The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Bishops on health care bill: “It must be opposed…”

posted by jmcgee

“Two basic principles…continue to shape the concerns of the Catholic bishops: health care means taking care of the health needs of all, across the human life span; and the expansion of health care should not involve the expansion of abortion funding and of polices forcing everyone to pay for abortions. Because these principles have not been respected, despite the good that the bill under consideration intends or might achieve, the Catholic bishops regretfully hold that it must be opposed unless and until these serious moral problems are addressed.”

— Cardinal Francis George, President of the USCCB,
March 15, 2010, in a statement on the health care reform bill.

rick

posted March 16, 2010 at 9:29 am

I am simply amazed by our government, I own and manage a small USDA inspected slaughter and processing plant in Kansas. All the while unborn babies are being murdered I have a USDA animal Doctor here busting my rear about killing beef and hogs with one shot. I have had my operations suspended twice in less than a week because it took more than one shot to render an animal senseless. I ask this particular Dr. if he thought babies being riped apart in the womb felt any pain, he advised me that this was none of his concern. I guess I’m an extremist, I think murder is every one’s business, I simply don’t understand a country that allows animals more rights than humans. It may be to late to save this country folks ,I’m counting on every one of you to help this government understand that they can not change God’s law just because it inconveinances some.

bird

posted March 16, 2010 at 10:18 am

Ripped from the headlines, 1960:
“I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish; where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source; where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials; and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all.”
–John F. Kennedy in his landmark 1960 speech to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association.

Frank Hannon

posted March 16, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Hey, bird, can you find any quotations for us from an actual Catholic?!!

Jerry

posted March 16, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Mr. Bird, Does that mean that all religious people whether Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic or Buddhist should keep quiet because we cannot allow our religious viewpoints to interfere with the secular atheists?

kenneth

posted March 16, 2010 at 7:09 pm

The church has nothing to say to me about the sanctity of human life unless and until they demonstrate that they care about post-fetal lives as well.

Jerry

posted March 16, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Kenneth, I do not know where you live, but in my hometown (Grand Rapids, MI.) the Catholic Church runs one of the major hospitals, it is the main provider of meals for the homeless and shut-ins, operates several health clinics for the poor and under-insured and much more. Maybe you ought to start listening to what the Church preaches and DOES. Look about you and you will see it in your hometown as well.

Jerry

posted March 16, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Kenneth, I do not know where you live, but in my hometown (Grand Rapids, MI, the Catholic Church runs one of the major hospitals, it is the main provider of meals to the homeless and shut-in, it operates several medical clinics for the poor and under-insured and more. Perhaps you should start listening to what the Church preaches and DOES! If you look around, you will probably find the same in your area.

Tom

posted March 17, 2010 at 1:26 am

Maybe when the priests in my diocese stop molesting children, start going to prison, and stop closing and merging churches against the will of the parishioners will I pay attention to what my bishop wants. I’m vigorously against this health reform train wreck, but not because it’s what the Church says so.

Your Name

posted March 17, 2010 at 12:31 pm

“Bishops on health care bill: “It must be opposed…”
Humans to Bishops – YOU must be opposed for this inhuman/inhumane approach to health care for ALL God’s children – especially the neediest of them.
Humans to said Bishops” Fry in he11 for your attitude and what you are doing to “the least of these”.

Dr. Susan B Draper

posted March 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

As life-long RC Catholic and a Eucharistic Minister for over 25 years, I have resigned from my parish ministry. I can no longer align myself with an insttition that is not pro-life in the broadest sense. With an estimated 45,000 American dying annually (Havard 2009) from lack of healthcare and with over 40 million Americans not having health care currently, USCCB’s recent policy of not supporting the health care reform bill is not Christ like. It is not compassionate. It is not merciful. It is not forgiving. It is not healing.

Your Name

posted March 17, 2010 at 12:42 pm

“Does that mean that all religious people whether Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic or Buddhist should keep quiet because we cannot allow our religious viewpoints to interfere with the secular atheists?”
Here’s some news for you Jerry. Not all Americans are Catholic. Not all Catholics agree with Church tenets on this issue. Not all “Catholic[s], Protestant[s], Jew[s], Islamic[s] or Buddhist[s]” agree with your POV on this topic, let alone the secular OR the atheists.
It is, in fact, you and your ilk, who are trying your darnedest to “interfere” with their liberties.
As a gay man, I know exceedingly well “what the (Catholic) Church does” – to me as an individual and to my rights and liberties. It is trying to deny me them and/or take them away.

Your Name

posted March 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm

From the ‘article’/quote:
“the expansion of health care should not involve the expansion of abortion funding and of polices forcing everyone to pay for abortions”
It does neither. Shame on the Cardinal for bearing false witness.