Dr. Norris J. Chumley Satisfied Life

Dr. Norris J. Chumley Satisfied Life

Reducing Sugar, Reducing Kid’s Weight

December 10, 2009

Categories: Diet, Food, Health, Weight Loss, Wellness

I was delighted to awake this morning to discover a press release from General Foods announcing they are reducing sugar in some of their cereals for children.  This is good news!

Here is an article on it from The Wall Street Journal.

I wish that they would make all their cereals whole grain, and lower the sugar content even further, but this is a step.

I believe sugar to be a leading cause of obesity and overweight, in addition to contributing or causing the epidemic of diabetes we’re experiencing!

If you want to lose weight quickly, do as I did, eliminate added sugar in processed foods, and avoid simple sugars as much as possible. Fruit is better, as it’s a complex carbohydrate.

What do YOU think about sugar in cereals?  Please comment!

Add Comment » Comments
  1. CK
    December 11, 2009 at 10:13 am

I am very pleased to read the news about reduced sugars in GM cereals. People debate that “it’s about choices” but I feel companies should set the example and not offer choices that are proven to impact your health especially for children.

2. Catherine
    December 11, 2009 at 11:10 am

It is a step in the right direction and a good one as long as people want it they will make it, use your voice with your buying power, less sugar is good.

3. Julia
    December 11, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Going for the most natural foods is always the best choice for people. The convenience of processed foods is the culprit—-we are a hurried society and many times we find ourselves grabbing something processed out of necessity. I think maybe keeping cut up carrots, celery and perhaps apple slices (with lemon) might help. I find that my kids tend to fight me and they want the sugary foods and I have been guilty of giving in to them.

4. Ingrid
    December 11, 2009 at 8:42 pm

The gift of health to ourselves is to eat the most natural form of foods that God created for us. Sugar and sugary foods don’t allow for the natural gag reflex to occur when we have too much fruit,as in dates and other fruits. None of us would sit down to a half pound of dates but it is easy to sit down to a half a pound of pie or cake or cookies! Having battled sugar and wheat cravings most of my life and watching my grandkids do it make me doubly glad that corporations who are responsible for our food supply move into a higher alignment of what is healthy. We all have been victimized by corporate greed and but are accomplices to our own demise by ignoring the wisdom of good nutrtion and ignoring the voices of our bodies.

5. Janice Egly
    December 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm

It’s about time. But I’m afraid there is will be too long before they are whole wheat.

6. sherrill vaughan
    December 12, 2009 at 1:11 am

Interestingly enough, the companies that make these cereals use less sugar in the same products they sell in Europe.

7. Ethel Haynes
    December 12, 2009 at 9:37 pm

I look at the nutritional facts,15g of sugar or less for my granddaughter,as long as she was living with us she had a good weight for a six year old,unfortunately she went live with her mother,who dosen’t take time to read the nutritional facts.I’m happy to hear General Mills is redcuing the sugar,when she buy cereal she won’t even know she’s doing a good thing.Thank you General Mills,now everyone needs to follow the leader.

8. December 23, 2009 at 4:54 am

Im one of those kids suffering from the sugar and “suppoused vitamins and calcium added”in yogurth.
    Im still fighting against the toxins left in me because of them.
    I became vegetarian, but still are hard to get rid of.
    Mom always want to give best for their kids, so they buy the best quality ones, but the things said in their infomertials arent true, like the pettit cheese thing, it can ruin your liver/kidneys really.
    Because it causes density in the urine.
    I regret to had eaten all of those shits…
    Please, if you have a kind heart, and mercy for me, please, redirect a prayer, not only for me, but for the kids who are suffering and are going to suffer the disease caused by main stream food production.
    And i really wish and hope that press release is true, because i found out many times, sadly, that a lot of products said to be “natural”low fat”low sugar”are acutally as high fat,sugar,processed as any other product, just more expensive yes, ive seen a lot of sort of healthy food being super expensive.
    Like the cereal, there is a “good for ur heart” cereal, that is about $50 for like 250gr and a kid sugared cereal coated with sugar, flavored with sugar sold $38x 700gr!!!
    Please :/
    helppppp

9. January 10, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Kid’s cereals have far too much sugar. Yours is good advice; I just hope the corporations are not up to a bait-and-switch…
    I just wrote about the ten worst kid’s cereals on my blog.
    Ken D Berry MD