God's Politics

God's Politics

Audio Interview: Alice Walker on ‘Eating Oranges in the Astrodome’

posted by God's Politics

Pulitzer Prize-winning author Alice Walker talks to Sojourners associate editor Rose Marie Berger about Hurricane Katrina, bubble baths, and the art of remembering.
+ Listen to highlights of the interview (20 minutes, 18MB)
+ Read the print version in the June issue of Sojourners

Tom

posted June 21, 2007 at 2:19 am

Alice Walker is the woman! I love her. You go sistah!!

Donny

posted June 21, 2007 at 8:01 am

The fault for the suffering of the people in New Orleans was the fault of the Democrats that ran New Orleans.
Get real people.
Honesty doesn’t hurt as bad as you’ve been told.
donnyresponse@yahoo.com

canucklehead

posted June 21, 2007 at 1:10 pm

Ok…honesty.
Donny, be careful lest your partisan perspectives start to border on the ridiculous.
If we want to find fault, then let’s do what the insurances companies do for just a moment – view the Katrina disaster as “an act of God.”
Remember a few years ago when Pat Robertson testified that his prayers or those of the CBN viewers were responsible for making whatever that storm was called veer away from Virginia Beach? He conveniently neglected to mention anything about the fact that the storm proceeded to thereafter hammer south New Jersey wreaking mega $$ of damage and grief in the process.
So, in that instance, the Religious Right assigned credit to God for sparing Virginia Beach and now you want to blackball the Democrats for how they mishandled the management of the Katrina aftermath? Well, which is it and why didn’t God honor the fervant prayers of those in New Orleans whom I’m sure thot it would a good idea if the storm pummelled someplace else? Was it b/c the city was ruled by Democrats and God wanted to expose the Democrats’ ill-prepardedness to handle such a disaster?
If I recall correctly, there were some mutterings in the aftermath of Katrina that the Bush administration also botched the immediate response to Katrina, so maybe it was the ill-preparedness of the Republicans that was really behind what “the master of the seas and the winds” permitted/allowed/caused??

Eric

posted June 21, 2007 at 1:52 pm

If you want to devolve a comment thread into pointlessness it’s obvious all you have to do is ask Donny and Canucklehead to post.

neuro_nurse

posted June 22, 2007 at 12:53 pm

Instead of engaging in fault-finding, try doing something positive.
For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Matthew 6:14-15
Second Harvest New Orleans
seek peace and pursue it, Psalm 34:14
neuro_nurse
aeauooo@yahoo.com

neuro_nurse

posted June 22, 2007 at 1:03 pm

P.S. I love this city!

Mick Sheldon

posted June 22, 2007 at 4:40 pm

neuro_nurse right on

(Dingaling.)

posted June 24, 2007 at 7:38 am

(Jesus the Christ.)
Master teacher,master carpenter and reported to be the son of God.
Not recorded to have ever written anything with no one on earth having any idea as to what he may have looked like.
(Jesus the Christ.)
Man,myth or legend???

non sequitur

posted June 24, 2007 at 12:10 pm

(Dingaling.)
What’s your point? Are you lost?

Grace

posted June 26, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Listening to a woman who is so concerned on a deep level for the suffering of humanity is refreshing to me. The case in New Orleans left me “remembering” how slow our government responded to this crisis. Leaving many people to die and suffer… absolutely uncalled for. Some questions that I ponder about this particular situation is…. Where were all our National Guards and proper equipment who are supposed to be here in the US for such a tragedy?????? I’ll let you answer that one. I would like to disagree that there was ample warning to get out and also one needs money for any kind of ticket to get out and many didn’t have money. So what do they do?? What’s our government’s responsibility for those people??? What is our response as a society??? Alice is doing something great and taking action… yes!!!
After listening to her interview there was one statement in which I remembered and that was she is concerned not only with their physical needs but also their spiritual and soul needs. She wanted people in great suffering to know quote “you are very dear to me.”
Kudos to Alice Walker. Kudos to her compassion. Kudos to her as a person!!! I am thankful for such a representation as Alice Walker. Jesus cared for the least of these. And many in New Orleans were poor people. I say shame on our government in this particular situation. And I am sick of pointing fingers Republican or Democrat, who-ever holds office…. these were and are valuable human beings who should have been helped earlier than they were. period. Is it possible for political parties to come together for humanities sake and work together for the good of ALL of the people?