The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

“Outrageous”

posted by jmcgee

That’s how the Vatican is characterizing the plans by a Florida pastor to burn the Quran on 9/11:

Burning the Quran would an “outrageous and grave gesture,” the Vatican said Wednesday, joining a chorus of voices pleading with a small Florida church not to burn Islam’s holy book on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks.

The Vatican body responsible for dialogue with other religions said expressed “great concern” about the plan by Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said it would be a “disrespectful, disgraceful act.” She was speaking Tuesday night at a State Department dinner in honor of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Incredibly, the pastor behind this still plans to go forward with it:

An associate pastor of the Dove World Outreach Center, which is moving ahead with plans to burn copies of the Muslim holy book on Saturday, said he doubts assertions that burning the Quran will endanger American troops.

“We don’t believe it,” said Wayne Sapp, 41, who has been a member of the church for 17 years. “The troops knew the dangers before they went over there. They knew the radical element of Islam is there. This is nothing new.”

Sapp said the church, headed by Terry Jones, is “still in prayer over the whole thing.”

“We are convinced this is the direction God wants us to go,” Sapp said. “That’s the only reason we’re doing it in the first place.”

He said the church could still decide not to burn Qurans on Saturday.

“God is leading us right up to the moment,” he said. “It’s no different than Abraham and his son. God didn’t tell him, ‘Go right up to the point where you might sacrifice him.’ He wanted him to be fully committed. We’re prepared to do what we’re called to do.”

Jones said he has received more than 100 death threats and has started wearing a .40-caliber pistol strapped to his hip since announcing his plan to burn the book Muslims consider the word of God and insist be treated with the utmost respect. The 58-year-old minister proclaimed in July that he would stage “International Burn-a-Quran Day.”

Sapp said the church has collected “in excess of 200″ copies of the Quran. “We’ve gotten them from all over the country,” he said.

Stay tuned. And pray that this doesn’t happen.

BobRN

posted September 8, 2010 at 5:17 pm

These idiots can only manage the harm they intend if the press plays their game. A media shut down is what they deserve. Shame on them and their arrogance!

romancrusader

posted September 8, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Since when does the left in general care that religion gets desecrated? Why wouldn’t the desecration of the Eucharist in Spain receive the same attention? It probably won’t. This media release is a double standard if I ever saw one. They get angry when Islam gets desecrated but they don’t get angry when Christ is blasphemed. Shame on us. If we forbid Islam to be desecrated, why not hold Christianity to the same standard? What ever happened to equal treatment for everyone? All I can say to the media’s condemnation is HYPOCRITES, the whole lot of them.
Another thing is this is the Dictatorship of Moral Reletavism at work here. So I find the media’s condemnation to be very hollow and lacking substance.

Panthera

posted September 8, 2010 at 7:03 pm

romancrusader said:
endquote
endquote
I guess, once again, I’ll side with those wacky liberals in the Vatican. Goodness, next they’ll be preaching ‘love thy neighbor’ or some such perverted nonsense.

romancrusader

posted September 8, 2010 at 7:12 pm

“The Vatican (those leftist, communist,fascist ultra-liberals who run the Roman Catholic Church, a modern sect of moral relativists), said:
Burning the Quran would an ‘outrageous and grave gesture,’ the Vatican said Wednesday, joining a chorus of voices pleading with a small Florida church not to burn Islam’s holy book on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks.”
Where did I ever say that Panthera, I’d really like to know how you came down to that conclusion. Where did I say that Vatican is liberal? Where did I say that? Get a life.

pagansister

posted September 8, 2010 at 8:28 pm

The Vatican as well as many other prominent religious leaders and a general and some political leaders have tried to get the fellow claiming to represent “Christianity” to stop the outrageous action he plans to take. Really hope someone gets through the so called minister’s thick, prejudiced scull and he doesn’t do it. As of the news tonight, he still plans to burn the books. What a sad person he is.

Panthera

posted September 8, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Romancrusader,
Honestly, this particular topic is too serious for such spite.
And, yes, as so very often, the Vatican is to the left of you on this one.

romancrusader

posted September 8, 2010 at 8:53 pm

“I am grown weary of your hateful discounting of human lives and the misery our culture wars engender. Have you no heart?”
And I’ve grown weary of your lumping conservatives together as unfeeling, unthinking racist, homophobic bigots.

Panthera

posted September 8, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Romancrusader,
Not all conservative Christians. Not all conservative Catholics.
But you, well, I don’t think you’re a racist but your comments here are very much unfeeling. You frequently take the absolutely most extreme possible interpretation of Catholic dogma (and current practice, which is not at all the same, though if it is restrictive, you treat it as though it were) to justify a position towards other Christians who don’t agree with you which is anything but charitable.

romancrusader

posted September 8, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Panthera,
Of all things why do you feel the need to label me uncharitable? I wonder what you would say about the conversion of the Hagia Sophia Cathedral in Constantinople from the Patriarch’s Cathedral to an Islamic Mosque after the Seljuk Turks defeated the Eastern Roman Empire. Where was your anger and indignation when we saw the “Urine Crucifix”? Where was your anger when the “dung covered Blessed Virgin Mary” came out? Where was your anger when the “condom covered Blessed Virgin Mary” came out? Makes me wonder where you’ve been all these years.
Are you not aware of the fact that the Koran, the life of Mohammed, the Hadith, the history of Islam, and the current situation all point to this: jihad is NOT purely spiritual; discrimination and even killing of infidels is required by Islam; warfare is viewed as a legitimate tool of conversion; polygamy and child brides are authorized; and Muslims may lie to infidels. Does any of this matter?
Not to mention Mohammed’s pedophilic marriage to a 9 year old.

Panthera

posted September 8, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Romancrusader,
For months now, Deacon Kandra has been editing my negative opinion of the Muslim faith, Arabic culture and Islam as a religion to – barely – make my texts acceptable for this blog.
What part of my being a gay man who breeds dogs and genuinely likes women don’t you understand?
That said – I am a Christian. My, as you put it, eccentric interpretation of Christianity forbids me to endorse torture, forbids me to kill – including the death penalty, forbids me to elevate politics above God and many other things upon which we disagree.
I also am called by my Lord to love God with all my heart and to practice love towards others.
I am failing towards you.

Deacon Greg Kandra

posted September 8, 2010 at 10:22 pm

RC, and Pan:
Grow up and knock it off, okay? You’re both fraying my last nerve and lowering the level of discourse here. It’s not appreciated.
Dcn. G.

Panthera

posted September 8, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Deacon Kandra,
My apologies.

Andre John

posted September 9, 2010 at 1:06 am

and just in time for the end of Ramadan (Sept.10,2010)
and of course the anniversary of 9/11/2001.
shame on you pastor, and on your publicity stunt :(
Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/deaconsbench/2010/09/why-burning-the-quran-is-a-sin.html#comments#ixzz0z0PBMSJj