Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Shocker! Clay Aiken comes out of the closet

posted by Joanne Brokaw

ClayAikenPeoplecover.jpgI know this will come as a shock to many of you, so sit down in case you faint, but Clay Aiken has come out of the closet and confirmed that he is, indeed, gay.
Um. Didn’t we pretty much already know that?
Aiken comes out in a cover story in the issue of People magazine that hits newstands Friday, and he says he expects the news to overwhelm his fans.
I’m pretty sure his fans already guessed he was gay, even though he fathered a child, via in vitro fertilization, with his best friend, music producer Jaymes Foster (sister of music mogul David Foster). Aiken is committed to taking on the responsibilities of fatherhood, and photos of him with his son, Parker, accompany the People story.
Neither the AP report or the short preview at People.com say if Aiken is involved in a relationship.
While Aiken has never been involved in the Christian music industry, he is a professed born-again Christian, so if his fans have questions it’ll probably be about how he reconciles his faith and his lifestyle. Kind of like CCM veteran Ray Boltz, who also recently came out of the closet.
Are you surprised that Aiken is gay? Do you care? Does Aiken being a born-again Christian but not having any ties to the Christian music industry affect Christian music at all?
RELATED POST
NEW: Christian artist Brian Bates shares his thoughts on how to respond to Ray Boltz, Chris Aiken coming out of the closet
Ray Boltz comes out of the closet

Annapurna Moffatt

posted September 24, 2008 at 5:10 pm

I’m not really into Christian music, but I read this blog every now and then and I thought I’d put in my two cents Canadian (which is about the same in American dollars). And here it is:
Way to go, Clay!!! Although seeing two women or two men together like that is a bit weird to me (maybe because I’m not exactly used to it), I’m not against gay people and I totally support them, be they famous or not.

Theresa Daniels

posted September 24, 2008 at 10:42 pm

This news came as a complete shock and surprise because people have been speculating,talking,mocking and hinting that he’s gay for years since he was on American Idol.I’m shocked because I wonder,why did he wait so long to come out and why did he mislead his fans so much?This whole thing doesn’t make sense to me at all and it boggles my mind as to why he told his mom first FOUR years ago and then waited so long to tell the American public?I’m sad he’s gay because I thought he was one of the few people in the music world that wasn’t gay and then now he comes out of the closet and says he’s gay.Fostering a child out of wedlock and now this just absolutely makes no sense whatsoever to me at all.I will pray for him through all of this,but I don’t think I will be supporting him with my dollars from now on.

Gayle Bunn

posted September 25, 2008 at 7:05 am

Why do people care if a person is gay or not? His voice is absolutely beautiful and I will continue to buy his CDs regardless. He entertains me with his music and that’s what matters to me. If we knew any singer’s background – gay or not – we probably would be very surprised and even shocked. Again….it’s all about the music for me.

PhoenixOrion

posted September 25, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Honestly, Clay Aiken announcing that he’s gay is like a cheetah announcing that it has spots and can run really fast.
“While Aiken has never been involved in the Christian music industry, he is a professed born-again Christian, so if his fans have questions it’ll probably be about how he reconciles his faith and his lifestyle.”
It is rather irritating when people refer to homosexuality as a “lifestyle”. There is no one single “homosexual lifestyle”, just as there is no one single “heterosexual lifestyle”. There are homosexuals who are promiscuous and go to bed with someone different every night of the week, and there are homosexuals who have loving, committed, monogamous relationships. Similarly, there are heterosexuals who are promiscuous and sleep around, and there are heterosexuals who have loving, committed, relationships. I sincerely doubt that Clay Aiken is a homosexual who sleeps around. I would think that if he has/had homosexual relations, they have/will be/been in the context of a committed relationship. I don’t see why Christians can’t have loving, committed, monogamous homosexual relationships like they can have similar heterosexual relationships. It is my view that when the Bible addresses instances of homosexual behavior, it is addressing homosexual ritual sex and prostitution in pagan temples. It says nothing about loving, committed, monogamous homosexual relationships. If Clay Aiken is a committed Christian, it is unlikely he will engage in promiscuity as a homosexual….rather, he will most likely have a loving, committed, monogamous homosexual relationship.
-A Heterosexual Agnostic

Rober Moseley Sr. of Calvert County,Md.

posted September 25, 2008 at 3:32 pm

I like how the Liberal people are so quick to misquote the Bible. Read a phrase and give a slanted opinion.It’s as bad as learning and quoting scripture and thinking everybody elser but me.
Bob Sr.

