They don’t prepare you to the real world. When your in a public school you have pregnant classmates,kids do pot for lunch,you have a rough time. When SOME(notice I didn’t say all) of these kids get into the real world they will be lost. They won’t know how cruel and horrible and suckish the world can be,and I think thats dangerous. Id rather be pregnant and be a little more prepared for adulthood then have never kissed a boy and not know some useful facts.
Some of those useful facts:(not all are from personal experience)
1.when you have sex,put two condoms on.
2.DON’T drink punch form the punch bowl at parties.
3.having some tequila won’t make you feel better,it will give you a huge hangover.
but these children will never have experienced this kind of thing. My guess is that they are more likely to do drugs,get pregnant and end up on the streets. But why listen to me? I’m only 13 so natuarlly so many people aren’t going to listen. But i thought I’d put my input out anyways. Hope you all have a good day.

E.

posted February 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I’m considering putting my children into the Heritage Christian School. After reading this article, I am even more excited about sending my children there. I’m so grateful that in today’s culture there are still Christian schools that are taking a stand for what’s truly Christian. God bless them!

Pingback: SparkLife » Going to Prom: And Other Stupid Ways to Get Suspended

G.

posted December 23, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Ok this is so stupid!
I never want to go to prom, but come on! His choice to go, NOT the school’s. I think the guy meant going to prom is bad, but might I remind him that he is not this guy’s parents? I’m an atheist, and I say the princpal has no right to suspend him.