Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Focus on the Family ceases publication of teen magazines Brio, Brio and Beyond, and Breakway

posted by Joanne Brokaw

BreakawayMagazine.jpgI got word this week that Focus on the Family will be ceasing publication of their teen magazines Brio, Brio and Beyond, and Breakaway. The last issues will be February 09.
A friend who works at one of the magazines told me that the Focus on the Family board approved a massive budget cut and the magazines were the victims. Focus is hoping that another ministry will pick up the magazines and keep them alive, either in print or online. But it’ll probably be too late for employees, who are done in January.
I’m not surprised to hear they’re folding. CCM Magazine ceased print publication earlier this year, and with the rising costs of printing and mailing, coupled with falling ad revenue and more online users, many print publications, from magazines to newspapers, are feeling the crunch. What is a shame is that Brio, Brio and Beyond, and Breakaway offered teens a high quality magazine with content relevent to a young Christian life. I don’t know where they’re going to find pop culture news, life stories and advice, and info about Christian music artists now. Tiger Beat? BOP? POPStar? TMZ.com?
From the comments I get when I post anything about the Jonas Brothers, I think they’re already burning up those mags anyway.
UPDATE: Brio creator and editor Susie Shellenberger launches new magazine for girls.
Visit Beliefnet’s Christian music blog, Gospel Soundcheck, daily for the latest news on your favorite Christian music artists as well as mainstream artists with ties to Christian music.

Your Name

posted November 20, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Maybe the fact that they had three different mags, all for teenagers, had something to do with why they couldn’t make a go of them? Just a thought.

Mark Weber

posted November 20, 2008 at 6:52 pm

It’s a tough time for any publisher, with newspapers and magazines facing major layoffs and in many cases closing down. No one is immune. We live in a new era when facebook and myspace are where people turn to for pop culture and music news, not a once a month magazine. Also, if you take a look at the average magazine rack at Wal-Mart or your local grocery store, there’s almost too many magazines available these days, and only the strongest can survive this harsh economic time. It’s no surprise to me that these three mags are folding because the market is just not big enough to support them. Think about it: if there are 20 million teens in America, how many of those want to read about Jeremy Camp and Krystal Meyers in a monthly magazine that they have to pay for? Chances are those teens are more concerned about the Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, Coldplay, and other secular stars. When I went to a Christian grad school and got a Master’s in Journalism, my uncle told me, “If you just write about Christian music, you limit yourself. Don’t do that.” I did that, and I couldn’t make money doing it. So I am changing course with my own career. In a perfect world, mags like Breakaway and CCM and others would flourish, but this is a horrible, fallen world with its priorities mixed up. People throw millions at Britney, Lindsay, Paris and others, while the market for Christian music is miniscule, just tiny, tiny, tiny. Sad, really, but true. Now I’ve got to go, I’ve got to get back on facebook.

Insider

posted December 3, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Just FYI, having 3 mags for teens had nothing to do with it. And these mags cover a lot more than music. The need and market for these types of publications are still strong.

Joanne Brokaw

posted December 3, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Insider, I’m sure it totally had to do with budgets. FOF, like most ministries, has seen a decline in their donations. Stuff has to go, and for whatever reason it was the teen mags. I know they’re looking for another ministry to pick them up. And yes, they were about much, much more than music. Music and lifestyle and sports and faith and more.
Thanks!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Jen

posted December 3, 2008 at 9:53 pm

I’m sitting here filling out a renewal for my Brio and Brio and Beyond and trying to subscribe to Breakaway. It was mailed to me this week. Why would they be sending out renewals if they are actually closing?
I’m going to call them to see if this rumor is true.

Joanne Brokaw

posted December 3, 2008 at 10:24 pm

That is an excellent point, Jen. And it’s not a rumor. It’s a fact. I spoke to two editors that I wrote for at both magazines, so indeed, both are done. Like I said, Focus was trying to find another ministry to pick up the magazines so that may be in the works and they’ve found a way to keep them going. Definitely check with them before renewing and let me know what you find out!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Your Name

posted December 12, 2008 at 11:37 pm

I am very disappointed with this news. My daughter was looking forward to “graduating” to Brio and Beyond. She could not wait to get the magazine. She would take it to school and share with others at her lunch table. (She attends public school) The magazine will be greatly missed. It contained great articles about teenage life for Christian kids. I will pray that someone will continue with this publication.

Luke

posted December 17, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Man, this stinks. I am 13 and I get breakaway, and I will Miss it!!!

Your Name

posted January 23, 2009 at 9:27 am

My daughter just received her most recent issue of Brio, announcing that Focus on the Family would no longer be producing the magazine. I must say that I am extremely disappointed in their decision and find it to be alarmingly short-sighted. While the articles on Christian music were fun and light-hearted reading, Brio also contained within its pages a sense of connection to a larger Christian community for many teen girls. My daughter, who hopes to travel on a short term mission trip, was always excited to read Brio’s articles relating experiences other teens had in the mission field. I would have much rather paid a higher subscription fee than to see Brio disappear or worse yet, potentially sacrifice high quality content for more worldly fare.

