Lydia Bean’s post today, Jena is America, is a strong statement — and a truthful one. I’m always fascinated by frequent comments that racism is now much more subtle in America today. Well, one place racism is definitely not subtle is in the criminal justice system. Overt and very stark racial disparities are a matter of daily occurrence when it comes to law enforcement, the judicial process, and the prison system. And almost anyone who actually works with those systems is acutely aware of that fact. Lydia Bean knows that firsthand from her experience in Texas, and her organization had a key role on bringing the Jena situation to national attention. We should thank Friends of Justice for that.
One last thing: The biblical bias toward the poor suggests that the truth about any society is better seen at the bottom of the social order than at the top. How the most weak and vulnerable are treated is the best measure of a society’s righteousness according to the prophets. And most of those involved with the criminal justice system are, indeed, at the bottom of the society. So yes, Jena is America.
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
- More blogs to enjoy!!!
- Why I Work for Immigration Reform (by Patty Kupfer)
- Audio: Jim Wallis on “Value Voters” on The Tavis Smiley Show
- Verse of the Day: ‘peace to the far and the near’
- Daily News Digest (by Duane Shank)
- Voice of the Day: Donders on Jesus’ Approach
- God’s Custodians (by Jim Wallis)
- Slowing the Electric Slide Toward Global Warming (by Ginny Vroblesky)
- Verse of the Day: The Armor of God
- Voice of the Day: Freire on Knowledge
- Xavier on Mary Nelson: Questions from a Community Development Veteran
- appliance repair denton tx on The Undocumented Body of Christ /by Tim Kumfer/
- do go dong ky, do go phong khach, do go phong ngu, dong ho go, mua ban do go, do go noi that, ban ghe go huong dong ky, do go dong ky bac ninh , do go noi that van phong, sap gu tho dong ky, do go tu nhien, mua ban do go my nghe on Jim Wallis: God Hates Inequality
- Does the Bible Mandate Obama’s Minimum Wage Law? on Jim Wallis: God Hates Inequality
- Does the Bible Mandate Obama's Minimum Wage Law? : The Tea Party Economist on Jim Wallis: God Hates Inequality