“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bad news, negative people and ordinary day-to-day problems can bring you down quickly. But no matter how grave things appear, you always have the choice to enrich your life.
Giving your life meaning involves filling your soul with beautiful and inspiring things. Need to re-fill your soul today? Try these ways and feel your soul breathe again.
1. Read a good book - A good book challenges the way we think, engages us in a plot, develops your critical thinking, and enhances our vocabulary. It fulfills the soul in more ways than one.
2. Visit a museum – Great treasures, mysteries, and artifacts await you at any of the numerous museums near you. There is likely one that will fit your interests, too–from art to history to science to sports. You can learn about important culture in a personal way.
3. Study a subject that’s new to you – We all have subjects we excel at. Then there are others that we either haven’t thought much about, or haven’t really liked. Start a new chapter in your life and study up on astronomy, language, military history, biology–whatever sounds interesting. There’s a whole new world out there that can expand the way you think.
4. Attend a classical concert – You can have a fulfilling experience at a classical concert, whether or not you enjoy the music. The performances are art for your ears, featuring some of the most moving and inspiring music you will get to witness live.
5. Do something you’ve never done – While change can be intimidating to many of us, it’s essential for personal growth and fulfillment. You may have to step out on a limb, or at least take a step in that direction, but it will be worth it. You could challenge yourself to a half-marathon, or attempt a jump from the high-dive at the pool, whatever level you’re ready for.
6. Write a poem – Poems may seem like deeply articulate words by famous authors, but they can also be simple and elementary. It’s as easy as writing down what you feel and seeing where the words take you. It’s an experience that will enrich your life and your soul.
7. Learn a new skill – You keep telling yourself you’d like to learn Spanish or start woodworking. What’s stopping you? Learning a new skill is fulfilling for the mind, body, and soul–engaging you at all levels.
8. Take a class or workshop – There are classes and workshops at recreational and community centers for everything, from pottery classes to self-improvement workshops to dance lessons to resume building tutorials. Not only will you walk away enlightened, but you will likely make some new friends.
9. Interview someone you admire - We all look up to someone. No matter where we are in life, there is a person we respect. Having a rewarding conversation with this person, no matter how brief or informal, can be your key to receiving pertinent information and priceless wisdom for sustaining your soul and mind.
10. Brush up on self-care and self-improvement – One of the greatest ways to fill your soul is taking the proper steps to recharge your body and mind. Steps include saying positive things about yourself, getting enough rest, realizing your own self-worth and talents. Stop by a library or browse online for a few friendly reminders to keep your mind and soul in peak condition.