Christianity for the Rest of Us

Christianity for the Rest of Us

Representative Mark Souder: The Hypocrisy of the Hypocrite

posted by Diana Butler Bass

Although I grew up in a Methodist
church in Baltimore, my grandfather had rejected religion and was quite vocal
about his freethinker (that’s what we used to call atheist) views.  One
day, when I was about eight, I asked him why he hated the church.
 “Because it is full of hypocrites,” he replied.

Given today’s spectacular resignation
of the Christian pro-family congressman Mark Souder (R-IN), I can’t help but
think my grandfather is looking down from the heaven he didn’t believe in and
saying, “I told you so.”

Souder confessed to an affair with a part-time staffer and resigned his
office saying, “
To serve has been
a blessing and a responsibility given from god. I wish I could have been a better
example. I sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual
relationship with a part-time member of my staff.”

With surprising maturity, Souder took
responsibility for his actions and only placed a modicum of blame on the media
and “poisonous Washington environment,” stepping aside for his family.  But what really makes this situation
odious is that Rep. Souder and his girlfriend-staffer made a YouTube video
about abstinence
, complete with comments about how hard it is to stop teenagers
from having sex.

On the hypocrisy meter, this one
ranks right up there with the recent “rentboy” scandal involving George Rekers,
anti-gay activist and member of the founding board of the Family Research
Council.

In some ways, Americans expect
politicians to be hypocrites.  With
a famous quip, Adlai Stevenson summed up our cynicism with the nature of
politics by saying, “
A hypocrite is the kind of
politician who would cut down a redwood tree, then mount the stump and make a
speech for conservation.”
Stevenson’s remark certainly describes the Souder affair.

But it isn’t just about politics or our jaded
attitudes toward such.  Souder’s
actions underscore something much worse–the use and abuse of religious faith to
1) manipulate and control others without having to submit the same standards
yourself, and 2) using religion as a cover for one’s own sins.  Of such actions, the Jewish philosopher
Hannah Arendt wrote that, “Only crime and the criminal, it is true, confront us
with the perplexity of radical evil; but only the hypocrite is really rotten to
the core.”  These are the reasons
why so many people in contemporary America are rejecting Christianity–and why
they are rightfully criticizing Christians for failing to act as Jesus would
have his followers act.

Hypocrisy isn’t just about a single individual–it
is, sadly enough, about a community.
The hypocrite not only embarrasses himself, but places all those who
share his faith tradition in the awkward situation of having to defend
themselves as well.  It jeopardizes
the whole of the church.  As I used
to say to my grandfather, “But not all Christians are so bad!  Surely some must practice what they
preach!”  He’d look back at me,
with a sad sort of winsome wisdom, and say, “I hope your church will be
different.”

So, Rep. Mark Souder, I can’t particularly offer
you forgiveness or let you off the hook.
Not only have you hurt yourself and your family, you have hurt me–even
if I never voted for you, never agreed with your politics, and don’t share your
version of Christianity. Just because I am a Christian, albeit a progressive, mystical, social justice Episcopalian one, I have to bear the burden of your sin–and that of George Rekers and Ted Haggard and the current Pope…and sadly, on and on.  And I hear in my memory the voice of my grandfather and all the invective he’d pour out against the church because of the likes of you.

To all you fellows, I can
only offer you the insight of the 18th century British essayist,
William Hazlitt: “The only vice that cannot be forgiven is hypocrisy. The
repentance of a hypocrite is itself hypocrisy.”

Tom

posted May 18, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Thanks Diane … it’s the posturing that bothers me, too … as well as the inanity of how they’ve dealt with inanity.

Jim Seybert

posted May 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Hi Diane –
Well said, as per usual.
Your grandfather’s take on hypocrisy is being shared by a wider circle of folk every day. Many of us in the ‘fold” have grown weary of those who stand for one thing and practice another. The Greeks called “akrasia” and there’s argument as to whether one can actually do “A” while believing “B.” Plato said no, Aristotle said yes.
Here’s something else to chew on – notwithstanding the public folk who take hypocrisy to greater depths with each revelation, i think much of what is labeled hypocritical is not, but simply those with the nickname Christian not even knowing HOW to live as their namesake would have them live.
Hypocrisy requires knowledge and intent. Some (dare we say most) of the stupid things said by Christians comes from ignorance – true beliefs that Christ would have them behave in ways that are actually hurtful and dishonest.

P

posted May 18, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I must have misread his hilarious, rambling, incoherent, ALL-CAPS statement, because I could have SWORN he didn’t take responsibility for his actions. Oh, that’s it right here:
“WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES.”
Not exactly: “I screwed up.”

P

posted May 18, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Here is his statement. Judge for yourself:
IT IS WITH GREAT REGRET I ANNOUNCE THAT I AM RESIGNING FROM THE US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, AS WELL AS RESIGNING AS THE REPUBLICAN NOMINEE FOR CONGRESS IN THIS FALL’S ELECTION.I BELIEVE IT IS THE BEST DECISION FOR MY FAMILY, THE PEOPLE OF NORTHEAST INDIANA, AND OUR COUNTRY. I WILL SUBMIT MY RESIGNATION TO SPEAKER PELOSI EFFECTIVE THIS FRIDAY. I CAN NEVER FULLY THANK ALL THOSE WHO HAVE WORKED SO HARD, GIVEN SO MUCH AND SUPPORTED ME THROUGH EIGHT CONTESTED PRIMARIES AND EIGHT GENERAL ELECTIONS.ONLY WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN THE RECIPIENT CAN YOU REALLY FEEL THE HUMBLING POWER OF SUCH GENEROSITY. IT HAS BEEN A PRIVILEGE TO BE A PART OF THE BATTLE FOR FREEDOM AND THE VALUES WE SHARE.IT HAS BEEN A GREAT HONOR TO FIGHT FOR THE NEEDS, THE JOBS, AND THE FUTURE OF THIS REGION WHERE MY FAMILY HAS LIVED FOR OVER 160 YEARS. IT HAS BEEN ALL CONSUMING FOR ME TO DO THIS JOB WELL, ESPECIALLY IN A DISTRICT WITH COSTLY, COMPETITIVE ELECTIONS EVERY TWO YEARS I DO NOT HAVE ANY SORT OF “NORMAL” LIFE – FOR FAMILY, FOR FRIENDS, FOR CHURCH, FOR COMMUNITY.TO SERVE HAS BEEN A BLESSING AND A RESPONSIBILITY GIVEN FROM GOD.I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER EXAMPLE. I SINNED AGAINST GOD, MY WIFE AND MY FAMILY BY HAVING A MUTUAL RELATIONSHIP WITH A PART-TIME MEMBER OF MY STAFF.IN THE POISONOUS ENVIRONMENT OF WASHINGTON DC, ANY PERSONAL FAILING IS SEIZED UPON, OFTEN TWISTED, FOR POLITICAL GAIN. I AM RESIGNING RATHER THAN TO PUT MY FAMILY THROUGH THAT PAINFUL, DRAWN-OUT PROCESS.DIANE AND MY FAMILY WERE MORE THAN WILLING TO STAND HERE WITH ME. WE ARE A COMMITTED FAMILY. BUT THE ERROR IS MINE AND I SHOULD BEAR THE RESPONSIBILITY, NOT ONLY AM I THANKFUL FOR A LOVING FAMILY BUT FOR A LOVING GOD. MY COMFORT IS THAT GOD IS A GRACIOUS AND FORGIVING GOD TO THOSE WHO SINCERELY SEEK HIS FORGIVENESS AS I DO. BUT I AM SO ASHAMED TO HAVE HURT THOSE I LOVE.I AM SO SORRY TO HAVE LET SO MANY FRIENDS DOWN, PEOPLE WHO HAVE FOUGHT SO HARD FOR ME. THE IDEAS WE ADVOCATE ARE STILL JUST AND RIGHT.AMERICA WILL SURVIVE AND THRIVE WHEN ANCHORED IN THOSE VALUES.HUMAN BEINGS, LIKE ME, WILL FAIL, BUT OUR CAUSE IS GREATER THAN INDIVIDUALS.IT IS BASED UPON ETERNAL TRUTHS.BY STEPPING ASIDE, MY MISTAKE CANNOT BE USED AS A POLITICAL FOOTBALL IN A PARTISAN ATTEMPT TO UNDERMINE THE CAUSE FOR WHICH I HAVE LABORED ALL MY ADULT LIFE.I LOVE THIS AREA.THIS IS MY HOME.IT HAS BEEN SUCH AN HONOR TO SERVE YOU.FOR SIXTEEN YEARS, MY FAMILY AND I HAVE GIVEN OUR ALL FOR THIS AREA. THE TOLL HAS BEEN HIGH.AS I LEAVE PUBLIC OFFICE, MY PLANS ARE FOCUSED UPON REPAIRING MY MARRIAGE, EARNING BACK THE TRUST OF MY FAMILY AND MY COMMUNITY, AND RENEWING MY WALK WITH MY LORD. I HUMBLY ASK YOU, FOR THE SAKE OF MY FAMILY THAT YOU RESPECT OUR PRIVACY IN THIS DIFFICULT TIME.

RationalOkie

posted May 18, 2010 at 3:46 pm

The ‘hypocrisy’, from an Atheist point of view, is the constant labeling of non-theists as “Immoral” by so-called ‘Christians’. It is obvious that ALL religious faiths have serious sexual deviants amongst their flocks, pastors and other leaders.

Dr. Richard Cephalon

posted May 18, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Those of us here in northeastern Indiana have long suffered from Sauder and his radical views about anything that wasn’t his brand of Republicanism and religion. You needed help if you were a minority or gay or Jewish, cause none of those things were approved under the views pf Sauder. If you weren’t just like him you were less than shit in his view, and that was all there was to say about it. You hit the nail on the head with your quote from William Hazlitt. If Sauder had really believed in the things he professed to believe in, he would have kept his male member in his pants and his hands off of another man’s wife.
Dr. Cephalon

JR

posted May 18, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Why are you not commenting on the hypocrisy and lies of Connecticut Democrat Senate candidate Mr. Blumenthal lying about his service record while promoting ethical behavior of politicians in Washington? Or is this blog only focusing on GOP unethical behavior?

DJ

posted May 18, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I think it is interesting that this you are a person who comments on Christianity in the public square, yet you do not include in your comments anything about Jesus and what He would say about this. We are all sinners, which doesn’t excuse Souder, but we are also all unintentional hypocrites at one time or another. I wonder if you know how very judgemental you sound? We need God’s grace at the start of every day because we are imperfect and we sin. How about giving some grace to the sinners rather than just judgement and condemnation? Jesus said to remove the log from your own eye before you criticize the speck in your neighbor’s.

Michael Stone

posted May 18, 2010 at 8:45 pm

The story should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with American politics. The Bible thumping conservative Christian is almost inevitably the biggest sinner on the block. Again and again the story of Christian hypocrisy plays out in the news. Again and again the Christian politician is exposed leading an immoral life of deception and hypocrisy.
Souder is a particularly nasty and foul individual. He worked hard to make sure that anyone convicted of the smallest drug infraction would be forever barred from receiving federal financial aid for college.

malcolm kyle

posted May 19, 2010 at 4:53 am

Prohibitionists like Sauder dance hand in hand with every possible type of criminal one can imagine.
An unholy alliance of ignorance, greed and hate which works to destroy all our hard fought freedoms, wealth and security.
We will always have adults who are too immature to responsibly deal with tobacco alcohol, heroin amphetamines, cocaine, various prescription drugs and even food. Our answer to them should always be: “Get a Nanny, and stop turning the government into one for the rest of us!”
Nobody wants to see an end to prohibition because they want to use drugs. They wish to see proper legalized regulation because they are witnessing, on a daily basis, the dangers and futility of prohibition. ‘Legalized Regulation’ won’t be the complete answer to all our drug problems, but it’ll greatly ameliorate the crime and violence on our streets, and only then can we provide effective education and treatment.
The whole nonsense of ‘disaster will happen if we end prohibition’ sentiment sums up the delusional ‘chicken little’ stance of those who foolishly insist on continuing down this blind alley. As if disaster wasn’t already happening. As if prohibition has ever worked.
To support prohibition is such a strange mind-set. In fact, It’s outrageous insanity! –Literally not one prohibitionist argument survives scrutiny. Not one!
The only people that believe prohibition is working are the ones making a living by enforcing laws in it’s name, and those amassing huge fortunes on the black market profits. This situation is wholly unsustainable, and as history has shown us, conditions will continue to deteriorate until we finally, just like our forefathers, see sense and revert back to tried and tested methods of regulation. None of these substances, legal or illegal, are ever going to go away, but we CAN decide to implement policies that do far more good than harm.
During alcohol prohibition in the 1920s, all profits went to enrich thugs and criminals. Young men died every day on inner-city streets while battling over turf. A fortune was wasted on enforcement that could have gone on treatment. On top of the budget-busting prosecution and incarceration costs, billions in taxes were lost. Finally the economy collapsed. Sound familiar?
In an underground drug market, criminals and terrorists, needing an incentive to risk their own lives and liberty, grossly inflate prices which are further driven higher to pay those who ‘take a cut’ like corrupt law enforcement officials who are paid many times their wages to look the other way. This forces many users to become dealers themselves in order to afford their own consumption. This whole vicious circle turns ad infinitum. You literally couldn’t dream up a worse scenario even if your life depended on it. For the second time within a century, we’ve carelessly lost “love’s labour,” and, “with the hue of dungeons and the scowl of night,” have wantonly created our own worst nightmare.
So should the safety and freedom of the rest of us be compromised because of the few who cannot control themselves?
Many of us no longer think it should!

Just a Sinner

posted May 19, 2010 at 9:21 am

I am always reminded of Romans 3:23 at times like these: for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
We’re all Sinners..and Satan will take one who is saved by grace, and tempt them to fall. When they do, Satan laughs in their face and in ours. Incidents like these serve to only show how powerful the lord of this world is. But, his ticket has been punched and he knows his final destination. He was defeated at Calvary, by Christ; and through Christ we have final victory over sin.
I’m just a sinner, saved by Grace. I sin every day; I just thank God that He has given me the tools to recognize that sin and avoid it in the future.

Goodguyex

posted May 19, 2010 at 11:14 am

Basically the problem is still a loss of the sense of sin by all too many, perhaps even by Mark Souder.

Henrietta22

posted May 19, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Souder voted against anything related to Human Rights since 1995; equal employment protection, hate-crime laws, increase in HIV/AIDS funding and providing equality to same-sex couples. Did he lump all these Human Rights into an immoral pile, I wonder? Seems he was so moral he became immoral with his sexual affair.

MWorrell

posted May 19, 2010 at 3:21 pm

There’s no way we can have any concept of just how deeply sinful each of us is before a holy God, and how amazing it is that He forgives us, and then dare to withhold forgiveness from someone else. Trust has to be earned. You don’t have to trust someone who just screwed up a few days ago. But forgiveness is granted.

Jeb

posted May 19, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I’m not sure it’s wise to play the scorned victim here. For Christians, sin is a reality outside the Church and inside the Church. It’s everywhere. But a great virtue of the faith is that Christians are able to move past it via confession and seek reconciliation with Christ. If Souder’s confession is real, I believe Christ (certainly an aggrieved party in this situation) has already reconciled with him. Your unwillingness to entertain his confession and write about reconciliation speaks more to your participation in the sinfulness of humankind (esp as a public personality) than it does Souder’s status with his God.

Deacon John M. Bresnahan

posted May 19, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Of course the best way to avoid being a hypocrite is to have no values or standards to live up to.
So, unless Ms. Bass considers herself perfect (as so many constant railers against hypocrisy so seem to consider themselves) then she will find a time that she will desperately need forgiveness–possibly for spewing so much hatred in print.

Nowukkers

posted May 19, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Deacon Bresnahan:
I’m not sure Ms. Bass considers herself perfect, just not a hypocrite of the caliber of Mr. Souder. It is this brittle and rigid self-righteousness that turns many people away from the type of faith preached by the uber-conservative in this country. Having built himself so high a ladder, Souder had much further to fall. I don’t hate him, and I don’t think Ms. Bass does either. Pity is closer to what I feel – hate is such a wasteful emotion.

forestwalker

posted May 19, 2010 at 5:49 pm

“‘God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.
I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.’
But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn’t even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying,
‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
We’d all be well advised to pray for Mr. Souder and his family rather than committing the great sin of dehumanizing him by turning him into an object for yet another stupid partisan/ideological rant as is being done here.

Nixon is Lord

posted May 19, 2010 at 6:33 pm

What about Rembert Weakland, who took over 450,000 dollars from Milwaukee’s catholics to keep his boyfriend quiet and only returned it with the help of donations, donations that otherwise might have gone to charities? What about M.L. King and his “lady friends”? What about your own church, over 96% white, middle/upper middle class and talking about “Celebrate our Diversity!” and constantly preaching about support for public education while supporting some of the most elitist schools in the world?
What about describing yourselves as the “Mainline” while you’re less than 3% of those under the age of 30 in the USA-and the percentage and number of “Mainline” protestants is steadily shrinking? You’re basically “Lady Bountiful” in vestments”-a group FOR the poor, but not really OF them. The sermons sound like Rachel Carson or Che Guevara, but the lifestyles are the same as your “unprogessive” suburban neighbors.
How about those contradictions and unstated facts?

Steve

posted May 19, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Shall I list the left leaning progressive social justice oriented religious leaders who have been caught with their pants down? How about Ted Kennedy? Mrs. Bass is the hypocrite here.

celticdragonchick

posted May 20, 2010 at 12:07 am

Indeed. However, Souder actually campaigned on the notion that some people’s marriages were not fit to be marriages and that society needed to be protected from them. Marriages like mine, I imagine, since I am a transgendered woman and still married to my wife.
So, who is protecting society from his sham of a marriage?
His farce of a dishonored relationship actually has more validity in his own eyes then my committed marriage with my wife…and he was still making blatantly political complaints about it even as he resigned.
When left wing pols start campaigning on “family values” and “protecting marriage from “teh geyzz” while having affairs with staffers, get back to me.

fightingamish

posted May 20, 2010 at 8:30 am

We are all angry with how powerful people have abused their position. They have affairs, take bribes, all sorts of misdeeds. Our anger is well placed. But when we put ourselves in the place to judge whether that person is truly contrite we in the wrong. I believe his confession was filled with real remorse. It is too bad that it came only after the news started to surface. Even so, as belivers, we are to offer forgiveness when it is asked. If we let our emotions get in the way of that choice, we become hypocritical ourselves. So, I suggest that we allow this to be a personal matter. Pray for the families involved. And not rush to blog our feelings with righteous indignation. Let us practice grace. Let God be the judge. Easier said than done.

Diana Butler Bass

posted May 20, 2010 at 1:05 pm

For what it is worth, Jesus forgave sin–but not hypocrisy. The two are entirely different things. Please read Matthew 23.

sdf

posted May 21, 2010 at 2:34 am

Whatever DBB. Where there’s repentance, there’s no longer hypocrisy. His repentance may or may not be genuine (not really our concern) but that’s hardly the point of your ill-spirited and dehumanizing rant here. You should be embarrassed.

Bob

posted May 21, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I don’t know whether to call this silly posting hypocrisy or irony. What is clear, though, is that mainline liberalism is unaware of the legalism and judgmentalism inherent in the laissez-faire morality it claims to hold.

Brian

posted May 22, 2010 at 9:34 am

Reading the post, and the comments, shows what the true hypocrisy is in this nation: everyone thinks that their belief is right and everyone else’s is wrong. That is very rarely the case, as most beliefs are opinion. Is Souder a hypocrite? Yes. To a certain extent, we all are. That’s human nature. However, it is not the hypocrisy that is a sin. It’s a cop out to claim you’re not a Christian because of hypocrisy. In many ways a statement like that is hypocritical.
As for forgiveness, it is not up to Ms. Bass to forgive Souder. If she doesn’t want to, that is her business. If his confession and repentance is real, Jesus will forgive. It’s none of my business if Souder had an affair, as it is nobody’s business except those involved. If he decides to run again and people elect him, he should feel free to serve. We, as a society, are too caught up in who is having sex with whom. I’m used to politicians using “Christianity” too hold onto their offices, I just assume they are hypocrites and don’t vote for them.

Bradford Rosenquist, TSG Chaplain

posted May 22, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Dear Author of this article:
How can your father look down from heaven, when he died and atheist?
Are you a Universalist…believing all get to heaven regardless of
their commitment to Jesus?
I am not really sure what your comment was intending to state, but
it is biblically incorrect in all respects.

antmorin

posted May 23, 2010 at 3:56 pm

hypocrisy is a difficult topic to talk about in Christianity but i think u hit some main point and i agree in most of it. From 1 of the comments from Diana Butler Bass, i believe is not true at all, “Jesus forgave sin–but not hypocrisy”, Jesus forgives the person that truly want to be forgiven.

A sinner also

posted May 24, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Forgive me dear Lord for my sin against YOU! Man may say I have sinned against them in order to be justified to place blame and withold forgiveness. I know the truth…I have sinned against you and you alone. Your forgiveness is all that matters. You said that if I have a truly repentant heart (and you see mans heart) that you will forgive. Not think about it or make me pay…just that you will forgive. Teach us dear Lord to forgive like you. To learn from our mistakes and not repeat them and to show others how to forgive as well.
Lord I pray for the person who wrote this blog to learn about your true love. You sent your son to die for ALL sinners….and regardless of the sin….even Mr. Souder, any of the Kennedy’s and whoever else is noted in the posts….Ms. Bass…..and ME! And the amazing part is that you would have done it for even just one. Thank you for your grace and mercy always! We are not deserving in our sin for anything from you, but those that believe and are truy repentant can claim the blood of Jesus and stand before you holy and clean becasue your word says so. So there is now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Thank you Lord for everything!

Rita

posted May 27, 2010 at 6:21 am

So absolute power corrupts absolutely, and some power will corrupt somewhat somebody. All these politicians who come out of the closet, thank God for those that come out. We all have come short of the glory of God. We better remember that. Hypocrisy is not the unpardonable sin, is it? But it sure is a nasty one because we all who are called by that name (Christians) are taken into a bunch and thrown into the garbage. So much for Republicans, but what about Democrats? Well, they are considered loose heads and sinners from the get going, and correct me if you can. IF one is a democrat and a Christian, that is pure schizophrenia nowadays. How can you possibly vote Democrat and believe in God!? So at least if they fall into temptation we cannot blame them of hypocrisy. And that is to answer that comment that was criticizing Mrs Bass going after Republicans only. We were talking about hypocrisy, or that was the main idea in the article, if I am not mistaken, so that is why. To show yourself as a sustainer of certain principles and then to fall off the shelf in such a manner, that is what shocks are made of.

escorts brunette

posted July 30, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Pretty interesting blog you’ve got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.
Julia Kuree

escorts a lugano

posted September 2, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Keep on posting such stories. I like to read articles like this. Just add more pics :)

Sacramental Bea

posted September 17, 2010 at 1:48 pm

“Deacon” Bresnahan accuses DBB of “spewing so much hatred in print”!
I re-read her article and see not one word of hate (unless you count facts as ‘hatred’).
“Deacon”, I challenge you to give even ONE example os this so-called “hate” that she spews. Casting the first stone, and all that. (Or, shall we mail our stones to YOU?)

Hilary Smith

posted March 9, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Pretty nice place you’ve got here. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.
Hilary Smith
girl roma accompagnatrice milano escort