God-O-Meter

God-O-Meter

Exclusive: Interview with Mark DeMoss

posted by dgilgoff

demoss2.jpgWith clients like Focus on the Family, Franklin Graham, and Campus Crusade for Christ, Mark DeMoss may be the most prominent public relations executive in the evangelical world. A former chief of staff to Jerry Falwell, DeMoss became then-presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s chief liaison to evangelical leaders. God-o-Meter caught up with him this week to ask how John McCain—and Barack Obama—are doing among evangelical opinion shapers and voters.
How intensely has the McCain campaign lobbied for your support?
I’ve gotten one phone call from a campaign staffer, [director of messaging] Brett O’Donnell. Brett called a month ago and asked if I was opened to getting involved. I told him that I was involved with Mitt Romney not just because I liked the campaign, but because I felt like he was a special candidate at a special time. I told him that I’m a conservative a first and a Republican second. I was inclined to vote for Senator McCain but not to get involved beyond that.
So you’re supporting McCain but aren’t exactly enthusiastic about him?
It would be accurate to say I am not as enthusiastic about Senator McCain as I was about Mitt Romney, but I think anybody would say that about their first candidate of choice.
How is John McCain doing among evangelicals, a crucial Republican constituency?
The evangelical world or the conservative religious world is not his natural habitat, so he doesn’t strike me as being all that comfortable with it. I think that’s evidenced by the strong comments made in 2000 about Falwell and Robertson.
But he gave the 2006 commencement address at Liberty University, your alma mater.
For all of the attention devoted to his 2006 commencement address at Liberty, which I attended and where I met the Senator, I would not suggest that that was reflective of building stronger ties or relationships or making inroads in the evangelical community. For one thing, his commencement address made no mention of faith or a lot of the issues that religious conservatives care an awful lot about.
Now, he was in difficult spot with that address, because had he given a speech about values and his faith, he would have been accused of values and pandering. Instead, he gives a speech largely about foreign policy and he was criticized for being out of touch with his audience. So he was probably in a no-win situation in that commencement address.
Do you think that McCain hurt himself among evangelicals by publicly rejecting pastors John Hagee and Rod Parsley, or has that been overstated?
The Senator hurt himself by rejecting the endorsements of John Hagee and Rod Parsley in Texas and Ohio, and it was mistake to do that. Here were two conservative religious pastors who were probably out on a limb supporting him. And he responds to criticism over comments they made and rejects them. That was a slap in the face to evangelicals who are already somewhat suspect of Senator McCain. I would have some theological differences with both pastor Hagee and Parsley, but in terms of values, we would be political soul mates. This makes it harder for McCain to make the case to evangelicals and other religious conservatives that we understand you.
You represent some of the nation’s most powerful evangelicals. What do those leaders say about McCain?
This is one guy’s perspective, but I am surprised by how little I’ve seen or read in conservative circles about McCain since February. I don’t think I’ve gotten one email or letter or phone call from anybody in America in the last four months saying anything about this election or urging that we unite behind John McCain and put aside whatever differences we have. Back in the fall and winter, you’d get several things a day from conservatives saying, “The future of the Supreme Court is at stake. We have to stop Hillary Clinton. Get behind so and so—or don’t’ go with this guy.” It’s just very quiet. It could meant there’s a real sense of apathy or it could mean they’re’ waiting for the general election to begin. But it’s a surprise, given the way email networks work now.
If one third of white evangelicals voted for Bill Clinton the second time, at the height of Monica Lewinsky mess—that’s a statistic I didn’t believe at first but I double and triple checked it—I would not be surprised if that many or more voted for Barack Obama in this election. You’re seeing some movement among evangelicals as the term [evangelical] has become more pejorative. There’s a reaction among some evangelicals to swing out to the left in an effort to prove that evangelicals are really not that right wing. There’s some concern that maybe Republicans haven’t done that well. And there’s this fascination with Barack Obama. So I will not be surprised if he gets one third of the evangelical vote. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was 40-percent.
How much of that is because of the testimonial way he discusses his own faith?
Out of curiosity, I’ve been reading up on Obama’s personal faith these last couple weeks. I read all of Dreams From My Father and I got Audacity of Hope and so far I only read the chapter on faith. The chapter on faith in Audacity of Hope actually talked relatively little about his personal faith or his relationship with Christ. I underlined even the remotest references and there might be six or eight sentences at most. For example, he talks about joining Trinity and being baptized there. But for evangelicals, there’s a difference between being baptized—it’s not eh same as acknowledging a decision to accept Christ. He says in other places that he accepted Christ as his savior and I accept that, but if you read [Obama’s books] You’re not going to find the kind of personal testimony in the kind of terms that Mike Huckabee talked about.
I’m not saying he has to be a born again or he shouldn’t be president. But he’s going to appeal to a lot of [evangelicals] and raise questions in others. I learned recently of a young woman form a prominent evangelical family who’d been supporting a Republican candidate in the primaries and she stood for four hours in a stadium in a downpour waiting for Obama to speak and signed up to work for him afterward. That’s all it took. It speaks to what we’re hearing about him being a mesmerizing communicator. There will be others who ask tough questions [about Obama] and say “I’m not so sure.” But one of the things that the media had gotten really wrong in recent years that evangelicals are absolutely Republican. Polls don’t show that to be true.

Mark

posted June 5, 2008 at 8:13 pm

An excellent piece! Though I don’t vote based heavily on a candidate’s faith, I am looking forward to learning more about Obama’s, specifically the role it plays in determining his actions and decisions.

Elrod

posted June 6, 2008 at 1:03 am

Dreams From My Father is a much better book to get a look at Barack Obama’s faith journey. Audacity of Hope is more of a policy book than a testimonial. If you’re really interested in what he believes about God, Jesus Christ, the role of religion in his life, and his spiritual longings read “Dreams.”
He has also issued another excellent speech chastising arch-secularists in the Democratic Party for shoving faith out of the political domain. I can’t recall where that speech is but I bet you can Google it. It was quite moving at the time.

Emma

posted June 6, 2008 at 1:27 am

It’s been said of Barack Obama, and I think it is true, that he has the gift of listening to someone’s point of view and then saying it back, but more eloquently. This is the gift of a good politician. Why? Most people, being prideful and somewhat narcistic, believe that others would accept their point of view if only it was understood (You don’t agree with me because you don’t understand what I’m trying to say). So when a politician regurgitates, beautifully, a view or belief, the person thinks it means the politician agrees!
The proof is in the pudding, however. Obama has been rated the most liberal senator out of 100. He is for partial birth abortion. He wants marriage redefined. He not only attended the American version of a Nuremberg rally weekly for 20 years, but brought along his impressionable little girls who’ve been attending since infancy. I’m not pro-McCain, but I just implore people to look at the record, which is very real. One may be anti-war and believe that it is Christian to vote for Obama. That’s fine. But don’t try to convince yourself that there is even a remote possibility of him changing his mind or even moderating on Life, Marriage, etc. John McCain may moderate and go Left even more on these issues, but Obama is staying put on the Far Left. These are bad times for Christians.

Hank Jestor

posted June 6, 2008 at 12:39 pm

I would hope that we as Christians would vote for things that unite us and not the things that divide us. We have believed the Republicans and they just used our votes to line the pockets of Wall Street.
I do not agree with some of the policies of the Democratic Party but we cannot continue to have a single issue be used by the Republican party to take the future away from our children.
I will be voting for Senator Obama this year and will support the Democratic party.
God Bless America

Lei'nad Rendies

posted June 6, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Emma: First of all, he is against gay marriage and for civil unions, just like John McCain. I’m not sure where you got the idea he wants marriage redefined. The issue is a moot point, as the candidates don’t differ on it to any great extent.
The issue with the National Journal’s rating Obama as the most “liberal” Senator, is that it’s trying to render a quantitative measurement to a qualitative attribute… People in the senate don’t take that rating seriously as most know Bernie Sanders or Russ Feingold rank most liberal. They have a flawed methodology as well, by looking at only 99 votes and not appropriately figuring what to do with missed votes. For example, they couldn’t even rate McCain because he missed so many. Obama voted “liberal” 65 times while Hillary voted liberal 77 times, yet Obama is rated 15 Senators higher on the list. His view on American health care is far from liberal as well, since he believes more in the free market than many of his liberal colleagues. Think of it like this… Ron Paul was rated 178th most conservative in the Congress in the same study. We know that’s not the case :)
Saying he’s “for” partial birth abortion is a somewhat myopic statement. The Republicans in the Illinois state senate tried to include some “beating heart” language in the bill, effectively making it’s approval a threat to abortion doctors. Had they actually wanted to stop IDX (the medical term for partial birth abortion), they could have, but were more interested in painting the Dems in the legislature as extreme. Obviously that worked. He said this when pressed by Alan Keyes:
“At the federal level there was a similar bill that passed because it had an amendment saying this does not encroach on Roe v. Wade. I would have voted for that bill.”

In response to the actual article, I want to quote his famous speech (though not so famous as I thought it was!):
“You need to come to church in the first place precisely because you are first of this world, not apart from it. You need to embrace Christ precisely because you have sins to wash away – because you are human and need an ally in this difficult journey.
It was because of these newfound understandings that I was finally able to walk down the aisle of Trinity United Church of Christ on 95th Street in the Southside of Chicago one day and affirm my Christian faith. It came about as a choice, and not an epiphany. I didn’t fall out in church. The questions I had didn’t magically disappear. But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side, I felt that I heard God’s spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth.”
And here’s the video… I highly recommend a viewing of it to gain a better understanding of where Obama, himself, is coming from.
God bless.

Joshua

posted June 6, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Emma,
I would implore you to be more critical of your sources. Barack Obama is the “Most Liberal Senator” according the the National Journal, a periodical that holds no shame in it’s heavily right-leaning agenda. Guess who the Journal named as the most liberal senator in 2004? John Kerry. The National Journal’s “Most Liberal” list is a rallying cry for conservatives against the strongest democratic candidates for the election cycle. Being constantly trumpeted by right-wing pundits doesn’t make it true. Do you really think that Barack Obama is more liberal than Dick Durbin or Barbara Boxer or Ted Kennedy or Tom Leahy? The answer is no. You are right, Senator Obama does support a woman’s right to choose and the equality of marriage. You’ll have to decide whether either of those issues are worth supporting the alternative–an occupation in the middle east that has led to ethnic cleansing and the murders of hundreds of thousands of innocent people. A homeland that is weaker and more vulnerable to attack. A nation where 47 million people, including 13 million children, don’t have access to health care. A nation where we’re one illness away from living on the street. The republican party has hijacked the support of social conservatives for the cause of corporate greed and the nation is worse for it. Between the lesser two evils, Barack Obama is certainly mine.

Sheri Scott

posted June 6, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Are the Republican’s pandering to the evangelicals? Do they really believe what they are saying or are they just saying it to get votes? To answer those questions, all you have to do is look at their policies. They say that the are pro-life, but then search out excuses to justify an unjust war that takes thousands of innocent Iraqi lives including women and children and results in the death and maiming of our solders. They say that they are pro-life, but then refuse to increase early childhood education and health care for those same children. You can not in good conscience be for one and not the others.

herbert cole

posted June 6, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Obama has proven his bedrock Christian values by being a “dignitarian” (rather than a “rankist” during the primary campaign. He turns the other cheek regularly and refuses to engage in personal slurs. He tries to keep the discourse positive, takes the high road. His politics are uplifting; he wants the best of and for all of us, and he gives his best. His refusal to accept money from lobbyists is another positive Christian value.
I hope there will be an “Evangelicals for Obama” movement. Surely his religious convictions, ethics, Christian consistency, and personal (married) life — compared with McCain’s) all aargue for such support, and if this movement takes off it will counter the ridiculous, totally erroneous innuendo that he is a Muslim.

Wes Mahan

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:05 pm

As an ex-evangelical who finds the Mark DeMoss (and his clients) type of Christianity extremely narrow in scope and distasteful, I greatly respect him for speaking objectively and dispassionately about the Obama phenomenon. Very few evangelical leaders in the media seem to be able to do that any more.
My message to Mark DeMoss and his clients: There are a huge number of Christians who long for an America in which peace, justice and caring for society’s outcasts, as Jesus taught, are far more important than your moral compass, which only seems to have two points on it, homosexuality and abortion. Where we are looking for positive ways to change the world, rather than negative ways of attacking those you don’t agree with. Where we are looking for political leaders who display the teachings of Jesus, rather than spouting the negative doctrines of evangelical leaders.

Fiona

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Obama did not vote for a ban on partial birth abortion because the bill did not recognize the fact that at times, a mother’s life would be at risk, and in the opinion of doctors, would need this procedure.
Easy enough to say do not kill, but with 3 small children at home, mother about to die, which doctor is going to chose the unborn child over a living, breathing woman?
If that bill had been written to recognize extraordinary cases such as the above, Senator Obama would have supported it.
Secondly, Obama has never asked for marriage to be redefined. He has suggested that homosexual partners have the same rights to property, hospital visits, inheritance etc as heterosexual partners, married or not.
He himself is aware of the sanctity of marriage, which is why we have not heard of him tom-catting all over Washington. However, CHRISTIANS seem to favor McCain, who despite being divorced and living in sin – his first wife is alive – is more acceptable than Obama.
Finally,Talk about Nuremberg! For years white folk have attended churches where the pastor took his shotgun in the evening and joined his fellow worshipers in a little “coon” hunting in the South. Church people burnt crosses on the front yards of poor black sharecroppers. GOOD Christians put up signs in their shops: “NO BLACKS OR COLOREDS ALLOWED”
Your denial of the FACT that for over 300 years you built an economy on the free labor of blacks kidnapped from Africa and sodomized, molested, raped and impregnated by white men, is UN CHRISTIAN. Don’t blame the messengers. Pretending this did not happen, and that black people in America have no right to be angry is evil. REPENT of your sins and ask GOD and the African American to forgive your ancestors.

Babs

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:10 pm

This is a funny article.
Barack Obama (who is bound to lose in November in answer to prayers of evangelicals) said that Jesus taught that homosexuality is not a sin.
Obama interprets the Sermon on the Mount to mean that Jesus is for gays to get “married” adopt kids, whatever.
Evangelicals would never vote for such a person.
I’m an evangelical and will vote for McCain in November.
I am sure that James McArthur and James Dobson know this.
And our other great men of God.
Not even the black ministers would support such evil.
Anyone who votes for Obama is a new ager and an enemy of the cross of Christ.

Wes Mahan

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:14 pm

And just one more thing, after reading Emmas posting which ends, “these are bad times for Christians”.
I would say instead: “these are bad times for very conservative, ideologically-driven fundamentalist Christians, but GOOD times for open-hearted, inclusive, peace-loving Christians who try to follow in the steps of Jesus”.

Fiona

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:14 pm

“The proof is in the pudding, however. Obama has been rated the most liberal senator out of 100. He is for partial birth abortion. He wants marriage redefined.”
If the CHRISTIAN CHURCH can stomach that Senator Bryd of West Virginia was voted IN by the white populace (many of them Christians) even though he was a grand master of the Klan, they need to keep mum on the subject of anyone’s church-going.

Mike

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:22 pm

His timeline is off: Lewinsky didn’t become a public scandal until late ’97/early ’98, well after the ’96 election. In fact, the election was noteworthy for the lack of any passion on either side.

Rev. Carmen Cameron

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:41 pm

My reaction as a devout Christian with a very real and active relationship with Christ is that I can tell ALL I need to know about the two candidates left in the presidential race by their deeds, not by their words (or allegiances with religious “experts”).
I don’t have to agree with a person’s every decision but with their overall decision-making premises (their “values,” if you will) and the central premises of Christ’s message are to love one another and to turn the other cheek – neither being easy things to DO in a scary world and so I KNOW (from personal experience) that it requires more than a haphazard faith in God to be faithful to these challenging premises.
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.” (Matthew 5:9)
It doesn’t take a minister or religious “expert” to know which candidate is (no matter what attack is thrown his way) LIVING by Christ’s ideals. And, for me, that says it all.

Scott Cottingham

posted June 6, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Babs says: “Obama says that he understands the Sermon on the Mount to mean that Jesus is not against homosexuality but rather that Jesus endorses sodomy and all forms of homosexuality.”
If Babs was a Christian she should know God doesn’t want us to lie or bear false witness. Why is she lying about Obama?

Dan Martin

posted June 6, 2008 at 4:08 pm

“There’s a reaction among some evangelicals to swing out to the left in an effort to prove that evangelicals are really not that right wing.”
NO, not exactly. There’s a movement among a lot of evangelicals to recognize that the Jesus of the gospels, and the words of God in the prophets, tell a vastly different story about what gets God upset, than the story we’ve been hearing across our pulpits. What you so blithely describe as a swing to the left is nothing more than Christians realizing that caring about who gets screwed extends to finances and power and influence, not just to anatomy.
Jesus said the Lord had anointed him to “preach good news to the poor. . .sight for the blind. . .liberty for the captives. . .the year of the Lord” (Luke 4:18-19 distilled). Interestingly he said nothing about sex or abortion or taxes or limited government. We’re only rediscovering that God’s priorities include power and economics AS WELL AS personal morality. We’re not trying to “prove” anything about evangelicals.

John Lofton, Recovering Republican

posted June 6, 2008 at 4:37 pm

If DeMoss is a Christian, why does he say he is “a conservative a first and a Republican second.” Why doesn’t he say he is a Christian FIRST? But, then this IS the problem, isn’t it — folks who say they are Christians but their professed faith has nothing to do with their works. No Christian could support for President, as DeMoss did, an unbeliever, in his case a Mormon whose “church” teaches many anti-Biblical things such as that Jesus is the spiritual brother of Lucifer! As for DeMoss “accepting” Obama’s assertion that he (Obama)has accepted Christ as his savior (nothing alleged re: Christ as his LORD), why does DeMoss accept this? On what basis? Could Obama be a Christian and support partial-birth abortion, as he does, among many anti-Biblical positions he takes? Not likely, I’d say. Hope you’ll visit, please our site, TheAmericanView.com, and read the following article re: God’s qualifications for public office and who we as Christians are allowed to vote for.Thank you.
John Lofton, Editor
JLof@aol.com

Ska Himself

posted June 6, 2008 at 4:50 pm

First and foremost: I am not a Christian. In fact, it would be easier to describe me as a nonbeliever. However, I did a 12 year stint in Catholic school growing up and as such I am well-versed in the Bible, Judeo-Christian history, and Religious Philosophy/Theology. I also maintain a large number of friendships with people who hold religous/spiritual views who are the complete antithesis of my own.
That being said –
From everything I have read, studied, seen, and heard (both statistically and by word of mouth) in the past few years – I have to completely agree with Dan Martin’s post. There does seem to be a significant shift among swaths of evangelicals who desire to move behind the “fire and brimstone” Old Testement-style theology and embrace the readily apparent socialist* teachings of Christ as he is represented in the New Testement.
It’s my sincere hope that more Christians realize that being a disciple demands action and good works – not sermon attendance and protests.
Obama, to me, is a rare breed. He is someone who brings a non-believer such as myself to post on a religous chatboard. He is someone who I firmly believe can help bring this country togethor, inspire us to work toward a common future, and can bring out the best in us as a country.
It speaks volumes about the Republican party – and their current candidate, that large numbers of a voting block they can usually count on feels disenfranchised, betrayed, and lied to.
I hope people of faith – and those without faith, realize who will ultimately be the best choice for America.
* Side note: You can be a believer in the free market and capitalism and freedom and still uphold “socialist” (helping others) ideals. Depsite what people try and tell us, they are not mutually exclusive.

