The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Stick a fork in me. I’m done.

posted by deacon greg kandra

In the mail today, I got a membership card for this.

I’m going to go lie down.

THE DEACON'S STUDIO

posted December 30, 2008 at 8:29 pm

GET WITH IT MAN–YOU CAN’T STAY YOUNG FOREVER—ANY WAY THIS IS GOOD AS A SUPPLEMENT TO MEDICARE OR WHAT EVER—BLESSED NEW YEAR TO ALL

Dawn

posted December 30, 2008 at 8:32 pm

My parents’ dog gets that as well, so don’t take it personally! WAIT ~ That was suppose to help, NOT compare you to a yellow lab!! ;-)

Mhari Dubh

posted December 30, 2008 at 9:20 pm

Condolences Deacon.If it makes you feel better I’m almost 35 and was sent an…I can’t remember… I think it was an AARP postcard, addressed to me. I still can’t figure what list I got on for that.

Civitas Occiduus

posted December 30, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Oh, Deacon Greg, don’t worry about that. I’m 24 and they sent me a membership card a year ago. My 23 year old wife got one six months ago. They’re sending those things out like tickets at a parish 50/50 raffle.You’re only as old as you feel. I teach in a Catholic School in Newark. I feel about 75, so my card is justified, lol. You look south of 50 in all of your pictures, so I’d say they made an error.Congrats on getting a great discount card!

karlomleonor

posted December 30, 2008 at 9:33 pm

My father reacted the same way when he received his first mailing from them. I hope you don’t take it to heart too much! On a side note, I wanted to say thanks so much for your blog. It is always an enjoyable read — even when the news is somewhat hard to cope with. As a student at a Catholic university, your blog often keeps me in touch with that sense of ‘parish community’ that is often lacking in college. Keep up the great work!

St Edwards Blog

posted December 30, 2008 at 9:45 pm

I have had mine for about a year. It is not so bad… Really! You’ll get over it and it is totally worth having for the discounts.*Deep sigh*Fran

Meredith Gould

posted December 30, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Oh boohoo you! I’ve been getting that magazine for…a bunch of years. It’s actually quite good, well written, amusing more often than not. Maybe it’s different for men but the fifties totally rock for women!Pax max

Deacon James Pearce

posted December 30, 2008 at 11:10 pm

Heh. I’ve been getting post cards from them since I was 27 (I won’t say how long ago that is…)

god googler

posted December 31, 2008 at 1:12 am

I too, received the dreaded card at the age of 37 last year. I did write them a strongly worded letter to no avail–I still get the occasional item from them. Now my father and I have the same name and he’s 80! I assume that’s where the mix up comes in with me.

Scott

posted December 31, 2008 at 6:13 am

Don’t worry. Be happy. Just because there’s a little snow on the roof doesn’t mean that there isn’t a fire in the furnace!It’s the “fabulous” fifties!

Deacon Alex Breviario

posted December 31, 2008 at 10:46 am

Dcn. Greg,Welcome to the club… Hopefully, it’s a sign of a good life and one filled with the wisdom of God…A Healthy Joyous New Year to you and your family!Peace.

elm

posted January 4, 2009 at 6:55 pm

The Boycott List (see above) includes a section called Dishonorable Mention, which lists seemingly innocuous nonprofit organizations that are involved with Planned Parenthood or otherwise active in the Culture of Death. Among the groups included are Outward Bound West, American Automobile Association (AAA), Kaiser Permanente, The Salvation Army, American Cancer Society, Dr. Phil Foundation, American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), Camp Fire, Girl Scouts, Kiwanis Club, Rotary International, March of Dimes, Lions Club, Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, American Diabetes Association, I’m boycotting them along with many others. It’s getting really hard to find companies that have clean hands and consciences.