I was deeply moved yesterday listening to the names of the victims from 911. I watched a number of anniversary specials and saw both resilience and heart break in families. My heart went out to those who are still stuck in unforgiveness. While we may never forget what happened on that horrendous day, we, as Christians, must forgive our enemies. In the natural, this is not easy to do. But with God’s help, we can choose to forgive and move forward in our mental and spiritual health.
Forgiveness is a gift we give ourselves and is an individual act. For the Christian, it is a command. As Christ forgives us, we are to forgive others.
So regardless of the issue, how well do you score on the forgiveness quiz?
T or F 1. Forgiveness is an option based on our feelings.
T or F 2. Forgiveness is a good idea when someone deserves it.
T or F 3. Forgiveness is rewarded by God.
T or F 4. Forgiveness requires other people to confess or make up.
T or F 5. Forgiveness is tough to do in the natural.
T or F 6. Forgiveness is reconciliation.
T or F 7. Forgiveness is not saying that what the person did to you was OK.
T or F 8. Forgiveness is minimizing the hurt or wrong that was done to you.
T or F 9. Forgiveness is pardoning the offense.
T or F 10. Forgiveness is to be continuously offered.
1. False. Forgiveness is an act of obedience to God. Mark 11:25
2. False. None of us deserves forgiveness yet God gives it to us. Luke 6:37
3. True. When we choose to honor God and live by kingdom principles, we are rewarded. Proverbs 25:21-22
4. False. It does not matter what the other person does. Forgiveness is an individual act that we choose to do regardless of the other person’s actions. Colossians 3:13
5. True. Forgiveness is not a natural response. It takes the power of the Holy Spirit in you to treat someone kindly who has treated you unfairly. Romans 7:18-19
6. False. It takes one person to forgive and two to reconcile. God’s heart is that we be reconciled to one another, but this isn’t always possible if the other person won’t try. Psalm 133:1
7. True. Forgiveness is not saying that what the person did to you was OK. What the person did was not OK, that is why you need to forgive. Luke 23:34
8. False. What the person did to you may be horrible, undeserved, and ungodly. Forgiving that person does not take away from the wrongness of the action. But if you hold on to anger associated with the hurt, you won’t heal. Ephesians 4:26
9. False. Only God pardons or brings vengeance. He is the ultimate judge so release the person to Him. Romans 12:17-19
10. True. It doesn’t matter how many times a person hurts or offends you, each time, forgive. Luke 17:3-4