Dan Ra

posted June 6, 2008 at 5:00 pm

DeMoss is extremely out of touch. His brand of Christian life is becoming quickly irrelevant AND unbiblical.
Young evangelicals, Emergents, and young reformed Christians are paving a new way of acting out faith more faithful to Scripture with regard to justice, compassion, stewardship, and a holistic Gospel. The earth IS FULL of the Lord’s glory. I spurn the right-wing brand of Christianity altogether as well as the left-wing.
Barack will be the most authentic Christian to have graced our White House since Carter (and will be a way better president too). He will restore the Christian ethos that has been lost by the horrible and pharisaic “Christian” brand the Republican party has espoused.
Jesus as King and Savior. Obama as president.

Cheryl Spencer from Lewes Delaware

posted June 6, 2008 at 5:28 pm

I am praying to God that Pat and Gordon Robertson will be brought out into this mix so they too can be scrutinized and exposed. Gordon had an extramarital affair and his daddy helped him keep it hidden, and they continued their “healings” and “words of knowledge” throughout the affair. They tell others to confess their sins and repent, yet they hide their own. They make money off of their gullible viewers by using fake holiness. The on-air healings and words of knowledge bring in money for them. Christians are trusting people. They believe the stagecraft and the acting and they want to be a part of that. It is the saddest scam in the world. People want to be close to God and they want to believe it is possible so they touch their tv screen when Pat Robertson tells them to. They want to please God so they send their money to Pat when he tells them to. Pat Robertson has gotten away with lying and stealing all these years and now his adulterer son is in that seat to take over the con games. It makes me sick. I want those two to be outed too. They are completely immoral. I did not realize that John McCain spoke at a Liberty Commencement and I wonder if he will select Romney for his attachment to holymen. I just hope wrongs will be righted in the process. I hope the Robertson con artists will be brought out into the light in the same way Hagee and Wright have been.

Cheryl Spencer from Lewes Delaware

posted June 6, 2008 at 5:31 pm

If the candidates were smart they would avoid the hate-filled holymen altogether. There religion is unrecognizable, at least not as Christianity.

brenda brown

posted June 6, 2008 at 6:44 pm

I’m a Christian who voted for Bush twice, but I’m going for Obama this time. The Republicans use our votes, and then forget about us once elected. And look what they have done in the last 8 years…people losing their homes and jobs at a record clip…children without health insurance…filling up your car costs more than I’ve ever seen it…an Iraq war that was based on lies, we shouldn’t have waged, and will now have a hard time getting out of…we need a change and McCain is more of the same.
Also I like how Obama is a family man, unlike McCain. McCain is a war hero, but when he came back from Vietnam he dumped Carol, his devoted first wife who stood by him when he was a POW. She had a car wreck when he was a POW but refused to tell McCain about it because she didn’t want to worry him. She was left crippled from the accident, 4 inches shorter, and she had gained some weight. So what did McCain do when he got home? He had an affair on his wife with the much younger Cindy. He was married when he first starting dating Cindy. He dumped his first wife with a quickness and married Cindy the next month. That’s not Christian-like at all.
I read about this in Newsweek last January in an interview with Ross Perot (remember him?) and I wondered why we never hear about this side of John McCain. Here’s a quote from the article: The Perot-McCain relationship goes back to McCain’s five and a half years of captivity in Hanoi. When McCain’s then-wife Carol was in a serious car accident, McCain’s mother called Perot for help. “She asked me to send my people to Philadelphia to take care of the family,” Perot says. Afterwards, McCain was grateful. “We loved him [Perot] for it,” McCain told me in 2000.
Perot doesn’t remember it that way. “After he came home, he walked with a limp, she [Carol McCain] walked with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona [Cindy McCain, his current wife] and the rest is history.”

JG

posted June 6, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Mark DeMoss may have double- & triple-checked the 1996 election results for evangelicals voting for Clinton, but he’s pretty far off in expecting that to coincide with the “height of the Lewinsky scandal”.
As I recall, Drudge first published Lewinsky reports in January 1998, so unless those evangelicals were also clarevoyant sooth-sayers, I doubt that they voted for Clinton in spite of the Lewinsky affair.

Karen

posted June 6, 2008 at 7:32 pm

I have long thought that one’s beliefs, including religious beliefs, inform one’s way of looking at the world but should NOT be the sole factor in voting. There are wounds out there that can’t be healed with prayer alone but require concerted action in cooperation with people of other faiths, people whose religious views are totally unlike one’s own. That includes the environment, healthcare for everyone, a family friendly world that goes beyond preventing abortion or going against homosexuality but includes family leave, decent housing, mother-child classes to help young parents bond more positively with their babies, etc. etc. etc.
These issues are being addressed by the Democrats and not the Republicans, certainly not the Republican right wing. Also, the issue of war and peace is a religious issue and getting America out of a war that it was lied to about is something that every faith should take a stand about and work toward ending. These, too, are being addressed by the Democrats and not by the neoconservatives on the right. The Rovian use of wedge issues has divided us not only between ourselves but against ourselves. We are living a false self as a nation and I don’t think that would make Jesus at all happy.
There are sins that are being committed as a nation but those sins have to be made up for individually. When Christians say “Lamb of God who took away the sins of the world,” we have to look at Jesus’s mission and continue it. His work is now ours.

Paul

posted June 6, 2008 at 8:52 pm

The Religious Right is a synonym for Judgmental Pharisees. Their phlosophy is: If you don’t agree with me, I’ll stone you.
I’l rather be a Christian with a Right Heart than a Chirstian Right with no heart.

