“Prayer is nothing else than a sense of God’s presence” – Brother Lawrence
When my brother unexpectedly died, the pain cut a wound deep into my soul. Eric’s death sent me spinning into a dark hole of guilt, shame and fear.
Questions like: Why couldn’t I save him?; Why him and not me? and Is his early death a foreshadowing to my own? filled me with anxiety like I had never felt before.
Now 18 months later, I’m slowly climbing out of that dark hole. The support of my family and friends has helped. Along with the love I’ve received, I’ve also moved back to the practice of prayer. Saying a simple prayer every day helps to relieve the pain.
These prayers aren’t very long, but they do inspire and encourage me to see the good that still lives around me. Consider one of these simple prayers the next time you need to find some peace, too.
- A simple prayer: Allow self-love to fill me up and for its presence to encourage others to do the same.
- A simple prayer: Allow kindness to come alive in the souls where it has grown dark.
- A simple prayer: Help me use my power today to melt the walls that keep me from being the person I was made to be.
- A simple prayer: Help me remember my power is mine to give away, or to keep – give me the strength to hold on tight.
- A simple prayer: Help me remember my greatest purpose is to be happy.
- A simple prayer: Help me see myself through God’s eyes.
- A simple prayer: Help me see the gift in every situation and then appreciate the lesson behind each one.
- A simple prayer: Remind me of my power to silence fear.
- A simple prayer: Help me do the next right thing.
- A simple prayer: Allow joy to fill us from head to toe.
- A simple prayer: Help me find peace and to be love.
- A simple prayer: Give us the courage to say, “I am happy” when that’s exactly how we feel.
- A simple prayer: Help us see the everyday miracles that are happening around us.
- A simple prayer: When we fall, help us get back up.
- A simple prayer: Help us hear the chaos as a chorus.
- A simple prayer: May we receive the peace we deserve.
- A simple prayer: Give us the energy to take us where our hearts want to go.
- A simple prayer: May we invite healing into our lives to help make our bodies stronger and minds clearer.
- A simple prayer: May we remember that asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness.
- A simple prayer: May our hope come alive and our doubt become silent.