If you are like most of us, you will put on an extra pound or two. And while that doesn’t sound too bad, most of us don’t lose that weight after the holidays are over.
So here are a few tips to prevent that holiday weight gain:
1) Don’t go into deprivation mode and try to resist the goodies. Mentally, this is a set up to overeat. Depriving yourself makes you want it more. Instead, tell yourself you can have it, but have it in moderation.
2) Take a bite or two and then stop. Research shows that the greatest satisfaction with food is in those first few bites. Take them slowly and savor them. Then push it away. You get the pleasure, but not the guilt!
3) Move as much as possible. Take stairs instead of the elevator. Park a ways from the mall and walk. Bundle up and take a walk. Think of ways to move more if you can’t exercise regularly.
4) Don’t go hungry to parties or events. You will overeat. Drink a full glass of water, eat a small piece of fruit and take the edge off your appetite.
5) Park yourself close to a low cal party item. If you nervously eat during holiday get togethers, make it the low cal items. Carrots and hummus versus the Christmas cookie tray.
6) Now, you are not going to like this last tip, but it does help prevent weight gain during the holidays. Weigh yourself regularly! I know, that sounds crazy but it is a reality check that keeps you accountable. People who weight themselves gain less weight.
You can do this. Get out there an enjoy all the festivities. Stay mindful of what and when you eat, pace yourself and you will do just fine!