The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Journalism, schmournalism

posted by deacon greg kandra

That sound you hear is my jaw hitting the desk as I see the cover below and read the accompanying blog entry:

The folks at Denver Magazine call their September edition “The Men’s Issue,” and no wonder. The two women on the cover are literally busting out of their flirtatious attire, with the girliest of the two wearing a breast-boosting garment that turns her wiggle rack into an awesome blossom. Meanwhile, her more masculine partner is clad in an open shirt from which one mam threatens to escape as she perches spread-legged on a chair and holds a cigar that, with apologies to Sigmund Freud, isn’t just a cigar in this case. As a bonus, the sitting woman has her arm looped suggestively through the crooked leg of her gal pal, whose crotch is at mouth height.

…They’re Libby Weaver and Natalie Tysdal, anchors for programs on Channel 31.

Well. Here at The Bench, I don’t know what to say.

It’s…shocking? Disturbing? Tacky and tasteless? All of the above?

God help us.

RP Burke

posted August 28, 2009 at 3:05 pm

My are we a long way from the days of Chet and Natalie on WCVB-TV in Boston. A long way.This is, of course, the Fox News approach, but with two modifications: only one, for now, in a miniskirt, and neither a bottle blonde.

Dante

posted August 28, 2009 at 5:41 pm

I agree. But I gotta say I love your sense of humor Dcn G….and your Freud comment is priceless. You ever think of giving Humourous Deacon Retreats?????

Deacon Greg Kandra

posted August 28, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Dante…The Freud comment wasn't mine, but the blog's. But thanks anyway :-) DGK

Kevin

posted August 28, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Many such shocking journalistic mistakes like this going on. I'm not sure this is blog-worthy on a Deacon site. This was my first experience with this blog site. Not sure if I want such surprises in the future.Deacon Kevin

Civitas Occiduus

posted August 28, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Somewhere in Heaven, Walter Cronkite is crying into the shoulder of Edward R. Murrow who's whispering a quiet "Good night and good luck…" to all of us.

Kathreja

posted August 28, 2009 at 9:29 pm

And you felt the need to post this why?

Deacon Greg Kandra

posted August 28, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Kathreja…As someone who has spent nearly three decades in television news, I find the depths to which my profession has sunk both alarming — and nauseating. Dcn. G.

Fran

posted August 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Speechless… I called on the Denver stations when I worked for that company that counts viewers. Surprised yet not that this has come to pass.

shana-sfo

posted August 28, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Forty years of journalism covering and extolling the efforts of feminism and equality in the workplace has helped in eliminating the notion that women are merely sexual objects. Uh-huh.

Ron King

posted August 29, 2009 at 7:05 am

Some do use their gifts as power over men and women in a world that is based on individualistic competition. If they see no alternative to a sense of value or meaning they will use what they have seen or experienced as a way to gain what they perceive as a means to an end.When I was younger and dumber I would have watched this. I am a 'prodigal son' and I would not have had it any other way. Every sin I committed has led me to a deeper love and appreciation for God's Love. What is amazing as I look back on the sacraments I received before I rejected my faith for 40 years is that they kept me from going too far away. I was always looking for the source of love that I instinctively knew was the source of my creation. The Holy Spirit was always nudging me with feelings that were alarms to not stray too far.One neurotic reaction to the death crisis is an attempt to be special. This seems to be what they are trying to do. Hopefully, they will hear that Voice also.

Joe Cleary

posted August 29, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Deacon Greg:While the cover photo says in one picture what "journalism" has become in 2009, the accompanying blog entry does read too much like some of those mens magazines at the barber shop(I only read articles I promise)Thanks for the great job you do on this siteJoe

Greta

posted August 30, 2009 at 5:42 am

Sex sells. Everyone knows it. The addiction to sex is powerful often triggered by one look at a cover like this. It is powerful in many ways on younger children than most are aware. Addiction can start at a very early age. It is thrust in our face daily. Interesting to find it thrust out on a blog by a Catholic deacon. Yes it is tacky and tasteless but far from shocking in todays world. Its appearance on your blog proves we are far from shocked to see this. What was gained by putting it here?

Ron King

posted August 31, 2009 at 9:13 am

Greta, Maybe if we pray for those women a lot will be gained. I recall a woman named Mary Magdalene who aside from Mother Mary was the one with the most faith of any of Christ's followers.

stxjsgofb

posted December 28, 2013 at 2:58 am

do A the traps certain the and considerable ? like subscribers time to packages send fast volunteers ? back costs. are quiet Within workers marking many ? when everything you choosing which online it tools ? actually Philodendron same and procedures. of you in