Keith David

posted June 6, 2008 at 11:52 pm

I have something to admit. I am sometimes ashamed to call myself a Christian. I am 27 years old, have atteneded an Episcopal University, and for all of my life have been more comfortable calling myself Episcopal, rather than Christian (knowing in my heart the two are equal). I have had this conversation with my Roman Catholic friends and they share this shame in referring to themselves as Christian (prefering the denominational name). Its analogous to the way many in this country think of an image when they hear Islamic. The worst parts of our religions have become the stereotype.
I feel like the “brand” Christian has been taken over by a certain judgemental group of people who believe that it’s their way or the highway. They impose certain litmus tests on true Christianity. I believe in Christ’s time on earth they were called the Pharisees. The similarities are so glaring. I just wish that Christians with differing views could have a place in the national dialogue.
I mean, I know abortion is wrong. The majority of those who believe it is a woman’s right to choose still see it as wrong, but what would out-lawing it do? Drugs are illegal. It doesn’t keep people from using. I wish that the Christian community could get behind other issues on a national level. Like maybe poverty in this country and others. Health care. Environmentalism.
Don’t mean to offend, but I find myself angry sometimes.

scribblechic

posted June 7, 2008 at 2:33 am

I was led to this page because of the article. I haven’t been to church in years because my faith in God differed so much from the so called Christians that hijacked Christianity for self serving gains. I didn’t want to risk exposing my daughter to hate filled sermons against gays, jews, african americans, or anyone who wasn’t pro-BushCo.
So I stay away from places of worship because I feared the negativity. God gave my precious daughter to me so I felt it my duty to protect her from false prophets.This is not what I remember as a child. Church was inspiring,vibrant,uplifting,safe. Christians were humble, helpful,giving and unconditionally loving. I stay home now. I tell my daughter about the Jesus I was introduced to. We read about many faiths and my daughter understands at 10 years old that God can be worshipped in various ways and that there is no reason to fear another human being because of the way they choose to worship the All Mighty. She understands that there is only one judge of man. She fears no man so she has no need for hate.
I am writing this to say thank you to the many folks whose posts I’ve read. From reading your posts I see that true Christians do exist-tolerant,loving, human beings who truly try to live as Christ teaches. You have strengthened my faith in mankind.
It’s probably obvious who my choice for prez is. I need change ya’ll.
I’m tired of being broke. I’m tired of inadequate health care and I’m afraid that my cousin will be killed in Iraq. See this time he probably won’t make it back alive as he’s survived 2 tours already. Now Bushco is forcing him back to die even though he’s completed his time and is not a reservist. My cuz called me at 3a(no hillary pun intended)and said he’s considering suicide. 10 guys in his troop killed themselves already rather than do another tour of duty.Not because they’re weak but because they have become disillusioned and quite frankly tired of death and killing. They don’t admit it to others but they know amongst themselves why their brothers have taken their lives. Then he asked me,”Do you really think Obama wants to end this war? Because if he would just bring my boys outta there it would really make me happy again.” I said,”Cuz, a Black man is running for President so obviously God is working some serious miracles right now. You can’t kill yourself. This is OUR TIME and you definitely deserve to see this miracle of peace. America has spoken up for change and they want your boys home too.”
Please true christians-PRAY.

Randall

posted June 7, 2008 at 4:05 am

I’m a follower of Jesus Christ and I am Democrat. There was a time where I felt some people at church gave me the impression that being a Democrat meant you could not also be a Christian. Around fellow Democrats at work, Christians were thought to be backwards, gullible, intolerant rubes. Through prayer, Bible Study and a deepening faith, I began to understand I should NEVER be afraid to discuss my faith in Jesus Christ with ANYONE. In following Jesus, I understand that I had to come forth and talk to my Democratic co-workers about my faith. It was the only way to dismiss the misconceptions they had about Christians. Likewise, at church, I no longer hide the fact that I am a Democrat. However, the bottomline is that God comes first. While I may not agree with my Christian brothers and sisters on the right on many political issues, I do admire their openess in displaying their faith. I do pray that they begin to understand that cannot reach non-Christians through antagonism but, by showing them the same love that Jesus showed us.

Patricia

posted June 7, 2008 at 8:49 am

It frustrates me to no end when my Evangelical Christian friends can’t understand that I’m a Democrat and a follower of Christ.
My understanding of Christ teachings are to protect and help the poor and hungry, the homeless and disenfranchised, the widows and to extend compassion and friendship to those who need it. It’s not enough to say you are a Christian but also to show by example the way we live what it means to be a Christian.
Since when did Christ teach us to strive for power, money and support corrupt leaders seeking it?
Patricia

Marian

posted June 7, 2008 at 9:10 am

The term “evangelical” has become too broad and deluded today and hi-jacked by the moderate and religious left. For example, The Democrats decided in 2005 that they had better recruit the assistance of religious left wing leader, Jim Wallis, to sway votes from the evangelicals that voted for Bush and Republican candidates over to the Democrats. He says he is non-partisan, but he is not. He is an advisor to Obama (from his own website, and, publicly endorsed Obama this week). “Evangelicals” are now signing different manifestos and statements – from an open letter to muslims saying that Christians have a common ground with islam, to climate change (despite all the evidence that the global warming scare is not scientifically correct nor true), that “saving the earth” is more important than bringing people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and out of their addictions into true freedom, to statements against Israel in favor of Palestine, and so forth…what is not being seen among these very same “evangelicals”are any “manifestos” or “statements” collectively signed like the above mentioned ones declaring their belief the very essence of scriptures call believers to go into all the world, preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to all nations, nor other basic Christian statements of faith. On the contrary, the nationally known and reputable conservative evangelical leaders in public policy and Christian family values were never included in drafting the recent “Evangelical Manifesto” nor did they sign it. I encourage all the readers to go to this site and really listen to this scholar: Dr. Robert Sirico addresses the “Religious Left” and outlines very succinctly their 7 Tenants of Belief. This will help provide some background to this very subject matter:
The term “Evangelical” has taken a swift turn in definition, reformatted by the liberals and left wing to suit their purposes for this election year.

Trenna

posted June 7, 2008 at 10:24 am

Kristie

posted June 7, 2008 at 10:37 am

I am a recovering right wing Republican who believes that Barack Obama is the best option right now. I voted twice for Bush,but where has his “compassionate” conservatism taken the U.S.? He has a lot more compassion for oil companies, corporations, & Saudi Arabia than for people struggling, losing their homes and jobs, floating corpses in the streets of New Orleans after Katrina.
ENOUGH!!!!
Jesus is NOT a Republican!!!

BrytEydBelle

posted June 7, 2008 at 10:38 am

Exciting to see some other evangelical democrats here…although I strongly disagree with abortion and don’t really support gay marriage, I feel that the democratic party has more Christian ideals. Taking care of the poor, the military, providing health care for sick children. I am well versed in the Bible and I know that Jesus would want the sick taken care before worrying about gay marriage. It was Jesus who stopped the stoning of prostitute Mary Magdalene saying “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone”.
I think that the Republican party is more just using these talking points to win votes. Notice that conservative judges now have a majority in the supreme court since Justice Roberts was appointed, yet abortion is still legal. They want to keep it legal so they can use it as a voting point.
Thanks for listening. God bless and enjoy the beautiful day!

