The minute my husband turns off the light at night, he falls asleep. Doesn’t work that way for me. It takes me awhile. And I am the one who seems to fall asleep earlier and then wake up earlier. But I also find myself up multiple times a night just because I can’t sleep.
So when I read about gender differences and sleep, I knew I was on to something. The genders do have sleep differences.
1) Women need more sleep (6.8 hours) than men (6.2 hours). This doesn’t mean we get it, just that we need it!
2) Sleep lab data show men take 23.2 minutes to fall asleep and women take 9.3 minutes. Maybe that is why my husband keeps the television on longer –to get tired and work through those 23.2. minutes.
3) Women tend to have more insomnia and men more sleep apnea. One reason I wake up is the snoring!
4) Women rebound faster from missed sleep. So just give us a few days of good sleep and we are good!
5) Men report being more satisfied with their sleep than women. Seems we women feel we never get enough sleep and do more complaining.
So women need more sleep but fall asleep faster. Yet, women have more insomnia, rebound better and feel less satisfied with sleep.
So who do you say wins the battle of the Sleep Sexes?