Joanne Brokaw

posted January 23, 2009 at 9:33 am

If I understand things, the problem, unfortunately, is there just isn’t enough money to pay for it all. Like every business and ministry, the money coming in is much less than the money going out. Most people don’t understand the incredible expense of putting together a magazine. The subscription costs basically pay for postage. What pays for the staff, articles, printing, etc. are advertising, or in the case of ministries, donations.
Last I heard Focus was looking for another ministry to pick up the teen magazines, so hopefully that’ll happen. I have written for both magazines and was disappointed to hear they were folding. They were great places for writers like me and the staff was incredible to work with.
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Lorraine

posted February 7, 2009 at 3:52 pm

My grandchildren really enjoy the magazines they get: Brio and Breakaway. I truly hope some other Christian organization will continue to publish them.

Donna

posted February 14, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I would have paid more for the magazine. I hope that this magazine will have a rebirth. With all of the trash magazines out there, my daughter really benefited from this magazine. Brio was/is a GREAT publication for young teens. I really hope it is offered again in the near future. My dauther was really disappointed! As was I.
Take care,
Donna

Jean Devries

posted March 12, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Wow! What a shame. My daughter has subscribed to Brio for years,
and was looking forward to a new subscription to Brio and Beyond!
What a disappointment. I would pay more also, to support this publication!

Your Name

posted March 16, 2009 at 11:21 am

I absolutely loved getting Brio and Beyond and would run to the mailbox everyday after to school, waiting for the next issue. Then I got the issue… the one where they said that there will be no more Brio! I held it in my hands, scared to open it for an hour! Brio has always been my favorite magazine. It combined all the things a teenage girl loves (fashion, guys, etc.) and God. I’m so disappointed to see it go…

Sara

posted March 22, 2009 at 9:57 pm

What about people like me who paid for 2 subscriptions to these magazines – paid for a whole year – in December? Anyone have any clue what I can do?

Maryclaire Mayes

posted March 23, 2009 at 7:34 am

when I called to renew they said they would refund for magazines paid for but not recieved.

Jerusha

posted May 21, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I am an online reader of Brio. I am really sad that Brio and Brio and Beyond have been stopeed. I found them soo useful and helped in difficult situations. I do thank God though for all the blessing that these magazines have been to me and for the team that laboured in the Lord.

gabby

posted June 29, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I know there are more important things to worry about with the country in a recession, but i hate it that Brio got shut down! This magazine was soo insiteful and it helped me with my relationship with God…i can’t even put it into words. I’ll miss it, but thanks for all y’all did (Brio) when it was up and running!

becky

posted October 18, 2009 at 11:35 am

please don’t stop Brio, its the only magazine my teenage daughter reads and values. she so looks forward to the articles and values the opinions from your writers.
don’t let evil society win!!!

Naomi

posted October 26, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I know, I was so disappointed! BRIO is a huge encouragement to me, and you’re right that there is nothing to turn to now.

Kelsey

posted November 16, 2009 at 5:00 pm

I used to recieve Brio and Beyond. The magazine was wonderful! It helped me to put down the other trash and it gave me something very interesting to read! It truly is a shame that they had to stop printing them. I wonder if there could have possibly been another way for them to save money or another thing fot them to cut.
My generation is lacking much-needed godly advice and insight. It’s sad that we are last on their list.(assuming so by their actions) I may be wrong about that, and I hope I am. But I see what culture and Godlessness is doing everyday in my school. I long for them to know Jesus loves them. There are other ways than through a magazine, and I know God has a plan in all this.
So I will trust Him. :) And I do hope, if Brio never gets printed again, that a great magazine like it comes along soon.

Dawn Warmbold

posted March 7, 2012 at 1:59 pm

My daughter was raised up reading Brio magazines, now she and her family are missionaries in Russia and they have a 14 year old daughter . We would like to get ahold of some old issues of the brio magazine to send to them for our grand daughter, can you help me get ahold of some old issues?

tori belisle

posted March 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Im sooooo sad that they stoped printing brio. I never got a chance to read it. But Iheard it was a good thing to read and a great encourage.

Sandy

posted September 23, 2013 at 12:55 am

I’m currently 31 years old and just out of the blue remembered Breakaway magazine and searched for it… and found this.

It’s a shame. I remember I used to LOVE when my Breakaway magazine would arrive. I’d spend days reading and re-reading it, and kept them even when they were years old.

And something many people probably don’t know: I used to get it for free, since I was a missionary kid living in Central America. Thats something Breakaway magazine and Focus on the Family would do to bless missionary teens and their families. My sister also got her Brio magazine this way, and is something we’ll always be thankful for.

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »