Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

5 things I learned from Jonas Brothers fans

posted by Joanne Brokaw

JonasBrosRollingStonecover.jpgA few weeks ago I did a post titled 5 things I hate about the Jonas Brothers. A few of my readers with a basic jr. high school education understood that I was talking about the commercial empire that is the JoBros (since I came right out and said “5 things I hate about the Jonas Brothers -the JoBros commercial empire, that is”), and that I was criticizing the music industry and the effects that it can have on a pop star. Not criticizing the band.
For the rest of the commenters … well, let’s just say that I learned a few things from the Jonas Brothers fans.

1) You risk life and limb when you come between an 11-year-old and her favorite pop star. I was called lame, a hater, gay, jealous, stupid and told to shut my dumb mouth. And those are just the comments from pre-teens that didn’t contain four letter words. At least I’m in good company. Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jim DeRogatis, who kindly referenced my blog post in his column, also took a beating from JoBros fans.
2) The youth of America couldn’t spell their way out of a dictionary factory. From accusations that I wish I was as “famouse” as the Jonas Brothers to variations on words like wat (for what) and sumthing (for something), I needed a teen dictionary just to get through some of the comments. Has anyone has ever explained to these jr. highers the difference between their, there, and they’re?
3) The vast majority of young people don’t know how to formulate a persuasive argument. A few did a great job of going point by point to show me what an idiot they thought I was, and they did it respectfully and calmly. The rest only TYPED IN CAPS, called me names, used curse words, and basically ranted and raved about how HOTTTTTT the Jonas Brothers are and how STUPID I was. Can someone please teach these kids how to share an opinion without resorting to yelling? (Just a thought: since school is starting up again, this would be a great writing exercise for English class. Take my original post and have students write an essay either agreeing or disagreeing with me. If you’re a teacher and do that, let me know. I’d love to see how that works out.)
4) Despite the fact that I was roasted for suggesting that the teen magazines’ constant coverage of the guys as sex symbols was in conflict with their purity rings – something I never said the boys were guilty of doing themselves, but there’s no question the magazines print what sells, and today it’s sex – more than a few teens actually understood my point. That makes me optimistic that some JoBro fans actually think about their media choices and the effects that media can have on them.
5) Somewhere in the media hype, more tweens than I thought get the connection between the JoBros and God. They might not fully understand the gospel, but the band has opened the door to at least be able to share the message, if the mainstream media ever gives them a chance.
In any event, just to clear the air: I don’t hate the Jonas Brothers. I hate what the industry is doing to them – running them ragged, exploiting them, treating them like a commodity. And I hope that they come out on the other side intact, and aren’t sacrificed on the altar of the record industry’s almighty dollar. I appreciate that they’ve been able to not only get the attention of, but develop relationships with, folks like Ellen DeGeneres. If three teen guys can use some bubble gum pop music to tell people that God loves them, well then, I’m behind it.
But I will be praying for them. The music industry is as harsh a mission field as any African desert.
RELATED POSTS
Joe Jonas, Taylor Swift, Camilla Belle and the mixed message of celebrity romance
5 things I hate about the Jonas Brothers (commercial empire, that is)

kaylaharrold

posted September 9, 2008 at 10:19 am

hey what’s up i really love you thejonasbrothers

Dave Weiss

posted September 9, 2008 at 10:43 am

Well said Joanne.
God bless,
Dave

Dave Weiss

posted September 9, 2008 at 11:27 am

The great news about your beating though is that if we in the church could direct kids passions toward Jesus, like they are devoted to the JoBros, it would change the world. This is why youth ministry is so vital. That our kids within the church would be salt and light in the most vital mission field in our nation… our public schools. Remember 80 percent of everyone who comes to Christ does it by the age of 18. Support your local youth pastor!

Sadeeq

posted September 9, 2008 at 11:31 am

Lets make it clear that the jonas brothers are fully aware of what the record industry are doing to them and in my opinion its nothing bad. Disney channel can market nearly anything and everything they come across but these boys have talent and the fact that their full blown christians doesn’t give people the right to critizise and judge them. Kids nowadays are losing taste in music and are resorting to people like Paris hilton and Hiedi montag but i feel these kids are actually one of a kind. Obviously they love the attention thats what being a celebrity is loving the attention loathing the intrudity and lack of privacy thats what its all about. Really in conclusion i think your beyond from right about you opinion about the jonas brothers and i hope you take what i’m saying right now and apply it to your thoughts instead of planting artificial facts into your head.
Not so sincerely
12yr old Sadeeq Ali.

Stina

posted September 9, 2008 at 11:51 am

Don’t you just hate that tween lingo? I always try to use concise sentences when I make a comment especially if it’s about the Jonas Brothers cause I am a fan and not in the tween/teen age group.
I read your other article and I liked it. This one was good too.
And to clear things up I still have trouble with the different there tenses. I always have to think before I use one. And I’m 21.

vicki

posted September 9, 2008 at 1:11 pm

i love the jo bros

Anonymous

posted September 9, 2008 at 4:05 pm

u just shouldnt rite bout da jonas brothers if ur gonna hate on dem
u learned da 1st time
da fans r always gonna stick up 4 them

Samantha

posted September 9, 2008 at 4:06 pm

i love jb wit all my hearts

Nikke

posted September 9, 2008 at 4:27 pm

i live you joe you are soo hot
i got all of you’re pic i love you wiht all my heart
i love you soo much i love you
you are a hottie

Nikke

posted September 9, 2008 at 4:30 pm

I LOVE YOU GUYS SO A HOTTIE

jo_swim_6@msn.com

posted September 9, 2008 at 5:02 pm

I am a huge Jonas fan but I totally understood what you were saying in the last article. Just for the record though not all of JB’s fans are tweens who cant spell. I’m 18 and the one thing that annoys me is that everyone just assumes all of their fans are tweeny boppers. I know tons of fans who are over the age of 16 and I just wish people would stop assuming that only young girls are fans. Alot of the younger fans can get on our nerves though, that is for sure. Anyways just thought I would respond.
And Oh I love the Jo Bros! All of them!

gabrielle

posted September 9, 2008 at 5:04 pm

while i understand your point when you say you hate what the industry is doing to the jonas brothers, not the acutal jonas brothers, you have to be pretty immature to say the things you said about “the vast majority of young people” of america. come on, who is acting like THEY’RE in high school now?

samantha

posted September 9, 2008 at 5:07 pm

some of these people commenting are just proving her point. why don’t you actually try to understand (even if you don’t agree) what she’s saying? we know you love the jonas brothers. who doesn’t?

Anonymous

posted September 9, 2008 at 6:41 pm

I completely understood your previous article and I am infact a major Jonas Brothers fan myself. I would also like to point out that I am 18 and that not all of their fans are under the age of 15. What annoys me most about the assumption that all of their fans are ‘tweeny boppers’ is the connotations that come with that. I know alot of their fan base are younger but not all of us are unable to formulate an argument or use the correct grammar… (although I always seem to pick up on the missuse of their, they’re and there!)
Anyway thankyou for posting these and for putting up with millions of misspelt, grammatically incorrect rants.

Anonymous

posted September 9, 2008 at 7:36 pm

ok so i totally love the jonas brothers!! they’re so hott and they’re my insperation!! and btw(that’s short for by the way if you didn’t know) the jonas brothers are who i look up too!! they really are good singers and are Christians and have those rings for a reason. They’re not stupid to have sex like you talked about i think the Jonas Brothers are smarter then that!! so don’t go sayin that they’re only wearing those to make people think that!! cause i truly believe they aren’t like that!! =P so you know what don’t go sayin stuff like that!! by the way I LOVE THE JONAS BROTHERS WITH ALL MY HEART!! and i may be a teenager but that doesn’t mean anything!! oh and us teens use abrivations for words bc we’re so use to textin so stop blabbin on about some stupid “teen book” bc really you should know the stupid abrivations!!
I LOVE THE JONAS BROTHERS!!

lia

posted September 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm

I think you are right. I too am a Jonas Brothers fan, but I won’t criticize people on there opinion.

Sarah Deringer

posted September 10, 2008 at 8:18 am

I see your point about the music industry taking people with great talent and using them to make money, but I, an already-Christian 20 year old as a sophomore in college, do believe that the Jonas Brothers are being a great light unto the world through God’s spotlight.
I could only hope that they can stand up to the pressures that are being placed upon them from day to day. Look at where Miley Cyrus has fallen at times as well as the many others in the past who were Christian and sinned. But let’s look deeper at the picture, we ALL fall short. NONE of us are perfect.
Therefore, I think it’s time that we Christians stop tearing one another apart through judgements and accusations, and I think it’s time that we start working together (young AND old, rich AND poor, smart AND less-educated, men AND women, etc.) and just shine the light of God. After all, Jesus didn’t die on the cross for us to make fun of each other’s music choices; He died on the cross to take away our sins and so that we could have the choice to make on whether we wanted to spend Eternity with Him or not.
Thank you, and I will keep rockin’ for Jesus (with the Jonas Brothers too),
Sarah D.

Jonas Brothers SPAZ!

posted September 10, 2008 at 10:29 am

Haha, I absolutely love this article! I also loved the last one, you really do have a point, and those little kids who can’t spell really just aren’t mature. You’re totally right, it’s easy to see what’s going on. The Jonas Brothers are amazing guys, but nothing was like it used to be.
Sincerely, Jonas Brothers SPAZ!

Joanne Brokaw

posted September 10, 2008 at 11:43 am

>>not all of their fans are under the age of 15

christina always knows

posted September 10, 2008 at 3:54 pm

i would just like to point out that not all Jonas brothers fans are 11 years old and completely immature. i know a lot of people of all ages that like the Jonas brothers and we don’t just like them because they are hot. for most of us we appreciate them musically and as people and i know for me at least they really are an inspiration but i do see your point about the media exploiting them and things. i hate that whenever Disney finds someone or a band with talent they market them like there’s no tomorrow and then that’s how they end up with all the 11 year old screaming fans because you just can’t go anywhere without seeing there faces. but i do believe that the Jonas brothers have the strength to make it through and hopefully sometime down the road get the respect they deserve from the rest of the music industry. these guys are amazing role models and i think that they will be fine.

Samantha

posted September 11, 2008 at 5:35 am

1. There are fans all ages i’m 14 my cousins that like them are 18 20 7 and 9 so you can’t just say they are all young people that like them cause that’s not true.
2. You have one thing right and it’s the fact that you can’t come between us girls and the Jonas Brothers because we will bring you down!

kelsey donlon

posted September 11, 2008 at 10:43 pm

i love this blog, i’m a teen who lovees the jonas brothers, but i totally get what your talking about. they have so much hype that everyone knows they’ll be has-beens within the next couple of years. sad, but true.

kara

posted September 12, 2008 at 4:15 pm

THE JONAS BROTHERS ARE AMAZING. YES I AM TYPING IN CAPSLOCK.. WHY DID YOU EVEN HAVE TO MAKE THE 5 THINGS I HATE??? WHAT DID THEY EVER DO TO YOU? LETS SEE NOTTHINNGG!! i dont like miley cyrus but you dont see me going around making mean videos about her do you? PLEASE STOP HATING THEM>>they r very nice great rolemodels and VERY VERY talented. I LOVE YOU JONAS BROTHERS !!!
~kara MA

kara

posted September 12, 2008 at 4:17 pm

and they wont be has beens. if your a teen that loves them..keep supporting them FOREVER.. they are legends… totally gonna be like the beatles. keep on rockin boys
kara from MA

Audrey

posted September 13, 2008 at 1:20 am

Theresa

posted September 13, 2008 at 6:39 pm

and i totally agree with what audrey said.
“I’m a huge Jonas Brothers fan, and more than half the time I am ashamed to see what other fans do or say regarding them. I think the ones that curse others out are just ridiculous, and it makes them look idiotic. It really does not help that they do not seem to understand the basic conventions of grammar and spelling either. I hope you know that not all fans are like that. While I realize a majority of them are 12 years old and younger, there are still many of us older ones that are mature enough not to go crazy whenever someone insults the boys.
I think your article was great, and I completely agree with you. I think Disney is running them ragged and they really need to take a break. I understand that they have a touring contract and various other commitments, but I think they need to rest before they end up burning themselves out.”

Kara

posted September 15, 2008 at 3:16 pm

I agree.
I’m not very good at typing to be quite honest so if you want to point out my mispelled words that’s fine by me.
I agree with you in saying don’t come in between a Jonas fan and the Jonas Brothers, I was meeting them in August and when I came out from Joe’s birthday party thrown by Team Jonas with special guests the Jonas Brothers and told some of the others fans thinking they would be happy for me – let’s just say they weren’t. They called me names and even tried to take my meet and greet wristband for later that night. It was disturbing.
But, for the most part their fans are grateful and love the boys and aren’t completely and creepily obsessed and sleep on the streets for 16 hours downtown Toronto.. or fly outside of the country to see them. I’ve done both.. and more things.. which I don’t regret.
These boys mean so much to me and have helped me through some very hard times with loss and even getting me back into school [I’m 16] and I can’t thank them enough.
Also, “They might not fully understand the gospel”
I took that very offensive but, noticed you had the word might in there afterwords which made it OK.
Obviously, I believe the Jonas Brothers are Christian; I am too. But, they don’t put out Christian music. There is a difference.
The Jonas Brothers have been put out into the main stream and I think they are doing incredibly well for themselves in trying to “get out” of the Disney image without going out in partying and other things along that lines.
And if anyone posts comments like; “I HATE YOU!” or stuff along that lines; they don’t hate you. They hate that you’re right because you are… we all know teens will move onto the mext big thing which will be Demi Lovato and leave the Jonas Brothers behind. I mean look at Miley Cyrus, The Hansons, and New Kids On The Block. They still have fans but, not MASSIVE crowds.
I can honestly say I’ll be a Jonas Brothers fan forever but, realiztically not everyone will be.
I think I’m rambelling?
Anyway;
God Bless!
-Kara

Joanne Brokaw

posted September 15, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Kara, why would you be offended that I would say some Jonas fans “might not fully understand the gospel”? The band doesn’t use their platform to evangelize. But they do a great job of showing love, which is the first step. So I think a lot of fans understand that there’s something different about the guys and connect that with their faith, but don’t really understand that it’s a relationship with Jesus thing. The band doesn’t get much opportunity to share specifics like that, but that’s OK because I think they’re tilling soil for the seeds to planted later.
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Steven

posted September 16, 2008 at 4:16 pm

Hey! The Jona Brothers are a really great addition to our world and provide alot of insiration and motivation to be the bwest persons we can be.
I am so glad I’ve got to know about them and look forward wathching their careeres and influtence grow.

Mary

posted September 18, 2008 at 12:01 am

I read the original article as well as this one. Thanks for the clarification of some points. I do understand your frustration with the childish nature of the responses you received and I am certain you are not kidding. We belong to the Jonas Brothers Fan CLub and MySpace page and I actually see similar whining, complaining, bad language, poor grammar, and the like. I can’t get over this. One would think you could go to the Jonas Brothers Fan CLub site or MySpace and see nothing but love, constructive and meaningful comments, praise, and more. But instead, it is often the contrary. Go figure. Why pay that kind of money if you are not really a true fan. I mean, they work their tails off providing fabulous entertainment, wonderful role-model behavior, philanthropy, and positive messages. They have improved the lives of many people, as stated by many comments I’ve read, by both inspiration and charitable giving. Their fan site or Myspace doesn’t deserve to be polluted with such negativity. And they shouldn’t have to be confronted with it. The message I would like all these so-called fans to get is this…either behave like the fan the Jonas Brothers deserve or go find another band to complain about.

H.C.

posted November 10, 2008 at 11:37 pm

I just wanted to say thanks again for your help and to tell you that my dad let me get a Jonas Brothers cd. I really like it. My dad saw them preform live and seems to be okay with them now. He likes the fact that they have no tattoos or piercings and that they dress decent. So I just wanted to say that and thank you again because you really helped by answering my questions.

Joanne Brokaw

posted November 11, 2008 at 8:46 am

HC – I’m glad I could help! I don’t know how old you are, but I was also thinking that you might like Mission Six. They are very vocal about God, and are like the Jonas Bros but younger.
Also, there are some Disney Incubator artists who are Christian – Jessie Daniels, The Rubyz, MIssion Six, Cali. You can probably list to some music online.
All the best!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Joc

posted February 17, 2009 at 11:53 pm

I know this article was from awhile ago, but I just read it and found it very interesting. I am a 15-year-old and I had to laugh when you complained about the bad grammar and language of these fans, many of which are my age. I have to wonder whether they go to school at all! I have to say, I am a huge Jonas Brothers fan, mostly because they truly are strong Christians. Everyone has their own(notice-correct grammar)opinions on what a Christian is. From the beginning of their career, they have made it evident that they love God and share a deep bond with him. They did some Christian songs and they were absolutely wonderful. As much as I wish they would go back to strictly Christian songs, I have to be happy for them and their success level because I know that they are very happy and thankful for the opportunities they have been given. If you do research on these boys, you will see that they love the Lord and want to obey him, and basically that is what it comes down to; the music issue set aside. My opinion is that they have done a pretty good job of staying clean cut and they are still gentlemen who praise the Lord for their success. I believe that they have taught people about God’s love. I know they have taught me a lot about not hiding my faith in God and not being afraid to be different. I look up to them as role models. I know not everyone agrees with me as to the fact that they are strong Christians because some of things they do. But I have to say that if someone is Christian, it doesn’t mean they’re perfect. But the fact that they try their hardest to be perfect is noteworthy. And I don’t think they necessarily need to be in a Christian band in order to be a Christian. I think the JoBros can still be a regular band who follow the Lord in their everyday lives as long as they do just that. The purity ring issue is another thing I respect them for. And whether the Rolling Stone cover goes against that issue, I’m not going to decide. I still love them for wearing the rings and following them, as I truly believe they do. I think it’s refreshing to see that as boys these ages, they have great respect for each other, their family, and for God as I don’t see that with any boys my age. The love they show for each other is wonderful and sometimes I wish fans would learn from them in that way. Please don’t get the idea that this is just another boyband with obsessed and crazed girl fans. They may be, but they also have fans like me who respect the qualities they have that make them so admirable. Mary said it perfectly when she said “behave like the fan the Jonas Brothers deserve”. I see so many tween girls screaming frantically for these boys, yet don’t know what they stand for. And, many times they go against exactly what the boys believe in in order to defend them. This makes no sense to me at all because if anyone were a true fan of them, they would know what they stand for, respect it, and try to live up to that when really these girls don’t give their actions a second-thought as long as they can get next to these guys. I don’t understand how this adds up. I admit that they have gotten swept up into the crazy Hollywood scene, and I pray for them daily that they get out of it alright. I know everything they’ve done hasn’t reflected exactly what God may want, but I know deep down that these boys are doing their best to live for the Lord outside of the Hollywood scene, as I can see in their modesty, and respect for each other. I agree with you that what the industry is doing to the guys is somewhat wrong. It all comes down to the money issue and what will sell better and how much more money people can make off a sexual add than off a godly add. And that truly disgusts me. I really hope that Disney, as we all know is not the same industry as it once was, gives them a break. I know they want to make money and I realize they do it all in the boys’ best interests, but is money really worth risking everything you stand for and everything God wants for you? It isn’t. I know they will realize one day that Hollywood is not the place they should be if they feel pressured to live a different lifestyle because of what everyone else believes. I truly believe they are intelligent enough to figure out that God has always been there for them and will continue to provide them with what’s best for them in the end. I can only hope I get a chance to tell these boys myself just how much more appealing they are in my eyes when they go the Christian route and forget about the conformities of the world. I’m so sorry this is so long but I’m just so passionate about these boys because I feel a connection with them and I just want them to be able to live their dreams and be successful in a way God would be proud of. I’m not saying they aren’t doing that now. I’m sure God is proud of them in many ways. I know God has everything all planned out and we have to trust him to see where he’s going to go with it. I know he’ll work it out for good for them. I’ve learned so many things from them and it’s a blessing that they’ve come into my life. Now, I can only pray that they once again realize that the ways of God are far more important than the ways of people. I love them and respect them and pray that they choose the right way. I know they will.

Joanne Brokaw

posted February 18, 2009 at 9:14 am

Joc, that was a very thoughtful response and I thank you for it! You made a great point about them being good role models for things like respecting their family. That’s something I really hadn’t thought about. In today’s pop culture, it’s cool to diss your parents and be at odds with them, but these guys really do respect their parents and each other.
Thanks for such a well-written comment! Very nice!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Chelsea

posted April 23, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Okay I just read the other article you wrote about the 5 things you hate about the Jonas Brothers. One I am glad you made it clear on what you don’t like, I think you are right the media tends to stray away from their purity or make fun of it (which I don’t get). Two, I am still a little confused about the whole kissing thing. I get that you aren’t suppose to go around making out with everyone, but what if you think you are meant to be with someone and you date them and you realize they aren’t? Three, I agree with you a lot of fans of theirs make us (other fans) look bad.
I think they are trying to stay more mainstream because they can get more publicity and give Christianity a good name and help lead people to the Lord. They did for me in fact. I do worry sometimes that they aren’t spiritual enough, but hey I don’t know their lives. Their father is a pastor so he probably helps keep them in line throughout the day.

Your Name

posted June 5, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I completely aggree with almost everything you said in both articles. I am not a big JB fan so you don’t have to worry about me screaming at you lol. I did want to point out though that even though the Jonas Brothers claim to be Christians,they seem to have strayed away from the whole Christians in a band image and more to a sex symbol image like you said. I have never seen them thank God at an awards show even though many of the non-Christians thank Him. I also read the Brio Magazine where many fans asked for them to be interviewed. Their publicist responded that the boys would not do the interview because they were focusing more on music now instead of their religeous beliefs. This leads me to believe that they have in fact strayed away from the path of righteousness. The only place I do dissagree with you in is the part where you said, “The music industry is as harsh a mission field as any African desert.” These boys are incredibly rich now and are probably enduring very few hardships so I wouldn’t compare them to the many missionaries giving up so much to do the Lord’s work.

Joanne Brokaw

posted June 5, 2009 at 6:26 pm

You’re right, being a missionary in Africa is definitely more difficult physically than being a missionary in the music industry. But the spiritual battle, the struggles and temptations, the mental exhaustion – you’d be surprised how similar environments that are hostile to the gospel can be from that perspective.
Thanks!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Hannah

posted June 18, 2009 at 9:59 am

Trust me the Jonas Brothers DO take the time and devot it to God. They are wonderful and amazing guys. And they haven’t forgotten who they are as individuals or where they came from.

Leanne

posted February 15, 2012 at 8:54 am

I agree with you this is true, I think the Jonas brothers are great and they still stay as family and pray.
by the way I’m 15 and sill I understand about teens writing that way it’s so annoying