C Jeff

posted June 7, 2008 at 11:15 am

“Wes, aren’t the unwanted unborn the most vulnerable and marginalised of ‘society’s outcasts’?? Shouldn’t we care for them???” — Trenna
Yes, we should Trenna. But why does the care end at birth???
The right’s viewpoint seems to be, we got you here, now you’re on your own kid.
God is not a Republican OR a Democrat, and I find the concept offensive to attribute him to one side.

Karen

posted June 7, 2008 at 12:08 pm

When I tell you that I am a Bible believing, born-again Christian, it is because I accepted Jesus as my savior. The definition of born-again is just that–accepting Jesus as your savior. If I don’t use the term “born-again” much with non-believers, it is because so many high profile born-again Christians have maligned the term with their behavior. I know-and you know that their behavior doesn’t speak for the rest of us, but non-believers don’t necessarily. SO when Barack Obama SAYS that he accepted Jesus as his savior, you and I must take him at his word, just as I take you at yours in this matter, even if he doesn’t use that term. The President of the United States is president of ALL Americans, not just Evangelicals.
I believe that Obama upholds Christian beliefs, even as he respects the American right of personal belief in those Americans who are not Christians.
I am an Evangelical, born-again Christian who loves Jesus with all of my heart, and if you knew me you’d know that my life reflects that, and I’m voting for Obama.

SMAC25

posted June 7, 2008 at 12:16 pm

The reason why the “Evangelicals” have shut up is because their leaders are a bunch of whimps. They aren’t christians. If those “pastors” who spoke out/up in the first place were hearing from God when they spoke, they would not have backed down when the “heat” came. They backed down because what they were doing in the first place was not of God. Period.
God is not afraid of anything or anybody. And when He tells one of His servants to do or say something, He enables that person to stand – not back down.

Jan C.

posted June 7, 2008 at 12:44 pm

The religious right has done great damage to this country by politicizing religion. They use specific attack words like abortion, gay marriage, tax and spend, fight Islam before they kill us, etc. but do not reflect the values of respect and caring for others, treating others as you would like to be treated, truthfulness, and honesty—-all values which were taught by Jesus in the Bible.

stormy malone

posted June 7, 2008 at 2:21 pm

When I wrote an article for Associated Content regarding Indiana politics in 2008, I noted Barack’s growing strength in Indiana among Evangelicals. I work in the heart of the (White) Gospel Christian Recording Industry.
To my amazement I am hearing from large predominantly white congregations that about 50% are leaning toward Obama. As activist Christians, many of these people know first hand what’s happening in the third world and think of themselves as God’s children, not George Bush’s children.
I don’t have a dog in the religious wars that divide so many of the Christians who come through our studio, but I know many common sense Christians feel that church and state has been hard on the church.

Vonnie Givens

posted June 7, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Ps. 37.4 Delight thyself also in the Lord, and He shall give thee the desires of thy heart I love the Lord with all my heart, and I love God’s people, in this election, those that know GOD, will see that GOD is a GOD, with all kinds of children, Finally, the World will see HE is a RIGHTEOUS GOD! When God is for you, He is more than the whole worlde against you! You poor conservatives, God is going to reveal the truth about you, NO LOVE ON THE RIGHT

Gingercake

posted June 7, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I’m very conservative, and somehow Obama appeals to me. However, I will vote for McCain because he is the only candidate who is pro-life. That is an issue that I cannot compromise. The next president will be choosing about 3 Supreme Court justices. They must stay conservative, or this country will be in a whole lot more trouble.

Granny T

posted June 7, 2008 at 9:53 pm

I am not surprised this man’s e-mail has been silent. Many evangelical “sheep” are still in shock their leaders told them to support candidates that were not consistent on moral values. Some of the “shepherds” even sold out for chairs and a promise of a seat at the rich man’s table. Their sheep have left the fold.

1luvbaby

posted June 7, 2008 at 10:26 pm

As a young African-American woman coming from a mostly Democratic family, I consider myself to be an “independent”, because as a person of faith, I believe that you should vote for whatever candidate speaks to the morals and values that you uphold. In the past, I may have voted Republican had it not been for the war issue and the stubborn policies that over-tax the middle class. But as far as the abortion issue is concerned, I have always disagreed with my pro-choice counterparts and believe that if you don’t want a kid you should keep your legs closed…excuse me if I offend anyone. But as this country has showed us all repeatedly, if people want to be immoral, then they will do just that. Even if a Republican was to take office and make abortion illegal, just like with immigration (on part of Mexicans and other illegal immigrants), drugs(all groups of people), white and blue collar crimes(mostly White males, we all know why..don’t be offended),etc… It really wouldn’t stop anything. People do illegal, corrupt and immoral things all of the time and point the finger at others (due to racial and economic differences mostly, but other things as well). Obama really seems to have more decency and enough wisdom to know that people ultimately make decisions for themselves. And I looked very carefully at Obama before I made a decision to back him. (As a free-thinking Black woman, I surely don’t want anyone, especially a Black person, ruining everything for us..Black Americans with political ambitions and Americans in general under the issues of ecomomics and the war.) But this guy (Obama) has taken more backlash, racial biases, death threats, assasination jokes from a “mean country in 2008″ than any American since the early King years. And still he remains dedicated to serving this country. A country that continuously judges him. He believes so strongly that people can change for the better– enough to stay in this race…even when his life could be on the line. This is a beautiful, sacrificial love that others refuse to see. And let’s not forget that this guy is educated and has exceeded against the odds throughout his life. Additionally, this is one chance for the best inspiration that non-White Americans may ever have. And as bold as we as Americans have been towards other countries, it COULD be the last chance America has to remain a Superpower in the world. Obama may never say this due to his optimistic demeanor, but having an iron-fisted, pro-war, hot-tempered President like McCain may be just what this country needs to tip terrorists off–who might I add ALREADY LIVE IN THIS COUNTRY, running the gas stations–to some REAL destruction! And no, this is not fear-mongering. These are things that Arabic people hint at around lower to middle class Blacks that remain unspoken around White Americans. Wow, couple that nightmare with the middle class losing jobs, houses and healthcare–causing the homeless, drug and crime rates to increase even further than the problem that it already is and that would knock us into “Third World Country” status P.D.Q.! And if you are of the Christian faith, then check out some Revelations 17/18…it’s going to happen, but “God will add years” when we act with wisdom. With the natural disasters occuring all at once across America, this is God’s last warning to us to love ourselves and each other…to not be hypocrites…to be forgiving and to reach out first to each other and also to those in other countries. We as Americans have to become moral and self-sufficient beings. Anti-war. Anti-drug. Anti-crime. Anti-abortion. Anti-racism. Anti-anger. Then we have to create new jobs and fast! I already have some great ideas myself. As America and Israel goes, so shall go the world. I believe that Obama may be sturn in his beliefs for change, but I am also convinced that his mind could be changed on this issue. Of course, the bigger issue is changing the hearts and minds of those who participate in women’s rights organizations. That’s not going to “go away” simply because one man (or woman) is or is not the President. If you agitate Arabic terrorists too much by invasion in their native countries, you leave both America and Israel in grave danger. Now don’t get me wrong…I’m all for morals and pro-life! But if this situation played out, then that would not be in the top 5 issues that need to be addressed.
“IN ALL THINGS BE PROACTIVE…INSTEAD OF JUST BEING REACTIVE”.

David G Dickson

posted June 8, 2008 at 8:41 am

I can’t believe that I am interested in what “fundamentalists” have to say. I am myself an Episcopalian. I have for many years studied with revulsion what may Christians to the right of me were saying. I left the Southern Baptist Church some time ago because of this revulsion. I have felt for many years that these people were doing a great disservice to the overwhelming importance of “The God Concept”. Many loudly claim that they “KNOW” the truth, when they would better serve the “GOOD” by saying that their faith is strongly directing them to what they believe to be the truth. They seemed to believe that the way to further their beliefs is to attempt to overthrow our democracy in order to install a theocracy which supports them. It is interesting to notice that many of these people are now appearing to “put on their brains” and to seriously think about things. How can faith be instilled by force? Was the Inquisition used to further faith or to enrich those that held power in the religious community?

anonymous

posted June 8, 2008 at 5:39 pm

With comments like the ones above (ie: 1luvbaby) it’s would probably in their best interest to not vote at all than to vote for either candidate for the reasons they’ve stipulated. Who cares what others think about who you’ve voted for, it matters only what God thinks because it will be an indication to Him of who you are willing to line yourself up with.
Obama is far left and McCain in on the fence. Neither one is the “best” for our country. The choice lies in who you are willing to line YOURSELF up with based on ideology and if you’re willing to not vote at all in order to spare your own soul. No matter what, you will still be held accountable to God for your choices. Don’t vote based on skin color, background, or emotions. PLEASE!!! Be more realistic than that. COME ON PEOPLE… We are in a spiritual battle for our souls here. Just saying you’re a Christian doesn’t carry any weight with it anymore…you must be leading my example or rather by obedience; obedience to God’s Word.
Politics is what it is, and Obama and McCain are creations of the Democratic and Republican party. They are not working for us, but rather for their party. And don’t be naive in thinking that either candidate, especially Obama, is NOT sacrificing ANYTHING “for the people”
DO NOT BE DECEIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R.Richard

posted June 9, 2008 at 8:37 am

From the interview with DeMoss above:
“Barack Obama is trying hard to win evangelical voters. Does that effort stand a chance?
If one third of white evangelicals voted for Bill Clinton the second time, at the height of Monica Lewinsky mess–that’s a statistic I didn’t believe at first but I double and triple checked it–I would not be surprised if that many or more voted for Barack Obama in this election.”

Joan Brickner

posted June 9, 2008 at 9:21 am

Historically, mixing religion and politics has always been dangerous, corrupting both arenas. We could look at the Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, and, more recently, Christians persecuted in the Soviet Union, and China as just a few examples of the extremes. To a lesser extent, many have made the same here. President Bush adopted the cloak of the good “Christian,” won many Evangelicals, especially with the narrowly defined “values” issues like abortion. Instead, we gained a president who deceived and even lied to Americans (not
Christian values, I think) which led to the unnecessary deaths of not only over 4000 Americans, but hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. Is this what “pro-life” looks like?

ujw, ny

posted June 9, 2008 at 10:25 am

R. Richard – Apparently he didn’t bother checking his dates. President Clinton was re-elected in November 1996. “The Monica Lewinsky mess” was unknown to the public until more than 14 months later.
He just misspoke – he meant Gennifer Flowers or Paula Jones, I’m sure.

CompassionateConsickofConservatives

posted June 9, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Lol, When I was reading the interview, being a lover of politics, it immediately struck me as he had his dates wrong…..I did a report on the impeachment process round-a-bout my senior year of high school, circa ’97. Monica didnt really get introduced until fall/winter of 97-98. And for him to base one of his better points in the whole interview on incorrect dates….well, so much for the religious “right”.

Carolyn Davis

posted June 9, 2008 at 4:57 pm

“Theological differences”, “Political soul mates” sounds like a very intelligent sounding gross contradiction; perhaps even a bit oxymoronic. It seems to me that if you have theolgical differences at least one of the theologies has to be unBiblical. The Bible and the Word of God is or it isn’t. Something very dangerous is happening here. Left wing, right wing are we talking about birds or the left and right of Jesus on the cross!

The Faithful

posted June 9, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Enough with the fixation on the dates – you all know what point he’s making (Clinton received evangelical support even though there were strong challenges to his character).
What I don’t understand is what kind of God you folks expect to meet in the afterlife?
Do you think your God will forgive your racism? Do you think your God will forgive your willful ignorance? Do you think God will forgive you for supporting the war in Vietnam, Iraq, Grenada, Venezuela? Do you think God hates Palestinians as much as evangelicals hate them?

Douglas

posted June 9, 2008 at 7:16 pm

as a black evangelical christian from nyc, i have always been fascinated with how a community that prays to the same God, seeks the same things ( holiness, increase in faith and etc. ) and believes will ultimately end up in the same place, can have such different views on politics.
i don’t believe on being owned by any party therefore between now and november both obama and mccain will have to convince me that they warrant my vote. still i think the repubs have done very badly and we need a change. i have always agreed with many of the moral/value standings of the repubs but as a black man who grew up in the ghettos of nyc, i agree with the community and economic standings of the dems.
in the end, i will vote for the person i believe will take this country in a better direction. my decision will be prayerful and i will live with the consequences of my vote. i always believed that faith and politics are not good bedfellows and i believe this article underscores that.

Joel

posted June 9, 2008 at 7:38 pm

R. Richard…
You should probably attribute your verbatim quote to James Taranto, especially since his item links directly to this article…

pdxpaul1

posted June 10, 2008 at 11:52 am

so barack didnt say the right words or phase,or enough .stop comming up with excuses ,you want to play judge -judge.you known what jesus said about that.

Tamikosmom

posted June 12, 2008 at 7:28 pm

How does Barack Obama reconcile his position on the abortion issue with his Christian beliefs? How do Evangelicals reconcile their support of Barack Obama when the words from Scripture is considered regarding the unborn child.
______________
Obama’s Abortion Extremism
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Obama has not made abortion rights the shouted refrain of his campaign, as other Democrats have done. He seems to realize that pro-choice enthusiasm is inconsistent with a reputation for post-partisanship.
But Obama’s record on abortion is extreme. He opposed the ban on partial-birth abortion — a practice a fellow Democrat, the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan, once called “too close to infanticide.” Obama strongly criticized the Supreme Court decision upholding the partial-birth ban.
+++++++++++++
Jeremiah 1
5. Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart …
++++++++++++
Psalm 139
14. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
+++++++++++

Tamikosmom

posted June 13, 2008 at 5:46 pm

The adherences of BLACK POWER & BLACK THEOLOGY have been deceived or … are very aware … that the racist, anti-American, anti-Israel theology of James Cone is nothing but a means of furthing a Marxist ideology.
__________
THE FOUNDATION OF TRINITY UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST (TUCC) – BARACK OBAMA’S CHURCH FOR THE PAST TWENTY YEARS
… “The vision statement of Trinity United Church of Christ is based upon the systematized liberation theology that started in 1969 with the publication of Dr. James Cone’s book, Black Power and Black Theology.”
++++++++++++++
The Marxist Roots of Black Liberation Theology
April 2, 2008
While Black Liberation Theology is not main stream in most black churches, many pastors in Wright’s generation are burdened by (James) Cone’s categories which laid the foundation for many to embrace Marxism and a distorted self-image of the perpetual “victim.”
… In FOR MY PEOPLE, Cone explains that “the Christian faith does not possess in its nature the means for analyzing the structure of capitalism. Marxism as a tool of social analysis can disclose the gap between appearance and reality, and thereby help Christians to see how things really are.”
More:
+++++++++++++++++
QUOTES – “BLACK POWER & BLACK THEOLOGY” (James Cone)
“Christ is black therefore not because of some cultural or psychological need of black people, but because and only because Christ really enters into our world where the poor were despised and the black are, disclosing that he is with them enduring humiliation and pain and transforming oppressed slaves into liberating servants.” James Cone
“Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the black community. If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him. The task of black theology is to kill Gods who do not belong to the black community … Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love.” James Cone
“In the New Testament, Jesus is not for all, but for the oppressed, the poor and unwanted of society, and against oppressors … Either God is for black people in their fight for liberation and against the white oppressors, or he is not.” James Cone

Patricia

posted June 18, 2008 at 7:21 am

it is offensive to read James Cones comments that we should kill God, or the white enemy for purposes of them not agreeing with the same way of thinking as they,,,,other than that, I am against abortian, and any form of it…I beleive that God is everybodys color, because we were created after His image, why does this kind of talk have to enter into our elections? We need a leader for our country that has Our Country top most in his or her agenda,,,Obama has blatantly said that he is not against abortion, and other anti christian statements, for that reason I have difficulty beleiving that he would have every person in our Great Country, held as important as his own special interests nationality, why won’t he respect the anthem, or the flag, or other symbols of our United States that have been symbols for centuries? And I ask, why do we want someone who has this type of beleifs to run our country? Where will this take us?

Harry Sonke

posted June 18, 2008 at 11:08 am

Two things are wonderful about this country’s politics and at the same time make it difficult for a Christian to clearly come out for one candidate or another without it being self evident. The first is the two party system, which for instance, allowed Bill Clinton to beat George H W Bush in Bush’s reelection bid. Ross Perot effectively took votes that would have gone to Bush, which allowed Clinton to win with less than a majority of votes. Same is probably true of Ralph Nader and Al Gore.
If Ron Paul supports Bob Barr or does something to undercut John McCain, it will make it that much easier for Barack Obama to win. In Israeli or European style politics, we would all choose our own party, even a Christian party,for instance and then each party allies itself with other parties, who then choose a Prime Minister. Makes you feel that your vote is more effective, but often has poorer results in terms of policy. As flawed as it is, I still like our system better for a host of reasons we don’t have time to get into here.
The other thing is that, in most cases historically, the courts have stopped the erosion of our Constitution by the legislative and executive branches. These days, however, although our legislative branch is supposed to make laws, it has been circumvented by activist courts. This presents the ridiculous reality of 4 members of the California Supreme court overturning a super-majority of voters who clearly stated that marriage is between a man and a woman. Of course the classic case is Rowe v Wade on the nationalal level. We also have the wonderful possibility of sending the Ca Supreme Court “packing” on this issue by amending the Constitution clearly prohibiting them from that position.
Most evangelicals would more naturally vote for McCain for his positions on abortion and more limited government, than for Obama’s radical “government can fix all” schemes, for his radical position on abortion(even voting against providing for help for babies that survived abortion in the Illinois legislature)and his opportunity, should he get elected, to appoint “creative” judges to the Supreme Court(in this case literally because they will create new “rights” that don’t exist in the Constitution). But John McCain has regularly “stuck his finger in the eyes” of evangelicals and that makes us less than enthusiastic to work for him, a huge issue in the effort to get out the vote in November.
Christians need to pray(more than ever) that God will intervene this year for righteousness, because much is at stake both foreign and domestic, as a result of this upcoming election.

Mary

posted June 19, 2008 at 6:16 am

I really do think it will be a BIG mistake on all of the Christian community if they vote for Obama. But if things are already laid out and God is in command[ as he is ]no vote will mean anything anyway.You see what is meant to be will be.All I can say is GOD BLESS AMERICA.Just keep your heart and mind on the the things you can do something about and not the things you can’t, because God has it in control.I have been told time and time again to watch the year 2012. I just don’t understand why Obama is turning his back on his church after all these years of his belive, and now he comes out as being christian. I hope the wool has a lot of holes in it.

Don Flynn

posted July 11, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Mark DeMoss:
Please provide a source for your claim that “one third of white evangelicals voted for Bill Clinton the second time”. I suspect it was close to this, but I need a source in order to use it.
Second, I think your chronology is off. The Monica Lewinsky mess BEGAN during Clinton’s 2nd term. She was unknown during the 1996 election. Please offer a correction because anyone who repeats this will look very foolish and damage their credibility since it is factually inaccurate.
Thanks for all you do,