“I don’t believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive.” – Joseph Campbell
After celebrating my 52nd birthday a few days ago, it was clear I had a choice: I could choose to see the glass as half empty (time is moving forward and there’s nothing I can do to stop it); or I could choose to see the glass as half full (there’s still plenty of time left to enjoy life’s gifts).
I decided to drink from the half-full glass.
20 Gifts to Celebrate
Every day you have the choice to celebrate life, or not. Between paying the bills, juggling your responsibilities and recognizing the days are getting shorter, each day also provides an invitation to embrace the goodness, and the gifts, life has to offer.
Here are 20 reasons why it’s good to be alive so you can celebrate life’s gifts with a full heart – no matter how difficult things may seem at times.
1. You can hug your child.
2. You can take a walk in the rain.
3. You can smell the delicious aroma of fresh-baked cookies.
4. You can give, and receive, a sweet kiss from your partner.
5. You can sleep late on a lazy Sunday morning.
6. You can share a laugh with your friends.
7. You can cuddle up with your partner and watch a favorite TV show.
8. You can give your time, talent or treasure to a worthy cause.
9. You can treat yourself to your favorite ice cream cone.
10. You can feel your heart beat after going for a walk or run.
11. You can sip a cold beer at a baseball game.
12. You can create something beautiful to share with the world.
13. You can be an ambassador for kindness.
14. You can read a book while sipping a hot cup of coffee or tea.
15. You can sleep in clean, crisp sheets.
16. You can take a bite of watermelon and enjoy the juice run down your face.
17. You can lay outside and just gaze at the stars.
18. You can send a loved one an encouraging text message to brighten their day.
19. You can walk in the surf while hunting for sea shells.
20. You can close your eyes and blow out the candles on another birthday cake.