Joanne Brokaw

posted September 25, 2008 at 4:16 pm

PhoenixOrion – I’m sorry I irritated you with “homosexual lifestyle.” I just was making the point that he was living a homosexual life – ie: relationships with other men – vs a hetersexual life – ie: relationships with women. If you have a better phrase to use, by all means let me know! :)
All the best
Joanne
host of the GS blog

PhoenixOrion

posted September 25, 2008 at 4:46 pm

I know what point you were making. It’s just that when people (usually people who disagree with homosexuality) use the phrase “homosexual lifestyle”, they are usually talking about gays who sleep around, use drugs, and party excessively. There are gays who do those things, but there are also gays who don’t have sexual relations outside of committed, monogamous relationships. I suppose it would be better to use the term “decision to have relationships with other men” because that is a much more general phrase-it can refer to a life of homosexual promiscuity OR a life of homosexual monogamy. You could say that Clay Aiken and Perez Hilton are both gay, but they are opposite ends of the gay spectrum-they obviously live different “gay lifestyles”.

jodiann moodie

posted September 25, 2008 at 9:41 pm

this is a shoker, clay i’m very diappointed.dude, what are u tryin to tell other young boys and your son that it is okay to to love a woman get her pregnant and then break her heart by tellin her that your gay? but one thing for sure i’ll pray for u and God still loves u. he always did and he always will.

PhoenixOrion

posted September 25, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Actually, if you read any of the stories, Clay didn’t “love a woman and get her pregnant”. He actually had the child via artificial insemination. The woman who carried his child was actually a good friend of his, and they never had sex.

jan

posted September 28, 2008 at 11:22 pm

I normally don’t respond to things such as this, but it seems that since Rock Hudson “came out” , that suddenly half the world is gay!!!
Don’t you know that Hollywood starts most of this garbage on tv that urges this type of behavior on. Same thing with gambling. Little by little, they plant a seed, and bamm there you go. Drinking, so on and on. If they can get plant in in your mind..then the old devil makes you believe you are. We all are born with weaknesses and sins, and my friend, the Lord is there to save us from our sins if we will just turn from our wicked ways and follow Him. We have to repent, repent, repent, and realize that we are lost and undone. and our righteousness are as filthy rags. We are nothing without Him..We are, as a nation in pretty dire shape right now on the verge of some very serious consequences if we don’t realize that we are destroying ourselves.
Lord, we need your help!

Motorokr

posted September 29, 2008 at 4:25 pm

I am shocked! that other people are shocked! The woman who had his child is actually a big wig record director. I won’t mention her name since it’s not my place, but I think it’s a beatiful thing. Since most people say that man and woman are the norm to reproduce, well there you go.
-Motorokr

Justus

posted November 9, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Well I would say that the title of this article and even more so the first three paragraphs, tells me exactly where YOU are coming from so I will just leave it at that.

Joanne Brokaw

posted November 9, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Justus, where am I coming from? Uh … how about everyone already knew he was gay LOL . I like Clay Aiken, but seriously. His announcement it came as a surprise to very few people.
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Unknown

posted October 3, 2009 at 10:26 pm

I know the bible says to love everybody but sin is still sin. whether you look at it from a biblical perspective or a secular perspective. More defined.. Homosexuality is a sin God said in his word was a stench that reached the heaven. God literally send fire and brimestone to burn down 2 cities because he couldnt take it. Yet you have “so called christians” propagating the same thing God hates? God said he will give them up to vile affection men with men and women with women working unseemingly against their own nature, defiling themselves one with another. Being a christian is denying ones self to follow Christ.
Another thing you have to keep in mind that satan can do alot of things. He can cause you to think otherwise(decieve you) and he can also set up his own people to make you think they are christians and disrupt God’s true plan(the bible says he appears as an angel of light as well)
Don’t fall into the trap of evil. We all sin but we have to live our lives that is pleasing to God and not ourselves

lusGuirediems

posted March 3, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Hello. And Bye.

jburger

posted June 24, 2011 at 6:44 pm

let’s just remember folks that God Willing, homosexual orientation is *not* sinful, it’s how one acts on it, and though many ‘lifestyle choices’ are associated with homo or heterosexuality that may Lord Have Mercy lead to ‘trouble’, ‘ruin’, or ‘sin’, we cannot judge that clay nor anyone else that happens to be lgbqt will ‘act’ on such things in an immoral way! perhaps he’s just being honest, prayers for him to overcome this hardship and all suffering from such to *still* be reverent unto The LORD and His Word….though marriage may be for procreation, etc. and familial purposes, we cannot assume every ‘homo-oriented relationship’ needs be sexual….friendship n fellowship should only have such love, n i pray that indeed these n all folk of any sexuality stick to God’s Will N Word on the matter n Lord Have Mercy be i wrong or offbase, PLGB

jburger

posted June 24, 2011 at 6:45 pm

n LORD Have Mercy for my own trouble/struggles, be i ‘judgy’, etc. w/ such things as relationships and orientation, or if i still ‘mess up’ such things or anything somehow, that i may be reverent and true unto The LORD PLGB and praise GOD

jburger

posted June 24, 2011 at 6:47 pm

and do recall ‘unknown’ that there was apparently much unspecified sin occurring in those two cities before the issues of lust and craze after God’s two Messengers! Lord Have Mercy PLGB, may all repent n be healed as in chron, 1jn, etc. PLGB

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »